PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 Interesting take on business & cycling

Trevor S
July 15th 03, 12:42 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/07/14/1058034939321.html

"It might be golf, tennis, soccer, cricket or rugby - triumphs in these
areas seem to trigger a sales spurt at Rebel."

"Not so with cycling. Even though Australians Baden Cooke, Robbie McEwen,
Stuart O'Grady and Michael Rogers are doing well in the Tour de France, Mr
Heath believes only retailers of elite cycling equipment will reap the full
sales benefit."

""Parents don't seem so keen to promote cycling to their children," he
said."

--
Trevor S

-Albert Einstein

Malvern_star
July 15th 03, 03:40 PM
Trevor S wrote:
> http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/07/14/1058034939321.htmlhttp://w-
> ww.theage.com.au/articles/2003/07/14/1058034939321.html
> "It might be golf, tennis, soccer, cricket or rugby - triumphs in these
> areas seem to trigger a sales spurt at Rebel."
> "Not so with cycling. Even though Australians Baden Cooke, Robbie
> McEwen, Stuart O'Grady and Michael Rogers are doing well in the Tour de
> France, Mr Heath believes only retailers of elite cycling equipment will
> reap the full sales benefit."
> ""Parents don't seem so keen to promote cycling to their
> children," he said."
> --
> Trevor S
> "Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
> -Albert Einstein

Cycling as a sport isn't very popular to start with. BMX used to be a
big sport in the 80s now you hardly hear of it. Most parents will buy
their kids a bike , BMX or mountainbike , some kids will save money and
buy their own bike , it won't be a racer as they are so expensive , even
a low priced racer will be out of reach @ $600-$700. Cycling clothing is
ridiculously priced, shoes - $140 - $200 for an average pair of shoes.
Then you've got that 'danger' element that most parents fear about their
kids being on the road. So it's an expensive sport , it's not popular
and doesn't have that peergroup appeal and it can be dangerous. I was
speaking to a bike shop owner a few weeks ago and according to him sales
do go up during and just after TDF Also club memberships are suddenly
renewed and it's sorta the start of a new season. BTW I wish I was in
Townsville - so damn friggin cold - It's gettin bloody hard to be on the
bike in the mornings. Cheers

Jose Rizal
July 15th 03, 04:56 PM
Trevor S:

> http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/07/14/1058034939321.html
>
> "It might be golf, tennis, soccer, cricket or rugby - triumphs in these
> areas seem to trigger a sales spurt at Rebel."
>
> "Not so with cycling. Even though Australians Baden Cooke, Robbie McEwen,
> Stuart O'Grady and Michael Rogers are doing well in the Tour de France, Mr
> Heath believes only retailers of elite cycling equipment will reap the full
> sales benefit."
>
> ""Parents don't seem so keen to promote cycling to their children," he
> said."

I think it's a combination of reality and perceptions that cause this.
Children outgrow their toys, and keeping a child on a bike until its
teens will require a constant expenditure on components which cost
relatively outrageous amounts, much more so than in "traditional"
sports. There may also be a perception that cycling will get their kids
run over by rampaging vehicles, or that they will fall off towering
cliffs or run into brick walls at high speed.

Cycling does not give an impression of being a team sport, where
interactions with peers are considered important in the formative years.
This, and the cost of equipment, may be why most schools do not include
cycling in their sports curricula.

David Sutton
July 15th 03, 05:02 PM
> Cycling as a sport isn't very popular to start with.

Therein lies part of the problem -- cyclists who view riding as a
competitive activity. Cycling is not a sport, it's a way of life. It's
transport, freedom, exercise in the open air... waaaay more than many any
narrow definition of a "sport".

Jose Rizal
July 15th 03, 07:45 PM
David Sutton:

> > Cycling as a sport isn't very popular to start with.
>
> Therein lies part of the problem -- cyclists who view riding as a
> competitive activity. Cycling is not a sport, it's a way of life. It's
> transport, freedom, exercise in the open air... waaaay more than many any
> narrow definition of a "sport".

Cycling is *also* a sport. It can be a hobby. It can be many things to
many people, as it should be. To promote it as only one thing can only
serve to put off some who may not be inclined to "measure up" to any
self-imposed boundaries of any one definition. Why not let people
decide for themselves what they want their cycling to be?

John Staines
July 16th 03, 12:31 AM
I think the reason kids choose bmx and mountain bikes over racers might
have something to do with the way in which they want to use the bike.

Kids like to go up and down curbs and across paddocks or just racing
around the back streets.

I guess all this can be done on a racing bike as well but it's not as
exactly street cred. also they're not really built to handle that sort
of environment/punishment.

