PDA

View Full Version : Debris on Heidelberg Rd

Claude
July 21st 03, 12:32 PM
Riding along Heidelberg Rd in Clifton Hill about 6.30PM I got this large
piece of very thick wire and metal stuck in my back wheel. Brought me to an
involuntary screaming halt and scared the bejeezus out of me. The wire has
wrapped itself around the hub about three times. Fortunately only one spoke
is buggered and a bit of metal is gouged but everything seems to work OK.
Funny thing was my wife cycled home about 3PM and remembers seeing the same
hunk of junk lying there- next time she says she'll stop and pick that sort
of debris up. First time this sort of thing is ever happened to me- usually
just flat tyres and bad drivers (not to mention bad pedestrians and bad
cyclists)

Deep Floyd Mars
July 21st 03, 12:36 PM
Claude > wrote in message
> Riding along Heidelberg Rd in Clifton Hill about 6.30PM I got this large
> piece of very thick wire and metal stuck in my back wheel. Brought me to
an
> involuntary screaming halt and scared the bejeezus out of me. The wire
has
> wrapped itself around the hub about three times. Fortunately only one
spoke
> is buggered and a bit of metal is gouged but everything seems to work OK.
> Funny thing was my wife cycled home about 3PM and remembers seeing the
same
> hunk of junk lying there- next time she says she'll stop and pick that
sort
> of debris up. First time this sort of thing is ever happened to me-
usually
> just flat tyres and bad drivers (not to mention bad pedestrians and bad
> cyclists)

Midday today on Johnston St, near Brunswick St, there was a whole front
bumper bar in the bike lane!!!!! How the hell could someone not notice that
falling off their car?!?!?!?!?
---
DFM

K&C Russell
July 21st 03, 01:35 PM
"Claude" > wrote in message
> Riding along Heidelberg Rd in Clifton Hill about 6.30PM I got this large
> piece of very thick wire and metal stuck in my back wheel. Brought me to
an
> involuntary screaming halt and scared the bejeezus out of me. The wire
has
> wrapped itself around the hub about three times. Fortunately only one
spoke
> is buggered and a bit of metal is gouged but everything seems to work OK.
> Funny thing was my wife cycled home about 3PM and remembers seeing the
same
> hunk of junk lying there- next time she says she'll stop and pick that
sort
> of debris up. First time this sort of thing is ever happened to me-
usually
> just flat tyres and bad drivers (not to mention bad pedestrians and bad
> cyclists)

Claude,

I came through around 5:45pm and did not see anything on the road. Guess I
was lucky not to pick it up in the dark.

Kevin

Gags
July 21st 03, 03:00 PM
Claude

I changed my commute from Yallambie to Southbank from the road bike along
Heidelberg Rd to the mountain bike along the Yarra Trail. This was after I
was "T-Boned" by a guy in a car who I could have swore was looking straight
at me but he said he must have looked through me. This happened on
Wellington Road on the way home one arvo. I was pretty bruised on the left
calf where he hit me and the right bum cheek where I hit the ground (I was
doing about 35km/h at the time). Both wheels on the bike were buckled and
there were some minor scratches. After resisting the desire to do further
damage to his car and to him (not in that order), I found him to actually be
a pretty good bloke. He gave me a ride home and signed a statement saying
that he was at fault and would pay for any damages. He got off pretty light
as it was only $50 to get the wheels trued and $200 for a new helmet (head
hit the ground pretty hard).

Anyway, I rode in on the road a few more times but I was pretty well getting
spooked by any cars that approached from the left and so for peace of mind
for both myself and the wife, I have switched routes to the Yarra Trail. It
is about 23km as opposed to 18km by road and it takes me about 10 to 15 min
longer each way but I feel that the lack of traffic makes up for it. It is
especially good in the mornings (I leave home at 0630h) when it is pitch
black and the home made front light comes into its own........gotta watch
for the reflection of dogs eyes as there are a few early risers out walking
the woofers.

I just clicked over 1500km on the mountain bike today (all from commuting)
and tonight when I was working on a battery charger in the shed, I realised
that my rear tyre on the bike was deflated (first flat in 1500km so I am
pretty happy with that - I reckon that the floor pump makes all the
difference).

