PDA

View Full Version : Re: spare 30 K ?

John Staines
August 11th 03, 02:40 AM
30k is more than alittle steep....I guess it's only worth what someone
is prepared to pay for it....I think they might be waiting alittle while
before they get anything like that for it.

cheers

John

rickster wrote:

> If you've got a spare $ 30,000, you can pick up Stuart O'Gradys 1997
> Tdf bike, from Trak cycles in Southland. It's a Merckx, running an 8
> speeds Sachs group set on what looks like very early Csomic Carbones.
> It is definately used.
>
> It has great novelty value, but 30,000 ?

SM
August 11th 03, 02:47 AM
Did I miss somewhere that SO won the TdF 9 times, all the classics and also
an NBA championship? I am a SO fan... but $30k! You have to be kiddin!

"John Staines" > wrote in message
> 30k is more than alittle steep....I guess it's only worth what someone
> is prepared to pay for it....I think they might be waiting alittle while
> before they get anything like that for it.
>
> cheers
>
> John
>

> rickster wrote:
> >
> > If you've got a spare $ 30,000, you can pick up Stuart O'Gradys 1997
> > Tdf bike, from Trak cycles in Southland. It's a Merckx, running an 8
> > speeds Sachs group set on what looks like very early Csomic Carbones.
> > It is definately used.
> >
> > It has great novelty value, but 30,000 ?

SM
August 11th 03, 02:47 AM
Did I miss somewhere that SO won the TdF 9 times, all the classics and also
an NBA championship? I am a SO fan... but $30k! You have to be kiddin!

"John Staines" > wrote in message
> 30k is more than alittle steep....I guess it's only worth what someone
> is prepared to pay for it....I think they might be waiting alittle while
> before they get anything like that for it.
>
> cheers
>
> John
>

> rickster wrote:
> >
> > If you've got a spare $ 30,000, you can pick up Stuart O'Gradys 1997
> > Tdf bike, from Trak cycles in Southland. It's a Merckx, running an 8
> > speeds Sachs group set on what looks like very early Csomic Carbones.
> > It is definately used.
> >
> > It has great novelty value, but 30,000 ?

RideToEat
August 11th 03, 08:53 AM
Maybe you could haggle them down to $29500?

RideToEat
August 11th 03, 08:53 AM
Maybe you could haggle them down to $29500?

Richard Sherratt
August 11th 03, 09:18 AM
On 10 Aug 2003 18:25:27 -0700, (rickster) wrote:

>If you've got a spare $ 30,000, you can pick up Stuart O'Gradys 1997
>Tdf bike, from Trak cycles in Southland. It's a Merckx, running an 8
>speeds Sachs group set on what looks like very early Csomic Carbones.
>It is definately used.
>
>It has great novelty value, but 30,000 ?

Bit steep.

One of the guys I ride round with has a Trek 5500 that cost him less
than $3,000. It's a genuine team model with the Shimano team issue
(big, fat logos) Dura-Ace groupset. About 2001 model. Issued to one of
the Australian US Postal team members.

You mentioned that 'It is definitely used'. I tried out one of those a
couple of years ago. A Scapin Pro-Team belonging to a former world
champ. He'd done about 25,000km to 35,000km in the year since he'd got
it. The Dura-Ace bottom bracket was stuffed. It was like the bearing
was filled with pebbles.

Macca was selling his Linda McCartney team Pinarello? a couple of
years ago for about $5,000. This could be described as "almost brand
new".

Some of these are bargains.

Depends on what you want the bike for. If you want to ride it, you can
get some great bikes for very low prices. If you want to buy a
collectible, that's up to you :-)

Regards,
Richard.

Richard Sherratt
August 11th 03, 09:18 AM
On 10 Aug 2003 18:25:27 -0700, (rickster) wrote:

>If you've got a spare $ 30,000, you can pick up Stuart O'Gradys 1997
>Tdf bike, from Trak cycles in Southland. It's a Merckx, running an 8
>speeds Sachs group set on what looks like very early Csomic Carbones.
>It is definately used.
>
>It has great novelty value, but 30,000 ?

Bit steep.

One of the guys I ride round with has a Trek 5500 that cost him less
than $3,000. It's a genuine team model with the Shimano team issue
(big, fat logos) Dura-Ace groupset. About 2001 model. Issued to one of
the Australian US Postal team members.

You mentioned that 'It is definitely used'. I tried out one of those a
couple of years ago. A Scapin Pro-Team belonging to a former world
champ. He'd done about 25,000km to 35,000km in the year since he'd got
it. The Dura-Ace bottom bracket was stuffed. It was like the bearing
was filled with pebbles.

Macca was selling his Linda McCartney team Pinarello? a couple of
years ago for about $5,000. This could be described as "almost brand
new".

Some of these are bargains.

Depends on what you want the bike for. If you want to ride it, you can
get some great bikes for very low prices. If you want to buy a
collectible, that's up to you :-)

Regards,
Richard.

Andrew Morris
August 11th 03, 02:04 PM
Maybe the 30k is on it, so that no-one WILL buy it... might scare the hell
out of them if someone DID offer 30k!!!

"rickster" > wrote in message
om...
> If you've got a spare $ 30,000, you can pick up Stuart O'Gradys 1997
> Tdf bike, from Trak cycles in Southland. It's a Merckx, running an 8
> speeds Sachs group set on what looks like very early Csomic Carbones.
> It is definately used.
>
> It has great novelty value, but 30,000 ?

Andrew Morris
August 11th 03, 02:04 PM
Maybe the 30k is on it, so that no-one WILL buy it... might scare the hell
out of them if someone DID offer 30k!!!

"rickster" > wrote in message
om...
> If you've got a spare $ 30,000, you can pick up Stuart O'Gradys 1997
> Tdf bike, from Trak cycles in Southland. It's a Merckx, running an 8
> speeds Sachs group set on what looks like very early Csomic Carbones.
> It is definately used.
>
> It has great novelty value, but 30,000 ?

Luther Blissett
August 11th 03, 10:13 PM
rickster wrote:
> If you've got a spare $ 30,000, you can pick up Stuart O'Gradys 1997
> Tdf bike, from Trak cycles in Southland. It's a Merckx, running an 8
> speeds Sachs group set on what looks like very early Csomic Carbones.
> It is definately used.
>
> It has great novelty value, but 30,000 ?

Assuming SO'G got the bike as part of his job, would he have to pay
nearly $15k capital gains tax or FBT on a $30k sale?

Cheers
LB

Luther Blissett
August 11th 03, 10:13 PM
rickster wrote:
> If you've got a spare $ 30,000, you can pick up Stuart O'Gradys 1997
> Tdf bike, from Trak cycles in Southland. It's a Merckx, running an 8
> speeds Sachs group set on what looks like very early Csomic Carbones.
> It is definately used.
>
> It has great novelty value, but 30,000 ?

Assuming SO'G got the bike as part of his job, would he have to pay
nearly $15k capital gains tax or FBT on a $30k sale?

Cheers
LB

Tim Jones
August 16th 03, 11:47 AM
"Andrew Morris" > wrote in message
> Maybe the 30k is on it, so that no-one WILL buy it... might scare the
hell
> out of them if someone DID offer 30k!!!

Yeah, probably there in the store for curio value. Has the $30K sticker on
it in case it gets stolen...

Tim Jones
August 16th 03, 11:47 AM
"Andrew Morris" > wrote in message
> Maybe the 30k is on it, so that no-one WILL buy it... might scare the
hell
> out of them if someone DID offer 30k!!!

Yeah, probably there in the store for curio value. Has the $30K sticker on
it in case it gets stolen...

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home