PDA

View Full Version : Cycle Computer

Andy Laycock
July 30th 03, 11:30 AM
This may seem a silly question but not quite got the brain in gear this
morning yet!

I have just bought a bike computer thing to put on my mountain bike as an
extra 'toy' to play with.

The cable that goes from the computer mount to the sensor attached to the
bike is very long and there is a lot of excess if I mount it on one of the
front forks.

I have checked and it will reach to a suitable mounting place on the rear
wheel.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't mount it on the rear wheel, after all
both wheels must be going at the same speed!!

Cheers

Andy

RG
July 30th 03, 11:48 AM
"Andy Laycock" > wrote in message
> This may seem a silly question but not quite got the brain in gear this
> morning yet!
>
> I have just bought a bike computer thing to put on my mountain bike as an
> extra 'toy' to play with.
>
> The cable that goes from the computer mount to the sensor attached to the
> bike is very long and there is a lot of excess if I mount it on one of the
> front forks.
>
> I have checked and it will reach to a suitable mounting place on the rear
> wheel.
>
> Is there any reason why I shouldn't mount it on the rear wheel, after all
> both wheels must be going at the same speed!!
>
> Cheers
>
> Andy

In a word NO !

One possible issue is whether the sensor will be able to be set close enough
to the spoke mounted magnet as there may more space between rear stays and
the spokes than there is on the front forks.

RG

Michael MacClancy
July 30th 03, 12:01 PM
In message >, Andy Laycock
> writes
>This may seem a silly question but not quite got the brain in gear this
>morning yet!
>
>I have just bought a bike computer thing to put on my mountain bike as an
>extra 'toy' to play with.
>
>The cable that goes from the computer mount to the sensor attached to the
>bike is very long and there is a lot of excess if I mount it on one of the
>front forks.
>
>I have checked and it will reach to a suitable mounting place on the rear
>wheel.
>
>Is there any reason why I shouldn't mount it on the rear wheel, after all
>both wheels must be going at the same speed!!
>
>Cheers
>
>Andy

There's no reason why you shouldn't mount it on the rear wheel provided
you can get magnet and sensor close enough. It might even be supposed
to go there. Mine is. (Rear wheel mounting allows you to use it on a
trainer.)
--
Michael MacClancy

Andy Laycock
July 30th 03, 12:41 PM
.. It might even be supposed
> to go there. Mine is. (Rear wheel mounting allows you to use it on a
> trainer.)

The fitting instructions show it on the front wheel. Think I will put it on
the rear wheel, makes it look much tidier as well, less clutter round the
handlebars with the extra wire.

Thanks very much

Andy

Pete Whelan
July 30th 03, 12:51 PM
Andy Laycock wrote:
> . It might even be supposed
>
>>to go there. Mine is. (Rear wheel mounting allows you to use it on a
>>trainer.)
>

> The fitting instructions show it on the front wheel. Think I will put it on
> the rear wheel, makes it look much tidier as well, less clutter round the
> handlebars with the extra wire.
>
> Thanks very much
>
> Andy

just make sure it doesn't pull the wire too tight when you turn the
bars to their extremities. the alternative it to neatly wrap the surpls
wire around a gear/brake cable outer with a bit of tape at both ends to
secure it.

i also find that the 'go faster tape' used for coach-lining on cars in 3
or 5mm wide is ideal for fixing wires to frames neatly. get it from
most auto spares shops.

--
Pete

interchange 12 for 21 to reply

Paul
July 30th 03, 04:52 PM
I'm sure there shouldn't be a problem. I think that most cycle computers
that have a cadance function (and therefore need a sensor for the cranks as
well as a wheel) fit their wheel sensors on the rear wheel so whether your
computer is intended to fitted to the front wheel or either, it should still
work.

Some computers (I think that the Sigma Sport 1600 is one) can be upgraded to
take a cadance sensor at a later date, perhaps yours can in which case the
extra cable might be there to allow rear wheel fitting.

Good luck
Paul.

Velvet
July 30th 03, 05:16 PM
Paul wrote:
> I'm sure there shouldn't be a problem. I think that most cycle computers
> that have a cadance function (and therefore need a sensor for the cranks as
> well as a wheel) fit their wheel sensors on the rear wheel so whether your
> computer is intended to fitted to the front wheel or either, it should still
> work.
>
> Some computers (I think that the Sigma Sport 1600 is one) can be upgraded to
> take a cadance sensor at a later date, perhaps yours can in which case the
> extra cable might be there to allow rear wheel fitting.
>
> Good luck
> Paul.

If you ever suspect you might use your bike on a trainer indoors, it's
worth fitting to the rear wheel instead of front, even though it's a
longer cable run (if wired). Took me a couple of moments to realise why
nothing showed up on my Flightdeck when I first stuck mine on the
trainer (flightdeck is front wheel fit only)! Now, I'm stuck with
having two sets of wiring etc on it, as I can't live without the flightdeck!

Velvet

Pete Biggs
July 30th 03, 05:36 PM
Andy Laycock wrote:
> Is there any reason why I shouldn't mount it on the rear wheel, after
> all both wheels must be going at the same speed!!

It's actually slightly more accurate to use the rear wheel as front
travels further than rest of bike! I'll leave you to ponder on that one.
:-)

I prefer using the front because the down tube is easier to clean and
looks nicer without a wire and fixings on it.

~PB

RG
July 30th 03, 07:51 PM
"Pete Biggs" > wrote in message
> Andy Laycock wrote:
> > Is there any reason why I shouldn't mount it on the rear wheel, after
> > all both wheels must be going at the same speed!!
>
> It's actually slightly more accurate to use the rear wheel as front
> travels further than rest of bike! I'll leave you to ponder on that one.
> :-)

The other issue to factor in when using the rear wheel is any tendency for
wheelspin on either icy surfaces or loose gravel ;-)

RG

> I prefer using the front because the down tube is easier to clean and
> looks nicer without a wire and fixings on it.
>
> ~PB

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home