Gags

"K&C Russell" > wrote in message

> "Claude" > wrote in message
> > Riding along Heidelberg Rd in Clifton Hill about 6.30PM I got this large
> > piece of very thick wire and metal stuck in my back wheel. Brought me
> an
> > involuntary screaming halt and scared the bejeezus out of me. The wire
> has
> > wrapped itself around the hub about three times. Fortunately only one
> spoke
> > is buggered and a bit of metal is gouged but everything seems to work
OK.
> > Funny thing was my wife cycled home about 3PM and remembers seeing the
> same
> > hunk of junk lying there- next time she says she'll stop and pick that
> sort
> > of debris up. First time this sort of thing is ever happened to me-
> usually
> > just flat tyres and bad drivers (not to mention bad pedestrians and bad
> > cyclists)
> >

> Claude,
>
> I came through around 5:45pm and did not see anything on the road. Guess
> was lucky not to pick it up in the dark.
>
> Kevin

K&C Russell
July 22nd 03, 11:47 AM
Gags,

You must be just down the road from me in Yallambie. Sorry to hear about
your accident, but I have to admire your self control in not taking it to
the driver. I am surpised he was not charged by the police assuming that
you reported it.

Kevin

"Gags" > wrote in message
> [...]
> > > wrapped itself around the hub about three times. Fortunately only one
> > spoke
> > > is buggered and a bit of metal is gouged but everything seems to work
> OK.
> > > Funny thing was my wife cycled home about 3PM and remembers seeing the
> > same
> > > hunk of junk lying there- next time she says she'll stop and pick that
> > sort
> > > of debris up. First time this sort of thing is ever happened to me-
> > usually
> > > just flat tyres and bad drivers (not to mention bad pedestrians and
bad
> > > cyclists)
> > >

> > Claude,
> >
> > I came through around 5:45pm and did not see anything on the road.
Guess
> > was lucky not to pick it up in the dark.

John Doe
July 23rd 03, 12:37 AM
:
: Midday today on Johnston St, near Brunswick St, there was a whole front
: bumper bar in the bike lane!!!!! How the hell could someone not notice
that
: falling off their car?!?!?!?!?
: ---

lol. Its amazing what rubbish you see on the road. Years ago I used to
ride on the F3 before realising that the old pacific highway was much more
pleasant and the amount of car bits and rubber bits and other bits (bits
everywhere) was amazing.

John Doe
July 23rd 03, 02:06 AM
"Theo Bekkers" > wrote in message
: "John Doe" wrote
:
: > lol. Its amazing what rubbish you see on the road. Years ago I used to
: > ride on the F3 before realising that the old pacific highway was much
more
: > pleasant and the amount of car bits and rubber bits and other bits (bits
: > everywhere) was amazing.
:
: In ten years of riding to work I picked up and brought home:-
: Three pairs of pliers
: a few screwdrivers
: five spanners
: two shifters
: one brass hammer (good quality $100 jobbie)
: one rather large chisel bit from an air hammer
: one surveyor's staff
: one chain tensioner, such as truckies use
: Amongst other stuff.
:
: The bit that worried me was all the disc brake pads lying in the gutter.
:
: Theo
:
:

Wow. I have only ever seen rubbish. I have seen disc brake pads. Numerous
screwdrivers but some of the stuff you have found is bizarre. The surveyors
staff is a good one.

hippy
July 23rd 03, 02:20 AM
"Theo Bekkers" > wrote in message
> In ten years of riding to work I picked up and brought home:-

I've scored (memory fading here):
- countless screwdrivers
- countless spanners
- a nice wood saw
- quite a few large car magnets (great for the fridge)
- lots of coins
- more than one brand new tube of glue
- heaps of those wheel-balancing lead weights from cars
- a few nice hub caps (~$50 ea. to buy replacement ones!)
- a saw guide thing for cutting mitres
- a zippo lighter

These are just some of the things I can remember off the top of
my head. hip.

John Doe
July 23rd 03, 04:32 AM
"hippy" > wrote in message
: "Theo Bekkers" > wrote in message
: ...
: > In ten years of riding to work I picked up and brought home:-
:
: I've scored (memory fading here):
: - countless screwdrivers
: - countless spanners
: - a nice wood saw
: - quite a few large car magnets (great for the fridge)
: - lots of coins
: - more than one brand new tube of glue
: - heaps of those wheel-balancing lead weights from cars
: - a few nice hub caps (~$50 ea. to buy replacement ones!)
: - a saw guide thing for cutting mitres
: - a zippo lighter
:
: These are just some of the things I can remember off the top of
: my head. hip.
:
:

Crikey, I have ridden a lot over the last 20 years of my life. I am going
to have to keep my eyes open a bit more. Although yes wheel weights are
common.

