PDA

View Full Version : Health Check ...

elyob
July 29th 03, 12:56 PM
Well, got a warning that our family has high cholesterol, and then my bro
comes back with a slightly increased count .. so off I go. Results back in
today, and I phone up "The doctor will need to speak to you" ... Aarrgghh,
is that a twinge?

Anyway, I get a call back a 'worried' hour later ... and everything is
within reasonably good order .. slightly up cholesterol, but no real
concerns. Best to cut back on my lager intake, methinks. Anyway .. point of
the story is that my cycling has brought my risk factor down as they put it
as aggressive exercise (100 miles+ a week). So good news, and better news in
a couple of years when I take my next test ... :)

(The only bad thing is that the recommended alcohol intake is about an
average Friday & Saturday night ... what the hell do I do the rest of the
time .. <looks for bong under google>)

Oh yeah, and I need to lose some weight .. looks like I'll need to stop
eating crap food as well ...

Nick

Dave
July 29th 03, 01:39 PM
"elyob" > wrote in message
> Well, got a warning that our family has high cholesterol, and then my bro
> comes back with a slightly increased count .. so off I go. Results back in
> today, and I phone up "The doctor will need to speak to you" ... Aarrgghh,
> is that a twinge?
>
> Anyway, I get a call back a 'worried' hour later ... and everything is
> within reasonably good order .. slightly up cholesterol, but no real
> concerns. Best to cut back on my lager intake, methinks. Anyway .. point
of
> the story is that my cycling has brought my risk factor down as they put
it
> as aggressive exercise (100 miles+ a week). So good news, and better news
in
> a couple of years when I take my next test ... :)
>
> (The only bad thing is that the recommended alcohol intake is about an
> average Friday & Saturday night ... what the hell do I do the rest of the
> time .. <looks for bong under google>)
>
> Oh yeah, and I need to lose some weight .. looks like I'll need to stop
> eating crap food as well ...
>
> Nick

Nick!!,
Welcome to 'Getting Old' (tm) ;-)
Cheers,
Dave....Considerably older than yow (probably ;-)

Tenex
July 29th 03, 02:01 PM
elyob wrote:
> Well, got a warning that our family has high cholesterol, and then my
> bro comes back with a slightly increased count .. so off I go.
> Results back in today, and I phone up "The doctor will need to speak
> to you" ... Aarrgghh, is that a twinge?

You've doubtless read of the Atkin's diet - but reading Atkin's basis for
the diet he proposes is quite interesting. Well worth a read if you can lay
your hands on it (BTW, strip out the gung ho US approach to all things to
make it digestible - oops no pun intended). An interesting result of the
diet is increased HDL and reduced cholesterol levels over all. Consult your
GP before adopting any particular diet (they all seem relaxed about this for
the short and medium but not longer term). Not using it myself .... yet.
;-)

Paul Kelly
July 29th 03, 03:13 PM
In ,
elyob > typed:
> (The only bad thing is that the recommended alcohol intake is about an
> average Friday & Saturday night ... what the hell do I do the rest of
> the time .. <looks for bong under google>)
>
> Oh yeah, and I need to lose some weight .. looks like I'll need to
> stop eating crap food as well ...

My cholesterol doctor told me to go home and drink a couple of glasses of
red wine every evening. Now that is what I call a great doctor. I follow
that instruction to the letter. He also told me to cut out the beer, so I
suppose I got it about half right.

pk

Simon Mason
July 29th 03, 04:39 PM
"elyob" > wrote in message
> Well, got a warning that our family has high cholesterol, and then my bro
> comes back with a slightly increased count .. so off I go. Results back in
> today, and I phone up "The doctor will need to speak to you" ... Aarrgghh,
> is that a twinge?
>
> Anyway, I get a call back a 'worried' hour later ... and everything is
> within reasonably good order .. slightly up cholesterol, but no real
> concerns. Best to cut back on my lager intake, methinks. Anyway .. point
of
> the story is that my cycling has brought my risk factor down as they put
it
> as aggressive exercise (100 miles+ a week). So good news, and better news
in
> a couple of years when I take my next test ... :)

My count is only 3.3 and I drink a fair bit of real ale in a week, so I
don't think that beer is the culprit for high cholesterol. Most of it is
genetic as your body makes it's own cholesterol in the liver. Eating
saturated fats does not help either.

