PDA

View Full Version : 10 best Aussie cyclists

July 28th 03, 06:21 PM
Because there was a thread on rbr about the 10 best yank cyclist, I'm
wondering who makes the list of best Aussies of all time.

My relatively uninformed choices:

1. Phil Anderson
2. Danny Clark
3. Russell Mockridge
4. Hubert Opperman
5. Robbie McEwen
6. Stuart O'Grady
7. Brad McGee
8. Neil Stephens
9. Gary Neiwand
10. Sean Eadie

ciao
GK

Lindsay Rowlands
July 29th 03, 12:57 AM
g > wrote:
: Because there was a thread on rbr about the 10 best yank cyclist, I'm
: wondering who makes the list of best Aussies of all time.

: My relatively uninformed choices:

: 1. Phil Anderson
: 2. Danny Clark
: 3. Russell Mockridge
: 4. Hubert Opperman
: 5. Robbie McEwen
: 6. Stuart O'Grady
: 7. Brad McGee
: 8. Neil Stephens
: 9. Gary Neiwand
: 10. Sean Eadie

I'm not so informed either, but what about Dean Woods?

Cheerz,
Lynzz

Lindsay Rowlands
July 29th 03, 12:57 AM
g > wrote:
: Because there was a thread on rbr about the 10 best yank cyclist, I'm
: wondering who makes the list of best Aussies of all time.

: My relatively uninformed choices:

: 1. Phil Anderson
: 2. Danny Clark
: 3. Russell Mockridge
: 4. Hubert Opperman
: 5. Robbie McEwen
: 6. Stuart O'Grady
: 7. Brad McGee
: 8. Neil Stephens
: 9. Gary Neiwand
: 10. Sean Eadie

I'm not so informed either, but what about Dean Woods?

Cheerz,
Lynzz

hippy
July 29th 03, 04:22 AM
> g > wrote:
> : Because there was a thread on rbr about the 10 best yank cyclist,
I'm
> : wondering who makes the list of best Aussies of all time.
>
> : My relatively uninformed choices:
>
> : 1. Phil Anderson
> : 2. Danny Clark
> : 3. Russell Mockridge
> : 4. Hubert Opperman
> : 5. Robbie McEwen
> : 6. Stuart O'Grady
> : 7. Brad McGee
> : 8. Neil Stephens
> : 9. Gary Neiwand
> : 10. Sean Eadie

Baden Cooke?
Cadel Evans?
What about all our World class mountain bikers?
Didn't we have 9 out of the top 10 in the Red Bull Rampage?
Surely these guys and other downhillers like Kris Kovarik, etc.
deserve a mention. Don't we also have a world champion
female cross country rider? Actually, did Cadel ever win an
mtb world title?

Just messing it up a little...
hippy

hippy
July 29th 03, 04:22 AM
> g > wrote:
> : Because there was a thread on rbr about the 10 best yank cyclist,
I'm
> : wondering who makes the list of best Aussies of all time.
>
> : My relatively uninformed choices:
>
> : 1. Phil Anderson
> : 2. Danny Clark
> : 3. Russell Mockridge
> : 4. Hubert Opperman
> : 5. Robbie McEwen
> : 6. Stuart O'Grady
> : 7. Brad McGee
> : 8. Neil Stephens
> : 9. Gary Neiwand
> : 10. Sean Eadie

Baden Cooke?
Cadel Evans?
What about all our World class mountain bikers?
Didn't we have 9 out of the top 10 in the Red Bull Rampage?
Surely these guys and other downhillers like Kris Kovarik, etc.
deserve a mention. Don't we also have a world champion
female cross country rider? Actually, did Cadel ever win an
mtb world title?

