PDA

View Full Version : Centaur hubs

Nick Hateboer
July 28th 03, 10:03 PM
My front hub, Camp (Daytona) Centaur appears to making a squeeking noise, so
I tried to open it. Not used to the new hub technology I got stuck after
removing the tiny screw+bult. What do I do next and do I need any special
tools? Does anyone know any useful websites for these type of maintenance
questions. The sites I've seen, including Campagnolo were pretty useless.
Many thanks,
Nick Hateboer

Pete Biggs
July 29th 03, 12:18 AM
Nick Hateboer wrote:
> My front hub, Camp (Daytona) Centaur appears to making a squeeking
> noise, so I tried to open it. Not used to the new hub technology I
> got stuck after removing the tiny screw+bult. What do I do next and
> do I need any special tools? Does anyone know any useful websites for
> these type of maintenance questions. The sites I've seen, including
> Campagnolo were pretty useless. Many thanks,

No special tools required, just two 5mm allen keys and a screw driver.
Allen keys with handles are useful or apparently it helps to stick one
normal allen key in a vice. It's one of the easiest hubs to service -
don't even need cone spanners. Superb design. The parts are like
jewellery!

These hubs are very different from normal hubs (as they use threadless
cones with a separate threaded collar) so ignore "standard" instructions.
FULL instructions are at the Campag website. I think they're fine. Maybe
you haven't found the right thing......

See: www.campagnolo.com/pdf/177-FI%20Mozzi%20Ant%202000.pdf
(The 2.5mm key mentioned is only required for Chorus/Record, I think).

Learn how to adjust the bearings and bear in mind that the quick release
lever will compress the axle so will alter the bearing adjustment.
Brilliantly with these hubs, the bearings can easily be perfectly adjusted
with wheel on bike and q/r done up.
The end nuts need to be reasonably tight but don't use a crazy amount
of force because they tend to get stuck on, needing a lot of welly to
loosen (you might find this when disassembling). Grease threads.

I don't know what that squeak is - not heard that myself (I've got Chorus
hubs which are virtually the same things) or read any reports of that.
They do normally make a quiet rolling whoosing whirring noise. But it'll
be a good idea to clean and grease anyway if hubs have done a good few
miles already.

~PB

Pete Biggs
July 29th 03, 04:21 PM
Nick Hateboer wrote:

> do I need any special tools?

I forgot to mention that long nose plyers can be handy for removing the
split ring, although it pulls out with finger nails if lucky.

~PB

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home