Cheers

John

Malvern_star wrote:

> Trevor S wrote:
> > http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/07/14/1058034939321.htmlhttp://w-
> > ww.theage.com.au/articles/2003/07/14/1058034939321.html
> > "It might be golf, tennis, soccer, cricket or rugby - triumphs in these
> > areas seem to trigger a sales spurt at Rebel."
> > "Not so with cycling. Even though Australians Baden Cooke, Robbie
> > McEwen, Stuart O'Grady and Michael Rogers are doing well in the Tour de
> > France, Mr Heath believes only retailers of elite cycling equipment will
> > reap the full sales benefit."
> > ""Parents don't seem so keen to promote cycling to their
> > children," he said."
> > --
> > Trevor S
> > "Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
> > -Albert Einstein
>
> Cycling as a sport isn't very popular to start with. BMX used to be a
> big sport in the 80s now you hardly hear of it. Most parents will buy
> their kids a bike , BMX or mountainbike , some kids will save money and
> buy their own bike , it won't be a racer as they are so expensive , even
> a low priced racer will be out of reach @ $600-$700. Cycling clothing is
> ridiculously priced, shoes - $140 - $200 for an average pair of shoes.
> Then you've got that 'danger' element that most parents fear about their
> kids being on the road. So it's an expensive sport , it's not popular
> and doesn't have that peergroup appeal and it can be dangerous. I was
> speaking to a bike shop owner a few weeks ago and according to him sales
> do go up during and just after TDF Also club memberships are suddenly
> renewed and it's sorta the start of a new season. BTW I wish I was in
> Townsville - so damn friggin cold - It's gettin bloody hard to be on the
> bike in the mornings. Cheers

PC
July 16th 03, 12:58 AM
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 23:31:30 GMT, John Staines
> wrote:

>I guess all this can be done on a racing bike as well but it's not as
>exactly street cred. also they're not really built to handle that sort
>of environment/punishment.

Even as a 22yo commuter cyclist, I sure wouldn't want a road/racing
bike..

Riding around the streets of North Carlton, Fitzroy and Collingwood
would ruin a flimsy lightweight road bike, and it's certainly not
doing much good for the $500 front suspension mtb that I've modified
for that run either..

(slicks, comfy saddle, $2 shop radio, panniers etc, and I'm thinking
of getting it regeared to give better speeds on flats as I'm already
tottering around at 25-30ish in max gear most of the time)....

Whoever thought deep dish bluestone guttering and laneways was smart
needs to be put on a bike and made to ride over it for all eternity..
:-)

PC

NickZX6R
July 16th 03, 06:20 AM
PC > wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 23:31:30 GMT, John Staines
> > wrote:

>>I guess all this can be done on a racing bike as well but it's not as
>>exactly street cred. also they're not really built to handle that sort
>>of environment/punishment.

> Even as a 22yo commuter cyclist, I sure wouldn't want a road/racing
> bike..

> Riding around the streets of North Carlton, Fitzroy and Collingwood
> would ruin a flimsy lightweight road bike, and it's certainly not
> doing much good for the $500 front suspension mtb that I've modified
> for that run either..

> (slicks, comfy saddle, $2 shop radio, panniers etc, and I'm thinking
> of getting it regeared to give better speeds on flats as I'm already
> tottering around at 25-30ish in max gear most of the time)....

> Whoever thought deep dish bluestone guttering and laneways was smart
> needs to be put on a bike and made to ride over it for all eternity..
> :-)

> PC

This sounds suspiciously like someone who hasn't actually commuted
on a road bike. I've been commuting and riding my road bike first for a couple
of years from Nth Melb and for the last 3 years from Carlton all over the
place, including the terrible Yarra trail.

I think you're underestimating the strength of road bikes. My bike hasn't
been ruined at all, and it's certainly not flimsy. In fact, I'm surprised
at the amount of kerb hopping it takes without ill effects.

However, I can see that a road bike may not be everyone's choice, particularly
if the bike's sole purpose is commuting.

--
Nick

July 16th 03, 06:43 AM
PC > wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 23:31:30 GMT, John Staines
> > wrote:
>
> >I guess all this can be done on a racing bike as well but it's not as
> >exactly street cred. also they're not really built to handle that sort
> >of environment/punishment.
>
> Even as a 22yo commuter cyclist, I sure wouldn't want a road/racing
> bike..
>
> Riding around the streets of North Carlton, Fitzroy and Collingwood
> would ruin a flimsy lightweight road bike, and it's certainly not
> doing much good for the $500 front suspension mtb that I've modified
> for that run either..

Road bikes aren't flimsy. They usually do bigger distances too (in the
hands of an average club racer). 14,000km/year of potholes is common.

GK

John Staines
July 16th 03, 07:03 AM
Hi,

I wasn't saying they were flimsy but you can hardly do jumps and tricks
on them like the kids tend to do.

