PDA

View Full Version : Bells or noise making

RS
August 5th 03, 01:26 AM
Which sort of bell would most cyclists prefer?
Personally I like the old ring-a-tring bells. They sound like a bike, and one
stroke is needed for 2-3 seconds of noise, which is better than one "ting" or
"honk" from other sorts IMHO.

RS

"Time spent cycling is not added to one's life"

Ben Long
August 5th 03, 04:34 AM
Just a good old dinger is my preference although I like to call out 'bike'
when I approach pedestrians from behind. It seems to get their attention
better.

Cheers,

Ben

"RS" > wrote in message
> Which sort of bell would most cyclists prefer?
> Personally I like the old ring-a-tring bells. They sound like a bike, and
one
> stroke is needed for 2-3 seconds of noise, which is better than one "ting"
or
> "honk" from other sorts IMHO.
>
> RS
>

> "Time spent cycling is not added to one's life"

Jorgen
August 5th 03, 01:50 PM
> wrote in message
om...
> (RS) wrote in message
> > Which sort of bell would most cyclists prefer?
> > Personally I like the old ring-a-tring bells. They sound like a bike,
and one
> > stroke is needed for 2-3 seconds of noise, which is better than one
"ting" or
> > "honk" from other sorts IMHO.
>
> Those old style bells send me into a "cycling is for 8 year olds"
> memory. I use a standard "ting".
>
> In fact, this morning I noticed a few potential doors about to open..
> "ting-ting-ting-ting-ting" tends to work just as well as
> "rill-a-tring", and while it does require more use of my thumb, the
> rest of my fingers are still there to work the brakes or manouver if
> necessary.

How about "HEY ****!"?

Works for me.

Jorgen
August 5th 03, 01:50 PM
> wrote in message
om...
> (RS) wrote in message
> > Which sort of bell would most cyclists prefer?
> > Personally I like the old ring-a-tring bells. They sound like a bike,
and one
> > stroke is needed for 2-3 seconds of noise, which is better than one
"ting" or
> > "honk" from other sorts IMHO.
>
> Those old style bells send me into a "cycling is for 8 year olds"
> memory. I use a standard "ting".
>
> In fact, this morning I noticed a few potential doors about to open..
> "ting-ting-ting-ting-ting" tends to work just as well as
> "rill-a-tring", and while it does require more use of my thumb, the
> rest of my fingers are still there to work the brakes or manouver if
> necessary.

How about "HEY ****!"?

Works for me.

Deep Floyd Mars
August 6th 03, 04:49 AM

> How about "HEY ****!"?
>
> Works for me.

I howl "LOOK OUT!!!!". It makes it really interesting because the
pedestrians instantly leap in a random direction maximising the chances of
bowling one over. Also good for scaring the absolute **** out of packs of
old ladies too.

Well, it's good to have a hobby, isn't it?
---
DFM

Deep Floyd Mars
August 6th 03, 04:49 AM

> How about "HEY ****!"?
>
> Works for me.

I howl "LOOK OUT!!!!". It makes it really interesting because the
pedestrians instantly leap in a random direction maximising the chances of
bowling one over. Also good for scaring the absolute **** out of packs of
old ladies too.

Well, it's good to have a hobby, isn't it?
---
DFM

Andrew Swan
August 6th 03, 09:50 AM
RS wrote:
> Which sort of bell would most cyclists prefer?
> Personally I like the old ring-a-tring bells. They sound like a bike, and one
> stroke is needed for 2-3 seconds of noise, which is better than one "ting" or
> "honk" from other sorts IMHO.
>
> RS
>

> "Time spent cycling is not added to one's life"

If you ride on bike paths, I find a bell is best. As I read somewhere
once, people are more likely to react favourably (in a "Morning, Vicar"
kind of a way) to a bell than to someone yelling at them, no matter how
unaggro they are trying to sound.

But yes, in traffic you may need to step up a level. I have actually
managed to raise some door-opening drivers' awareness by nicely asking
them if they looked first - if on the other hand you just yell at them,
they are likely to put the experience down to "cyclists being w*nkers"
and not change their behaviour. One can at least try, and hope :-)

&roo
Fixing the world, one door-opener at a time...

