PDA

View Full Version : TOUR de LANCE!!!!

*J* *H*
July 27th 03, 05:23 PM
For a record tying 5th straight Tour de France, American and Austinite
Lance Armstrong has won!
In a Race that stretches 2,300 miles in just 21 days many of those days
climbing through some of the steepest mountains on earth, in a race that
celebrated it's 100th birthday this year only one other man has ever one
5 straight tours now there are only two, one a Texan.
Lance Armstrong after suffering two crashes and several close calls, not
to mention loosing 15 pounds of his own body weight of fluids in one day
of racing which would have sent most men to the hospital for days, Lance
came fighting back in that Texas style of his to pull victory from the
mouth of defeat!

Congratulations to Lance Armstrong!!!

AndyK
July 27th 03, 05:45 PM
> For a record tying 5th straight Tour de France, American and Austinite
> Lance Armstrong has won!
> In a Race that stretches 2,300 miles in just 21 days many of those days
> climbing through some of the steepest mountains on earth, in a race that
> celebrated it's 100th birthday this year only one other man has ever one
> 5 straight tours now there are only two, one a Texan.
> Lance Armstrong after suffering two crashes and several close calls, not
> to mention loosing 15 pounds of his own body weight of fluids in one day
> of racing which would have sent most men to the hospital for days, Lance
> came fighting back in that Texas style of his to pull victory from the
> mouth of defeat!
>
> Congratulations to Lance Armstrong!!!

....erm, you wouldn't happen to be a yank, would you? :-)

Peter Connolly
July 27th 03, 07:08 PM
> ...erm, you wouldn't happen to be a yank, would you? :-)

I'd think so...Texan, even! Possibly from Austin.....

Anyway, Big Whoops to Lance. He won a bike ride. (This is the copyright
'stiff British upper lip' translation of the original post)

Regards,

Pete.

elyob
July 27th 03, 11:42 PM
"Peter Connolly" > wrote in message
> > ...erm, you wouldn't happen to be a yank, would you? :-)
> >

> I'd think so...Texan, even! Possibly from Austin.....
>
> Anyway, Big Whoops to Lance. He won a bike ride. (This is the copyright
> 'stiff British upper lip' translation of the original post)

I didn't see the end .. bah , humbug.

*J* *H*
July 28th 03, 02:45 AM
First off I'm a Texan not a yank, big difference second, uh cycling
group and your not excited by the Tour de France? hum jealous?

Doesnotcompute
July 28th 03, 08:04 AM
*J* *H* wrote:
> First off I'm a Texan not a yank, big difference second, uh cycling
> group and your not excited by the Tour de France? hum jealous?

You are a yank. As far as we're concerned.
Yank is Brit slag for any american. Be them Yankee or otherwise.

I didn't watch one stage of the TdF, except for the last 10 mins whilst
I was doing something in the kitchen. Sure the guys are iron men. 2.3k
miles in 21 days - awesome. But I'm not excited. And I'me certainly not
jealous.

--
Dnc

MSeries
July 28th 03, 08:07 AM
Tell us something we didn't know. You forgot to mention that the only
British rider in the race won the final time trial and if it wasn't
for mechanical problems would have won the Prologue.

(*J* *H*) wrote in message >...
> For a record tying 5th straight Tour de France, American and Austinite
> Lance Armstrong has won!
> In a Race that stretches 2,300 miles in just 21 days many of those days
> climbing through some of the steepest mountains on earth, in a race that
> celebrated it's 100th birthday this year only one other man has ever one
> 5 straight tours now there are only two, one a Texan.
> Lance Armstrong after suffering two crashes and several close calls, not
> to mention loosing 15 pounds of his own body weight of fluids in one day
> of racing which would have sent most men to the hospital for days, Lance
> came fighting back in that Texas style of his to pull victory from the
> mouth of defeat!
>
> Congratulations to Lance Armstrong!!!

MSeries
July 28th 03, 08:12 AM
Troll Alert

(*J* *H*) wrote in message >...
> First off I'm a Texan not a yank, big difference second, uh cycling
> group and your not excited by the Tour de France? hum jealous?

