PDA

View Full Version : Which one is better?

Cyrus
August 6th 03, 11:46 AM
Hi! Can anyone give me advise about that 3 model of MTB? Which one is
better? All same price AUD$299.
Thanks a lot!

Melbourne
Cyrus

Special Edition Malvern Star - Aspect
Frame: 7005 Oversized Aluminium frame with replaceable rear drop out.
Forks:Adjustable RST 191TL Suspension fork, alloy crown.
Shifters: Shimano 24 speed indexed gears with Rapidfire Shifters.
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Acera 8 speed.
Brakes: Alloy Linear pull brakes.
Wheels: Alex Alloy rims; Stainless steel spokes & quick release alloy hubs.
Features: Alloy cranks, alloy seat post and alloy kickstand.

GT- Palomar
FRAME: GT Triple Triangle design frame, with protaper down tube,
hi-tensile steel tubing with semi forged dropouts.
FORK: RST Omni CL
CRANKSET: Suntour CW-128, 48,38,28
BB: Sealed Mech
PEDALS: High Impact nylon ATB
FRONT DER: Shimano TY-32
REAR DER: Shimano Acera
SHIFTERS: Sram MRX
FREEWHEEL: Shimano 7 Speed 14-28 HG
CHAIN: HG-50
RIMS: Alloy ATB
TYERS: Tioga Factory XC 26 x 1.95
FRONT HUB: Alloy QR, with sealed
system cro-mo axle
REAR HUB: Alloy QR, with sealed
system cro-mo axle
SPOKES: Stainless steel 14 gauge
FRONT BRAKE: Tektro Linear Pull
REAR BRAKE: Tektro Linear Pull
BRAKE LEVERS: Tektro
HANDLEBAR: 20 mm Rise, 6 degree bend, anatomically sized
STEM: GT ATB, Forged threadless 25 degree rise with two bolt alum face
plate
GRIPS: GT ATB
made in China
Mongoose- Switchback SX
Frame: Comes in Gents & Ladies (ladies small only) designed HiTen
steel frame with CrMo seat tube.
Forks: MOZO USA C-710 suspension forks.
Gears: 21 Speed; Sram MRX 7 speed shifters matched with Shimano
derailleurs.
Brakes: Alloy linear pull brakes.
Wheels:Alloy Alex Z-1000 26" rims; alloy quick release hubs; &
stainless steel spokes.
Features: Comfortable Selle Royal Freedom Gel seat and alloy
suspension seat post.
made in Taiwan

hippy
August 6th 03, 11:15 PM
"Cyrus" > wrote in message
> Hi! Can anyone give me advise about that 3 model of MTB? Which one is
> better? All same price AUD$299.
> Thanks a lot!
<snip>

Define the type of riding you will be doing and then test ride
the bikes that still meet your criteria for that type of riding.
Go to a reputable store and ask lots of questions. Then
buy one. ;)

hippy

hippy
August 6th 03, 11:15 PM
"Cyrus" > wrote in message
> Hi! Can anyone give me advise about that 3 model of MTB? Which one is
> better? All same price AUD$299.
> Thanks a lot!
<snip>

Define the type of riding you will be doing and then test ride
the bikes that still meet your criteria for that type of riding.
Go to a reputable store and ask lots of questions. Then
buy one. ;)

hippy

Joel Mayes
August 7th 03, 02:15 PM
In article >, Cyrus wrote:
> Hi! Can anyone give me advise about that 3 model of MTB? Which one is
> better? All same price AUD$299.
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Melbourne
> Cyrus

The bikes are very basic MTB, probably more suited for occasional
recreational riding, if you ride either of these every day look to spend
the purchase price in repairs in about 12 months time, sooner if you do
any realy rough riding.

Go for a test ride, talk to the guy in the store about the sort of
riding you intend to do, but at that sort of price range most bikes will
be the almost the same.

Cheers

Joel

--
| Joel Mayes | Linux and OpenBSD | /"\ ASCII ribbon |
| Accordionist | | \ / campaign against |

Joel Mayes
August 7th 03, 02:15 PM
In article >, Cyrus wrote:
> Hi! Can anyone give me advise about that 3 model of MTB? Which one is
> better? All same price AUD$299.
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Melbourne
> Cyrus

The bikes are very basic MTB, probably more suited for occasional
recreational riding, if you ride either of these every day look to spend
the purchase price in repairs in about 12 months time, sooner if you do
any realy rough riding.

Go for a test ride, talk to the guy in the store about the sort of
riding you intend to do, but at that sort of price range most bikes will
be the almost the same.