Just messing it up a little...
hippy

Phillip Brown
July 29th 03, 04:23 AM
On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 01:21:03 +0800, g wrote:

> Because there was a thread on rbr about the 10 best yank cyclist, I'm
> wondering who makes the list of best Aussies of all time.
>
> My relatively uninformed choices:
>
> 1. Phil Anderson
> 2. Danny Clark
> 3. Russell Mockridge
> 4. Hubert Opperman
> 5. Robbie McEwen
> 6. Stuart O'Grady
> 7. Brad McGee
> 8. Neil Stephens
> 9. Gary Neiwand
> 10. Sean Eadie
>
> ciao
> GK

Stephen Pate (personal problems aside)

pb

Phillip Brown
July 29th 03, 04:23 AM
On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 01:21:03 +0800, g wrote:

> Because there was a thread on rbr about the 10 best yank cyclist, I'm
> wondering who makes the list of best Aussies of all time.
>
> My relatively uninformed choices:
>
> 1. Phil Anderson
> 2. Danny Clark
> 3. Russell Mockridge
> 4. Hubert Opperman
> 5. Robbie McEwen
> 6. Stuart O'Grady
> 7. Brad McGee
> 8. Neil Stephens
> 9. Gary Neiwand
> 10. Sean Eadie
>
> ciao
> GK

Stephen Pate (personal problems aside)

pb

July 29th 03, 04:33 AM
hippy > wrote:

> > g > wrote:
> > : Because there was a thread on rbr about the 10 best yank cyclist,
> I'm
> > : wondering who makes the list of best Aussies of all time.
> >
> > : My relatively uninformed choices:
> >
> > : 1. Phil Anderson
> > : 2. Danny Clark
> > : 3. Russell Mockridge
> > : 4. Hubert Opperman
> > : 5. Robbie McEwen
> > : 6. Stuart O'Grady
> > : 7. Brad McGee
> > : 8. Neil Stephens
> > : 9. Gary Neiwand
> > : 10. Sean Eadie
>
> Baden Cooke?
> Cadel Evans?
> What about all our World class mountain bikers?
> Didn't we have 9 out of the top 10 in the Red Bull Rampage?
> Surely these guys and other downhillers like Kris Kovarik, etc.
> deserve a mention. Don't we also have a world champion
> female cross country rider? Actually, did Cadel ever win an
> mtb world title?
>
> Just messing it up a little...
> hippy

Propose your top 10 then.

gk

July 29th 03, 04:33 AM
hippy > wrote:

> > g > wrote:
> > : Because there was a thread on rbr about the 10 best yank cyclist,
> I'm
> > : wondering who makes the list of best Aussies of all time.
> >
> > : My relatively uninformed choices:
> >
> > : 1. Phil Anderson
> > : 2. Danny Clark
> > : 3. Russell Mockridge
> > : 4. Hubert Opperman
> > : 5. Robbie McEwen
> > : 6. Stuart O'Grady
> > : 7. Brad McGee
> > : 8. Neil Stephens
> > : 9. Gary Neiwand
> > : 10. Sean Eadie
>
> Baden Cooke?
> Cadel Evans?
> What about all our World class mountain bikers?
> Didn't we have 9 out of the top 10 in the Red Bull Rampage?
> Surely these guys and other downhillers like Kris Kovarik, etc.
> deserve a mention. Don't we also have a world champion
> female cross country rider? Actually, did Cadel ever win an
> mtb world title?
>
> Just messing it up a little...
> hippy

Propose your top 10 then.

gk

Andrew Swan
July 29th 03, 10:51 AM
g wrote:
> Because there was a thread on rbr about the 10 best yank cyclist, I'm
> wondering who makes the list of best Aussies of all time.
>
> My relatively uninformed choices:
>
> 1. Phil Anderson
> 2. Danny Clark
> 3. Russell Mockridge
> 4. Hubert Opperman
> 5. Robbie McEwen
> 6. Stuart O'Grady
> 7. Brad McGee
> 8. Neil Stephens
> 9. Gary Neiwand
> 10. Sean Eadie
>
> ciao
> GK

Martin Vinnicombe?
Shane Kelly?

&roo

Andrew Swan
July 29th 03, 10:51 AM
g wrote:
> Because there was a thread on rbr about the 10 best yank cyclist, I'm
> wondering who makes the list of best Aussies of all time.
>
> My relatively uninformed choices:
>
> 1. Phil Anderson
> 2. Danny Clark
> 3. Russell Mockridge
> 4. Hubert Opperman
> 5. Robbie McEwen
> 6. Stuart O'Grady
> 7. Brad McGee
> 8. Neil Stephens
> 9. Gary Neiwand
> 10. Sean Eadie
>
> ciao
> GK

Martin Vinnicombe?
Shane Kelly?

