PDA

View Full Version : Re: Baw Baw Classic

bulgy_eyes
July 18th 03, 01:40 PM
Tony wrote:
> Anybody here ride the Baw Baw Classic last year, I am thinking about
> riding this race later this year, interested as to what gear is needed?

Not sure about the gear, but I think you need a big pair of baws.

Actually, cycling is bawing.

Shabby
August 13th 03, 01:23 AM
martin schindl wrote:
> You've come to the right man here. I did it for the first time last
> year. Very hard, especially when you have to race from Warragul first.
> If you have the money (under $100) I would recommend what I did: I went
> to Cycle Science (my bike store) in Glen Waverley, victoria, and they
> made me a 'custom-made', 'alpine drive-train'. It's a 9-speed trekking
> fox (cause it's cheap) mountain bike cluster (largest one possible) with
> a shimano 'altus' mountain-bike derailluer. The guys there are experts.
> Ask for Daryl, if not Paulie will be there. You will love having the
> spinning capability when your legs are tired. Exactaly what Lance does.
> I would also recommend you go there the week before and just do the 6km
> ascent from the gate house to the top of Baw Baw if you can. I did and
> it helped. If you don't know what you're in for, it will mess you up
> when you race. Be warned it is a very serious climb

Why not just get some bigger cogs and smaller chainrings? There's not
much a 39 x 28 won't get you up that's rideable.

For the record, the Baw Baw Classic is an Open race, so anything smaller
than that is going to put you out of contention anyway.

Shabby
August 13th 03, 01:23 AM
martin schindl wrote:
> You've come to the right man here. I did it for the first time last
> year. Very hard, especially when you have to race from Warragul first.
> If you have the money (under $100) I would recommend what I did: I went
> to Cycle Science (my bike store) in Glen Waverley, victoria, and they
> made me a 'custom-made', 'alpine drive-train'. It's a 9-speed trekking
> fox (cause it's cheap) mountain bike cluster (largest one possible) with
> a shimano 'altus' mountain-bike derailluer. The guys there are experts.
> Ask for Daryl, if not Paulie will be there. You will love having the
> spinning capability when your legs are tired. Exactaly what Lance does.
> I would also recommend you go there the week before and just do the 6km
> ascent from the gate house to the top of Baw Baw if you can. I did and
> it helped. If you don't know what you're in for, it will mess you up
> when you race. Be warned it is a very serious climb

Why not just get some bigger cogs and smaller chainrings? There's not
much a 39 x 28 won't get you up that's rideable.

For the record, the Baw Baw Classic is an Open race, so anything smaller
than that is going to put you out of contention anyway.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home