Cheers

Joel

--
| Joel Mayes | Linux and OpenBSD | /"\ ASCII ribbon |
| Accordionist | | \ / campaign against |
| Musician | My PC, My Rules | X HTML mail and |
| Music Teacher | | / \ postings |

Arpit
August 8th 03, 08:12 AM
Repairs? what sort of repairs would you need to pay for that you can't
do yourself?

wrote:

>In article >, Cyrus wrote:
>> Hi! Can anyone give me advise about that 3 model of MTB? Which one is
>> better? All same price AUD$299.
>> Thanks a lot!
>>
>> Melbourne
>> Cyrus
>
>The bikes are very basic MTB, probably more suited for occasional
>recreational riding, if you ride either of these every day look to spend
>the purchase price in repairs in about 12 months time, sooner if you do
>any realy rough riding.
>
>Go for a test ride, talk to the guy in the store about the sort of
>riding you intend to do, but at that sort of price range most bikes will
>be the almost the same.
>
>Cheers
>
>Joel

cate hall
August 8th 03, 11:53 AM
Arpit wrote:
> Repairs? what sort of repairs would you need to pay for that you can't
> do yourself?
> On 07 Aug 2003 13:15:59 GMT, Joel Mayes > wrote:
> >In article >, Cyrus wrote:
> >> Hi! Can anyone give me advise about that 3 model of MTB? Which one is
> >> better? All same price AUD$299. Thanks a lot!
> >>
> >> Melbourne Cyrus
> >
> >The bikes are very basic MTB, probably more suited for occasional
> >recreational riding, if you ride either of these every day look to
> >spend the purchase price in repairs in about 12 months time, sooner if
> >you do any realy rough riding.
> >
> >Go for a test ride, talk to the guy in the store about the sort of
> >riding you intend to do, but at that sort of price range most bikes
> >will be the almost the same.
> >
> >Cheers
> >
> >Joel

Hi there I bought the GT Palomar 2yrs ago as my first MTB I've used it
every day for commuting since then and been on lots of 30-60km day
rides on bike paths and railtrails. I haven't had to do any repairs at
all and have only oiled it twice The only problem is it's very heavy
but what do you expect at that price It was much easier once I got
semi-slick tyres and bar extensions help on long rides If that's all
you can afford it's better to be biking than not1 My next bike will be
a light wieght tourer or road bike but I got bogged down in choice so
stopped looking. goodluck!

cate hall
August 8th 03, 11:53 AM
Arpit wrote:
> Repairs? what sort of repairs would you need to pay for that you can't
> do yourself?
> On 07 Aug 2003 13:15:59 GMT, Joel Mayes > wrote:
> >In article >, Cyrus wrote:
> >> Hi! Can anyone give me advise about that 3 model of MTB? Which one is
> >> better? All same price AUD$299. Thanks a lot!
> >>
> >> Melbourne Cyrus
> >
> >The bikes are very basic MTB, probably more suited for occasional
> >recreational riding, if you ride either of these every day look to
> >spend the purchase price in repairs in about 12 months time, sooner if
> >you do any realy rough riding.
> >
> >Go for a test ride, talk to the guy in the store about the sort of
> >riding you intend to do, but at that sort of price range most bikes
> >will be the almost the same.
> >
> >Cheers
> >
> >Joel

Hi there I bought the GT Palomar 2yrs ago as my first MTB I've used it
every day for commuting since then and been on lots of 30-60km day
rides on bike paths and railtrails. I haven't had to do any repairs at
all and have only oiled it twice The only problem is it's very heavy
but what do you expect at that price It was much easier once I got
semi-slick tyres and bar extensions help on long rides If that's all
you can afford it's better to be biking than not1 My next bike will be
a light wieght tourer or road bike but I got bogged down in choice so
stopped looking. goodluck!

Jose Rizal
August 9th 03, 06:03 AM
Cyrus:

> Hi! Can anyone give me advise about that 3 model of MTB? Which one is
> better? All same price AUD$299.
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Melbourne
> Cyrus
>

> Special Edition Malvern Star - Aspect
> Frame: 7005 Oversized Aluminium frame with replaceable rear drop out.
> Forks:Adjustable RST 191TL Suspension fork, alloy crown.
> Shifters: Shimano 24 speed indexed gears with Rapidfire Shifters.
> Rear Derailleur: Shimano Acera 8 speed.
> Brakes: Alloy Linear pull brakes.
> Wheels: Alex Alloy rims; Stainless steel spokes & quick release alloy hubs.
> Features: Alloy cranks, alloy seat post and alloy kickstand.
> ************************************************** *****

Give this one a miss, mainly for the 7005 Al tubing. 7005, while
exhibiting a longer fatigue life than 6xxx series Al, is very
susceptible to corrosion. Since scratches will be unavoidable on your
frame, there will be scratched spots that may act as stress risers when
they corrode.

