PDA

View Full Version : Day 3 - Unfit person decides to commute 6 miles to work

Lee
July 30th 03, 09:42 AM
Update.

Went out on the same route as yesterday and found it a bit easier (still
cant make it all the way up the 2nd hill without getting off). Last night
was my first experience of "wet" riding (was raining slightly but not too
bad) and it was ok - no problem when its raining when i go to work then.

Only nearly fell off once (how embaressing) when I misjudged how low the
tree branches were hanging - swerve at the last minute but controlled it -
hee hee.

Im becoming more and more confident on the bike too - im seriously
considering starting the 6 mile commute on Monday - driving along this
morning I found myself judging camber and working out crossings etc.

Ive ordered a cycle computer that can measure speed/distance etc. etc. so
hopefully this will help me to judge speed and effort! Need to look for a
nice backpack and then, all things being equal, ill be ready.

Think ill try and do the 1st "hilly" part of the commute tonight - fingers
crossed :-)

Ill report in tomorrow!

Lee
July 30th 03, 09:57 AM
"Maureen" <maureendotdoigatbtinternetdotcom> wrote in message
. ..

> Excellent. Looking forward to hearing how you progress (:
>
> Wish I could commute, but I think a fairly hilly 21 miles before and after
long
> shifts would kill me!!!
>
> Maureen

Thanks!

It works out perfectly from where i live to where i work is all fairly flat
(with a few ever so slight gradient hills) - just got to do it and see what
happens!

Lee

Lee
July 30th 03, 10:21 AM
"Maureen" <maureendotdoigatbtinternetdotcom> wrote in message
. ..

> I know you are right, but I work permanent nights and the
changing/showering
> facilities are hopeless. See, always got an excuse (-;
>
> Maureen

No showering facilities here at work so i would whiff all day - still, can
have a wash etc when i get here i suppose!

Lee
July 30th 03, 10:49 AM
"doobrie" > wrote in message
. ..

> when i start my commute this will be an issue for me too
>
> my plan so far is:-
>
> a strip to undies with a quick wash with foamy stuff
> then into a toilet cubicle for a hot wet towelling
> followed by the dry towelling
> then the sweet smellies
> and finally the clothes
>
> as i'll be arriving for work earlier than most of the folk im hoping
> this can be acomplished in very quick time and will use a toilet cubicle
> for most of it so minimum time required out in public ... dont wanna put
> anyone off their breakfast but i also dont wanna pong all day either !
> ;)

Sounds like a plan to me - need to give some thought to it - our disabled
toilets are spacious so will probably use them (ill probably NEED them for
the first few days ha ha)

Tenex
July 30th 03, 11:40 AM
doobrie wrote:
> when i start my commute this will be an issue for me too
>
> my plan so far is:-
>
> a strip to undies with a quick wash with foamy stuff
> then into a toilet cubicle for a hot wet towelling
> followed by the dry towelling
> then the sweet smellies
> and finally the clothes
>
> as i'll be arriving for work earlier than most of the folk im hoping
> this can be acomplished in very quick time and will use a toilet
> cubicle for most of it so minimum time required out in public ...
> dont wanna put anyone off their breakfast but i also dont wanna pong
> all day either ! ;)

I used to train early in the morning with a group of friends and almost all
bemoaned the absence of showers etc except one who said he preferred a quick
once over with wet wipes anyway. Cue the strange sideways glances ...

Arthur Clune
July 30th 03, 11:58 AM
doobrie > wrote:

: a strip to undies with a quick wash with foamy stuff
: then into a toilet cubicle for a hot wet towelling
: followed by the dry towelling
: then the sweet smellies
: and finally the clothes

This sort of thing works fine - showers aren't really a necessary thing
for cycle commuting.

Arthur

Arthur Clune
July 30th 03, 11:59 AM
Gonzalez > wrote:

:>Wish I could commute, but I think a fairly hilly 21 miles before and after long
:>shifts would kill me!!!

: It would keep you alive in the long run.

21 miles each way is too far for pretty much most people to commute each
way.

Even if you are fast that'd be 1hr+ each way.

Arthur

Maureen
July 30th 03, 12:26 PM
"Arthur Clune" > wrote in message
> Gonzalez > wrote:
>
> :>Wish I could commute, but I think a fairly hilly 21 miles before and after
long
> :>shifts would kill me!!!
>
> : It would keep you alive in the long run.
>
> 21 miles each way is too far for pretty much most people to commute each
> way.
>
> Even if you are fast that'd be 1hr+ each way.
>
> Arthur

And I`m afraid I`m not fast. I tried it one day on a day off and it took just
over 90 minutes ): My night shifts are around 10 hours during the week and 11
at the weekends. 3 hours cycle commute on top would be just too much I think.

Maureen

the Baker-Bealls
July 30th 03, 12:45 PM
"Lee" > wrote in message
> Update.
>
> Went out on the same route as yesterday and found it a bit easier (still
> cant make it all the way up the 2nd hill without getting off). Last night
> was my first experience of "wet" riding (was raining slightly but not too
> bad) and it was ok - no problem when its raining when i go to work then.
>
> Only nearly fell off once (how embaressing) when I misjudged how low the
> tree branches were hanging - swerve at the last minute but controlled it -
> hee hee.
>
> Im becoming more and more confident on the bike too - im seriously
> considering starting the 6 mile commute on Monday - driving along this
> morning I found myself judging camber and working out crossings etc.
>
> Ive ordered a cycle computer that can measure speed/distance etc. etc. so
> hopefully this will help me to judge speed and effort! Need to look for a
> nice backpack and then, all things being equal, ill be ready.
>
> Think ill try and do the 1st "hilly" part of the commute tonight - fingers
> crossed :-)
>
> Ill report in tomorrow!