&roo

Theo Bekkers
July 29th 03, 01:20 PM
"hippy" wrote

> Problem is.. I wasn't born when some of these riders were around.
> Hinault and Merckx I've heard of, sure. Opperman as well. But as
> for what they achieved and when they did it I'm pretty vague. Even
> some modern riders escape me as I can only put down those I see
> on TV or read about online or in magazines.
> That's one of the reasons there is never universal agreement on most
> top 10 lists.

You can have a top ten current cyclists then. A list of greatest Oz
cyclists of all time should include Opperman, Anderson and Clark.

Theo

Theo Bekkers
July 29th 03, 01:20 PM
"hippy" wrote

> Problem is.. I wasn't born when some of these riders were around.
> Hinault and Merckx I've heard of, sure. Opperman as well. But as
> for what they achieved and when they did it I'm pretty vague. Even
> some modern riders escape me as I can only put down those I see
> on TV or read about online or in magazines.
> That's one of the reasons there is never universal agreement on most
> top 10 lists.

You can have a top ten current cyclists then. A list of greatest Oz
cyclists of all time should include Opperman, Anderson and Clark.

Theo

July 29th 03, 03:01 PM
Spider1977 > wrote:

> I'm no cycling historian, but it couldn't be possible to leave Danny
> Clark out of any top ten in Australian cycling, could it? The guy was
> winning on the toughest world circuit for 30 years.
>
> I was lucky enough to witness his win in the Burnie Wheel on New Years
> Day in 1977. It will go down as won of the greatest rides in history.

I have been to only one 6 day race, it was in Munich in 1991. Danny won
that one too. In front of 16,000 people and a crowd favourite. It was
kind of like a beer hall/velodrome combined. Great atmosphere.

Saw the number recently, something like 73 wins out of 230+ Six Day
races. They lived like dogs, sleeping under boards then racing till
midnight the next day..

GK

July 29th 03, 03:01 PM

hippy > wrote:

> "g" > wrote in message
> > Propose your top 10 then.
>
> 1. Stuart O'Grady
> 2. Baden Cooke
> 3. Robbie McEwan
> 4. Cadel Evans
> 5. Brad McGee
> 6. Sean Eadie
> 6. Kris Kovarik
> 7. Nathan Rennie
> 8. Anna Milward
> 9. Kathy Watt
> 10. Sid Taberlay

This is a list of current riders.
OK, but McEwen has more stage wins in the Tour than O'Grady and a bundle
of stages in the Giro. Also the first Aussie to win any category in the
Tour, the Green jersey. He won a phenomenal 20+ races last year. Baden
Cooke's palmares are much smaller than O'Grady's, apart from the Green
jersey, he is still beginning.
Robbie is easily No. out of that lot.

Cadel Evans won 2 mtb worlds titles, but its a case of comparing mtb
worlds to a road worlds. Road gets 10 times the money, media coverage
and more hotly contested than mtb. So I'd count anything won on the road
to be harder than off road, sorry. Cadel has only done only a handfull
of good things on the road so far.
By my reckoning Brad McGee is above Cadel and Baden.

GK

July 29th 03, 03:01 PM
hippy > wrote:

> "g" > wrote in message
> > Propose your top 10 then.
>
> 1. Stuart O'Grady
> 2. Baden Cooke
> 3. Robbie McEwan
> 4. Cadel Evans
> 5. Brad McGee
> 6. Sean Eadie
> 6. Kris Kovarik
> 7. Nathan Rennie
> 8. Anna Milward
> 9. Kathy Watt
> 10. Sid Taberlay

This is a list of current riders.
OK, but McEwen has more stage wins in the Tour than O'Grady and a bundle
of stages in the Giro. Also the first Aussie to win any category in the
Tour, the Green jersey. He won a phenomenal 20+ races last year. Baden
Cooke's palmares are much smaller than O'Grady's, apart from the Green
jersey, he is still beginning.
Robbie is easily No. out of that lot.

