PDA

View Full Version : Re: Would I be mad to attempt this? (route advice)

Doesnotcompute
July 26th 03, 10:43 PM
doobrie wrote:

> yep, definate loony ... but wouldnt let that discourage you!
>
> the rac route planner i find useful for distances at www.rac.co.uk
>
> go for it dnc ... youve already done this sorta distance so you'll be
> fine

well not quite - and I have no idea of the gradients involved.
As you'll know very well, large people on MTB's are very much at the
mercy of Isaac Newton.

> and with the added benefit of a friendly welcome the other end

Oh yes...

> who'll be amazed at the gruelling ride you'll have incentive enough to
> get there

<big grin>

> just hope she lets you stay so you dont have to come back same day!!!

She had bloody better!

--
Dnc

Doesnotcompute
July 27th 03, 10:30 AM
Jonathan Stafford wrote:
> Invest in an Ordanance Survey Map which will give you a very good indication
> of the gradients. The tighter the lines the steeper the hill! As I
> understand it. I would go for it as its beautiful round North Yorkshire.
>
> Jonathan

I hear you, but that route would need 3 maybe 4 due to the overlaps -
not an amount I'm prepared to spend for a route I then might not do.

--
Dnc

Tony W
July 27th 03, 10:32 AM
"Doesnotcompute" > wrote in message

> I hear you, but that route would need 3 maybe 4 due to the overlaps -
> not an amount I'm prepared to spend for a route I then might not do.

Then go to your local library and have a look at the maps for free.

Alternatively, go to www.streetmap.co.uk and look through the whole route.

Doesnotcompute
July 27th 03, 10:47 AM
Tony W wrote:
> "Doesnotcompute" > wrote in message
>

>>I hear you, but that route would need 3 maybe 4 due to the overlaps -
>>not an amount I'm prepared to spend for a route I then might not do.
>

> Then go to your local library and have a look at the maps for free.
>
> Alternatively, go to www.streetmap.co.uk and look through the whole route.

ooh I didn't realise streetmap has OS gradients on - albeit only in one
of the zoom's but it's good enough! Thanks!

--
Dnc

Doesnotcompute
July 27th 03, 10:28 PM
Tim Henderson wrote:
> I had a look at the Sustrans map site to see what they had to offer
> and discovered something called the Yorkshire Dales Cycleway (which is
> probably slower , less direct but more interesting than the direct
> route - Kettlewell to Carlton sounds fun). I hadn't heard of this
> before and then came across
>

> http://www.sherpavan.com/trails/mcyd.asp
>
> as an organisation supporting cyclists and walkers doing various
> trails. Their info sheet available as a pdf download shows height
> profiles of the route .(horrifying to me). Their last two days done in
> the reverse direction cover Skipton to Grinton (Reeth)- in Swaledale
> upstream of Richmond.
>
> I guess if it was me I would look to break your journey at Kettlewell
> Youth Hostel and do it over two days - but good luck.
>
> (Sustrans also had a Lancashire cycleway route that passed a few miles
> east of Preston and met the Yorks one a few miles north of Skipton (I
> think)

thanks for that, I'm also a little concerned by the profiles, but what
the heck. I'm also considering your tip on splitting the journey with a
stop at kettlewell or similar - a wise call me thinks.

--
Dnc

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home