PDA

View Full Version : New contender for 2003 TdF announced on SBS

Steve Hubbard
July 21st 03, 09:55 AM
Steven Hodge, SBS¹ expert cycling analyst, announced last night the arrival
of a new contender for this years Grand Boucle * Jan Ullrish!

Leon
July 22nd 03, 07:04 AM
Screw the name. and how we pronouce it. we all know who he is talking about
when he says "Ullrich" .
Why dont we import a scottish for the TDF announcer? That would makes it
more interesting.

"Shabby" > wrote in message
> As much as I think Hodgo is a tool, the German pronunciation of Ullrich
> is more like "Ullrish" than the accepted "Ullrick" type sound that Phil
> and Paul use:
>

> 2. "Ch" following "e", "i", "ä", "ö", "ü", the diphthongs "eu" or "äu"
> and the consonants "l", "n" or "r". Whereas "ch" in the previous
> instance was a sound formed in the back of the mouth, this is one
> formed in the front of the mouth. Imagine saying the English words
> "humour" or "humane", but breathe with the tip of the tongue touching
> the back of the lower front teeth.
>

> Realistically you'll never say it properly unless you are a native
> German speaker.
>

> --

July 24th 03, 02:01 PM
..... and further to that, why does the other presenter on SBS think that any
European cyclists name should be pronounced with an faux European accent ?

He doesn't pronounce the American cyclists names with an American accent or
the English with an English accent.

It ****s me.

--
Tony
(Feels like nit picking again)

Remove the .fish after .com to reply
--= This is a fish anti-spam device =--

`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
"Steve Hubbard" > wrote in message
Steven Hodge, SBS' expert cycling analyst, announced last night the arrival
of a new contender for this years Grand Boucle - Jan Ullrish!

July 24th 03, 02:01 PM
..... and further to that, why does the other presenter on SBS think that any
European cyclists name should be pronounced with an faux European accent ?

He doesn't pronounce the American cyclists names with an American accent or
the English with an English accent.

It ****s me.

--
Tony
(Feels like nit picking again)

Remove the .fish after .com to reply
--= This is a fish anti-spam device =--

`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
"Steve Hubbard" > wrote in message
Steven Hodge, SBS' expert cycling analyst, announced last night the arrival
of a new contender for this years Grand Boucle - Jan Ullrish!

Theo Bekkers
July 25th 03, 01:49 AM
"><((((º>" > wrote
> .... and further to that, why does the other presenter on SBS think
that any
> European cyclists name should be pronounced with an faux European
accent ?
> It ****s me.
> (Feels like nit picking again)

That's a very small nit you're picking there Tony. My surname is Dutch
and Bekkers is pronounced the same in English as in Dutch. People tend
to insist on spelling it with ck but <shrug>. One person (in the USA)
corrected it to ck on a form I filled in. :-)

My mother's maiden name is Schoots which is invariably pronounced in
English as Scoots or Shoots. My mother would not audibly recognise
either as being her name. She would not respond to it. You cannot
pronounce Schoots without a Dutch accent and few people whose first
language is not Dutch or German could enunciate the 'sch' sound
anyway. People prefer you to get their names right in spelling and
pronunciation. The presenters are only trying to accommodate that.

Cheers

Theo
You probably didn't say Tay-oh the way my mother did but I'm used to
Cee-o.
Bill Gates spellchecker tried to change my mum's name to Scoots with
Shoots as a second option. LOL.

Theo Bekkers
July 25th 03, 01:49 AM
"><((((º>" > wrote
> .... and further to that, why does the other presenter on SBS think
that any
> European cyclists name should be pronounced with an faux European
accent ?
> It ****s me.
> (Feels like nit picking again)

That's a very small nit you're picking there Tony. My surname is Dutch
and Bekkers is pronounced the same in English as in Dutch. People tend
to insist on spelling it with ck but <shrug>. One person (in the USA)
corrected it to ck on a form I filled in. :-)

My mother's maiden name is Schoots which is invariably pronounced in
English as Scoots or Shoots. My mother would not audibly recognise
either as being her name. She would not respond to it. You cannot
pronounce Schoots without a Dutch accent and few people whose first
language is not Dutch or German could enunciate the 'sch' sound
anyway. People prefer you to get their names right in spelling and
pronunciation. The presenters are only trying to accommodate that.

Cheers

Theo
You probably didn't say Tay-oh the way my mother did but I'm used to
Cee-o.
Bill Gates spellchecker tried to change my mum's name to Scoots with
Shoots as a second option. LOL.

