PDA

View Full Version : Re: A couple of questions about cycling.

Etxy
August 3rd 03, 10:53 AM
Cheese wrote:
> 1. Why do pro cyclists shave their legs?
> 2. Do you reccomend any good road bikes for under $1000AU
> 3. My average speed is about 25km/h, how can I get it up to 40?
> 4. What clothing/accessories do you reccomend using when cycling??
> Thanks.

1. Aerodynamics, easier to massage and less likely to get infected in
the event of a crash. Also, uniformity comes into play.
2. Under $1000, you'd be better looking for a second hand bike. You can
get a $2500 bike for under $1000 second hand.
3. Lots and lots of hard work!
4. Clipless pedals are a huge help, cycling knicks are very
comfortable and I'd also recommend a bike computer, if you don't
already have one.

--
"I loved the feeling of riding downhill-
admiring the scenery then running

Etxy
August 3rd 03, 10:53 AM
Cheese wrote:
> 1. Why do pro cyclists shave their legs?
> 2. Do you reccomend any good road bikes for under $1000AU
> 3. My average speed is about 25km/h, how can I get it up to 40?
> 4. What clothing/accessories do you reccomend using when cycling??
> Thanks.

1. Aerodynamics, easier to massage and less likely to get infected in
the event of a crash. Also, uniformity comes into play.
2. Under $1000, you'd be better looking for a second hand bike. You can
get a $2500 bike for under $1000 second hand.
3. Lots and lots of hard work!
4. Clipless pedals are a huge help, cycling knicks are very
comfortable and I'd also recommend a bike computer, if you don't
already have one.

--
"I loved the feeling of riding downhill-
admiring the scenery then running
over it at high speed"

PC
August 3rd 03, 11:15 AM
On 3 Aug 2003 19:13:00 +0950, Cheese >
wrote:

>1. Why do pro cyclists shave their legs?

This question has been asked a million times, search groups.google.com
and you'll find a million different answers.. In my opinion, it's
somewhere between "the clean look is basically part of the uniform"
and "it helps keep crash damage (cuts, scrapes etc) from getting too
nasty"..

Oh, and I think you'll find that serious cyclists would wax, not
shave..

>2. Do you reccomend any good road bikes for under $1000AU

Can't help there, sorry.. I ride a hybrid mtb/commuter..

>3. My average speed is about 25km/h, how can I get it up to 40?

In what circumstances? Back street riding? Main road riding? Race
track riding? Rail Trails? Hilly? Flat?

I average 23km/h on mostly flat stop/start back street riding, and
it's gradually working up after 18 months of perseverence and
switching from 46/36/28 gears to 52/39 gears..

>4. What clothing/accessories do you reccomend using when cycling??

Whatever you find most comfortable.. Since moving a few weeks ago, my
home-work commute now is fairly short (5.5km), so I don't need to ride
in Lycra, but I do, because that's what I always used to wear, and I
still have to wear something.. Besides, almost anything else makes my
legs tired unnecessarily.. My bike also has a 12" wide touring saddle
for extra comfort, panniers for a change of clothes and wet weather
gear, a $5 portable FM radio taped to the handlebars, shimano cleats,
multiple LED flashers for extra night visibility and a fairly basic
cycle computer for speed/distance/avg's

PC, 3056

wrote:

>1. Why do pro cyclists shave their legs?

This question has been asked a million times, search groups.google.com
and you'll find a million different answers.. In my opinion, it's
somewhere between "the clean look is basically part of the uniform"
and "it helps keep crash damage (cuts, scrapes etc) from getting too
nasty"..

Oh, and I think you'll find that serious cyclists would wax, not
shave..

>2. Do you reccomend any good road bikes for under $1000AU

Can't help there, sorry.. I ride a hybrid mtb/commuter..

>3. My average speed is about 25km/h, how can I get it up to 40?

In what circumstances? Back street riding? Main road riding? Race
track riding? Rail Trails? Hilly? Flat?

I average 23km/h on mostly flat stop/start back street riding, and
it's gradually working up after 18 months of perseverence and
switching from 46/36/28 gears to 52/39 gears..

>4. What clothing/accessories do you reccomend using when cycling??

Whatever you find most comfortable.. Since moving a few weeks ago, my
home-work commute now is fairly short (5.5km), so I don't need to ride
in Lycra, but I do, because that's what I always used to wear, and I
still have to wear something.. Besides, almost anything else makes my
legs tired unnecessarily.. My bike also has a 12" wide touring saddle
for extra comfort, panniers for a change of clothes and wet weather
gear, a $5 portable FM radio taped to the handlebars, shimano cleats,
multiple LED flashers for extra night visibility and a fairly basic
cycle computer for speed/distance/avg's

PC, 3056

hippy
August 4th 03, 12:51 AM
"Cheese" > wrote in message
> 1. Why do pro cyclists shave their legs?