Philip TAYLOR [PC87S-O/XP]
July 28th 03, 12:14 PM
*J* *H* wrote:

> For a record tying 5th straight Tour de France, American and Austinite
> Lance Armstrong has won!
> In a Race that stretches 2,300 miles in just 21 days many of those days
> climbing through some of the steepest mountains on earth, in a race that
> celebrated it's 100th birthday this year only one other man has ever one
> 5 straight tours now there are only two, one a Texan.
> Lance Armstrong after suffering two crashes and several close calls, not
> to mention loosing 15 pounds of his own body weight of fluids in one day
> of racing which would have sent most men to the hospital for days, Lance
> came fighting back in that Texas style of his to pull victory from the
> mouth of defeat!

And just think how much better Lance could have been had he been lucky
enough to have been born a European and thereby avoided having to carry
all that ex-colonial psychological baggage with him ...

(but having seen the concentration on his face going up the final
climb of stage 15, I certainly don't begrudge him his win, Texan
or not : well won, Lance!).

** Phil.

Disgruntled Goat
July 28th 03, 12:22 PM
On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 20:45:01 -0500 (CDT), (*J* *H*)
wrote:

>First off I'm a Texan not a yank, big difference

Nah. You're still a Septic.

>second, uh cycling
>group and your not excited by the Tour de France?

It's been OK, if you like that sort of thing. Not my cuppa, really. I
prefer boxing or sumo as a spectator sport.

>hum jealous?

No. Why on earth would I be? I have no desire to ride a an arse-axe
for a couple of thousand miles in three weeks. I'd rather do it over 6
months on an armchair with wheels and stop for cakes and plonk on a
regular basis.

--
DG

Bah!

marc
July 28th 03, 12:52 PM
*J* *H* > wrote:

> First off I'm a Texan not a yank, big difference second, uh cycling
> group and your not excited by the Tour de France? hum jealous?

If you can't be bothered to get my nationality right and keep adding a
country to a capital just to explain yourself why should anyone outside
the US worry about the Mason Dixon line?

As to the rest of your message I was going to ignore but as you see fit
to argue.

"For a record tying 5th straight Tour de France, American and Austinite
Lance Armstrong has won!"

What is a "record tying"? Either it's a record or it's not, in this case
it's not.

>In a Race that stretches 2,300 miles in just 21 days many of those
>days
>climbing through some of the steepest mountains on earth,

Pure hyperbole there are many more mountains steeper than those in
France, there are even steeper mountains in France than used in the race

> in a race that
>celebrated it's 100th birthday this year only one other man has ever
one
>5 straight tours now there are only two,

No in the a race that celebrated it's 100th birthday this year only one
man "one"(sic), the other didn't enter.

>one a Texan.

Ahhh was that your target audience? Merkin hyberbole has to be rewritten
for the rest of the world, we aren't as gullible.

>Lance Armstrong after suffering two crashes and several close calls,
not
>to mention loosing 15 pounds of his own body weight of fluids in >one
day
>of racing which would have sent most men to the hospital for days,

Most men apart from the other 150 he was racing against you mean?

>Lance
>came fighting back in that Texas style of his to pull victory from the
>mouth of defeat!

Errrrr were you watching a different race to me? I can't remember him
being anywhere near the "mouth of defeat!"

>Congratulations to Lance Armstrong!!!

Finally something we can agree on , a pity I had to wade through Texas
bull**** to get there!

--
Marc
Stickers,decals,membership,cards, T shirts, signs etc

Roger
July 28th 03, 12:59 PM
*J* *H* answer please.

1) What do you see is the big difference (your words) between a native
of the State of Texas (a Texan) and what most people in Britain understand
to be a native of the USA (a yank).

2) Jealous. Of what?

3) Is Margaret Griffey a Texan?

Roger

"*J* *H*" > wrote in message
> First off I'm a Texan not a yank, big difference second, uh cycling
> group and your not excited by the Tour de France? hum jealous?

Tony W
July 28th 03, 01:53 PM
"*J* *H*" > wrote in message
> For a record tying 5th straight Tour de France, American and Austinite
> Lance Armstrong has won!

Yawn. I think we know all of this -- and probably understood more about why
he won.

Please restrain the whoopin' and a wialin'.

Tony W
July 28th 03, 01:55 PM
"MSeries" > wrote in message
om...
> Tell us something we didn't know. You forgot to mention that the only
> British rider in the race won the final time trial and if it wasn't
> for mechanical problems would have won the Prologue.

I wonder if he's even heard of the real hero of the race who went round with
a bust collarbone, came 4th and still won a stage?

Oh -- and perhaps most important to our colonial friend -- is a Yank.

Just zis Guy, you know?
July 28th 03, 02:04 PM
"Davo" > wrote in message

> This is why I dont post things on news groups cus of the pathetic ****s
who
> change the postin from one item to another...

