PDA

View Full Version : Learsport bikes

rd
August 8th 03, 04:42 AM
Does anyone have any experience with Learsport bikes?
They are having a big promotion in Melbourne shopping
centres at the moment and seem quite well priced.

Nick Payne
August 10th 03, 10:55 PM
Someone turned up on our training ride on one yesterday. Seemed adequately
constructed, and the rider said he had been riding it since April without
any problems. It used all Shimano 105 components including the Shimano 540
wheels. He said he paid $1700 new.

"rd" > wrote in message
> Does anyone have any experience with Learsport bikes?
> They are having a big promotion in Melbourne shopping
> centres at the moment and seem quite well priced.

Ben Long
August 12th 03, 12:06 AM
G'day Sprocket,

Can you tell me the model name/number of the mtb you have? I am looking for
a new commuter after using an Avanti Montari comp series for several years
and have been seeing these Learsport bikes all over the place lately. I
spoke to a young spotty kid selling them at the local shopping centre at the
weekend and he tried to sell me a crappy steel frame job with a plastic
saddle... but I'm sure they can do better. Any recommendations?

Cheers,

Ben

"sprocketgrinder" > wrote in message
> I have a learsport 3270 mtb and it has worked like a dream for a year
> and a half doing lots of commuting work on roads and some trails. not
> much off road training use as yet due to work and child duties but it
> has deore standard and it is faultless, especially the shifting and
> brakes. Only modifications were mini bar ends and my preferred pedal .
>
> I think it's a little on the heavy side for racing but if you were fit
> enough you could get away with it. Hope the info helps.
>

> --
> "Find me a mountain and I'll climb it"

Ben Long
August 12th 03, 12:06 AM
G'day Sprocket,

Can you tell me the model name/number of the mtb you have? I am looking for
a new commuter after using an Avanti Montari comp series for several years
and have been seeing these Learsport bikes all over the place lately. I
spoke to a young spotty kid selling them at the local shopping centre at the
weekend and he tried to sell me a crappy steel frame job with a plastic
saddle... but I'm sure they can do better. Any recommendations?

Cheers,

Ben

"sprocketgrinder" > wrote in message
> I have a learsport 3270 mtb and it has worked like a dream for a year
> and a half doing lots of commuting work on roads and some trails. not
> much off road training use as yet due to work and child duties but it
> has deore standard and it is faultless, especially the shifting and
> brakes. Only modifications were mini bar ends and my preferred pedal .
>
> I think it's a little on the heavy side for racing but if you were fit
> enough you could get away with it. Hope the info helps.
>

> --
> "Find me a mountain and I'll climb it"

amirm
August 12th 03, 01:53 AM
Rd wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience with Learsport bikes? They are having a
> big promotion in Melbourne shopping centres at the moment and seem quite
> well priced.

They have just opened a store in Melbourne.

Yes the pricing is very competitive.

I have recently bought one of their Roadies. So far so good. To start
off with, the only thing that will put this new and relatively unknown
brand aside from others is the frame. The Shimano components are, well,
the same. The workmanship, in terms of putting the parts together (not
the frame quality), depends on the mechanic. I would say, it needs a
little tidying up. The frame is using the same current tubing
technologies as others. They do not reveal who in Taiwan is actually
building their frames, but the frame on my new Lear8000 looks stunning.

Someone with bike mechanics experience can use the material that comes
with bike, and with a few modifications, it can be turned into a very
decent bike. The price will still be low.

I first bought a Lear7700 based on Tiagra. The bike with Shimano
WH-R540 wheels was $1450. After three weeks, I asked to upgrade to
Lear8000 based on Shimano 105. They agreed without a hassle, and I paid
$200 for the change-over. That's $1650 ($1550 without saddle and
seatpost). Come on, the 105 grouppo plus those wheels cost $1500 by
themselves. So what can go wrong in terms of investment? Even if the
frame doesn't live up to the expected life (despite 15 year warranty),
no money would be wasted.

Modifications that I did was using my own seatpost and saddle (they
agreed to remove these parts and give me the credit). I also swapped the
rear cassette for an Ultegra 11t-23t. I use my own KoolStop brake pads
on the 105 callipers.

I have done about 500km of commuting so far, and everything looks good.
I did fine-tune deraileurs according Shimano's specs.

amirm
August 12th 03, 01:53 AM
Rd wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience with Learsport bikes? They are having a
> big promotion in Melbourne shopping centres at the moment and seem quite
> well priced.

They have just opened a store in Melbourne.

Yes the pricing is very competitive.

I have recently bought one of their Roadies. So far so good. To start
off with, the only thing that will put this new and relatively unknown
brand aside from others is the frame. The Shimano components are, well,
the same. The workmanship, in terms of putting the parts together (not
the frame quality), depends on the mechanic. I would say, it needs a
little tidying up. The frame is using the same current tubing
technologies as others. They do not reveal who in Taiwan is actually
building their frames, but the frame on my new Lear8000 looks stunning.

Someone with bike mechanics experience can use the material that comes
with bike, and with a few modifications, it can be turned into a very
decent bike. The price will still be low.

I first bought a Lear7700 based on Tiagra. The bike with Shimano
WH-R540 wheels was $1450. After three weeks, I asked to upgrade to
Lear8000 based on Shimano 105. They agreed without a hassle, and I paid
$200 for the change-over. That's $1650 ($1550 without saddle and
seatpost). Come on, the 105 grouppo plus those wheels cost $1500 by
themselves. So what can go wrong in terms of investment? Even if the
frame doesn't live up to the expected life (despite 15 year warranty),
no money would be wasted.