PC's explanation sums it up: check google groups and you'll find stacks
of
reasons. Shaved looks nice but personally I can't be bothered.

> 2. Do you reccomend any good road bikes for under $1000AU

Second-hand or check out brands such as Avanti, Giant, Specialized.
I think Shogun are making some 'better' road bikes these days. Try
also Merida and Norco. You pretty much get what you pay for, but
there comes a point where the more you pay, the less you get. It's
the Law of Diminishing Returns.

> 3. My average speed is about 25km/h, how can I get it up to 40?

Move somewhere flat, with no traffic and no stop lights/signs and
ride with a tailwind :-)
Or, train seriously for a few years (possibly many years).

> 4. What clothing/accessories do you reccomend using when cycling??

- Knicks if the distance is over 20k's for me.
- Jersey with pockets at back so I don't have to
carry food in backpack or saddle bag.
- Good lights for night riding.
- I like a speedo but it is certainly not necessary.
- Bottle cage/s and Bottles for longer rides are a must (I have a
serious
dehydration headache from Saturday! because I skimped on water)
- Spare tube/s, pump, tyre levers, etc stuffed into saddle bag.
- Clipless pedals are nice though not absolutely necessary (my mtb
has DMR V8 flat pedals which use sharp pins for grip - mind your
shins!).

Just have a think about what would make your rides "better" for
you and then see if there's a product that will do it for you. Then
justify the cost/benefit :)

hth
hippy

hippy
August 4th 03, 12:51 AM
"Cheese" > wrote in message
> 1. Why do pro cyclists shave their legs?

PC's explanation sums it up: check google groups and you'll find stacks
of
reasons. Shaved looks nice but personally I can't be bothered.

> 2. Do you reccomend any good road bikes for under $1000AU

Second-hand or check out brands such as Avanti, Giant, Specialized.
I think Shogun are making some 'better' road bikes these days. Try
also Merida and Norco. You pretty much get what you pay for, but
there comes a point where the more you pay, the less you get. It's
the Law of Diminishing Returns.

> 3. My average speed is about 25km/h, how can I get it up to 40?

Move somewhere flat, with no traffic and no stop lights/signs and
ride with a tailwind :-)
Or, train seriously for a few years (possibly many years).

> 4. What clothing/accessories do you reccomend using when cycling??

- Knicks if the distance is over 20k's for me.
- Jersey with pockets at back so I don't have to
carry food in backpack or saddle bag.
- Good lights for night riding.
- I like a speedo but it is certainly not necessary.
- Bottle cage/s and Bottles for longer rides are a must (I have a
serious
dehydration headache from Saturday! because I skimped on water)
- Spare tube/s, pump, tyre levers, etc stuffed into saddle bag.
- Clipless pedals are nice though not absolutely necessary (my mtb
has DMR V8 flat pedals which use sharp pins for grip - mind your
shins!).

Just have a think about what would make your rides "better" for
you and then see if there's a product that will do it for you. Then
justify the cost/benefit :)

hth
hippy

John Staines
August 4th 03, 01:18 AM
Why do I get the feeling that your a Troll?

Cheese wrote:

> 1. Why do pro cyclists shave their legs?
> 2. Do you reccomend any good road bikes for under $1000AU
> 3. My average speed is about 25km/h, how can I get it up to 40?
> 4. What clothing/accessories do you reccomend using when cycling??
>
> Thanks.
>
> --

PC
August 4th 03, 09:48 AM
On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 18:41:42 +1000, Andrew Swan
> wrote:

>> My bike also has a 12" wide touring saddle for extra comfort
>
>Seriously? That's not a saddle, that's an armchair! :-)

Yep, it narrows to about 2" at the front.. Velo market it under the
Webspring brand, and there's at least one other brand on the market
that's similar.. I buy em at Brunswick Street Cycles in Fitzroy..

Unfortunately, Velo saddles don't seem to agree with me, or maybe
they're just shoddy, so I have to replace em every 9-12 months or so..
They're $49 each, but I pay it anyway.. It seems a small price to pay
for comfort..

PC

PC
August 4th 03, 09:48 AM
On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 18:41:42 +1000, Andrew Swan
> wrote:

>> My bike also has a 12" wide touring saddle for extra comfort
>
>Seriously? That's not a saddle, that's an armchair! :-)

Yep, it narrows to about 2" at the front.. Velo market it under the
Webspring brand, and there's at least one other brand on the market
that's similar.. I buy em at Brunswick Street Cycles in Fitzroy..

Unfortunately, Velo saddles don't seem to agree with me, or maybe
they're just shoddy, so I have to replace em every 9-12 months or so..
They're $49 each, but I pay it anyway.. It seems a small price to pay
for comfort..