I love racing bikes and have always had one even as a kid but they
weren't built to go up and down curbs, over jumps or general everyday
thrashings. :o)

Cheers

John

g wrote:

> PC > wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 23:31:30 GMT, John Staines
> > > wrote:
> >
> > >I guess all this can be done on a racing bike as well but it's not as
> > >exactly street cred. also they're not really built to handle that sort
> > >of environment/punishment.
> >
> > Even as a 22yo commuter cyclist, I sure wouldn't want a road/racing
> > bike..
> >
> > Riding around the streets of North Carlton, Fitzroy and Collingwood
> > would ruin a flimsy lightweight road bike, and it's certainly not
> > doing much good for the $500 front suspension mtb that I've modified
> > for that run either..
>
> Road bikes aren't flimsy. They usually do bigger distances too (in the
> hands of an average club racer). 14,000km/year of potholes is common.
>
> GK

PC
July 16th 03, 09:59 AM
On 16 Jul 2003 05:20:12 GMT, (NickZX6R)
wrote:

>> Even as a 22yo commuter cyclist, I sure wouldn't want a road/racing
>> bike..

>This sounds suspiciously like someone who hasn't actually commuted
>on a road bike. I've been commuting and riding my road bike first for a couple
>of years from Nth Melb and for the last 3 years from Carlton all over the
>place, including the terrible Yarra trail.
>
>I think you're underestimating the strength of road bikes. My bike hasn't
>been ruined at all, and it's certainly not flimsy. In fact, I'm surprised
>at the amount of kerb hopping it takes without ill effects.

Maybe if I was 6 inches shorter and 50kg lighter I might agreer..
(I'm 6'5", 140kg), and I power through said laneways and dish gutters
at 25-30km/h.. I would ruin a road bike in no time, and that's
assuming I can actually get my arms that far back and my back hunched
that low..

PC

Malvern_star
July 16th 03, 11:10 AM
Jose Rizal wrote:
> David Sutton:
> > > Cycling as a sport isn't very popular to start with.
> >
> > Therein lies part of the problem -- cyclists who view riding as a
> > competitive activity. Cycling is not a sport, it's a way of life. It's
> > transport, freedom, exercise in the open air... waaaay more than many
> > any narrow definition of a "sport".
> >
> Cycling is *also* a sport. It can be a hobby. It can be many things to
> many people, as it should be. To promote it as only one thing can only
> serve to put off some who may not be inclined to "measure up" to any
> self-imposed boundaries of any one definition. Why not let people decide
> for themselves what they want their cycling to be?

Hit nail on the head!:D

Malvern_star
July 16th 03, 11:10 AM
Megan Webb wrote:
> Actually Townsville is to hot! Think its too cold - check out these
> people: http://users.rcn.com/icebike/http://users.rcn.com/icebike/

They look so warm and comfortable;)

Townsville's beautiful - it's not hot - what are you goin on about?!?:D
I used to work for a shopfitting/building firm in Townsville. Once we
were building gables , eaves and signboards on a shopping centre roof.
We stopped for smoko - it would have been about 9.00 am. When we resumed
work about 15-20 minutes later the sun had melted the insides of two
makita drills - now that's hot! :D

NickZX6R
July 16th 03, 12:16 PM
PC > wrote:
> On 16 Jul 2003 05:20:12 GMT, (NickZX6R)
> wrote:

>>> Even as a 22yo commuter cyclist, I sure wouldn't want a road/racing
>>> bike..

>>This sounds suspiciously like someone who hasn't actually commuted
>>on a road bike. I've been commuting and riding my road bike first for a couple
>>of years from Nth Melb and for the last 3 years from Carlton all over the
>>place, including the terrible Yarra trail.
>>
>>I think you're underestimating the strength of road bikes. My bike hasn't
>>been ruined at all, and it's certainly not flimsy. In fact, I'm surprised
>>at the amount of kerb hopping it takes without ill effects.

> Maybe if I was 6 inches shorter and 50kg lighter I might agreer..
> (I'm 6'5", 140kg), and I power through said laneways and dish gutters
> at 25-30km/h.. I would ruin a road bike in no time, and that's
> assuming I can actually get my arms that far back and my back hunched
> that low..

> PC

Fair enough then. I'm about 70kgs and I don't hesitate much with bluestones
(except in the wet:) and kerb jumping.

> assuming I can actually get my arms that far back and my back hunched
> that low..

Ahhhh...here's your problem - your arms are supposed to go in front ;)

--
Nick

Trevor S
July 17th 03, 09:42 AM
Malvern_star > wrote in news:3f15293a$2_4
@news.chariot.net.au:

<Snip>

> Townsville's beautiful - it's not hot - what are you goin on about?!?:D

I can tell ya in summer after a ride the hills in Douglas (near the Uni),
straight into the river for a swim :) and only ride early in the morning,
so not to bad

Paluma area is good in summer, about 5 degrees cooler

Sweet now though... low 20's ...

--
Trevor S

-Albert Einstein