PDA

View Full Version : Re: punctures

Steve Watkin
July 31st 03, 08:12 AM
Try Schwalbe marathon PLUS supposed to be as near as you can get to puncture
free!!

SW

"doobrie" > wrote in message
. ..
> with my 15 mile each way commute being on my mind punctures will become
> a very real issue for me to be able to deal with quickly and effectively
> and also prevention of said nasties too - as mon-fri id be regularly
> doing well over 100 miles per week (with the odd drive in when necessary
> or when i end up at another branch office at the end of the day rather
> than where my bike is)
>
> currently, my cheap raleigh pioneer has 700/38c tyres - what would be a
> good replacement considering the anti puncture theme and as i really
> dont want punctures cost is less of an issue as getting to work on time
> regularly is high on the agenda - also getting home too!
>
> also, being on the very heavy side is sticking with 700/38c size tyres a
> good idea as ive no idea what effect my weight / size of tyres / how
> highly inflated they are, etc, etc has with regard to punctures, etc ...
> apart from thinking a highly inflated tyre would be more prone to
> punctures???

Peter Clinch
July 31st 03, 09:19 AM
Steve Watkin wrote:
> Try Schwalbe marathon PLUS supposed to be as near as you can get to puncture
> free!!

But they weigh a *lot* more than anything else! I get about one or two
a year with standard Marathons, which is acceptable IMHO.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital

Peter Clinch
July 31st 03, 10:29 AM
doobrie wrote:

> with the weight im hoping to lose longer term (100 pounds approx) this
> wouldnt be much of a problem? - after a couple of weeks im likely to
> have lost half a stone or so which should easily make up for any
> increased weight in the tyres, would it?
>
> or does the increased weight of tyres make for a different kinda ride?

Heavier rims/tyres will change things a bit, but how much is really a
suck it and see job, I'd think.

> also, those marathon plus ones were 26 x 1.75 - my current tyres are
> 700/38c so would they fit? whats the difference between these sizing
> types?

26 is mountain bike size, 700c is the slightly larger diameter typically
seen on pure road machinery. So short answer is one won't fit on the
other. However, standard Marathons are available in loads of different
sizes (I use 16", 20" and 26" flavours myself, and I know there are 700c
ones too), so I wouldn't be surprised if there are more options on the M+.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Peter Clinch
July 31st 03, 01:08 PM
doobrie wrote:

> what are the riding differences of using say a 700x36 or 32 or less?
> does this just mean they get more skinny as the number reduces?

Yes, it's the width in mm.

Rule of Thumb is that the narrower the tyre the less the rolling
resistance tends to be (given appropriate pressures), though once you're
down in the lower 20s there are other tradeoffs so there's little point
even on serious racers to ride on real knife edges.
Wider tyres will generally soak up shocks better and ride much better
over rough surfaces (roads can be rough surfaces at times!), and they're
better at taking loads.

Laden touring typically uses 38 or 35, which is a good general size area
for a "do anything" bike that'll be carting a fair load. You'll go a
bit faster on 28 or narrower still, but only a bit, and the bike won't
take on as many different conditions so well.

MTBs for Serious Mud will use tyres over 2" wide, which are Just Great
in Serious Mud and are absolute purgatory on the road because it's so
much extra work to get them rolling.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Alex Graham
July 31st 03, 08:50 PM
Steve Watkin wrote:
> Try Schwalbe marathon PLUS supposed to be as near as you can get to puncture
> free!!

Yeah, they are the best selling ATB slick where I work. I use kevlar
lined normal marathons (28C) and they havent punctured despite being
used on towpath, road and broken glass.

W K
July 31st 03, 10:06 PM
"doobrie" > wrote in message
.. .
> > 26 is mountain bike size, 700c is the slightly larger diameter typically
> > seen on pure road machinery. So short answer is one won't fit on the
> > other. However, standard Marathons are available in loads of different
> > sizes (I use 16", 20" and 26" flavours myself, and I know there are 700c
> > ones too), so I wouldn't be surprised if there are more options on the
M+.

> > Pete.
>
> thanks ... have found the marathon plus at the same size 700x38 (i
> assume the c doesnt mean anything?) - £21.99 each

I'd tend to go for the marathon because they are cheaper.
All sorts of modern tyres are a hell of a lot better in terms of punctures
than what we had as kids.
Actually if they are "snakebites" what you really need is a track pump
(cheap ones 12-20 quid).

> what are the riding differences of using say a 700x36 or 32 or less?
> does this just mean they get more skinny as the number reduces?

Yep. With all due respect (and good luck to you), you could do with wide
tyres if you are 100lbs overweight.
You won't really get much of a difference in speed between the different
widths if you have decent modern tyres.
I say this as half of a "never quite been BMI>30" tandem team.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home