PC

Andrew Swan
August 4th 03, 09:50 AM
Etxy wrote:
> 2. Under $1000, you'd be better looking for a second hand bike. You can
> get a $2500 bike for under $1000 second hand.

Sounds like a good idea on the face of it, but you can't take it back
for a refund if it turns out to have problems ... so what should one be
on the lookout for?

I'm sure there are some things that look bad but are simple/cheap to fix
(e.g. worn brake pads), while there must be other things that are
difficult to spot that could be costly or difficult to fix. Does anyone
know of a list of what these things are?

Also, I'd want to know why it's being sold - surely a common reason
would be that it has some problem that's beyond economical repair? Or
like cars, are there some people that just have to have this year's model?

TIA,

&roo

Andrew Swan
August 4th 03, 09:50 AM
Etxy wrote:
> 2. Under $1000, you'd be better looking for a second hand bike. You can
> get a $2500 bike for under $1000 second hand.

Sounds like a good idea on the face of it, but you can't take it back
for a refund if it turns out to have problems ... so what should one be
on the lookout for?

I'm sure there are some things that look bad but are simple/cheap to fix
(e.g. worn brake pads), while there must be other things that are
difficult to spot that could be costly or difficult to fix. Does anyone
know of a list of what these things are?

Also, I'd want to know why it's being sold - surely a common reason
would be that it has some problem that's beyond economical repair? Or
like cars, are there some people that just have to have this year's model?

TIA,

&roo

Suzy Jackson
August 4th 03, 10:44 AM
"PC" > wrote in message

> >> My bike also has a 12" wide touring saddle for extra comfort
> >
> >Seriously? That's not a saddle, that's an armchair! :-)
>
> Yep, it narrows to about 2" at the front.. Velo market it under the
> Webspring brand, and there's at least one other brand on the market
> that's similar.. I buy em at Brunswick Street Cycles in Fitzroy..

This fascination casual cyclists have with wide saddles never ceases to
amaze me. Just because a saddle has heaps of padding doesn't mean it's
going to be comfortable. You have to remember that cycling (unless it's a
motorbike you're riding) involves rotating pedals at some point, which in
turn involves moving your thighs back and forth.

Now like most people, I only have a gap of an inch or so between my thighs,
so if I try to pedal on anything wider, they rub, and I get chaffing, which
hurts. That's the real reason why anyone who spends any decent time on the
bike ends up using nice narrow saddles. It's not some masochistic thing,
but just the opposite. The more padding you stuff in between your legs, the
worse you're going to make it, so better to go with a nice narrow saddle
that's got a little bit of spring in it, and even then be sure to wear
proper cycling shorts to protect your thighs from rubbing.

Regards,

Suzy

Suzy Jackson
August 4th 03, 10:44 AM
"PC" > wrote in message

> >> My bike also has a 12" wide touring saddle for extra comfort
> >
> >Seriously? That's not a saddle, that's an armchair! :-)
>
> Yep, it narrows to about 2" at the front.. Velo market it under the
> Webspring brand, and there's at least one other brand on the market
> that's similar.. I buy em at Brunswick Street Cycles in Fitzroy..

This fascination casual cyclists have with wide saddles never ceases to
amaze me. Just because a saddle has heaps of padding doesn't mean it's
going to be comfortable. You have to remember that cycling (unless it's a
motorbike you're riding) involves rotating pedals at some point, which in
turn involves moving your thighs back and forth.

Now like most people, I only have a gap of an inch or so between my thighs,
so if I try to pedal on anything wider, they rub, and I get chaffing, which
hurts. That's the real reason why anyone who spends any decent time on the
bike ends up using nice narrow saddles. It's not some masochistic thing,
but just the opposite. The more padding you stuff in between your legs, the
worse you're going to make it, so better to go with a nice narrow saddle
that's got a little bit of spring in it, and even then be sure to wear
proper cycling shorts to protect your thighs from rubbing.

Regards,

Suzy

PC
August 4th 03, 11:38 AM
On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 09:44:29 GMT, "Suzy Jackson" >
wrote:

>> Yep, it narrows to about 2" at the front.. Velo market it under the
>> Webspring brand, and there's at least one other brand on the market
>> that's similar.. I buy em at Brunswick Street Cycles in Fitzroy..
>
>This fascination casual cyclists have with wide saddles never ceases to
>amaze me. Just because a saddle has heaps of padding doesn't mean it's
>going to be comfortable.