Andrew Swan
August 6th 03, 09:50 AM
RS wrote:
> Which sort of bell would most cyclists prefer?
> Personally I like the old ring-a-tring bells. They sound like a bike, and one
> stroke is needed for 2-3 seconds of noise, which is better than one "ting" or
> "honk" from other sorts IMHO.
>
> RS
>

> "Time spent cycling is not added to one's life"

If you ride on bike paths, I find a bell is best. As I read somewhere
once, people are more likely to react favourably (in a "Morning, Vicar"
kind of a way) to a bell than to someone yelling at them, no matter how
unaggro they are trying to sound.

But yes, in traffic you may need to step up a level. I have actually
managed to raise some door-opening drivers' awareness by nicely asking
them if they looked first - if on the other hand you just yell at them,
they are likely to put the experience down to "cyclists being w*nkers"
and not change their behaviour. One can at least try, and hope :-)

&roo
Fixing the world, one door-opener at a time...

Jorgen
August 6th 03, 10:12 AM
"Deep Floyd Mars" > wrote in message

> > How about "HEY ****!"?
> >
> > Works for me.
> >

> I howl "LOOK OUT!!!!". It makes it really interesting because the
> pedestrians instantly leap in a random direction maximising the chances of
> bowling one over. Also good for scaring the absolute **** out of packs of
> old ladies too.
>
> Well, it's good to have a hobby, isn't it?

"Look out" would work a bit better as a predecessor to the above, yes. You
appear a little less hostile in general :)

I ususally warm up with the bell. BBut Sometimes people just won't hear it
and swarm around in their own little world - e.g., opening car doors without
looking. That's when the shout is called for.

Jorgen
August 6th 03, 10:12 AM
"Deep Floyd Mars" > wrote in message

> > How about "HEY ****!"?
> >
> > Works for me.
> >

> I howl "LOOK OUT!!!!". It makes it really interesting because the
> pedestrians instantly leap in a random direction maximising the chances of
> bowling one over. Also good for scaring the absolute **** out of packs of
> old ladies too.
>
> Well, it's good to have a hobby, isn't it?

"Look out" would work a bit better as a predecessor to the above, yes. You
appear a little less hostile in general :)

I ususally warm up with the bell. BBut Sometimes people just won't hear it
and swarm around in their own little world - e.g., opening car doors without
looking. That's when the shout is called for.

cfsmtb
August 7th 03, 02:33 AM
> I howl "LOOK OUT!!!!". It makes it really interesting because the
> pedestrians instantly leap in a random direction maximising the
> chances of bowling one over. Also good for scaring the absolute ****
> out of packs of old ladies too.

Hmm, a combination of voice, squeaky horn and ting-a-ling bell. Voice,
for traffic & heading off potential dooring incidents(& I'm lucky to
have a loud voice for a wee lass), squeaky horn for shared bikepaths or
stray peds ildling off footpaths. Guaranteed to get prompt attention & a
smile instead of bringing more aggression to the situation. Ting-a-ling
bell for a combination of peds & traffic. Sometimes all three in a
matter of microseconds.

For non-verbal, try pointing/ "polite" gesturing and baring the teeth
simultaneously when some inattentive twit attempts driving over you at
intersection/side street/drive way.:mad:

cfsmtb
August 7th 03, 02:33 AM
> I howl "LOOK OUT!!!!". It makes it really interesting because the
> pedestrians instantly leap in a random direction maximising the
> chances of bowling one over. Also good for scaring the absolute ****
> out of packs of old ladies too.

Hmm, a combination of voice, squeaky horn and ting-a-ling bell. Voice,
for traffic & heading off potential dooring incidents(& I'm lucky to
have a loud voice for a wee lass), squeaky horn for shared bikepaths or
stray peds ildling off footpaths. Guaranteed to get prompt attention & a
smile instead of bringing more aggression to the situation. Ting-a-ling
bell for a combination of peds & traffic. Sometimes all three in a
matter of microseconds.