Cadel Evans won 2 mtb worlds titles, but its a case of comparing mtb
worlds to a road worlds. Road gets 10 times the money, media coverage
and more hotly contested than mtb. So I'd count anything won on the road
to be harder than off road, sorry. Cadel has only done only a handfull
of good things on the road so far.
By my reckoning Brad McGee is above Cadel and Baden.

GK

hippy
July 29th 03, 11:18 PM
"g" > wrote in message
> Saw the number recently, something like 73 wins out of 230+ Six Day
> races. They lived like dogs, sleeping under boards then racing till
> midnight the next day..

How does a 6-day race work? Ride as many k's as possible
in 6 days or is there more structure to it than that?

hippy
(I know I could google for this, but it might make for a more
interesting thread if I don't ;-) )

hippy
July 29th 03, 11:18 PM
"g" > wrote in message
> Saw the number recently, something like 73 wins out of 230+ Six Day
> races. They lived like dogs, sleeping under boards then racing till
> midnight the next day..

How does a 6-day race work? Ride as many k's as possible
in 6 days or is there more structure to it than that?

hippy
(I know I could google for this, but it might make for a more
interesting thread if I don't ;-) )

hippy
July 29th 03, 11:18 PM
"g" > wrote in message
<my top ten>

> This is a list of current riders.

Yes, that's why I didn't do a top10 in the first place! :P
This list is more of a personal favourites than a top 10.
Stuart O'Grady is higher because I like him more - simple.

> OK, but McEwen has more stage wins in the Tour than O'Grady and a
bundle
> of stages in the Giro. Also the first Aussie to win any category in
the
> Tour, the Green jersey. He won a phenomenal 20+ races last year. Baden
> Cooke's palmares are much smaller than O'Grady's, apart from the Green
> jersey, he is still beginning.
> Robbie is easily No. out of that lot.

He was going to be number 1, but O'Grady was, lets say, in my good books
after trying so hard in the tour and being so "aussie" about it in the
interviews.

> Cadel Evans won 2 mtb worlds titles, but its a case of comparing mtb
> worlds to a road worlds. Road gets 10 times the money, media coverage
> and more hotly contested than mtb. So I'd count anything won on the
road
> to be harder than off road, sorry. Cadel has only done only a handfull
> of good things on the road so far.

Obtaining the Maglia Rosa? Have we had anyone else do that?
I'm sure you're right, but that's why I didn't make a top 10 to start
with,
my knowledge of other people's race results very limited :)

hip

hippy
July 29th 03, 11:18 PM
"g" > wrote in message
<my top ten>

> This is a list of current riders.

Yes, that's why I didn't do a top10 in the first place! :P
This list is more of a personal favourites than a top 10.
Stuart O'Grady is higher because I like him more - simple.

> OK, but McEwen has more stage wins in the Tour than O'Grady and a
bundle
> of stages in the Giro. Also the first Aussie to win any category in
the
> Tour, the Green jersey. He won a phenomenal 20+ races last year. Baden
> Cooke's palmares are much smaller than O'Grady's, apart from the Green
> jersey, he is still beginning.
> Robbie is easily No. out of that lot.

He was going to be number 1, but O'Grady was, lets say, in my good books
after trying so hard in the tour and being so "aussie" about it in the
interviews.

> Cadel Evans won 2 mtb worlds titles, but its a case of comparing mtb
> worlds to a road worlds. Road gets 10 times the money, media coverage
> and more hotly contested than mtb. So I'd count anything won on the
road
> to be harder than off road, sorry. Cadel has only done only a handfull
> of good things on the road so far.

Obtaining the Maglia Rosa? Have we had anyone else do that?
I'm sure you're right, but that's why I didn't make a top 10 to start
with,
my knowledge of other people's race results very limited :)

hip

July 30th 03, 04:24 AM
6 day racing is basically a madison. Danny Clark teamed with Englishman
Anthony Doyle to win the race I saw in Munich.
I couldn't find on google as to exactly the amount of time they race,
suffice to say they start around 1pm and race for 7 or 8 hours with
breaks in between finishing up around midnight.
There are about a dozen teams, the scoreboard shows who is leading and
how many laps behind them each team is. It gets exciting when the
intermediate sprints are on, the Oompah band (german guys in leiderhosen
and huge moustaches..) stir up the crowd and increase the tempo till the
bunch hits the line.

