PDA

View Full Version : Re: Magpie!

Paul J
August 11th 03, 12:23 AM
You think that's bad? At Brisbane airport (popular ride) there's one
that starts in June and keeps going till January. It's a real *******
too. It doesn't just attack near it's nest (if it has one)... it keeps
attacking for about a hundred metres or so along a flat where you can be
doing about 40km/h. I think it's a bit long long (pigin for mental).

--
"Find me a mountain and I'll climb it"

Paul J
August 11th 03, 12:23 AM
You think that's bad? At Brisbane airport (popular ride) there's one
that starts in June and keeps going till January. It's a real *******
too. It doesn't just attack near it's nest (if it has one)... it keeps
attacking for about a hundred metres or so along a flat where you can be
doing about 40km/h. I think it's a bit long long (pigin for mental).

--
"Find me a mountain and I'll climb it"

sprocketgrinder
August 11th 03, 12:23 AM
An early start to the season, great. They normally mate in late winter
and usually lay eggs soon after ie late august and this is when the
attacks start.

I nearly got killed when I got nailed a few years ago on a training ride
out near Lismore and this bird hit me with such force that it skewed my
helmet right off the left side of my headand reefed my sunniesso that
they were hanging precariously off my nose and I had to grab them before
they hit the deck.

Anyway, was intently watching this vicious suckers every move when I
turned around and see that I've drifted onto the wrong side of the road
with a ford falcon boring down at me at about 100. Never take your eyes
off the road when under magpie attack. They could cost you your life so
just keep pedalling and hack it.

--
[...]

August 11th 03, 12:53 AM
Yeah, we had a different one just outside lismore that would divebomb
till mid december. I don't know how he did it coz he only had about 3
flight feathers left, he was that ragged and would flap around for ages
trying to swing around for another pass.

Instinct can be a pain in the arse.

--
"Find me a mountain and I'll climb it"

sprocketgrinder
August 11th 03, 12:53 AM
Yeah, we had a different one just outside lismore that would divebomb
till mid december. I don't know how he did it coz he only had about 3
flight feathers left, he was that ragged and would flap around for ages
trying to swing around for another pass.

Instinct can be a pain in the arse.

--
"Find me a mountain and I'll climb it"

PC
August 11th 03, 01:03 AM
On 11 Aug 2003 09:13:09 +0950, sprocketgrinder
> wrote:

>I nearly got killed when I got nailed a few years ago on a training ride
>out near Lismore and this bird hit me with such force that it skewed my
>helmet right off the left side of my headand reefed my sunniesso that
>they were hanging precariously off my nose and I had to grab them before
>they hit the deck.

If only I still had a quick release for my D lock, some magpies need a
bit of a clobbering to bring them a bit of perspective..

PC

PC
August 11th 03, 01:03 AM
On 11 Aug 2003 09:13:09 +0950, sprocketgrinder
> wrote:

>I nearly got killed when I got nailed a few years ago on a training ride
>out near Lismore and this bird hit me with such force that it skewed my
>helmet right off the left side of my headand reefed my sunniesso that
>they were hanging precariously off my nose and I had to grab them before
>they hit the deck.

If only I still had a quick release for my D lock, some magpies need a
bit of a clobbering to bring them a bit of perspective..

PC

Wainwright
August 11th 03, 08:08 AM
Not the magpie thread already!!!!

A friend who I see on the ride home most nights told me today that she was
knocked off her bike by one of the monsters at the weekend here in
Newcastle.

--
Drop Dead if you want to reply personally

Wainwright
August 11th 03, 08:08 AM
Not the magpie thread already!!!!

A friend who I see on the ride home most nights told me today that she was
knocked off her bike by one of the monsters at the weekend here in
Newcastle.

--
Drop Dead if you want to reply personally

cfsmtb
August 11th 03, 08:25 AM
Hmmm, last year, Darebin Bicycle Users Group were giving away large
"eye" stickers to put on the rear of your helmet.

The theory was that the giant eyes would scare off the little winged
buggers. Can't remember where DarebinBUG scored the stickers or any
feedback on their effectiveness against magpie attacks. Maybe try out a
DIY solution via either fridge textas, Adobe Photoshop or QuarkXpress?

Check out DarebinBUG's url: www.darebinbug.org.au

cfsmtb
August 11th 03, 08:25 AM
Hmmm, last year, Darebin Bicycle Users Group were giving away large
"eye" stickers to put on the rear of your helmet.

The theory was that the giant eyes would scare off the little winged
buggers. Can't remember where DarebinBUG scored the stickers or any
feedback on their effectiveness against magpie attacks. Maybe try out a
DIY solution via either fridge textas, Adobe Photoshop or QuarkXpress?

Check out DarebinBUG's url: www.darebinbug.org.au

Andrew Morris
August 11th 03, 02:01 PM
You can also buy big "boggle eyes" that stick onto your helmet at
Spotlight....

Had some of them on my old motor bike helmet...

"cfsmtb" > wrote in message
> Hmmm, last year, Darebin Bicycle Users Group were giving away large
> "eye" stickers to put on the rear of your helmet.
>
> The theory was that the giant eyes would scare off the little winged
> buggers. Can't remember where DarebinBUG scored the stickers or any
> feedback on their effectiveness against magpie attacks. Maybe try out a
> DIY solution via either fridge textas, Adobe Photoshop or QuarkXpress?
>
> Check out DarebinBUG's url: www.darebinbug.org.au
>

> --

Peter Cremasco
August 15th 03, 06:50 AM
On 10 Aug 2003 17:11:45 -0700, (Rob Woozle) wrote:

>It probably is a little early but given the good weather they are
>probably a little confused.
>
>I know that a couple looked menacingly at me the other day but
>obviously weren't quite ready to swoop.

