PDA

View Full Version : Re: Progress Report - Unfit person decides to commute 6 miles to work!

Lee
July 29th 03, 10:20 AM
"Phil.Winterbourne" > wrote in message

> Well Done. I would strongly advise getting a bike computer, then you
> can accurately track your progress - very motivational. At first you'll
> be looking at how far you managed to go, then 'Max Speed' will become a
> challenge, and finally you'll be raving to all and sundry about your
> average speed :-)
>
> Phil.

Well, i have bid on ebay for such a device - hope i get it - if not its out
to a proper shop i go!

Im beginning to get into this cycling malarky ;-)

Arthur Clune
July 29th 03, 11:44 AM
Lee > wrote:

: Well, i have bid on ebay for such a device - hope i get it - if not its out
: to a proper shop i go!

Keep in mind that you can buy them new from your LBS for 10 quid+. So it'd
have to be very cheap on Ebay (esp since it might be an older model)

Arthur

Lee
July 29th 03, 11:45 AM
"Arthur Clune" > wrote in message
> Lee > wrote:
>
> : Well, i have bid on ebay for such a device - hope i get it - if not its
out
> : to a proper shop i go!
>
> Keep in mind that you can buy them new from your LBS for 10 quid+. So it'd
> have to be very cheap on Ebay (esp since it might be an older model)
>
> Arthur

It seemed ok - bit £12-13 i think- we shall see!

The Oracle
July 29th 03, 09:06 PM
Are they cordless devices these trip computers? Or are they them old
magnetic things on the spokes that pulses the sensor on the forks every
revolution?

"Lee" > wrote in message
> Hi again!
>
> Did a bit more of an extensive ride last night (prolly 1.5-2 miles) and
> found it relatively easy when compared to Sundays disaster. I did 2 things
> different:
>
> 1. Didnt have a hangover
> 2. took it a bit easier
>
> I managed to get up the 1st hill without too many problems (wasnt easy but
> made it without stopping)!! Tonight I plan to do a bit of the commute
ride
> and see how i get on!
>
> Wish me luck!

Thomas
July 29th 03, 11:22 PM
"Lee" > wrote in message
> Hi again!
>
> Did a bit more of an extensive ride last night (prolly 1.5-2 miles) and
> found it relatively easy when compared to Sundays disaster. I did 2 things
> different:
>
> 1. Didnt have a hangover
> 2. took it a bit easier
>
> I managed to get up the 1st hill without too many problems (wasnt easy but
> made it without stopping)!! Tonight I plan to do a bit of the commute
ride
> and see how i get on!
>
> Wish me luck!

Well done!

I'm a lithe 21-year-old who hasn't done any regular excercise in about five
years.

I'm now cycling the ten miles to and from work every day - most delightful
in the mornings, turn up sweating like a pee eye gee.

However, it's damned addictive and (for a geek like me - you milage may
vary) a really excuse to get out on a Saturday morning.

Hope it continues to go well for you,
Thomas.

Michael MacClancy
July 30th 03, 11:58 AM
In message >, Marten Hoffmann
> writes
schreef ...

>> Are they cordless devices these trip computers? Or are they them old
>> magnetic things on the spokes that pulses the sensor on the forks every
>> revolution?
>
>Ahem..... *both* models have a magnetic thing on the spoke that pulses
>the sensor. The difference is that the cordless devices replace the wire
>with a "radio" signal.
>
>In my opinion the cordless ones have mostly disadvantages:
>- you need two batteries
>- they are prone to disturbances from high-voltage lines
>- they are prone to disturbances from other cyclists using the same make
>- they are far more expensive than wired ones.

- they look ugly.
--
Michael MacClancy

Dave Larrington
July 30th 03, 12:31 PM
Michael MacClancy wrote:
> Marten Hoffmann writes
>> schreef ...
>>
>>> Are they cordless devices these trip computers? Or are they them
>>> old magnetic things on the spokes that pulses the sensor on the
>>> forks every revolution?
>>
>> Ahem..... *both* models have a magnetic thing on the spoke that
>> pulses the sensor. The difference is that the cordless devices
>> replace the wire with a "radio" signal.
>>
>> In my opinion the cordless ones have mostly disadvantages:
>> - you need two batteries
>> - they are prone to disturbances from high-voltage lines
>> - they are prone to disturbances from other cyclists using the same
>> make
>> - they are far more expensive than wired ones.
>>
> - they look ugly.

- and they rarely have sufficient range to meet the needs of us on the Dark
Side.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Lee
July 30th 03, 01:01 PM
"Dave Larrington" > wrote in message

> - and they rarely have sufficient range to meet the needs of us on the
Dark
> Side.
>
> Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
> ================================================== =========
> http://www.bhpc.org.uk/
> ================================================== =========

Dark side?

Lee
July 30th 03, 01:24 PM
"Ian" > wrote in message
> marc must be edykated coz e writed:
>
> > Lee > wrote:
> >
> >> Dark side?
> >
> > Don't go there!
> >
> > Inquiry leads to knowledge, knowledge leads to lust, lust leads to need,
> > need leads to purchase, purchase leads to bankruptcy.
> >

> > The force is yet strong in you little one, learn to commute ( 6 miles),
> > before you succumb the the dark side.
> >
> Do not listen, succumb to the dark side, we will welcome you.
>
> Darth Buck

What is this dark side for I am tempted

Ian
July 30th 03, 01:24 PM
marc must be edykated coz e writed:

> Lee > wrote:
>
>> Dark side?
>
> Don't go there!
>
> Inquiry leads to knowledge, knowledge leads to lust, lust leads to need,
> need leads to purchase, purchase leads to bankruptcy.
>

> The force is yet strong in you little one, learn to commute ( 6 miles),
> before you succumb the the dark side.

Do not listen, succumb to the dark side, we will welcome you.

Darth Buck

Dave Larrington
July 30th 03, 01:39 PM
Lee wrote:

> What is this dark side for I am tempted

Click the link in the signature below, young Skywalker, and you will be
transported, as if by legerdemain, to a bunch of Webby neurons which will
tell much about the Dark Side.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

marc
July 30th 03, 02:45 PM
Ian > wrote:

> >> Dark side?
> >
> > Don't go there!
> >
> > Inquiry leads to knowledge, knowledge leads to lust, lust leads to need,
> > need leads to purchase, purchase leads to bankruptcy.
> >

> > The force is yet strong in you little one, learn to commute ( 6 miles),
> > before you succumb the the dark side.
> >
> Do not listen, succumb to the dark side, we will welcome you.

I would love to, I even know what I want ( carbon faired windcheeter)
without riding one, now persaude the wife! :-(

--
Marc
Stickers,decals,membership,cards, T shirts, signs etc

marc
July 30th 03, 03:10 PM
Tony W > wrote:

> > Click the link in the signature below, young Skywalker, and you will be
> > transported, as if by legerdemain, to a bunch of Webby neurons which will
> > tell much about the Dark Side.
>
> Do not do it -- on the Dark Side lies damnation, hell fire and comfy chairs.

and speed! :-)

--
Marc
Stickers,decals,membership,cards, T shirts, signs etc
for clubs and associations of all types.
http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home