PDA

View Full Version : Re: Clipless pedals - Shimano M515 SPD

MD
July 31st 03, 08:42 AM
Andrew Johnson wrote:
> From looking at www.wiggle.co.uk the Shimano M515 SPD clipless
pedals
> seem a good option - not expensive and the reviews/recommendations
> confirm the product to be of good value.

I've got a set of these and they are indeed good vfm. Ironically, as
the cheapest SPD pedal, they are probably not the best for newcomers
to the design. I started out using a set of 545's, which have an alloy
cage, that offers extra foot support, and is quite useful for those "I
don't want to be clipped in right now, but I do want to pedal"
moments. This mainly applies when MTB'ing however, so YMMV when using
them for commuting.

--

Regards,

Mark Davies

RG
July 31st 03, 08:57 AM
"MD" > wrote in message
. net...
> Andrew Johnson wrote:
> > From looking at www.wiggle.co.uk the Shimano M515 SPD clipless
> pedals
> > seem a good option - not expensive and the reviews/recommendations
> > confirm the product to be of good value.
>
> I've got a set of these and they are indeed good vfm. Ironically, as
> the cheapest SPD pedal, they are probably not the best for newcomers
> to the design. I started out using a set of 545's, which have an alloy
> cage, that offers extra foot support, and is quite useful for those "I
> don't want to be clipped in right now, but I do want to pedal"
> moments. This mainly applies when MTB'ing however, so YMMV when using
> them for commuting.
>

> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark Davies

I would agree with Mark on the "dual purpose" idea - I am also a newcomer to
SPD and have installed 424 pedals on my hybrid and shopping bikes in order
to also be able to either ride unclipped OR in ordinary shoes - on my
sportier bike I have 515s and they are excellent.

The one other thing I am considering (for my Moulton APB) is the Shimano
pedals that are SPD one side and platform the other as I usually ride it
with ordinary shoes but would like the option of the SPDs for longer runs.

RG

Fraggle
July 31st 03, 02:47 PM
"RG" > wrote in message >...

> The one other thing I am considering (for my Moulton APB) is the Shimano
> pedals that are SPD one side and platform the other as I usually ride it
> with ordinary shoes but would like the option of the SPDs for longer runs.
>
> RG

<I may be making this up>

I think you can get little platforms with old style clips to clip into
"clipless pedals" for those times you want to wear normal shoes.

</I may be making this up but if i am someone should make some!>

fragg

July 31st 03, 03:10 PM
Fraggle wrote:
> "RG" > wrote in message >...
>

>>The one other thing I am considering (for my Moulton APB) is the Shimano
>>pedals that are SPD one side and platform the other as I usually ride it
>>with ordinary shoes but would like the option of the SPDs for longer runs.
>>
>>RG
>

> <I may be making this up>
>
> I think you can get little platforms with old style clips to clip into
> "clipless pedals" for those times you want to wear normal shoes.
>
> </I may be making this up but if i am someone should make some!>
>
> fragg

I have some of these - they came with the bike. Its a plastic platform
with a cleat shape moulded onto the back. The platform is almost
flat/smooth with some textured parts on it.

As I understand it they are mainly there for display purposes, so you
can try a bike from a shop without having to wear SPD shoes. The lack of
grip tho doesn't make them that practical to use for normal day to day
cycling, and I took mine off for this reason (they are double sided
pedals so for a while I left them on whilst I got used to the SPDs). I
don't think they are sold separately.

John.

Jim Price
July 31st 03, 03:16 PM
RG wrote:

> "Fraggle" > wrote in message
> om...
>>"RG" > wrote in message
>
>>>The one other thing I am considering (for my Moulton APB) is the Shimano
>>>pedals that are SPD one side and platform the other as I usually ride it
>>>with ordinary shoes but would like the option of the SPDs for longer
>> > runs.
>>
>>I think you can get little platforms with old style clips to clip into
>>"clipless pedals" for those times you want to wear normal shoes.
>>
> ..... assuming today isn't April 1st that is an interesting product - does
> anyone know if it is true ?

They do exist. If you buy a bike fitted with clipless pedals, they
should come with the bike, because IIRC they are required for the bike
to be legal. I had a pair of these. Now I have one. They were built to
get around a law, not to actually use IMHO. There may be more robust
ones out there, maybe even ones which say Wellgo on them.

I have not seen them for sale separately.

--
Jim Price

http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

Tony W
July 31st 03, 03:34 PM
"J" > wrote in message

> I have some of these - they came with the bike. Its a plastic platform
> with a cleat shape moulded onto the back. The platform is almost
> flat/smooth with some textured parts on it.
>
> As I understand it they are mainly there for display purposes, so you
> can try a bike from a shop without having to wear SPD shoes. The lack of
> grip tho doesn't make them that practical to use for normal day to day
> cycling, and I took mine off for this reason (they are double sided
> pedals so for a while I left them on whilst I got used to the SPDs). I
> don't think they are sold separately.

They also allow the pedal to be sold with reflectors. Its then the punters
choice to remove them.

I have a set sitting on the kitchen windowledge.

Frank X
July 31st 03, 07:42 PM
"Simon Galgut" > wrote in message

> They are good value and work fine, but I found that after 20 miles or so
my
> feet would ache a bit and my ankles start to turn due to the lack of
support
> (that's with proper Sidi MB boots). I have since fitted M545 with the
alloy
> cage and find these are MUCH better and just as easy to clip in and out
of.

Dunno, what you mean support?, you need a firm sole but surely that is all.

I think the position of the cleat fitted to the shoe and the amount of float
are the important things to look at if you have problems

> If you are intending to do long journeys or stand up and sprint then I
would
> reccomend the 545 (which unfortunately cost loads more :( )

If you clipped in what benefit does a cage offer? Maybe your shoes soles
aren't stiff enough

Fraggle
August 1st 03, 01:16 AM
Jim Price > wrote in
:

> RG wrote:
>
>> "Fraggle" > wrote in message

>>>I think you can get little platforms with old style clips to clip
>>>into "clipless pedals" for those times you want to wear normal shoes.

http://www.xpedia.co.uk/acatalog/Xpedia_Online_VP_PEDALS_54.html

is as close as i can find using the great google. (scroll to the last
item)

I am sure i have seen em with clips as well!

Fragg

RG
August 1st 03, 08:01 AM
"Fraggle" > wrote in message
.. .
> Jim Price > wrote in
> :
>
> > RG wrote:

> http://www.xpedia.co.uk/acatalog/Xpedia_Online_VP_PEDALS_54.html
>
> is as close as i can find using the great google. (scroll to the last
> item)
>
> I am sure i have seen em with clips as well!
>
> Fragg

Just the ticket - I would guess that if they have reflectors then the front
ones could be removed and old style clips screwed on (I rather like the
short ones without straps) - I'll bend the plastic with a purchase later
today and report back in due course if anyone is interested

RG

Fraggle
August 9th 03, 12:21 AM
Fraggle > wrote in
:

> Jim Price > wrote in

<was looking for clips to clip into clipless pedals>

> I am sure i have seen em with clips as well!
>
> Fragg

Hah vindication!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3621094568

LOOK only, maybe you can get a spd->look converter as well! :)

Fragg - I am not the seller, nor do i know the seller.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home