What are the fibreglass poles, with flags that stick up above your head,
like for thwarting dive bombing pies?

---
Cheers

PeterC

[Rushing headlong: out of control - and there ain't no stopping]
[and there's nothing you can do about it at all]

Peter Cremasco
August 15th 03, 06:50 AM
On 10 Aug 2003 17:11:45 -0700, (Rob Woozle) wrote:

>It probably is a little early but given the good weather they are
>probably a little confused.
>
>I know that a couple looked menacingly at me the other day but
>obviously weren't quite ready to swoop.

What are the fibreglass poles, with flags that stick up above your head,
like for thwarting dive bombing pies?

---
Cheers

PeterC

[Rushing headlong: out of control - and there ain't no stopping]
[and there's nothing you can do about it at all]

Spider1977
August 15th 03, 01:53 PM
We had a magpie at our golf club. This magpie took a dislike to one
bloke in particular. It's quite unusual for magpies in Tasmania to
attack. I lived in Canberra and Melbourne so I know all about aggressive
magpies. Anyway, back to the story.

Every week this bloke, Bluey, would hit his drive off the 16th. Sure
enough as he walked down the fairway the magpie would swoop out of the
large white gum on the left and take off his hat and occaissionally
leave a little scratch on his knape. This went on for months with Bluey
cursing and swearing revenge.

One bright sunny summer morning, Bluey was particularly chirpy on the
16th tee. His mates were quite surprised, expecting Bluey to come under
the usual attack. He launched a magnificent drive down the middle of the
fairway. One of Bluey's mates remarked that was the best shot he'd hit
in 10 years. Bluey said, "you aint seen nothin yet!"

Well after hitting off they all proceeded down the path. Bluey's mates
kept a respectable distance behind him, just in case the magpie was
about, and changed it's mind about who to attack. Bluey walked
resolutely, not looking left or right. He arrived at his ball and no
sign of his enemy. He turned to his bag and rumbled around for his
trusty five wood for his next shot. Just as this happened the magpie
gave a squark and descended from the tree at a rate of knots. Bluey
continued to rumble in his bag unperturbed.

In the meantime his mates begin to tremble with anticipation and some
mirth. "Watch out Bluey, the bugger is going to get you again."

Bluey reaches into the depths of his bag, pulls out a shot gun and
shoots the magpie at point blank range. He nonchantly puts the gun back
in the bag, hits the five wood with the ball finishing less than a foot
from the pin. He turns to his mates and says "It's birdie time!"

Bluey gave up golf, not long after that. "The challenge has gone out of
the game," he said.

[...]

August 16th 03, 03:53 PM
Rob Woozle wrote:
> Yep...I admit that it would be nice to pull out a shotgun and blast away
> at the marauding magpie swooping me...however, tempting as it may sound,
> magpies are a protected species.
> Rob

Rob, If we all pitch and raise our hands to the government, well, you
know.................

--

Rob Woozle wrote:
> Yep...I admit that it would be nice to pull out a shotgun and blast away
> at the marauding magpie swooping me...however, tempting as it may sound,
> magpies are a protected species.
> Rob

Rob, If we all pitch and raise our hands to the government, well, you
know.................

--
"Find me a mountain and I'll climb it"

Andrew Lighten
August 19th 03, 03:27 AM
Yeah, they're out early this year. I got involved with one between
Maryborough and Nattie Yallock at the weekend. Didn't actually make contact,
but he certainly made his presence felt.

"Gordo" > wrote in message
> Persistent little *^%& got me late this afternoon riding home from
Kinglake
> to Eltham (coming to a stop at the first roundabout at the bottom of the
> hill into Research - it would have been fun if he'd got me 200 metres
> earlier at about 75km/h). Quite a surprise and I'm sure very funny for the
> Nissan Patrol that was oh so patiently sitting on my arse at the time.
Got

"Gordo" > wrote in message
> Persistent little *^%& got me late this afternoon riding home from
Kinglake
> to Eltham (coming to a stop at the first roundabout at the bottom of the
> hill into Research - it would have been fun if he'd got me 200 metres
> earlier at about 75km/h). Quite a surprise and I'm sure very funny for the
> Nissan Patrol that was oh so patiently sitting on my arse at the time.
Got
> three good whacks on my helmet and drew blood from my ear on his last go..
>
> I've never been nuked this early, but then again I only moved to this area
8
> months ago, is it unusual to get them in early August? Should I break out
> the suit of armour already? From the sounds of the millions of the
*******s
> who wake me up every morning I'm sure riding in the Yarra Valley is an
> interesting pasttime in spring..
>
> There's usually heaps of people riding the same road on the weekend, I
> wonder if he got them all, or just saved his vitriol up for me (it was
> nearly dusk as I got home).
>
> I really really hate magpies.

Lindsay Rowlands
August 19th 03, 05:35 AM
I was wondering if anybody had any luck with a water pistol as a
deterrent. It seems as though it may be a reasonable solution.

At the moment I'm getting swooped a couple of times
during a 20k loop and would prefer to just zone out rather
than being vigilant for the swoopers. Is it too much to ask?

Cheerz,
Lynzz

Lindsay Rowlands
August 19th 03, 05:35 AM
I was wondering if anybody had any luck with a water pistol as a
deterrent. It seems as though it may be a reasonable solution.

At the moment I'm getting swooped a couple of times
during a 20k loop and would prefer to just zone out rather
than being vigilant for the swoopers. Is it too much to ask?

Cheerz,
Lynzz

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home