PDA

View Full Version : Re: [OT] NEWS.CIS.DFN.DE - server change

Pete Biggs
July 29th 03, 11:12 PM
Thanks for posting that. I had no idea the server was changing.

~PB

Taywood
July 30th 03, 08:34 AM
"Pete Biggs" > wrote in message
> Thanks for posting that. I had no idea the server was changing.

Hello Pete
Explain Please
Mike

chris French
July 30th 03, 09:03 AM
In message >, Taywood
> writes
>
>"Pete Biggs" > wrote in message
>> Thanks for posting that. I had no idea the server was changing.
>
>Hello Pete
>Explain Please

new.cis.dfn.de is news server run by the Free University of Berlin, in
the spirit of the Internet they allow free access to their server to
users outside of the Uni.

For various reasons some off us use this in preference to severs of our
ISP (I started using it because I used to swop ISP for dial up and it
made life easier - I still use it because of the unreliability of NTL's
servers.)

Apparently they are changing the name of the server.
--
Chris French, Leeds

David Brown :o\)
July 30th 03, 09:53 AM

Stan Cox
July 30th 03, 10:48 AM
"David Brown :o)" > wrote in message
> "chris French" > wrote in message
> >- I still use it because of the unreliability of NTL's
> > servers.)
>
> I still use news.cis.dfn.de at the moment but supposedly if you use
> text.ntlword.com instead of news.ntlworld.com they are very reliable.
>
> --
> David Brown :o)
> http://kitemap.co.uk/stack

I think you mean text.news.ntlworld.com. I've been using it for a couple of
months and it seems solid.

Stan Cox

David Brown :o\)
July 30th 03, 12:42 PM
"Ben" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 09:53:48 +0100, "David Brown :o\)"
> > wrote:
>
> uk.test is there for a reason.

Thank you for that, I always wondered what that was for.
--
David Brown :o)
http://kitemap.co.uk/stack

Steve McGinty
July 30th 03, 12:45 PM
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 10:48:35 +0100, "Stan Cox"
> wrote:

>"David Brown :o)" > wrote in message
>> "chris French" > wrote in message
>> >- I still use it because of the unreliability of NTL's
>> > servers.)
>>
>> I still use news.cis.dfn.de at the moment but supposedly if you use
>> text.ntlword.com instead of news.ntlworld.com they are very reliable.
>>
>> --
>> David Brown :o)
>> http://kitemap.co.uk/stack
>>

>I think you mean text.news.ntlworld.com. I've been using it for a couple of
>months and it seems solid.
>
>Stan Cox

It's better than the other ntl alternatives, but there have been a few
times recently when all newsgroup access was down and I was
considering switching to the German fella. out of frustration.

Regards!
Stephen

Dave Kahn
July 30th 03, 02:17 PM
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 12:45:12 +0100, Steve McGinty
> wrote:

>It's better than the other ntl alternatives, but there have been a few
>times recently when all newsgroup access was down and I was
>considering switching to the German fella. out of frustration.

BlueYonder has not been that great of late either.

--
Dave...

Taywood
July 30th 03, 06:36 PM
:j3E"chris French" > wrote in message

> Apparently they are changing the name of the server.

Thanks Chris
I thought I'd missed an important message to say they
were closing !!
Mike

chris French
July 30th 03, 08:19 PM
In message >, Steve McGinty
> writes
>On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 10:48:35 +0100, "Stan Cox"
> wrote:

>>> I still use news.cis.dfn.de at the moment but supposedly if you use
>>> text.ntlword.com instead of news.ntlworld.com they are very reliable.
>>>
>>I think you mean text.news.ntlworld.com. I've been using it for a couple of
>>months and it seems solid.
>>
>It's better than the other ntl alternatives, but there have been a few
>times recently when all newsgroup access was down and I was
>considering switching to the German fella. out of frustration.

I don't even wish to give NTL a chance to cause me hassle if I can avoid
it. The ISP side of NTL anyway doesn't seem to understand the concept of
reliable. I allow them to post my email, that's about it (they've even
managed to mess that up a couple of times)
--
Chris French, Leeds

NC
July 31st 03, 12:06 AM
"Just zis Guy, you know?" > wrote in message
> Seen on alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent - others may be interested.

> For all who get their news via CIS.DFN.DE:
>
> The server will soon be down and replaced by <news.individual.de> for
> the german and <news.individual.net> for the english version

Many thanks, I'd not seen the announcement.

(another DFN fan).

Nigel.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home