Welcome to the wonderful world of thread drift. A new phenomenon on Usenet.
Well, new until the second post was made way back when anyway ;-)

Keep working on trimming and interleaved quoting.

--
Guy
===

http://www.chapmancentral.com

Dave Larrington
July 28th 03, 02:20 PM
*J* *H* wrote:

[a quantity of guff]

Austinite? Thought that was a type of steel. So they're right. He /is/ a
robot.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

marc
July 28th 03, 03:12 PM
Davo > wrote:

> This is why I dont post things on news groups cus of the pathetic ****s who
> change the postin from one item to another...

Good,could you continue your habit please?

> This original postin was on about Lance ..it changes to slaggin of a Texan
> guy who has the spirit to praise Lance..................

It wasn't about Amstrong at all, it was good old fashioned, inaccurate,
jingoistic chestbeating, aimed at a local audience and ported here.

> I dont give a monkeys tit if a American guy sings and whistles about Lance's
> win....what ever the nationality the winner is they deserve
> all the praise in the world as do ALL the riders to finish the tour
>
> BUT .. Lance more than anyone !!! have you actually read his book,

Yes.
> do you
> know what he has been through with his illness ,
Yes.
>do you know of SOME of the
> sponsers just thought he was a dead man and left him as did some of the
> biggest names in cyclin....

Yes, and your point is?

> People who just sit and pick at posting and have ago at the guy who wrote
> them..get a life you sad gits cus you aint even men enough to clean Lances
> bike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And lack of bike cleaning ability means ,what exactly?

> as for Lance..well done your the Best............

Errrr don't you mean equally the best/ The TDF has been won 5 times
before you know, or does it only count if it's a merkin?

> As for me..YES im a cyclist but only a ''53'' minute man
> and im English.....................
You have my sincere sympathies.

--
Marc
Stickers,decals,membership,cards, T shirts, signs etc
for clubs and associations of all types.
http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

jeronimo
July 28th 03, 03:40 PM
I agree with the Texan fella, why not support and be proud of a fellow
countryman's achievements.

After all I was jumping around when fellow Scot David Millar won the
ITT.

I have read Lance's book a fair amount of times now, and it is
possibly the best sport/biography book I have read. Armstrong has to
go down as one of the greatest ever athletes in this lifetime.

Regards,

John

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 11:23:00 -0500 (CDT), (*J* *H*)
wrote:

>For a record tying 5th straight Tour de France, American and Austinite
>Lance Armstrong has won!
>In a Race that stretches 2,300 miles in just 21 days many of those days
>climbing through some of the steepest mountains on earth, in a race that
>celebrated it's 100th birthday this year only one other man has ever one
>5 straight tours now there are only two, one a Texan.
>Lance Armstrong after suffering two crashes and several close calls, not
>to mention loosing 15 pounds of his own body weight of fluids in one day
>of racing which would have sent most men to the hospital for days, Lance
>came fighting back in that Texas style of his to pull victory from the
>mouth of defeat!
>
>Congratulations to Lance Armstrong!!!

Regards

JohnB
July 28th 03, 03:49 PM
jeronimo wrote:

> I agree with the Texan fella, why not support and be proud of a fellow
> countryman's achievements.
>
> After all I was jumping around when fellow Scot David Millar won the
> ITT.

You mean fello 'Brit' of course ;-)

And he used to ride for an _English_ club.

Get ye back behind your wall ;-)

John B

James Hodson
July 28th 03, 05:38 PM
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 13:53:31 +0100, "Tony W"
> wrote:

>I think we know all of this -- and probably understood more about why
>he won.

Indeed we do. Didn't he win because he completed the course in less
time than his competitors? ;-) This years race is certainly the best
I've seen for a while. Armstrong's five wins were far more exiting to
watch than Indurain's. Just IMO, of course.

>Please restrain the whoopin' and a wialin'.

What's the official u.r.c view on hollerin'?

Whatever ... Yee-ha, Lance but my man-of-the-tour prize goes to Tyler
H.