For non-verbal, try pointing/ "polite" gesturing and baring the teeth
simultaneously when some inattentive twit attempts driving over you at
intersection/side street/drive way.:mad:

Arpit
August 7th 03, 05:58 AM
I'm actually gonna add a car horn to my bike. I was gonna put on a
train horn, but then foudn i need a big compressor. A train horn would
rock though :D
I already havea 12 volt electrical system to power my 50 watt halogen
light

wrote:

>Greetings RS,
> The essential object of a bell, like a car horn,
>is as a warning device. In this capacity, anything you can reasonably
>fit to a bicycle is totally inadequate in today's traffic. I have one of
>those silly little dingers on my bike because I've never bother taking
>it off, but my preferred warning method is along the lines of, WAKE UP,
>YOU BLOODY IDIOT. Much more effective.
>Regards,
> Ray.
>
>RS wrote:
>
>>Which sort of bell would most cyclists prefer?
>>Personally I like the old ring-a-tring bells. They sound like a bike, and one
>>stroke is needed for 2-3 seconds of noise, which is better than one "ting" or
>>"honk" from other sorts IMHO.
>>
>>RS
>>

>>"Time spent cycling is not added to one's life"

RS
August 7th 03, 07:42 AM
A whistle is a good solution for door openers.
I'd like to wire a car horn to SLA battery mounted under the top bar.

wrote:

>RS wrote:
>> Which sort of bell would most cyclists prefer?
>> Personally I like the old ring-a-tring bells. They sound like a bike, and one
>> stroke is needed for 2-3 seconds of noise, which is better than one "ting" or
>> "honk" from other sorts IMHO.
>>
>> RS
>>

>> "Time spent cycling is not added to one's life"
>>
>If you ride on bike paths, I find a bell is best. As I read somewhere
>once, people are more likely to react favourably (in a "Morning, Vicar"
>kind of a way) to a bell than to someone yelling at them, no matter how
>unaggro they are trying to sound.
>
>But yes, in traffic you may need to step up a level. I have actually
>managed to raise some door-opening drivers' awareness by nicely asking
>them if they looked first - if on the other hand you just yell at them,
>they are likely to put the experience down to "cyclists being w*nkers"
>and not change their behaviour. One can at least try, and hope :-)
>
>&roo
>Fixing the world, one door-opener at a time...

Jorgen
August 7th 03, 10:30 AM
"cfsmtb" > wrote in message
[...]

> For non-verbal, try pointing/ "polite" gesturing and baring the teeth
> simultaneously when some inattentive twit attempts driving over you at
> intersection/side street/drive way.:mad:

Mmmm, my most often used "non-verbal" for inattentive cagers is classified
as "road rage".

Myself I think it is a pretty mild response to someone trying to kill you.

Jorgen
August 7th 03, 10:30 AM
"cfsmtb" > wrote in message
[...]

> For non-verbal, try pointing/ "polite" gesturing and baring the teeth
> simultaneously when some inattentive twit attempts driving over you at
> intersection/side street/drive way.:mad:

Mmmm, my most often used "non-verbal" for inattentive cagers is classified
as "road rage".

Myself I think it is a pretty mild response to someone trying to kill you.

Jorgen
August 7th 03, 10:34 AM
"Deep Floyd Mars" > wrote in message
[...]
> I tend to assume that drivers cannot see me, and are not going to make
> allowances for me. This is part of being defensive on a bike. And you have
> to allow for drivers throwing their car doors open without looking. It
> happens all the time, and no matter how many education campaigns there
are,
> it wont make people glance in their side mirror first.
>
> Intersections can be fun, but you can always find a suitable, and safe,
line
> to take through. Being aware of the flow of traffic helps. Keeping an eye
> out for idiots that don't indicate, and don't know where they are going is
> not a bad idea either.

Agree with all of the above, especially the paths bit. Traffic is like a
constantly changing 3d picture, you just gotta make sure to "melt" into it.

I've found it helps with motorbike riding as well no end. I rode for several
years 360 days a year in the streets of Oslo before coming down here and
then finally getting a motorised vehicle in addition to my pushbikes.

