PDA

View Full Version : Cycling the ridgeway

Paul Kelly
July 28th 03, 11:24 AM
Having done the south downs twice (October last year and a couple of weeks
ago) a group of us are planning to do the Ridgeway - starting at the Western
end, train to Swindon and the road to the start.

Anyone got any experience/advice - in particular wrt sensible overnight
stop. We managed 40 mile per day on the south downs with reasonable comfort.

pk

--

************************************************** ************************
All outgoing messages scanned for viruses by Norton Antivirus

mark
July 28th 03, 02:02 PM
"Paul Kelly" wrote ..
> Having done the south downs twice (October last year and a couple of weeks
> ago) a group of us are planning to do the Ridgeway - starting at the
Western
> end, train to Swindon and the road to the start.
>
> Anyone got any experience/advice - in particular wrt sensible overnight
> stop. We managed 40 mile per day on the south downs with reasonable
comfort.

> pk

I cycled portions of the Ridgeway in May 2000, in a fairly heavy rainstorm.
As I recall, the ruts left by 4 wheel drive vehicles were so deep that I
could not ride in them without hitting my pedals against the sides, which
made riding rather difficult. I also remember that the clay surface that I
was riding on became extremely slippery when wet, adding to the
difficulties. A guide book to the Ridgeway that I read made reference to
this problem, and advised against cycling the Ridgeway for this reason.
HTH,
--
mark

Paul Kelly
July 28th 03, 04:24 PM
"mark" > wrote in message
k.net...

> > > pk
> > My memory is a bit hazy, as it was a few years ago, and it was not the
> high point of that trip. But I believe I started near Avebury, which would
> be the western end of the path. I don't recall getting too far before
> getting back on paved roads.
>
> Sorry if I've put a damper on your enthusiasm

Ah, a few years ago. I've seen comments about improvements to the surface in
parts..... more research needed!

pk

Andy Leighton
July 28th 03, 08:39 PM
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 15:24:07 +0000 (UTC),
Paul Kelly > wrote:

> Ah, a few years ago. I've seen comments about improvements to the surface in
> parts..... more research needed!

I've walked the Ridgeway and there is no way some of those ruts are
going to be repaired so easily. From what I remember Avebury to
Goring is not too bad (although there are some bits that are public
footpath only). From Goring I remember the bit along the river had
numerous kissing gates - but there is probably a reasonable route
along roads. There is a steep slippery hill just after Princes
Risborough that I wouldn't want to ride up on a bike either.

--
Andy Leighton =>
- Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_

Tim Henderson
July 28th 03, 08:58 PM
"Paul Kelly" > wrote in message >...
> Having done the south downs twice (October last year and a couple of weeks
> ago) a group of us are planning to do the Ridgeway - starting at the Western
> end, train to Swindon and the road to the start.
>
> Anyone got any experience/advice - in particular wrt sensible overnight
> stop. We managed 40 mile per day on the south downs with reasonable comfort.
>

> pk

A few years back I did Swindon to Streatley twice with the kids. I
camped overnight at White House Farm (right on the route about 0.5
mile from the Ridgeway Youth Hostel above Wantage). The cafe just over
the bridge in Goring does good all day breakfasts (and more). Wantage
might be too close if you are doing the whole length of the Ridgeway
(to Ivinghoe ? - but isn't the route after Goring aimed at the walkers
with loads of stiles etc.?).

I can also recommend Streatley youth hostel (which acts as a base for
the annual Ridgeway walk - the non-stop from Avebury). The Easter
before last I did a leg from Salisbury to Streatley with the last
section along the Ridgeway on my touring bike. I was just wondering if
the tyres would stand the abuse from the flints - when they didn't !
I'm afraid that although I had the means of repair I welcomed the
chance to get out of the saddle and ended up pushing about five miles
to Streatley YH.

Who was it on the group who achieved wonders in the Iron Man race
earlier in the year ?

Tim

I think the state of the route changes dramatically with the weather
and seasons

Andrew Sweetman
July 28th 03, 11:46 PM
Paul Kelly > wrote ...
> Having done the south downs twice (October last year and a couple of weeks
> ago) a group of us are planning to do the Ridgeway - starting at the
Western
> end, train to Swindon and the road to the start.
> Anyone got any experience/advice - in particular wrt sensible overnight
> stop. We managed 40 mile per day on the south downs with reasonable
comfort.

I did Wantage (B4494) to Ogbourne St George about 3 weeks ago, riding down
from Gloucester via Witney overnight, for a crack of dawn start. I have also
done Barbury Castle to Avebury and Wantage to Compton (missed the left turn
for Streatley) previously. (all on an Audax bike)
The Wantage-Ogbourne leg took about 3 hours. Someone has recently been
repairing/upgrading stretches of this section, up to about the standard of a
new Sustrans path. It was bone-dry so no problems with slippery clay. Ruts -
there are a lot, but you just have to stop and change rut on the odd
occasion - watch what happens as far in front as possible - often the "sump
rut" between the 2 main wheel ruts is the best place to ride, or you can
take to the grass on the wide sections. There are also some shortish
sections that are a bit overgrown, so you may get nettled.
I don't remember any footpath-only sections, and the two (short) sections
marked as such on one OS map are bridleway or RUPP on another.

There used to be a cafe at the farm near Barbury Castle, and there's a good
pub in Ogbourne St George (unless you go via Chiseldon). Any other
refreshment stops will mean an off-route detour

Caher
July 29th 03, 12:01 PM
Hi, Yes a group of about 80 of us (yes 80 –a company event) did the
stretch from Avebury to Goring in June. It was very hot so bring lots of
water. Also the ruts can be annoying after a while, as they tend to
bring you to halt or knock you off as happened to several of us. It took
us from 10 until 5 with plenty of stops due to the less experienced.

Paul Kelly
July 29th 03, 03:13 PM
In ,
Caher > typed:
> Hi, Yes a group of about 80 of us (yes 80 –a company event) did the
> stretch from Avebury to Goring in June. It was very hot so bring lots
> of water. Also the ruts can be annoying after a while, as they tend to
> bring you to halt or knock you off as happened to several of us. It
> took us from 10 until 5 with plenty of stops due to the less
> experienced.

Thanks for that - and the other replies - I think we will go ahead and make
the plan!

pk

Tim Henderson
July 29th 03, 05:58 PM
Caher > wrote in message >...
> Hi, Yes a group of about 80 of us (yes 80 ?a company event) did the
> stretch from Avebury to Goring in June. It was very hot so bring lots of
> water.

There are tap(s) - but the locations I remembered for them from ? six
years ago were not the same at Easter 2002. I was relying on one just
west of the main road crossing (?A34 Oxford-Newbury) and was
distressed enough when it wasn't there to raid the cattle trough 400
metres further on. I think I came across a new proper tap a further
kilometre towards Streatley. I survived !

Anyone got any info on the locations ?

Regards,
Tim

Google