It also never ceases to amaze me how many people think that everyone
has the same size butt, or is the same weight, or the same height..
This applies especially to bike equipment designers and retailers,
either not making/selling multiple size ranges or not putting them
through proper testing to make a quality product

Anyway, the bones in my posterior seem to be wider set than most, and
need a wider seat, and my legs are set apart, so the wide-ish front
doesn't bother me at all no matter how long I ride.. Even if that
wasn't the case, the sheer thought of my entire upper body weight
sitting on the six square inches of the average saddle frightens me..
Surface area should count for something..

wrote:

>> Yep, it narrows to about 2" at the front.. Velo market it under the
>> Webspring brand, and there's at least one other brand on the market
>> that's similar.. I buy em at Brunswick Street Cycles in Fitzroy..
>
>This fascination casual cyclists have with wide saddles never ceases to
>amaze me. Just because a saddle has heaps of padding doesn't mean it's
>going to be comfortable.

It also never ceases to amaze me how many people think that everyone
has the same size butt, or is the same weight, or the same height..
This applies especially to bike equipment designers and retailers,
either not making/selling multiple size ranges or not putting them
through proper testing to make a quality product

Anyway, the bones in my posterior seem to be wider set than most, and
need a wider seat, and my legs are set apart, so the wide-ish front
doesn't bother me at all no matter how long I ride.. Even if that
wasn't the case, the sheer thought of my entire upper body weight
sitting on the six square inches of the average saddle frightens me..
Surface area should count for something..

PC

Theo Bekkers
August 4th 03, 11:50 AM
"PC" wrote

> Even if that
> wasn't the case, the sheer thought of my entire upper body weight
> sitting on the six square inches of the average saddle frightens
me..
> Surface area should count for something..

You must be scared to death when you're walking and place all of your
weight on the ball of one foot then. Much smaller area than the
average saddle.

Theo

Theo Bekkers
August 4th 03, 11:50 AM
"PC" wrote

> Even if that
> wasn't the case, the sheer thought of my entire upper body weight
> sitting on the six square inches of the average saddle frightens
me..
> Surface area should count for something..

You must be scared to death when you're walking and place all of your
weight on the ball of one foot then. Much smaller area than the
average saddle.

Theo

PC
August 4th 03, 12:05 PM
On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 10:50:28 GMT, "Theo Bekkers" >
wrote:

>> Even if that
>> wasn't the case, the sheer thought of my entire upper body weight
>> sitting on the six square inches of the average saddle frightens
>> me..Surface area should count for something..

>You must be scared to death when you're walking and place all of your
>weight on the ball of one foot then. Much smaller area than the
>average saddle.

My feet are designed to take my weight.. As my posterior bones are
set too wide for the average saddle, the weight would fall directly
onto muscle and tissue in the area, and that is quite painful..

wrote:

>> Even if that
>> wasn't the case, the sheer thought of my entire upper body weight
>> sitting on the six square inches of the average saddle frightens
>> me..Surface area should count for something..

>You must be scared to death when you're walking and place all of your
>weight on the ball of one foot then. Much smaller area than the
>average saddle.

My feet are designed to take my weight.. As my posterior bones are
set too wide for the average saddle, the weight would fall directly
onto muscle and tissue in the area, and that is quite painful..

PC

Gary K
August 4th 03, 04:31 PM
I'm not disagreeing with you PC, its horses for courses. I've seen those
foot wide saddles and depending on the type of riding you do and the
position you have on the bike, you probabely are very happy with it.

Others, on racing bikes (& racing mtb's), have a low position where only
approx. 1/3 of their weight is on the saddle (and 1/3 on each of
handlebars and pedals). To have some kind of pedalling effeciency, you
don't want to be sitting on your glutes (bum muscles), because you
need'em for pedalling.
Thats why regular (narrow) saddles are best.

Wide saddles are ok for the sit up and beg riding position, you very
nearly are 100% weighted on the saddle. But your glutes are doing double
workload, they are flexing against the entire weight of your torso and
helping pushing the pedals. Tiring!

PC > wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 09:44:29 GMT, "Suzy Jackson" >
> wrote:
>
> >> Yep, it narrows to about 2" at the front.. Velo market it under the
> >> Webspring brand, and there's at least one other brand on the market
> >> that's similar.. I buy em at Brunswick Street Cycles in Fitzroy..
> >
> >This fascination casual cyclists have with wide saddles never ceases to
> >amaze me. Just because a saddle has heaps of padding doesn't mean it's
> >going to be comfortable.
>
> It also never ceases to amaze me how many people think that everyone
> has the same size butt, or is the same weight, or the same height..
> This applies especially to bike equipment designers and retailers,
> either not making/selling multiple size ranges or not putting them
> through proper testing to make a quality product
>
> Anyway, the bones in my posterior seem to be wider set than most, and
> need a wider seat, and my legs are set apart, so the wide-ish front
> doesn't bother me at all no matter how long I ride.. Even if that
> wasn't the case, the sheer thought of my entire upper body weight
> sitting on the six square inches of the average saddle frightens me..
> Surface area should count for something..
>

> PC

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home