Ben Long
July 24th 03, 07:48 AM
Were all these items all found in the one placeat the one time? Sounds like
a truck load of stuff... literally!

"hippy" > wrote in message
> "Theo Bekkers" > wrote in message
> > In ten years of riding to work I picked up and brought home:-
>
> I've scored (memory fading here):
> - countless screwdrivers
> - countless spanners
> - a nice wood saw
> - quite a few large car magnets (great for the fridge)
> - lots of coins
> - more than one brand new tube of glue
> - heaps of those wheel-balancing lead weights from cars
> - a few nice hub caps (~$50 ea. to buy replacement ones!)
> - a saw guide thing for cutting mitres
> - a zippo lighter
>
> These are just some of the things I can remember off the top of
> my head. hip.

hippy
July 24th 03, 09:51 AM
"Ben Long" > wrote in message
> Were all these items all found in the one placeat the one time? Sounds
like
> a truck load of stuff... literally!

No, all these things were found over many years and many rides in two
Victorian
cities. I know there's been other things, some of which were simply too big
carry back home (no, not parked cars..) but those listed were the common
ones
and ones I could remember.

hip

<snip stuff found while riding>

K&C Russell
July 24th 03, 12:04 PM
"hippy" > wrote in message
> "Ben Long" > wrote in message
> > Were all these items all found in the one placeat the one time? Sounds
> like
> > a truck load of stuff... literally!
>
> No, all these things were found over many years and many rides in two
> Victorian
> cities. I know there's been other things, some of which were simply too
big
> carry back home (no, not parked cars..) but those listed were the common
> ones
> and ones I could remember.
>
> hip
>
> <snip stuff found while riding>

I find Monday the best day for picking up spanners and screw drivers. I
reckon they work on the car over the weekend and rest the tools under the
bonnet while working and forget to put them away. A few corners up the road
they hit the deck.

My collection:
Shifters
Numerous screw drivers
new pack of screw driver bits
assorted small tools
cash

Kevin
coins

K&C Russell
July 24th 03, 12:04 PM
"hippy" > wrote in message
> "Ben Long" > wrote in message
> > Were all these items all found in the one placeat the one time? Sounds
> like
> > a truck load of stuff... literally!
>
> No, all these things were found over many years and many rides in two
> Victorian
> cities. I know there's been other things, some of which were simply too
big
> carry back home (no, not parked cars..) but those listed were the common
> ones
> and ones I could remember.
>
> hip
>
> <snip stuff found while riding>

I find Monday the best day for picking up spanners and screw drivers. I
reckon they work on the car over the weekend and rest the tools under the
bonnet while working and forget to put them away. A few corners up the road
they hit the deck.

My collection:
Shifters
Numerous screw drivers
new pack of screw driver bits
assorted small tools
cash

Kevin
coins

Matt
July 24th 03, 08:00 PM
In the last twelve months
to pawn to get train fair home from Goulburn
that went with my seat.
the one time?&nbsp; Sounds like

Matt
July 24th 03, 08:00 PM
In the last twelve months
to pawn to get train fair home from Goulburn
that went with my seat.
the one time?&nbsp; Sounds like

hippy
July 24th 03, 10:58 PM
"K&C Russell" > wrote in message
> I find Monday the best day for picking up spanners and screw drivers.
> reckon they work on the car over the weekend and rest the tools under
the
> bonnet while working and forget to put them away. A few corners up
the road
> they hit the deck.
>
> My collection:
> Shifters
> Numerous screw drivers
> new pack of screw driver bits
> assorted small tools
> cash
>
> Kevin
> coins

You found a Kevin?!?
:-)

hip
too early to be posting...

hippy
July 24th 03, 10:58 PM
"K&C Russell" > wrote in message
> I find Monday the best day for picking up spanners and screw drivers.
> reckon they work on the car over the weekend and rest the tools under
the
> bonnet while working and forget to put them away. A few corners up
the road
> they hit the deck.
>
> My collection:
> Shifters
> Numerous screw drivers
> new pack of screw driver bits
> assorted small tools
> cash
>
> Kevin
> coins

You found a Kevin?!?
:-)

hip
too early to be posting...

Theo Bekkers
July 25th 03, 01:58 AM
"hippy" wrote

> You found a Kevin?!?

I had a Bruce smile at me, but decided against taking him home. :-)

Theo
Thinking how silly I must have looked carrying home a surveyor's
staff. Still use it regularly.

Theo Bekkers
July 25th 03, 01:58 AM
"hippy" wrote

> You found a Kevin?!?

