PDA

View Full Version : Venice

John Hemmings
July 28th 03, 12:51 PM
Hi, has anyone cycled around the Venice area, Italy. I'm going their on
holiday and I'm wondering if it's worth taking the bikes. Any information
such as maps, routes, etc, will be most welcome.

Thanks John

John Hemmings
July 28th 03, 01:51 PM
Nice one, very funny!

Thanks, John

"elyob" > wrote in message

> "John Hemmings" > wrote in message
> > Hi, has anyone cycled around the Venice area, Italy. I'm going their on
> > holiday and I'm wondering if it's worth taking the bikes. Any
information
> > such as maps, routes, etc, will be most welcome.
> >

> http://shuttlebikeusa.com/

elyob
July 28th 03, 01:55 PM
"John Hemmings" > wrote in message
> Nice one, very funny!
>
> Thanks, John
>
> "elyob" > wrote in message
> >
> > "John Hemmings" > wrote in message
> > > Hi, has anyone cycled around the Venice area, Italy. I'm going their
on
> > > holiday and I'm wondering if it's worth taking the bikes. Any
> information
> > > such as maps, routes, etc, will be most welcome.
> > >

> > http://shuttlebikeusa.com/

They've got an Italian site too, is that a picture of venice at the top?
http://www.shuttlebike.it/

John Hemmings
July 28th 03, 01:56 PM
You never know I may give it try when I'm their!

Thanks, John

"elyob" > wrote in message

> "John Hemmings" > wrote in message
> > Nice one, very funny!
> >
> > Thanks, John

> on
> > information
> > > >

> > > http://shuttlebikeusa.com/
> > >

> They've got an Italian site too, is that a picture of venice at the top?
> http://www.shuttlebike.it/

elyob
July 28th 03, 04:32 PM
"Gonzalez" > wrote in message
> elyob wrote:
>

> The Shuttle-Bike kit has now the special price of E. 723,03 freight
> charges included.

£500 ... phew ... can I just have a quick go when you get yours .. :)

It'd definitely be fun to take one up the Thames. Bit odd though ...

Steve Shaw
July 29th 03, 06:53 PM
If any one could take this thread seriously I would also be interested in
the same as John , can bikes be taken on the trains from the mainland and
are you allowed to cycle on the island itself ?

--
Steve
"John Hemmings" > wrote in message
> Hi, has anyone cycled around the Venice area, Italy. I'm going their on
> holiday and I'm wondering if it's worth taking the bikes. Any information
> such as maps, routes, etc, will be most welcome.
>
> Thanks John

Keith Wootten
July 29th 03, 07:49 PM
In message >, Steve Shaw
> writes
>If any one could take this thread seriously I would also be interested in
>the same as John , can bikes be taken on the trains from the mainland and
>are you allowed to cycle on the island itself ?

Don't know about *allowed*, but there are no roads to speak of, other
than the road from the mainland which basically ends in a multi-story
car park. There are canals and bridges everywhere - it's plenty small
enough to walk, and the water busses are frequent and inexpensive if you
buy a daily or three-day ticket.

In addition, it's often flooded such that you walk along gangways raised
up on trestles, and it's usually busy. A bike would be a real nuisance,
but I'd imagine you could cycle or train across and leave it in the car
park.

Cheers
--
Keith Wootten