During the breaks the crowd are entertained with feature races such as
junior races, exhibition match sprints (by the best in the world),
points races and Danny singing..

Of course the madison style arm throws makes 6 day racing spectacular.
The crowd goes wild when the oldest man in the field (Danny) attacks and
laps the field, he is soooo tough! He would win with panache too. Rather
than win and go home in a huff (like LA for the first few years of the
Tour), I heard Danny would take the microphone with the Oompah band and
give the crowd a few renditions, real crooner! Too bad I never saw him
do that when I was there :( Imagine if LA after receiving his trophy on
the Champs Elysees took a mike and broke into the Pirates of Penzance on
the podium!! :P They luvved Danny over there.

hippy > wrote:

> "g" > wrote in message
> > Saw the number recently, something like 73 wins out of 230+ Six Day
> > races. They lived like dogs, sleeping under boards then racing till
> > midnight the next day..
>
> How does a 6-day race work? Ride as many k's as possible
> in 6 days or is there more structure to it than that?
>
> hippy
> (I know I could google for this, but it might make for a more
> interesting thread if I don't ;-) )

John Stevenson
July 30th 03, 12:50 PM
Ollie Wigg wrote:

> Yeah Cadel did win a couple of world championships

Cadel won the World Cup series a couple of times, but never won the
world championships. Lists at www.uci.ch.

John Stevenson
July 30th 03, 12:50 PM
Ollie Wigg wrote:

> Yeah Cadel did win a couple of world championships

Cadel won the World Cup series a couple of times, but never won the
world championships. Lists at www.uci.ch.

John L
July 30th 03, 12:53 PM
It all depends on your age. I'm old enough & privileged enough to
have seen both Sid Patterson at the old Velodrome (I used to show the
advertising slides between races), & Russell Mockridge race on the
road..

They were my boyhood heroes.

Because of this I would place both on the list, butI would include at
least another twenty Aussie cyclists, some of whom I've had the
privilege of racing with.

I wouldn't attempt to place them in any particular order as they raced
at different times with different equipment, under different
circumstances. They would include all the cyclists mentioned below.

John L. (Fencesitter Deluxe)

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 15:15:20 +1000, "TJF" > wrote:

>What about Patto (Sid Patterson) 4 times world champion?
>"Andrew Swan" > wrote in message
>> g wrote:
>> > Because there was a thread on rbr about the 10 best yank cyclist, I'm
>> > wondering who makes the list of best Aussies of all time.
>> >
>> > My relatively uninformed choices:
>> >
>> > 1. Phil Anderson
>> > 2. Danny Clark
>> > 3. Russell Mockridge
>> > 4. Hubert Opperman
>> > 5. Robbie McEwen
>> > 6. Stuart O'Grady
>> > 7. Brad McGee
>> > 8. Neil Stephens
>> > 9. Gary Neiwand
>> > 10. Sean Eadie
>> >
>> > ciao
>> > GK
>>
>> Martin Vinnicombe?
>> Shane Kelly?
>>
>> &roo

John L
July 30th 03, 12:53 PM
It all depends on your age. I'm old enough & privileged enough to
have seen both Sid Patterson at the old Velodrome (I used to show the
advertising slides between races), & Russell Mockridge race on the
road..

They were my boyhood heroes.

Because of this I would place both on the list, butI would include at
least another twenty Aussie cyclists, some of whom I've had the
privilege of racing with.

I wouldn't attempt to place them in any particular order as they raced
at different times with different equipment, under different
circumstances. They would include all the cyclists mentioned below.