> GT- Palomar
> FRAME: GT Triple Triangle design frame, with protaper down tube,
> hi-tensile steel tubing with semi forged dropouts.
> FORK: RST Omni CL
> CRANKSET: Suntour CW-128, 48,38,28
> BB: Sealed Mech
> PEDALS: High Impact nylon ATB
> FRONT DER: Shimano TY-32
> REAR DER: Shimano Acera
> SHIFTERS: Sram MRX
> FREEWHEEL: Shimano 7 Speed 14-28 HG
> CHAIN: HG-50
> RIMS: Alloy ATB
> TYERS: Tioga Factory XC 26 x 1.95
> FRONT HUB: Alloy QR, with sealed
> system cro-mo axle
> REAR HUB: Alloy QR, with sealed
> system cro-mo axle
> SPOKES: Stainless steel 14 gauge
> FRONT BRAKE: Tektro Linear Pull
> REAR BRAKE: Tektro Linear Pull
> BRAKE LEVERS: Tektro
> HANDLEBAR: 20 mm Rise, 6 degree bend, anatomically sized
> STEM: GT ATB, Forged threadless 25 degree rise with two bolt alum face
> plate
> GRIPS: GT ATB
> made in China
> ************************************************** *******
> Mongoose- Switchback SX
> Frame: Comes in Gents & Ladies (ladies small only) designed HiTen
> steel frame with CrMo seat tube.
> Forks: MOZO USA C-710 suspension forks.
> Gears: 21 Speed; Sram MRX 7 speed shifters matched with Shimano
> derailleurs.
> Brakes: Alloy linear pull brakes.
> Wheels:Alloy Alex Z-1000 26" rims; alloy quick release hubs; &
> stainless steel spokes.
> Features: Comfortable Selle Royal Freedom Gel seat and alloy
> suspension seat post.
> made in Taiwan

Ride these last two and see which fits you better. Replace components
as they get worn; this is a reasonable way to upgrade a bike. You may
also want to see if the shop can do a deal for you on component swaps: I
find grip shifters a right PITA.

Jose Rizal
August 9th 03, 06:03 AM
Cyrus:

> [...]

> made in China
> ************************************************** *******
> Mongoose- Switchback SX
> Frame: Comes in Gents & Ladies (ladies small only) designed HiTen
> steel frame with CrMo seat tube.
> Forks: MOZO USA C-710 suspension forks.
> Gears: 21 Speed; Sram MRX 7 speed shifters matched with Shimano
> derailleurs.
> Brakes: Alloy linear pull brakes.
> Wheels:Alloy Alex Z-1000 26" rims; alloy quick release hubs; &
> stainless steel spokes.
> Features: Comfortable Selle Royal Freedom Gel seat and alloy
> suspension seat post.
> made in Taiwan

Ride these last two and see which fits you better. Replace components
as they get worn; this is a reasonable way to upgrade a bike. You may
also want to see if the shop can do a deal for you on component swaps: I

Rado bladteth Rzeznicki
August 10th 03, 03:17 AM
Jose Rizal wrote:

> Give this one a miss, mainly for the 7005 Al tubing. 7005, while
> exhibiting a longer fatigue life than 6xxx series Al, is very
> susceptible to corrosion. Since scratches will be unavoidable on your
> frame, there will be scratched spots that may act as stress risers when
> they corrode.

What is the source of this myth? Aluminium alloys does not corrode,
because they instantly form oxide layer on the surface when exposed
to air. Perhaps this could be an issue when you rode your bike on the
beach only, but still it would take years to weaken the frame.

--
Best regards,
Rado bladteth Rzeznicki

MCM #252

Rado bladteth Rzeznicki
August 10th 03, 03:17 AM
Jose Rizal wrote:

> Give this one a miss, mainly for the 7005 Al tubing. 7005, while
> exhibiting a longer fatigue life than 6xxx series Al, is very
> susceptible to corrosion. Since scratches will be unavoidable on your
> frame, there will be scratched spots that may act as stress risers when
> they corrode.

What is the source of this myth? Aluminium alloys does not corrode,
because they instantly form oxide layer on the surface when exposed
to air. Perhaps this could be an issue when you rode your bike on the
beach only, but still it would take years to weaken the frame.

--
Best regards,
Rado bladteth Rzeznicki
http://www.widzew.net/~bladteth/rower.html

MCM #252

Jose Rizal
August 10th 03, 06:39 AM
Rado bladteth Rzeznicki:

> Jose Rizal wrote:
>
> > Give this one a miss, mainly for the 7005 Al tubing. 7005, while
> > exhibiting a longer fatigue life than 6xxx series Al, is very
> > susceptible to corrosion. Since scratches will be unavoidable on your
> > frame, there will be scratched spots that may act as stress risers when
> > they corrode.
>
> What is the source of this myth? Aluminium alloys does not corrode,
> because they instantly form oxide layer on the surface when exposed
> to air. Perhaps this could be an issue when you rode your bike on the
> beach only, but still it would take years to weaken the frame.

