PDA

View Full Version : Re: Questions on Heart-Rate Monitors - which brand?

John Tserkezis
July 27th 03, 01:43 AM
marc_9 wrote:

> However yesterday I came across another lesser known brand called
> Atech. Appears to have all the features of the Polar A3 and more like
> bike mount and a backlight. The price of this was an incredible Aussie
> $80! These are available from Tandy shops.
> Does anyone have further brand/price suggestions for HRMs? What is the
> Atech like? Is it worth my while or should I go all the way with the
> Polar A3?

I first bought an el-cheapo AU$80 unit, that claimed a three month life on
the chest strap, and a one year life on the wris****ch reciever. What I
actually had was years worth of life out of the chest unit, and buggered if I
could get more than two months out of the watch.

For the rather inflated prices of the polars and lack of battery changability
on their chest units, they both last a whole lot longer and were a WHOLE lot
more reliable.

For what I was spending on the old one on batteries, I gained in reliability
and functionality with the polar. Though on that note, I remember seeing some
posts regarding other units that compared favourably with the polars, and were
cheaper. As always, www.groups.google.com is your friend.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622 <http://counter.li.org>

John Tserkezis
July 27th 03, 01:43 AM
marc_9 wrote:

> However yesterday I came across another lesser known brand called
> Atech. Appears to have all the features of the Polar A3 and more like
> bike mount and a backlight. The price of this was an incredible Aussie
> $80! These are available from Tandy shops.
> Does anyone have further brand/price suggestions for HRMs? What is the
> Atech like? Is it worth my while or should I go all the way with the
> Polar A3?

I first bought an el-cheapo AU$80 unit, that claimed a three month life on
the chest strap, and a one year life on the wris****ch reciever. What I
actually had was years worth of life out of the chest unit, and buggered if I
could get more than two months out of the watch.

For the rather inflated prices of the polars and lack of battery changability
on their chest units, they both last a whole lot longer and were a WHOLE lot
more reliable.

For what I was spending on the old one on batteries, I gained in reliability
and functionality with the polar. Though on that note, I remember seeing some
posts regarding other units that compared favourably with the polars, and were
cheaper. As always, www.groups.google.com is your friend.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622 <http://counter.li.org>

Nick Payne
July 27th 03, 05:35 AM
I have one Polar (can't remember the model), one Cateye (MSC3dx), and one
Ciclosport (HAC4). The latter two are integrated into a bike computer. They
all function ok as an HRM. The Ciclosport is easiest to use, and Cateye most
difficult. The Ciclosport and Cateye both have user-replaceable battery in
the transmitter, the Polar does not. The Cateye is the only one that shows
three different items on the display at once - useful in a time trial where
I view cadence, HR, and time.

If I had to buy one again, I would buy the Ciclosport.

Nick

ps. I've never heard of Atech.

om...

"marc_9" > wrote in message
om...
> I'm presently in the market for a reliable HRM.
> So far I've only come across two brands - Polar and Atech.
> Of course Polar is by far the more respected brand, and I have already
> think the series A3 (HR limits, zone pointer, Av HR, stopwatch etc)
> has the features I want. The price appears to fluctuate around Aussie
> $199.
> However yesterday I came across another lesser known brand called
> Atech. Appears to have all the features of the Polar A3 and more like
> bike mount and a backlight. The price of this was an incredible Aussie
> $80! These are available from Tandy shops.
> Does anyone have further brand/price suggestions for HRMs? What is the
> Atech like? Is it worth my while or should I go all the way with the
> Polar A3?

July 27th 03, 07:39 AM
HR monitors are out in all types of weather and at least I know the
Polar stuff lasts. Anyways, Nashbar has the A3 for USD 72 which computes
to only AUD 110.

http://tinyurl.com/i6dd

cheers
GK

marc_9 > wrote:

> I'm presently in the market for a reliable HRM.
> So far I've only come across two brands - Polar and Atech.
> Of course Polar is by far the more respected brand, and I have already
> think the series A3 (HR limits, zone pointer, Av HR, stopwatch etc)
> has the features I want. The price appears to fluctuate around Aussie
> $199.
> However yesterday I came across another lesser known brand called
> Atech. Appears to have all the features of the Polar A3 and more like
> bike mount and a backlight. The price of this was an incredible Aussie
> $80! These are available from Tandy shops.
> Does anyone have further brand/price suggestions for HRMs? What is the
> Atech like? Is it worth my while or should I go all the way with the
> Polar A3?
> Regards,
> marc