I had a Bruce smile at me, but decided against taking him home. :-)

Theo
Thinking how silly I must have looked carrying home a surveyor's
staff. Still use it regularly.

July 27th 03, 09:11 AM
hippy > wrote:

> "Theo Bekkers" > wrote in message
> > In ten years of riding to work I picked up and brought home:-
>
> I've scored (memory fading here):
> - countless screwdrivers
> - countless spanners
> - a nice wood saw
> - quite a few large car magnets (great for the fridge)
> - lots of coins
> - more than one brand new tube of glue
> - heaps of those wheel-balancing lead weights from cars
> - a few nice hub caps (~$50 ea. to buy replacement ones!)
> - a saw guide thing for cutting mitres
> - a zippo lighter
>
> These are just some of the things I can remember off the top of
> my head. hip.

Ok, what use are wheel balancing weights? Do you balance your own car
wheels?

GK

July 27th 03, 09:11 AM
hippy > wrote:

> "Theo Bekkers" > wrote in message
> > In ten years of riding to work I picked up and brought home:-
>
> I've scored (memory fading here):
> - countless screwdrivers
> - countless spanners
> - a nice wood saw
> - quite a few large car magnets (great for the fridge)
> - lots of coins
> - more than one brand new tube of glue
> - heaps of those wheel-balancing lead weights from cars
> - a few nice hub caps (~$50 ea. to buy replacement ones!)
> - a saw guide thing for cutting mitres
> - a zippo lighter
>
> These are just some of the things I can remember off the top of
> my head. hip.

Ok, what use are wheel balancing weights? Do you balance your own car
wheels?

GK

David J Richardson
July 27th 03, 12:03 PM
I hate this thread now -- my rear tire went *pop* just after I crossed
the Merri Creek on the way back from the footy last evening... Didn't
identify the culprit.

Ah well, that's the first time I've got through two years puncture-free!

--
David J Richardson --
http://davidj.richardson.name/ -- Dr Who articles/interviews/reviews

David J Richardson
July 27th 03, 12:03 PM
I hate this thread now -- my rear tire went *pop* just after I crossed
the Merri Creek on the way back from the footy last evening... Didn't
identify the culprit.

Ah well, that's the first time I've got through two years puncture-free!

--
David J Richardson --
http://davidj.richardson.name/ -- Dr Who articles/interviews/reviews
http://www.boomerang.org.au/ -- Boomerang Association of Australia

Scotty
July 27th 03, 12:28 PM
they are made of lead...great for making sinkers if you are a fisherman (or
person or whatever it is these days)
saves buying them at inflated prices from tackles shops.

if not I have no idea what people would do with them...maybe cash in at a
recycle place??

"g" > wrote in message
> hippy > wrote:
>
> > "Theo Bekkers" > wrote in message
> > > In ten years of riding to work I picked up and brought home:-
> >
> > I've scored (memory fading here):
> > - countless screwdrivers
> > - countless spanners
> > - a nice wood saw
> > - quite a few large car magnets (great for the fridge)
> > - lots of coins
> > - more than one brand new tube of glue
> > - heaps of those wheel-balancing lead weights from cars
> > - a few nice hub caps (~$50 ea. to buy replacement ones!)
> > - a saw guide thing for cutting mitres
> > - a zippo lighter
> >
> > These are just some of the things I can remember off the top of
> > my head. hip.
>
> Ok, what use are wheel balancing weights? Do you balance your own car
> wheels?
>
> GK

hippy
July 27th 03, 11:22 PM
"Scotty" > wrote in message
> they are made of lead...great for making sinkers if you are a
fisherman (or
> person or whatever it is these days)
> saves buying them at inflated prices from tackles shops.

That's the precise reason I used to nab them. My Dad makes
his own sinkers with the wheel weights (and any other lead
sourse). He melts it down using a portable camp stove and
a little pot, then pours it into a sinker mould - which you can
buy from outdoor/fishing stores.

hippy
- not a crazy person who collects wheel weights... really! ;-)

hippy
July 27th 03, 11:22 PM
"Scotty" > wrote in message
> they are made of lead...great for making sinkers if you are a
fisherman (or
> person or whatever it is these days)
> saves buying them at inflated prices from tackles shops.

