PDA

View Full Version : Order of purchase advise

Lee
July 29th 03, 04:04 PM
Ok, so in what order should i be buying bits and pieces for my bike commute.

I really need some gloves (my hands hurt a bit), a top, some glasses,
shorts, etc. etc

Advise appreciated.

Lee

Philip TAYLOR [PC87S/O-XP]
July 29th 03, 04:16 PM
Glasses (you have only one pair of eyes, and they are very precious);
gloves (the abrasions after falling without gloves can be horrendous);
shorts (the will contribute a lot to your comfort);
top (you almost certainly have something that will suffice for now).

My two penn'orth!
** Phil
--------
Lee wrote:

> Ok, so in what order should i be buying bits and pieces for my bike commute.
>
> I really need some gloves (my hands hurt a bit), a top, some glasses,
> shorts, etc. etc
>
> Advise appreciated.
>
> Lee

Simonb
July 29th 03, 06:50 PM
>> Try altering handlebar position.
>>
>> ~PB
>>

> might have a fiddle later!

Don't forget to alter your handlebars, though!

<rimshot>

Taywood
July 29th 03, 08:51 PM
"Pete Biggs" > wrote in message
> Lee wrote:
> > Ok, so in what order should i be buying bits and pieces for my bike
> > commute.
> >
> > I really need some gloves (my hands hurt a bit), a top, some
glasses,
> > shorts, etc. etc
>
> 1. Shorts
> 2. Mitts
> 3. Glasses
> 4. Top

Make sure the glasses are halfpint size. They are easier to carry
in the back pack.

Just zis Guy, you know?
July 29th 03, 10:47 PM
On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 16:04:00 +0100, "Lee"
> wrote:

>I really need some gloves (my hands hurt a bit), a top, some glasses,
>shorts, etc. etc

Shorts, glasses, mitts, top, recumbent, second recumbent, recumbent
trike, velomobile...

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony.
http://www.chapmancentral.com
New! Improved!! Now with added extra Demon!

David Brown :o\)
July 30th 03, 10:56 AM
Mitts first
Shorts second
Gloves third
Top fourth
Trousers fifth

Glasses slip in second if are lots of flies about.
Waterproofs slip in second if it's chucking it down.

--
David Brown :o)
http://kitemap.co.uk/stack

Peter Clinch
July 30th 03, 12:14 PM
Lee wrote:
> Ok, so in what order should i be buying bits and pieces for my bike commute.
>
> I really need some gloves (my hands hurt a bit), a top, some glasses,
> shorts, etc. etc

You've already put gloves first, so that's sorted out, though I'd
consider gel padded mitts in the first instance: gloves would be a bit
warm at this time of year.

As for the rest, do you need any of it at all? Shorts do make a comfort
difference, but OTOH they make a faff difference and I really can't be
bothered with special legwear unless I'm going a fair way: how long is
your commute? If it's only a few miles I'd just wear what you'll be
working in. "A top" covers a few bases: if you mean a waterproof, it
will be necessary sooner or later. Glasses are nice at speed in the
country to keep the flies out, or on very cold days, but other than that
I wouldn't bother with anything special unless you're a sad gear junkie
(i.e., like me).

Unless you're planning on setting records and/or it's raining there's no
real reason to commute in anything other than what you'd wear to drive a
car: i.e., normal day to day clothing.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital

Arthur Clune
July 30th 03, 12:26 PM
"David Brown :o\)" > wrote:

: Glasses slip in second if are lots of flies about.

They are number 1 if you wear contacts though since otherwise
the contacts dry out.

arthur

chris French
July 30th 03, 10:52 PM
In message >, Arthur Clune
> writes
>"David Brown :o\)" > wrote:
>
>: Glasses slip in second if are lots of flies about.
>
>They are number 1 if you wear contacts though since otherwise
>the contacts dry out.

And if you already wear prescription specs they are way down the list

(depending on how well your specs work when cycling
)
--
Chris French, Leeds

Google