I can go very fast through the traffic on my CBR250RR (soon to be R6'03?),
courtesy of all my pushbike training. I'm also very aware of those typical
pitfalls like when people don't tend to notice me, that's all automatic.

Jorgen
August 7th 03, 10:34 AM

"Arpit" > wrote in message
> I'm actually gonna add a car horn to my bike. I was gonna put on a
> train horn, but then foudn i need a big compressor. A train horn would
> rock though :D
> I already havea 12 volt electrical system to power my 50 watt halogen
> light

I don't know about you, but I want the horn Carrey used in the mask.

"Squeeze me gently."

Jorgen
August 7th 03, 10:34 AM
"Arpit" > wrote in message
> I'm actually gonna add a car horn to my bike. I was gonna put on a
> train horn, but then foudn i need a big compressor. A train horn would
> rock though :D
> I already havea 12 volt electrical system to power my 50 watt halogen
> light

I don't know about you, but I want the horn Carrey used in the mask.

"Squeeze me gently."

Arpit
August 7th 03, 11:17 AM
On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 09:15:37 GMT, Andre S. >
wrote:

>On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 18:50:08 +1000, Andrew Swan > wrote:
>
>>RS wrote:
>>> Which sort of bell would most cyclists prefer?
>

>>If you ride on bike paths, I find a bell is best. As I read somewhere
>
>>But yes, in traffic you may need to step up a level. I have actually
>
>I use the smallest bell that I could find mounted out of the way on stem.
>Even the best bell is useless on the road but legally required - bizzare.
>And if I really need to warn, I also need my hands on the brakes.
>The canti screech is pretty loud now I think of it.
>
>On the path, I consider bell and voice but now prefer a friendly "hello"
>as I overtake.

You overtake? heh, I'm always being overtaken :p

wrote:

>On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 18:50:08 +1000, Andrew Swan > wrote:
>
>>RS wrote:
>>> Which sort of bell would most cyclists prefer?
>

>>If you ride on bike paths, I find a bell is best. As I read somewhere
>
>>But yes, in traffic you may need to step up a level. I have actually
>
>I use the smallest bell that I could find mounted out of the way on stem.
>Even the best bell is useless on the road but legally required - bizzare.
>And if I really need to warn, I also need my hands on the brakes.
>The canti screech is pretty loud now I think of it.
>
>On the path, I consider bell and voice but now prefer a friendly "hello"
>as I overtake.

You overtake? heh, I'm always being overtaken :p

>AndreS.au ===> I ride therefore I am

Arpit
August 7th 03, 11:18 AM
On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 19:30:34 +1000, "Jorgen"
> wrote:

>"cfsmtb" > wrote in message
>[...]
>
>> For non-verbal, try pointing/ "polite" gesturing and baring the teeth
>> simultaneously when some inattentive twit attempts driving over you at
>> intersection/side street/drive way.:mad:
>
>Mmmm, my most often used "non-verbal" for inattentive cagers is classified
>as "road rage".

Cagers?
>Myself I think it is a pretty mild response to someone trying to kill you.

Arpit
August 7th 03, 11:18 AM
On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 19:30:34 +1000, "Jorgen"
> wrote:

>"cfsmtb" > wrote in message
>[...]
>
>> For non-verbal, try pointing/ "polite" gesturing and baring the teeth
>> simultaneously when some inattentive twit attempts driving over you at
>> intersection/side street/drive way.:mad:
>
>Mmmm, my most often used "non-verbal" for inattentive cagers is classified
>as "road rage".

Cagers?
>Myself I think it is a pretty mild response to someone trying to kill you.

Tim Jones
August 24th 03, 01:55 AM
"RS" > wrote in message
> Which sort of bell would most cyclists prefer?
> Personally I like the old ring-a-tring bells. They sound like a bike, and
one
> stroke is needed for 2-3 seconds of noise, which is better than one "ting"
or
> "honk" from other sorts IMHO.
>
> RS
>

> "Time spent cycling is not added to one's life"

I've been riding for the last 10 years without a bell. The best method of
getting attention on a bike track with morning walker travelling three
abreast (the most normal traffic hazard on bike tracks around my area) is to
call out passing from about 20 metres behind, then more insistently from
about 10 metres behind.