James

--
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg

the Mark
July 28th 03, 08:08 PM
JohnB wrote:
> jeronimo wrote:
>
>> I agree with the Texan fella, why not support and be proud of a
>> fellow countryman's achievements.
>>
>> After all I was jumping around when fellow Scot David Millar won the
>> ITT.
>
> You mean fello 'Brit' of course ;-)
>
> And he used to ride for an _English_ club.
>
> Get ye back behind your wall ;-)
>
> John B

Our wall? I thought it was built to keep Scots out. Or were they Picts back
then? :-)
--
Mark
Road bike, Mountain bike and

Taywood
July 28th 03, 09:19 PM
> "jeronimo" > wrote in message
> > I agree with the Texan fella, why not support and be proud of a
fellow
> > countryman's achievements.

Because the guy was trolling
as his second post proved.

Patrick Herring
July 28th 03, 09:59 PM
"Tony W" > wrote:
| I wonder if he's even heard of the real hero of the race who went round with
| a bust collarbone, came 4th and still won a stage?

Me2. In the ITV coverage there were occasional references to him doing
something similar before, and needing dental treatment for grinding
down his teeth in pain. It makes me wonder whether

a. it's just him & he's really unlucky but he's used to it now,
b. it's not that uncommon and shouldn't be made too much of,
c. it was a super-human effort & the French should give him the Legion
d'Honneur for services to the spirit of cycling or something.

--
Patrick Herring, Sheffield, UK
http://www.anweald.co.uk

Patrick Herring
July 28th 03, 10:07 PM
(*J* *H*) wrote:

| First off I'm a Texan not a yank, big difference second, uh cycling
| group and your not excited by the Tour de France? hum jealous?

Just to say we're not all whinging Poms here. It was a great race. I
kept wondering what Armstrong's ethnic heritage was, since he looks
like a Celt and the name suggests Scotland or England. At least that's
probably the closest we're going to get to a UK champion for the
while.

Out of curiosity - does the French influence in Texas mean cycling (or
at least cycle racing) get more interest there than other parts of the
US?

--
Patrick Herring, Sheffield, UK
http://www.anweald.co.uk

the Mark
July 29th 03, 08:14 PM
Patrick Herring wrote:
> "Tony W" > wrote:
>> I wonder if he's even heard of the real hero of the race who went
>> round with a bust collarbone, came 4th and still won a stage?
>
> Me2. In the ITV coverage there were occasional references to him doing
> something similar before, and needing dental treatment for grinding
> down his teeth in pain. It makes me wonder whether
>
> a. it's just him & he's really unlucky but he's used to it now,
> b. it's not that uncommon and shouldn't be made too much of,
> c. it was a super-human effort & the French should give him the Legion
> d'Honneur for services to the spirit of cycling or something.

I was totally amazed with his achievment in completing the race. My boss was
mugged a couple of weeks ago and suffered a broken collarbone. He struggles
to lift a pen now.
--
Mark
Road bike, Mountain bike and
I'm getting something special built for me (I hope it will arrive soon).

Philip TAYLOR [PC87S-O/XP]
July 30th 03, 02:57 PM
Patrick Herring wrote:

> "Tony W" > wrote:
> | I wonder if he's even heard of the real hero of the race who went round with
> | a bust collarbone, came 4th and still won a stage?
>
> Me2. In the ITV coverage there were occasional references to him doing
> something similar before, and needing dental treatment for grinding
> down his teeth in pain. It makes me wonder whether
>
> a. it's just him & he's really unlucky but he's used to it now,
> b. it's not that uncommon and shouldn't be made too much of,
> c. it was a super-human effort & the French should give him the Legion
> d'Honneur for services to the spirit of cycling or something.

I broke my collar bone in two places whilst roller-blading
at Crystal Palace; I couldn't/move/ for ten minutes, and
once I could move, I kept that arm locked rigidly to my side.
For Tyler Hamilton to have not only carried on with the TdF,
but to have finished the race, won a stage, /and/ finished
overall fourth is a truly remarkable achievement.

Philip Taylor

jeronimo
July 30th 03, 11:18 PM
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 21:19:51 +0100, "Taywood" >
wrote:

>> "jeronimo" > wrote in message
>> > I agree with the Texan fella, why not support and be proud of a
>fellow
>> > countryman's achievements.
>
>Because the guy was trolling
>as his second post proved.

none the less I am still jumping for joy at fellow Scot (and no I
don't mean Brit I refuse to be patronised by the so-called 'British'
sport commentators, when there is a non-English sportsman in any
sporting event they quickly class him as being British, yet when the
balls on the other foot and it is an English sportsman - you don't
hear British then, oh no Englishman, thats what you hear) David
Millars achievement, chest infection and all.

And Lance is still superb by any standards.

Regards,

Regards

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home