Andrew Swan
July 25th 03, 12:53 PM
> You cannot
> pronounce Schoots without a Dutch accent and few people whose first
> language is not Dutch or German could enunciate the 'sch' sound
> anyway.

A Dutch friend told me once that they way we Aussies pronounce the
swimmer Pieter van den Hoogenband's name (sorry if I misspelled it) is
pretty funny.

&roo

Andrew Swan
July 25th 03, 12:53 PM
> You cannot
> pronounce Schoots without a Dutch accent and few people whose first
> language is not Dutch or German could enunciate the 'sch' sound
> anyway.

A Dutch friend told me once that they way we Aussies pronounce the
swimmer Pieter van den Hoogenband's name (sorry if I misspelled it) is
pretty funny.

&roo

Theo Bekkers
July 25th 03, 01:13 PM
"Andrew Swan" wrote

> A Dutch friend told me once that they way we Aussies pronounce the
> swimmer Pieter van den Hoogenband's name (sorry if I misspelled it)
is
> pretty funny.

It sure is. Can't even get the poor guy's first name right.

Theo

Theo Bekkers
July 25th 03, 01:13 PM
"Andrew Swan" wrote

> A Dutch friend told me once that they way we Aussies pronounce the
> swimmer Pieter van den Hoogenband's name (sorry if I misspelled it)
is
> pretty funny.

It sure is. Can't even get the poor guy's first name right.

Theo

Stefan Drüke
July 25th 03, 03:28 PM
am 24.07.03 schrieb Peter:

>pronunciation (on the ABC) of Vinokourov - 'ViNOKorov'. Don't think
that's
>right.

We pronounce it here totally diffrent, and we write it a little diffrent
to. You can it write Winokurow, too. There is a litte Problem to transfer
kyrillic letters in latin letters. Or perhaps germans much more used to
slawian names - I don't know really.

Stefan Drüke
July 25th 03, 03:28 PM
am 24.07.03 schrieb Peter:

>pronunciation (on the ABC) of Vinokourov - 'ViNOKorov'. Don't think
that's
>right.

We pronounce it here totally diffrent, and we write it a little diffrent
to. You can it write Winokurow, too. There is a litte Problem to transfer
kyrillic letters in latin letters. Or perhaps germans much more used to
slawian names - I don't know really.

Leon
July 28th 03, 01:13 AM
Looks more like a girl's and crook's name.

"Theo Bekkers" > wrote in message
> "Andrew Swan" wrote
>
> > A Dutch friend told me once that they way we Aussies pronounce the
> > swimmer Pieter van den Hoogenband's name (sorry if I misspelled it)
> is
> > pretty funny.
>
> It sure is. Can't even get the poor guy's first name right.
>
> Theo

Leon
July 28th 03, 01:13 AM
Looks more like a girl's and crook's name.

"Theo Bekkers" > wrote in message
> "Andrew Swan" wrote
>
> > A Dutch friend told me once that they way we Aussies pronounce the
> > swimmer Pieter van den Hoogenband's name (sorry if I misspelled it)
> is
> > pretty funny.
>
> It sure is. Can't even get the poor guy's first name right.
>
> Theo

Theo Bekkers
July 28th 03, 02:02 AM
"Leon" top-posted
> "Theo Bekkers" wrote

> > It sure is. Can't even get the poor guy's first name right.

> Looks more like a girl's and crook's name.

I find it difficult to not relate the name Leon to Ponce de Leon. :-)

Amazing how English speaking people think Pieter would be pronounced as
Peter.

Theo

Theo Bekkers
July 28th 03, 02:02 AM
"Leon" top-posted
> "Theo Bekkers" wrote

> > It sure is. Can't even get the poor guy's first name right.

> Looks more like a girl's and crook's name.

I find it difficult to not relate the name Leon to Ponce de Leon. :-)

Amazing how English speaking people think Pieter would be pronounced as
Peter.

Theo

Jose Rizal
July 28th 03, 04:42 AM
Theo Bekkers:

> Amazing how English speaking people think Pieter would be pronounced as
> Peter.

Amazing only to you. Before you get smug, as one example of many,
explain how Worcestershire is pronounced and why.

Jose Rizal
July 28th 03, 04:42 AM
Theo Bekkers:

> Amazing how English speaking people think Pieter would be pronounced as
> Peter.

Amazing only to you. Before you get smug, as one example of many,
explain how Worcestershire is pronounced and why.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home