John L. (Fencesitter Deluxe)

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 15:15:20 +1000, "TJF" > wrote:

>What about Patto (Sid Patterson) 4 times world champion?
>"Andrew Swan" > wrote in message
>> g wrote:
>> > Because there was a thread on rbr about the 10 best yank cyclist, I'm
>> > wondering who makes the list of best Aussies of all time.
>> >
>> > My relatively uninformed choices:
>> >
>> > 1. Phil Anderson
>> > 2. Danny Clark
>> > 3. Russell Mockridge
>> > 4. Hubert Opperman
>> > 5. Robbie McEwen
>> > 6. Stuart O'Grady
>> > 7. Brad McGee
>> > 8. Neil Stephens
>> > 9. Gary Neiwand
>> > 10. Sean Eadie
>> >
>> > ciao
>> > GK
>>
>> Martin Vinnicombe?
>> Shane Kelly?
>>
>> &roo

Ollie Wigg
July 30th 03, 03:01 PM
Sorry, wrong terminology.
"John Stevenson" > wrote in message
u...
> Ollie Wigg wrote:
>
> > Yeah Cadel did win a couple of world championships
>
> Cadel won the World Cup series a couple of times, but never won the
> world championships. Lists at www.uci.ch.

Ollie Wigg
July 30th 03, 03:01 PM
Sorry, wrong terminology.
"John Stevenson" > wrote in message
u...
> Ollie Wigg wrote:
>
> > Yeah Cadel did win a couple of world championships
>
> Cadel won the World Cup series a couple of times, but never won the
> world championships. Lists at www.uci.ch.

Scotty
August 6th 03, 12:20 PM
did someone forget Pat Jonker??
15th in the TDF is a pretty awesome effort in my book.

"hippy" > wrote in message
> "g" > wrote in message
> <my top ten>
>
> > This is a list of current riders.
>
> Yes, that's why I didn't do a top10 in the first place! :P
> This list is more of a personal favourites than a top 10.
> Stuart O'Grady is higher because I like him more - simple.
>
> > OK, but McEwen has more stage wins in the Tour than O'Grady and a
> bundle
> > of stages in the Giro. Also the first Aussie to win any category in
> the
> > Tour, the Green jersey. He won a phenomenal 20+ races last year. Baden
> > Cooke's palmares are much smaller than O'Grady's, apart from the Green
> > jersey, he is still beginning.
> > Robbie is easily No. out of that lot.
>
> He was going to be number 1, but O'Grady was, lets say, in my good books
> after trying so hard in the tour and being so "aussie" about it in the
> interviews.
>
> > Cadel Evans won 2 mtb worlds titles, but its a case of comparing mtb
> > worlds to a road worlds. Road gets 10 times the money, media coverage
> > and more hotly contested than mtb. So I'd count anything won on the
> road
> > to be harder than off road, sorry. Cadel has only done only a handfull
> > of good things on the road so far.
>
> Obtaining the Maglia Rosa? Have we had anyone else do that?
> I'm sure you're right, but that's why I didn't make a top 10 to start
> with,
> my knowledge of other people's race results very limited :)
>
> hip

Mitch Pollard
August 7th 03, 04:51 PM
you forgot me on that list.

"g" > wrote in message
> Because there was a thread on rbr about the 10 best yank cyclist, I'm
> wondering who makes the list of best Aussies of all time.
>
> My relatively uninformed choices:
>
> 1. Phil Anderson
> 2. Danny Clark
> 3. Russell Mockridge
> 4. Hubert Opperman
> 5. Robbie McEwen
> 6. Stuart O'Grady
> 7. Brad McGee
> 8. Neil Stephens
> 9. Gary Neiwand
> 10. Sean Eadie
>
> ciao
> GK

Mitch Pollard
August 7th 03, 04:51 PM
you forgot me on that list.

"g" > wrote in message
> Because there was a thread on rbr about the 10 best yank cyclist, I'm
> wondering who makes the list of best Aussies of all time.
>
> My relatively uninformed choices:
>
> 1. Phil Anderson
> 2. Danny Clark
> 3. Russell Mockridge
> 4. Hubert Opperman
> 5. Robbie McEwen
> 6. Stuart O'Grady
> 7. Brad McGee
> 8. Neil Stephens
> 9. Gary Neiwand
> 10. Sean Eadie
>
> ciao
> GK

patch70
August 14th 03, 06:53 AM
>"McEwen is the first Aussie to win any category in the Tour, the
>Green jersey."
Phil Anderson won the white jersey for best young rider.

patch70
August 14th 03, 06:53 AM
>"McEwen is the first Aussie to win any category in the Tour, the
>Green jersey."
Phil Anderson won the white jersey for best young rider.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home