PDA

View Full Version : giant cadex road bike??

syrus_82
August 3rd 03, 08:13 AM
i am thinking about buying a second hand giant cadex, and i was
wondering how it rates as a bike. i am looking at using it mainly for
triathlons. if anyone could help it would be much appreciated

Etxy
August 3rd 03, 10:43 AM
According to a writer in Ride magazine, the Giant Cadex is an extremely
comfortable bike (the "most comfortable bike he had ever ridden") but
also the most sluggish feeling. I think that the tubing has quite a bit
of flex in it, meaning that it isn't all that nippy and responsive. It
really depends on what your taste is in a bike frame- if you desire a
comfortable bike, then a Cadex could well be for you. If you want to
'feel' fast, than a stiffer frame could be what you're after. :)

--
"I loved the feeling of riding downhill-
admiring the scenery then running

Etxy
August 3rd 03, 10:43 AM
According to a writer in Ride magazine, the Giant Cadex is an extremely
comfortable bike (the "most comfortable bike he had ever ridden") but
also the most sluggish feeling. I think that the tubing has quite a bit
of flex in it, meaning that it isn't all that nippy and responsive. It
really depends on what your taste is in a bike frame- if you desire a
comfortable bike, then a Cadex could well be for you. If you want to
'feel' fast, than a stiffer frame could be what you're after. :)

--
"I loved the feeling of riding downhill-
admiring the scenery then running
over it at high speed"

redbears
August 5th 03, 03:31 AM
Assuming the Cadex is carbon fibre, that would hardly be surprising
about the flex of the tubing. Carbon bikes can have a fairly firm
ride, it is just that the way it soaks up the bumps and peddling
energy is different to steel or alloy. Once you have tried it and
like the ride, you will never go back.

(Gary K) wrote in message >...
> Etxy > wrote:
>
> > According to a writer in Ride magazine, the Giant Cadex is an extremely
> > comfortable bike (the "most comfortable bike he had ever ridden") but
> > also the most sluggish feeling. I think that the tubing has quite a bit
> > of flex in it, meaning that it isn't all that nippy and responsive. It
> > really depends on what your taste is in a bike frame- if you desire a
> > comfortable bike, then a Cadex could well be for you. If you want to
> > 'feel' fast, than a stiffer frame could be what you're after. :)
>
> Squishy frame is probably what u want for a triathlon. Its no like
> triathletes sprint or do attacks. They tend to grind along at the same
> speed.

Gary K
August 5th 03, 04:47 AM
I have one, and went back to Columbus steel (Zona), its much stiffer &
good for this sprinter. Though the carbon frame seems more absorbent, it
is only the pedalling power and road noise it absorbs. Because on some
of the coarse chip roads that rattle my hands and bum to near numbness
on my Zona, the carbon bike feels *exactly* the same, same rattled
hands, same jaring in the butt.
Carbon frames aren't any more comfortable. Maybe the muffled road noise
gives the illusion?
Love the direct power transfer on my Zona steel though, instant
acceleration.

redbears > wrote:

> Assuming the Cadex is carbon fibre, that would hardly be surprising
> about the flex of the tubing. Carbon bikes can have a fairly firm
> ride, it is just that the way it soaks up the bumps and peddling
> energy is different to steel or alloy. Once you have tried it and
> like the ride, you will never go back.
>
> (Gary K) wrote in message
> > Etxy > wrote:
> >
> > > According to a writer in Ride magazine, the Giant Cadex is an extremely
> > > comfortable bike (the "most comfortable bike he had ever ridden") but
> > > also the most sluggish feeling. I think that the tubing has quite a bit
> > > of flex in it, meaning that it isn't all that nippy and responsive. It
> > > really depends on what your taste is in a bike frame- if you desire a
> > > comfortable bike, then a Cadex could well be for you. If you want to
> > > 'feel' fast, than a stiffer frame could be what you're after. :)
> >
> > Squishy frame is probably what u want for a triathlon. Its no like
> > triathletes sprint or do attacks. They tend to grind along at the same
> > speed.

redbears
August 13th 03, 09:07 AM
One other thing, I was looking from an MTB perspective as well..

(Gary K) wrote in message >...
> I have one, and went back to Columbus steel (Zona), its much stiffer &
> good for this sprinter. Though the carbon frame seems more absorbent, it
> is only the pedalling power and road noise it absorbs. Because on some
> of the coarse chip roads that rattle my hands and bum to near numbness
> on my Zona, the carbon bike feels *exactly* the same, same rattled
> hands, same jaring in the butt.
> Carbon frames aren't any more comfortable. Maybe the muffled road noise
> gives the illusion?
> Love the direct power transfer on my Zona steel though, instant
> acceleration.
>
> redbears > wrote:
>
> > Assuming the Cadex is carbon fibre, that would hardly be surprising
> > about the flex of the tubing. Carbon bikes can have a fairly firm
> > ride, it is just that the way it soaks up the bumps and peddling
> > energy is different to steel or alloy. Once you have tried it and
> > like the ride, you will never go back.
> >
> > (Gary K) wrote in message

> > > Squishy frame is probably what u want for a triathlon. Its no like
> > > triathletes sprint or do attacks. They tend to grind along at the same
> > > speed.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home