You might want to think about panniers rather than a backpack for carrying
your stuff (as long as you have/can fit a rack on your bike. It's much
easier to let the bike carry the load, doesn't affect your balance as much
and definitely less sweaty.

Regards
Julia

Dave Kahn
July 30th 03, 01:58 PM
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 10:50:21 +0100, doobrie > wrote:

>> No showering facilities here at work so i would whiff all day - still, can
>> have a wash etc when i get here i suppose!
>
>when i start my commute this will be an issue for me too
>
>my plan so far is:-
>
>a strip to undies with a quick wash with foamy stuff
>then into a toilet cubicle for a hot wet towelling
>followed by the dry towelling
>then the sweet smellies
>and finally the clothes

That's right. There is always a solution if you have the will. When I
worked at Gillette in Brentford the only shower facility was set aside
for the directors. Naturally I simply used that as no-one had ever
told me I couldn't. GlaxoSmithKline in Brentford, where I was working
until recently, probably has the best cycling facilities of any major
company in Britain. Vast sums of money spent on looking after cyclists
- wonderful. OTOH at Elf Oil in Wembley I simply used the wash basin
in the gents. Squalid, but not a serious problem.

--
Dave...

David Nutter
July 30th 03, 03:22 PM
the Baker-Bealls > said:

> You might want to think about panniers rather than a backpack for carrying
> your stuff (as long as you have/can fit a rack on your bike. It's much
> easier to let the bike carry the load, doesn't affect your balance as much
> and definitely less sweaty.

Even if you don't have a rack or eyes for one there's plenty of nice
alternatives like the Carradice Limpets[1] or large saddlebags that don't
need the rack. Climbing hills is so much nicer without a rucksack trying to
pull you over backwards.

Regards,

-david

[1] Front panniers rather than rear of course.

--
David Nutter > Research Assistant
Rm E326, Department Of Computer Science,

kate
July 30th 03, 04:43 PM
> Ive ordered a cycle computer that can measure speed/distance etc. etc. so
> hopefully this will help me to judge speed and effort! Need to look for a
> nice backpack and then, all things being equal, ill be ready.

If you've got a rack on your bike (or don't mind putting one on)
you'll probably find it worthwhile to invest in panniers - much more
pleasant to cycle with, more stable, you can carry more than in a
backpack and you avoid that nasty sweaty back - you may worry less
about smelling!

Kate

congokid
July 30th 03, 10:34 PM
In article >, Maureen
> writes

>Wish I could commute, but I think a fairly hilly 21 miles before and after long
>shifts would kill me!!!

I cycled the 13 miles to work from Alton to Basingstoke for just three
weeks before giving up and finding a place to live in B'stoke (which
also meant giving up a whole house in Alton that a friend had let me
live in for free).

I didn't mind too much in the mornings, apart from when it was very wet,
but 50-60 minutes cycling home in pitch dark after work didn't appeal so
much, especially after I had punctures in both inner tubes one night.

--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...

Tim Hall
July 30th 03, 11:15 PM
On 30 Jul 2003 10:58:20 GMT, "Arthur Clune" > wrote:

>doobrie > wrote:
>
>: a strip to undies with a quick wash with foamy stuff
>: then into a toilet cubicle for a hot wet towelling
>: followed by the dry towelling
>: then the sweet smellies
>: and finally the clothes
>
>This sort of thing works fine - showers aren't really a necessary thing
>for cycle commuting.

It's what I did for a few years, 10 mile each way (1). I'd add at the
beginning "cool down for 15 minutes or so before washing/changing". I
was able to use this time to do those first thing tasks - reading
overnight emails, post etc.

Tim

(1) New job is mostly driving, carrying stuff to sites, so little
chance of cycling to work. Bum.

In space no one can eat ice cream

Nige
July 31st 03, 09:43 AM
David Nutter > wrote in message >...

> [1] Front panniers rather than rear of course.

I've never used panniers, but thinking about doing so. Is there a
benefit of front rather than rear panniers?

asqui
July 31st 03, 11:23 AM
Lee wrote:
> Update.
>
> Went out on the same route as yesterday and found it a bit easier
> (still cant make it all the way up the 2nd hill without getting off).
<snip>

How low do your gears go?

Dani

Lee
July 31st 03, 11:25 AM
See my day 4 update!!! Noone has replied yet - is it visible???

"asqui" > wrote in message
> Lee wrote:
> > Update.
> >
> > Went out on the same route as yesterday and found it a bit easier
> > (still cant make it all the way up the 2nd hill without getting off).
> <snip>
>
> How low do your gears go?
>
> Dani

Call me Bob
August 15th 03, 10:54 AM
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 09:42:16 +0100, "Lee"
> wrote:

>Need to look for a
>nice backpack and then, all things being equal, ill be ready.

You might want to consider a rack and pannier bag instead of a
backpack? Having your luggage carried by your bike rather than on your
back is a far comfier and less sweaty solution.

Bor Yueh racks can be had for 12 - 15 quid and cheap panniers will be
quite adequate for tootling back and forward to work and the shops.

Bob
--
Mail address is spam trapped
To reply by email remove the beverage