PDA

View Full Version : what is this???

Nigel Heels
July 26th 03, 04:45 AM
Hey again, When I use my brakes I get a high pitched screech, like a whistle
going off.... sort of...
anybody have ideas as to what this is?

Thanks people

A Lee
July 26th 03, 06:53 AM
Nigel Heels > wrote:

> Hey again, When I use my brakes I get a high pitched screech, like a whistle
> going off.... sort of...
> anybody have ideas as to what this is?

Yes, it's your brakes squealing.

Lots of them do it.If you have any adjustment, you can adjust the pads
slightly, so that the front of the pad hits the rim first.Some even
squeal when correctly adjusted,the only way to cure it then is to try a
different type of brake block - softer ones may squeal less.
Alan.

--
Change the 'minus' to 'plus' to reply by e-mail.
http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road Cycling in the North Midlands.

David E. Belcher
July 26th 03, 12:04 PM
(A Lee) wrote in message >...
> > Yes, it's your brakes squealing.
>
> Lots of them do it.If you have any adjustment, you can adjust the pads
> slightly, so that the front of the pad hits the rim first.Some even
> squeal when correctly adjusted,the only way to cure it then is to try a
> different type of brake block - softer ones may squeal less.

Oil/grease on the braking surface of the rim is often a culprit, too,
especially on the rear wheel if oil gets sprayed on it from the chain.
A thorough clean-up with good quality metal polish (the 'paste' types
from Weldtite, Halfords, etc. are very good, but the fishy smell is a
little off-putting!).

David E. Belcher

dannyfrankszzz
July 26th 03, 01:25 PM
It may be that your brake pads have worn through to the metal in which
case, when you brake, it is metal braking against the metal rim. Time
for a replacement.

Pete Biggs
July 26th 03, 04:04 PM
David E. Belcher wrote:
> Oil/grease on the braking surface of the rim is often a culprit, too,
> especially on the rear wheel if oil gets sprayed on it from the chain.
> A thorough clean-up with good quality metal polish (the 'paste' types
> from Weldtite, Halfords, etc. are very good, but the fishy smell is a
> little off-putting!).

That's good for removing nasty stuck-on muck & stains, but just meths on a
rag usually does the job. Riding fast down a steep hill with the brakes
on is even easier!

~PB

Jim
July 26th 03, 09:50 PM
It's a useful noise. Doesn't half attract horse riders, dim-witted
pedestrians etc. etc.

"Nigel Heels" > wrote in message
. ..
> Hey again, When I use my brakes I get a high pitched screech, like a
whistle
> going off.... sort of...
> anybody have ideas as to what this is?
>
> Thanks people