On the way past I also normally say thankyou, particularly if I have not had
to slow down.

Tim

Tim Jones
August 24th 03, 01:55 AM
"RS" > wrote in message
> Which sort of bell would most cyclists prefer?
> Personally I like the old ring-a-tring bells. They sound like a bike, and
one
> stroke is needed for 2-3 seconds of noise, which is better than one "ting"
or
> "honk" from other sorts IMHO.
>
> RS
>

> "Time spent cycling is not added to one's life"

I've been riding for the last 10 years without a bell. The best method of
getting attention on a bike track with morning walker travelling three
abreast (the most normal traffic hazard on bike tracks around my area) is to
call out passing from about 20 metres behind, then more insistently from
about 10 metres behind.

On the way past I also normally say thankyou, particularly if I have not had
to slow down.

Tim

Luther Blissett
August 24th 03, 02:18 AM
In NSW it is the law that you have to have a bell or some kind of
similar device.
In the city a bell works best, people tend to ignore you if you just
yell something at them.

--
Cheers
LB

No matter how fast I ride, my posts always catch up with me.

Luther Blissett
August 24th 03, 02:18 AM
In NSW it is the law that you have to have a bell or some kind of
similar device.
In the city a bell works best, people tend to ignore you if you just
yell something at them.

--
Cheers
LB

No matter how fast I ride, my posts always catch up with me.

Tim Jones
August 24th 03, 04:33 AM
"Luther Blissett" > wrote in
message ...
> In NSW it is the law that you have to have a bell or some kind of
> similar device.
> In the city a bell works best, people tend to ignore you if you just
> yell something at them.

Yeah - I know it's law in NSW; not here though (VIC) (AFAIK!).

With my bikes however, it is pointless setting one on, as I normally going a
decent pace, and could not mount one in a position convenient to ring
without adjusting my position in a big way. For my purposes the voice works
well.

Cheers,

TIm

Tim Jones
August 24th 03, 04:33 AM
"Luther Blissett" > wrote in
message ...
> In NSW it is the law that you have to have a bell or some kind of
> similar device.
> In the city a bell works best, people tend to ignore you if you just
> yell something at them.

Yeah - I know it's law in NSW; not here though (VIC) (AFAIK!).

With my bikes however, it is pointless setting one on, as I normally going a
decent pace, and could not mount one in a position convenient to ring
without adjusting my position in a big way. For my purposes the voice works
well.

Cheers,

TIm

Deep Flayed Mares
August 24th 03, 05:07 AM
Tim Jones > wrote in message
. au...

> "Luther Blissett" > wrote
in
> message ...
> > In NSW it is the law that you have to have a bell or some kind of
> > similar device.
> > In the city a bell works best, people tend to ignore you if you just
> > yell something at them.
> >

> Yeah - I know it's law in NSW; not here though (VIC) (AFAIK!).

Yeah, it is actually law in Vic, but it's just not enforced. Bicycles do
have to be sold with a bell though.

> With my bikes however, it is pointless setting one on, as I normally going
> decent pace, and could not mount one in a position convenient to ring
> without adjusting my position in a big way. For my purposes the voice
works
> well.

Me too. How hard is it to say "ding ding" anyway?

:o)
---
DFM

Deep Flayed Mares
August 24th 03, 05:07 AM
Tim Jones > wrote in message
. au...

> "Luther Blissett" > wrote
in
> message ...
> > In NSW it is the law that you have to have a bell or some kind of
> > similar device.
> > In the city a bell works best, people tend to ignore you if you just
> > yell something at them.
> >

> Yeah - I know it's law in NSW; not here though (VIC) (AFAIK!).

Yeah, it is actually law in Vic, but it's just not enforced. Bicycles do
have to be sold with a bell though.

> With my bikes however, it is pointless setting one on, as I normally going
> decent pace, and could not mount one in a position convenient to ring
> without adjusting my position in a big way. For my purposes the voice
works
> well.

Me too. How hard is it to say "ding ding" anyway?

:o)
---
DFM

Google