Modifications that I did was using my own seatpost and saddle (they
agreed to remove these parts and give me the credit). I also swapped the
rear cassette for an Ultegra 11t-23t. I use my own KoolStop brake pads
on the 105 callipers.

I have done about 500km of commuting so far, and everything looks good.
I did fine-tune deraileurs according Shimano's specs.

Remissions
August 12th 03, 03:49 AM
I bought a learsport about two years ago , it was only the chepo $300
mountain bike with the basic shimano gear set. Over all I am very happy with
it.

I bought it from the warwhouse in Lidcome in Sydeny, they appear to be be a
very straight up and down high volume low cost importer of quality bikes.

Nick Payne > wrote in message
> Someone turned up on our training ride on one yesterday. Seemed adequately
> constructed, and the rider said he had been riding it since April without
> any problems. It used all Shimano 105 components including the Shimano 540
> wheels. He said he paid $1700 new.
>
> "rd" > wrote in message
> > Does anyone have any experience with Learsport bikes?
> > They are having a big promotion in Melbourne shopping
> > centres at the moment and seem quite well priced.

sprocketgrinder
August 16th 03, 11:23 PM
Top of the line Learsoprt road frame with DURA ACE 9speed

$3500!!!!!!!!!!!

you will not see any cheaper folks

--
"Find me a mountain and I'll climb it"

sprocketgrinder
August 16th 03, 11:23 PM
Top of the line Learsoprt road frame with DURA ACE 9speed

$3500!!!!!!!!!!!

you will not see any cheaper folks

--
"Find me a mountain and I'll climb it"

Tim Jones
August 22nd 03, 05:20 AM
"sprocketgrinder" > wrote in message
> Top of the line Learsoprt road frame with DURA ACE 9speed
>
> $3500!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> you will not see any cheaper folks

Unless you buy direct from Learsport ;-)

Learsport 9000

Our top of the line competition racer. It has Shimano Dura-Ace, and Mavic
rims. With carbon fork, seatpost and stem, and a special ultra light
aluminium and carbon frame, it's under 9 kgs with the pedals on.
a.. Columbus Zonal Altec2 Alum. Compact Frame
b.. Carbon aero straight fork
c.. Shimano Dura-Ace group set
d.. Richey Road double wall alloy rims
e.. Special carbon swingarm
$3199

http://www.learsport.com/Racing.htm

Tim

Tim Jones
August 22nd 03, 05:20 AM
"sprocketgrinder" > wrote in message
> Top of the line Learsoprt road frame with DURA ACE 9speed
>
> $3500!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> you will not see any cheaper folks

Unless you buy direct from Learsport ;-)

Learsport 9000

Our top of the line competition racer. It has Shimano Dura-Ace, and Mavic
rims. With carbon fork, seatpost and stem, and a special ultra light
aluminium and carbon frame, it's under 9 kgs with the pedals on.
a.. Columbus Zonal Altec2 Alum. Compact Frame
b.. Carbon aero straight fork
c.. Shimano Dura-Ace group set
d.. Richey Road double wall alloy rims
e.. Special carbon swingarm
$3199

http://www.learsport.com/Racing.htm

Tim

Tony
August 22nd 03, 05:40 AM
what is a Special Carbon swingarm??

"Tim Jones" > wrote in message
. au...

> "sprocketgrinder" > wrote in message
> > Top of the line Learsoprt road frame with DURA ACE 9speed
> >
> > $3500!!!!!!!!!!!
> >
> > you will not see any cheaper folks
> >

> Unless you buy direct from Learsport ;-)
>
> Learsport 9000
>
> Our top of the line competition racer. It has Shimano Dura-Ace, and Mavic
> rims. With carbon fork, seatpost and stem, and a special ultra light
> aluminium and carbon frame, it's under 9 kgs with the pedals on.
> a.. Columbus Zonal Altec2 Alum. Compact Frame
> b.. Carbon aero straight fork
> c.. Shimano Dura-Ace group set
> d.. Richey Road double wall alloy rims
> e.. Special carbon swingarm
> $3199
>
> http://www.learsport.com/Racing.htm
>
> Tim

Tony
August 22nd 03, 05:40 AM
what is a Special Carbon swingarm??

"Tim Jones" > wrote in message
. au...

> "sprocketgrinder" > wrote in message
> > Top of the line Learsoprt road frame with DURA ACE 9speed
> >
> > $3500!!!!!!!!!!!
> >
> > you will not see any cheaper folks
> >

> Unless you buy direct from Learsport ;-)
>
> Learsport 9000
>
> Our top of the line competition racer. It has Shimano Dura-Ace, and Mavic
> rims. With carbon fork, seatpost and stem, and a special ultra light
> aluminium and carbon frame, it's under 9 kgs with the pedals on.
> a.. Columbus Zonal Altec2 Alum. Compact Frame
> b.. Carbon aero straight fork
> c.. Shimano Dura-Ace group set
> d.. Richey Road double wall alloy rims
> e.. Special carbon swingarm
> $3199
>
> http://www.learsport.com/Racing.htm
>
> Tim

hippy
August 22nd 03, 05:50 AM
"Tony" > wrote in message
> what is a Special Carbon swingarm??

Maybe the carbon seat-stays?

hip

P.S. Dura-Ace group from Cecil Walker is $1770

hippy
August 22nd 03, 05:50 AM
"Tony" > wrote in message
> what is a Special Carbon swingarm??

Maybe the carbon seat-stays?

hip

P.S. Dura-Ace group from Cecil Walker is $1770

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home