Etxy
July 27th 03, 09:40 AM
I have a Reebok heart rate monitor, with more features then a Polar
A3/A5 at a price of $160aus or so....you can have a look at the Reebok
heart rate monitors at
http://www.healthchecksystems.com/cardioreebok.htm

I'd say that its well worth checking out other brand besides Polar. :)

--
"I loved the feeling of riding downhill-
admiring the scenery then running

Etxy
July 27th 03, 09:40 AM
I have a Reebok heart rate monitor, with more features then a Polar
A3/A5 at a price of $160aus or so....you can have a look at the Reebok
heart rate monitors at
http://www.healthchecksystems.com/cardioreebok.htm

I'd say that its well worth checking out other brand besides Polar. :)

--
"I loved the feeling of riding downhill-
admiring the scenery then running
over it at high speed"

Andrew Swan
July 27th 03, 11:10 AM
marc_9 wrote:
> I'm presently in the market for a reliable HRM.
> So far I've only come across two brands - Polar and Atech.

I use a Cateye CC-HB100, a combined bike computer and HRM. See:

http://www.cateye.com/detail.php?products_id=58

The bike computer functions are:

- current/max/avg speeds (one of these visible at any time)
- odo
- trip distance
- clock
- trip time (no splits or lap timers or anything fancy)

The HRM can operate in either average or current mode, with visual
warnings (i.e. no beeps) if you go under/over your preset HR limits. As
you can see from the web site, the HR info is continually displayed
right next to the speed info.

I got my original one on sale for A$99, but had to replace the main unit
(by buying a whole new set for $200) when it fell off my bars during a
race. At least I have two chest units now, and the extra cable came in
handy when the first one broke (I just got another one for A$24 from
Maroubra Cycles).

It's performed well in all conditions except for the 1999 (?) Sydney to
Gong when it absolutely chucked down (causing the ride to be closed
later) and the speedo stopped reading speed (so I had no idea how I was
going "contre le montre").

I'd prefer a speedo with cadence function, but if you are happy with the
functions listed above, I'd recommend it if you can buy it for around
the $200 mark (and if you don't already have a speedo). Also it's cool
not having two separate units to fit/remove/carry/buy batteries for.

HTH,

&roo

Andrew Swan
July 27th 03, 11:10 AM
marc_9 wrote:
> I'm presently in the market for a reliable HRM.
> So far I've only come across two brands - Polar and Atech.

I use a Cateye CC-HB100, a combined bike computer and HRM. See:

http://www.cateye.com/detail.php?products_id=58

The bike computer functions are:

- current/max/avg speeds (one of these visible at any time)
- odo
- trip distance
- clock
- trip time (no splits or lap timers or anything fancy)

The HRM can operate in either average or current mode, with visual
warnings (i.e. no beeps) if you go under/over your preset HR limits. As
you can see from the web site, the HR info is continually displayed
right next to the speed info.

I got my original one on sale for A$99, but had to replace the main unit
(by buying a whole new set for $200) when it fell off my bars during a
race. At least I have two chest units now, and the extra cable came in
handy when the first one broke (I just got another one for A$24 from
Maroubra Cycles).

It's performed well in all conditions except for the 1999 (?) Sydney to
Gong when it absolutely chucked down (causing the ride to be closed
later) and the speedo stopped reading speed (so I had no idea how I was
going "contre le montre").

I'd prefer a speedo with cadence function, but if you are happy with the
functions listed above, I'd recommend it if you can buy it for around
the $200 mark (and if you don't already have a speedo). Also it's cool
not having two separate units to fit/remove/carry/buy batteries for.

HTH,

&roo

hippy
July 27th 03, 11:33 PM
"Nick Payne" > wrote in message
> the transmitter, the Polar does not. The Cateye is the only one that
shows
> three different items on the display at once - useful in a time trial
where
> I view cadence, HR, and time.

If you have money to burn, the Polar S-710/720 etc. can show 3 different
values at once. E.g. time/speed/hr, altitude/avg. speed/hr%,
distance/cadence/avg. hr.
Would need the additional cadence sensor. $700 or more for this setup
though.

hip

hippy
July 27th 03, 11:33 PM
"Nick Payne" > wrote in message
> the transmitter, the Polar does not. The Cateye is the only one that
shows
> three different items on the display at once - useful in a time trial
where
> I view cadence, HR, and time.

If you have money to burn, the Polar S-710/720 etc. can show 3 different
values at once. E.g. time/speed/hr, altitude/avg. speed/hr%,
distance/cadence/avg. hr.
Would need the additional cadence sensor. $700 or more for this setup
though.

hip

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home