Read up on your materials science. Different Al alloys exhibit
different properties. 7xxx alloys are prone to stress corrosion
cracking due to soluble alloying elements copper, magnesium, silicon,
and zinc. Copper-free 7xxx alloys such as 7005 exhibit better corrosion
resistance, but as a group, copper-free 7xxx alloys are less resistant
to SCC than other types of aluminum alloys when tensile stresses are
developed in the short-transverse direction at exposed surfaces (see
reference below). Care must also be taken in properly heat-treating
7005, as it can lose up to half its strength on welding temperatures.
Can you be assured that a sub-$500 bike frame has been heat-treated
appropriately?

For the layman: http://www.key-to-metals.com/Article17.htm

Jose Rizal
August 10th 03, 06:39 AM
Rado bladteth Rzeznicki:

> Jose Rizal wrote:
>
> > Give this one a miss, mainly for the 7005 Al tubing. 7005, while
> > exhibiting a longer fatigue life than 6xxx series Al, is very
> > susceptible to corrosion. Since scratches will be unavoidable on your
> > frame, there will be scratched spots that may act as stress risers when
> > they corrode.
>
> What is the source of this myth? Aluminium alloys does not corrode,
> because they instantly form oxide layer on the surface when exposed
> to air. Perhaps this could be an issue when you rode your bike on the
> beach only, but still it would take years to weaken the frame.

Read up on your materials science. Different Al alloys exhibit
different properties. 7xxx alloys are prone to stress corrosion
cracking due to soluble alloying elements copper, magnesium, silicon,
and zinc. Copper-free 7xxx alloys such as 7005 exhibit better corrosion
resistance, but as a group, copper-free 7xxx alloys are less resistant
to SCC than other types of aluminum alloys when tensile stresses are
developed in the short-transverse direction at exposed surfaces (see
reference below). Care must also be taken in properly heat-treating
7005, as it can lose up to half its strength on welding temperatures.
Can you be assured that a sub-$500 bike frame has been heat-treated
appropriately?

For the layman: http://www.key-to-metals.com/Article17.htm

Jose Rizal
August 10th 03, 05:20 PM
Rado bladteth Rzeznicki:

> Jose Rizal wrote:
>
> > Read up on your materials science. Different Al alloys exhibit
> > different properties.
>
> Nice reference, but I've got one question. What do you consider as
> "damaging" environment?

What I consider damaging environment is irrelevant. It's what the Al
alloy sees as damaging environment which matters.

From http://www.key-to-metals.com/ViewArticle.asp?ID=17&SessionID=

"Well-known specific environments include water vapor, aqueous
solutions, organic liquids and liquid metals. Stresses sufficient for
crack initiation and crack growth can be far below the stresses required
for gross yielding, especially in those alloy/environment combinations
that are of practical importance, e.g., high strength aluminum alloys in
air."

7005 used on bike frames fits the bill for these conditions.

> > Can you be assured that a sub-$500 bike frame has been heat-treated
> > appropriately?
>
> No and the alloy grade doesn't change this assurance at all.

Non-7XXX series alloys do not possess as heat-sensitive characteristics,
hence some do not require heat-treatment at all. Another point is that
the 7005 alloy, although having a narrower melting point range, still
possesses a higher crack sensitivity during welding than other Al alloys
and hence require more care during welding. I don't think you read the
reference at all.

Jose Rizal
August 10th 03, 05:20 PM
Rado bladteth Rzeznicki:

From http://www.key-to-metals.com/ViewArticle.asp?ID=17&SessionID=

"Well-known specific environments include water vapor, aqueous
solutions, organic liquids and liquid metals. Stresses sufficient for
crack initiation and crack growth can be far below the stresses required
for gross yielding, especially in those alloy/environment combinations
that are of practical importance, e.g., high strength aluminum alloys in
air."

7005 used on bike frames fits the bill for these conditions.

> > Can you be assured that a sub-$500 bike frame has been heat-treated
> > appropriately?
>
> No and the alloy grade doesn't change this assurance at all.

Non-7XXX series alloys do not possess as heat-sensitive characteristics,
hence some do not require heat-treatment at all. Another point is that
the 7005 alloy, although having a narrower melting point range, still
possesses a higher crack sensitivity during welding than other Al alloys
and hence require more care during welding. I don't think you read the
reference at all.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home