--
Simon Mason
Anlaby

elyob
July 29th 03, 05:18 PM
"Simon Mason" > wrote in message

> My count is only 3.3 and I drink a fair bit of real ale in a week, so I
> don't think that beer is the culprit for high cholesterol. Most of it is
> genetic as your body makes it's own cholesterol in the liver. Eating
> saturated fats does not help either.

Yeah, He reckons I'm in a really low risk of anything bad happening and it's
only 6.6 ... Will consider it more when choosing what I'm eating, but it
ain't gonna kill my 'social life' ... unless it gets me first ... :)

elyob
July 29th 03, 05:19 PM
"Tenex" > wrote in message
> elyob wrote:
> > Well, got a warning that our family has high cholesterol, and then my
> > bro comes back with a slightly increased count .. so off I go.
> > Results back in today, and I phone up "The doctor will need to speak
> > to you" ... Aarrgghh, is that a twinge?
>
> You've doubtless read of the Atkin's diet - but reading Atkin's basis for
> the diet he proposes is quite interesting. Well worth a read if you can
lay
> your hands on it (BTW, strip out the gung ho US approach to all things to
> make it digestible - oops no pun intended). An interesting result of the
> diet is increased HDL and reduced cholesterol levels over all. Consult
your
> GP before adopting any particular diet (they all seem relaxed about this
for
> the short and medium but not longer term). Not using it myself .... yet.
> ;-)

Just had pate & mayo sandwiches, hold the salad .. (no salad in my fridge)
... not a great start .. probably have a huge take-away later ...

Succorso
July 29th 03, 11:18 PM
elyob wrote:
> "Simon Mason" > wrote in message
>

>> My count is only 3.3 and I drink a fair bit of real ale in a week, so I
>>don't think that beer is the culprit for high cholesterol. Most of it is
>>genetic as your body makes it's own cholesterol in the liver. Eating
>>saturated fats does not help either.
>>

> Yeah, He reckons I'm in a really low risk of anything bad happening and it's
> only 6.6 ... Will consider it more when choosing what I'm eating, but it
> ain't gonna kill my 'social life' ... unless it gets me first ... :)

If there's a history of haemorrhagic stroke in your family, then a
slightly above normal cholesterol may be helpful in reinforcing arterial
walls. That's what my doc said about my 5.6 level; my Dad died of such a
stroke.

--
Succorso

Dave
July 30th 03, 05:25 AM
"elyob" > wrote in message

> "Dave" > wrote in message
> >

> > Nick!!,
> > Welcome to 'Getting Old' (tm) ;-)
> > Cheers,
> > Dave....Considerably older than yow (probably ;-)
> >

> Bah! I'm 'only' 31 ... ;)

Heh....it's a loooong process. Actually starts about 21 in the male of the
species and 35 in the female, slowly at first but then.....
;-)

Frank X
July 30th 03, 09:07 AM
"elyob" > wrote in message
> Well, got a warning that our family has high cholesterol, and then my bro
> comes back with a slightly increased count .. so off I go. Results back in
> today, and I phone up "The doctor will need to speak to you" ... Aarrgghh,
> is that a twinge?

Things that bring cholesterol down.

Almost total avoidance of saturated fat (Suicide risk goes up)
Simvastatin (or any good statin).
Benecol.

Things that make no difference porridge, red wine, beer.

The truth is at 6.6 you should probably be taking a statin now.

Paul Kelly
July 30th 03, 09:47 AM
"Frank X" > wrote in message

> "elyob" > wrote in message
> > Well, got a warning that our family has high cholesterol, and then my
bro
> > comes back with a slightly increased count .. so off I go. Results back
in
> > today, and I phone up "The doctor will need to speak to you" ...
Aarrgghh,
> > is that a twinge?
> >
> Things that bring cholesterol down.

Best solution is to change your genes!