That's the precise reason I used to nab them. My Dad makes
his own sinkers with the wheel weights (and any other lead
sourse). He melts it down using a portable camp stove and
a little pot, then pours it into a sinker mould - which you can
buy from outdoor/fishing stores.

hippy
- not a crazy person who collects wheel weights... really! ;-)

D&M johnston
July 28th 03, 03:11 AM
"g" > wrote in message
> hippy > wrote:
>
> > "Theo Bekkers" > wrote in message
> > > In ten years of riding to work I picked up and brought home:-
> >
> > I've scored (memory fading here):
> > - countless screwdrivers
> > - countless spanners
> > - a nice wood saw
> > - quite a few large car magnets (great for the fridge)
> > - lots of coins
> > - more than one brand new tube of glue
> > - heaps of those wheel-balancing lead weights from cars
> > - a few nice hub caps (~$50 ea. to buy replacement ones!)
> > - a saw guide thing for cutting mitres
> > - a zippo lighter
> >
> > These are just some of the things I can remember off the top of
> > my head. hip.
>
> Ok, what use are wheel balancing weights? Do you balance your own car
> wheels?
>
> GK

Maybe you can give them to a fisherman who can heat & reshape them into
sinkers......

DJ

D&M johnston
July 28th 03, 03:11 AM
"g" > wrote in message
> hippy > wrote:
>
> > "Theo Bekkers" > wrote in message
> > > In ten years of riding to work I picked up and brought home:-
> >
> > I've scored (memory fading here):
> > - countless screwdrivers
> > - countless spanners
> > - a nice wood saw
> > - quite a few large car magnets (great for the fridge)
> > - lots of coins
> > - more than one brand new tube of glue
> > - heaps of those wheel-balancing lead weights from cars
> > - a few nice hub caps (~$50 ea. to buy replacement ones!)
> > - a saw guide thing for cutting mitres
> > - a zippo lighter
> >
> > These are just some of the things I can remember off the top of
> > my head. hip.
>
> Ok, what use are wheel balancing weights? Do you balance your own car
> wheels?
>
> GK

Maybe you can give them to a fisherman who can heat & reshape them into
sinkers......

DJ

John Doe
July 28th 03, 10:07 AM
: Ah well, that's the first time I've got through two years puncture-free!
:

Now here it comes. I went through about 18months of daily commuting of
42k's a day without a puncture. Then wham. Got a spate of them. I bought
Mr Tuffies. So far so good.

John Doe
July 28th 03, 10:07 AM
: Ah well, that's the first time I've got through two years puncture-free!
:

Now here it comes. I went through about 18months of daily commuting of
42k's a day without a puncture. Then wham. Got a spate of them. I bought
Mr Tuffies. So far so good.

Peter Cremasco
July 28th 03, 10:31 PM
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 09:07:00 GMT, "John Doe"
> wrote:

>: Ah well, that's the first time I've got through two years puncture-free!
>:
>
>Now here it comes. I went through about 18months of daily commuting of
>42k's a day without a puncture. Then wham. Got a spate of them. I bought
>Mr Tuffies. So far so good.

Ahh. But how do you know that the 'so far so good' isn't just a repeat
of the original 18 months without a puncture? :)

---
Cheers

PeterC

[Rushing headlong: out of control - and there ain't no stopping]
[and there's nothing you can do about it at all]

Peter Cremasco
July 28th 03, 10:31 PM
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 09:07:00 GMT, "John Doe"
> wrote:

>: Ah well, that's the first time I've got through two years puncture-free!
>:
>
>Now here it comes. I went through about 18months of daily commuting of
>42k's a day without a puncture. Then wham. Got a spate of them. I bought
>Mr Tuffies. So far so good.

Ahh. But how do you know that the 'so far so good' isn't just a repeat
of the original 18 months without a puncture? :)

---
Cheers

PeterC

[Rushing headlong: out of control - and there ain't no stopping]
[and there's nothing you can do about it at all]

Theo Bekkers
July 29th 03, 12:05 PM
"hippy" wrote
> "Theo Bekkers" wrote

> > I used to use them to make projectile balls for my .44 black
powder
> pistol.

> Gee, you're not gonna get many cars with one of those.. too long to
> reload man! What about a nice, new-fangled auto?

I could have six shots and then a five minute reload period. It takes
about five minutes for the smoke to clear anyway. :-)

Theo

Theo Bekkers
July 29th 03, 12:05 PM
"hippy" wrote
> "Theo Bekkers" wrote

> > I used to use them to make projectile balls for my .44 black
powder
> pistol.

> Gee, you're not gonna get many cars with one of those.. too long to
> reload man! What about a nice, new-fangled auto?

I could have six shots and then a five minute reload period. It takes
about five minutes for the smoke to clear anyway. :-)

Theo

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home