PDA

View Full Version : Can't find pannier bag for large notebook! Please help.

Brian Hay
August 13th 03, 08:25 AM
I'm new to commuting via bicycle. My work is 30-40mins away by bike
but I need to transport a large notebook (and other gear) regularly.

The notebook alone is 36cm x 4cm x 27cm (W x H x D) and the existing
Targus notebook case is 46cm x 17cm x 38cm (approx). Weight is under
7-10kg.

I've looked at many online pannier manufacturers (Ortlieb,
Bushwhacker, Arkel etc). The specialty "office" or "briefcase"
panniers with notebook inserts are too small for my oversized notebook
and the other standard panniers are mostly too small or not
solid/padded enough for a notebook.

Ideally I'd want a jumbo pannier to stuff the entire Targus bag into
or a way to securely (and quickly) strap the Targus to the top of the
rack. Regardless, I'll probably need a second standard pannier for
clothes etc.

Does anyone have any ideas or direct experience with this?

Will a modern notebook survive repeated bicycle transit if well
cushioned?

I'm really enjoying riding so I don't want to go back to car or public
transport if I don't have to.

Regards,
Brian Hay.

Jack Russell
August 13th 03, 09:07 AM
Try to get hold of a copy of a British Magazine (i.e.) the CTX
magazine). I have seen notebook carriers advertised and reviewed in them.

Brian Hay wrote:

>I'm new to commuting via bicycle. My work is 30-40mins away by bike
>but I need to transport a large notebook (and other gear) regularly.
>
>The notebook alone is 36cm x 4cm x 27cm (W x H x D) and the existing
>Targus notebook case is 46cm x 17cm x 38cm (approx). Weight is under
>7-10kg.
>
>I've looked at many online pannier manufacturers (Ortlieb,
>Bushwhacker, Arkel etc). The specialty "office" or "briefcase"
>panniers with notebook inserts are too small for my oversized notebook
>and the other standard panniers are mostly too small or not
>solid/padded enough for a notebook.
>
>Ideally I'd want a jumbo pannier to stuff the entire Targus bag into
>or a way to securely (and quickly) strap the Targus to the top of the
>rack. Regardless, I'll probably need a second standard pannier for
>clothes etc.
>
>Does anyone have any ideas or direct experience with this?
>
>Will a modern notebook survive repeated bicycle transit if well
>cushioned?
>
>I'm really enjoying riding so I don't want to go back to car or public
>transport if I don't have to.
>
>Regards,
>Brian Hay.

Nick Payne
August 13th 03, 09:09 AM
Try a large Carradice saddlebag. I've been carrying notebooks to and from
work each day for about three years with no problems, though my notebooks
are rather smaller and lighter.

Nick

Nick Payne
August 13th 03, 09:09 AM
Try a large Carradice saddlebag. I've been carrying notebooks to and from
work each day for about three years with no problems, though my notebooks
are rather smaller and lighter.

Nick

kingsley
August 15th 03, 06:45 AM
On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 17:25:12 +1000, Brian Hay wrote:

> Does anyone have any ideas or direct experience with this?
>
> Will a modern notebook survive repeated bicycle transit if well
> cushioned?

I stuff my clunky old Dell inspiron 7000 (quite big & heavy
by modern standards) into a Crumpler messenger bag. I think this
model is the 'Wonder Weenie' not their special laptop bag.

Seems ok so far.
Only been using it for about 8 weeks.

-kt

kingsley
August 15th 03, 06:45 AM
On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 17:25:12 +1000, Brian Hay wrote:

> Does anyone have any ideas or direct experience with this?
>
> Will a modern notebook survive repeated bicycle transit if well
> cushioned?

I stuff my clunky old Dell inspiron 7000 (quite big & heavy
by modern standards) into a Crumpler messenger bag. I think this
model is the 'Wonder Weenie' not their special laptop bag.

Seems ok so far.
Only been using it for about 8 weeks.

-kt

Andrew Swan
August 15th 03, 12:03 PM
kingsley wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 17:25:12 +1000, Brian Hay wrote:
>

>>Does anyone have any ideas or direct experience with this?
>>
>>Will a modern notebook survive repeated bicycle transit if well
>>cushioned?
>

> I stuff my clunky old Dell inspiron 7000 (quite big & heavy
> by modern standards) into a Crumpler messenger bag. I think this
> model is the 'Wonder Weenie' not their special laptop bag.
>
> Seems ok so far.
> Only been using it for about 8 weeks.
>
> -kt

The Crumpler web site is hilarious (turn your speakers on):

http://www.crumpler.com.au/public/home.ehtml

&roo

Andrew Swan
August 15th 03, 12:03 PM
kingsley wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 17:25:12 +1000, Brian Hay wrote:
>

>>Does anyone have any ideas or direct experience with this?
>>
>>Will a modern notebook survive repeated bicycle transit if well
>>cushioned?
>

> I stuff my clunky old Dell inspiron 7000 (quite big & heavy
> by modern standards) into a Crumpler messenger bag. I think this
> model is the 'Wonder Weenie' not their special laptop bag.
>
> Seems ok so far.
> Only been using it for about 8 weeks.
>
> -kt

The Crumpler web site is hilarious (turn your speakers on):

http://www.crumpler.com.au/public/home.ehtml

&roo

Tim Jones
August 16th 03, 10:47 AM
"Brian Hay" > wrote in message
> I'm new to commuting via bicycle. My work is 30-40mins away by bike
> but I need to transport a large notebook (and other gear) regularly.
>
> The notebook alone is 36cm x 4cm x 27cm (W x H x D) and the existing
> Targus notebook case is 46cm x 17cm x 38cm (approx). Weight is under
> 7-10kg.
>
> I've looked at many online pannier manufacturers (Ortlieb,
> Bushwhacker, Arkel etc). The specialty "office" or "briefcase"
> panniers with notebook inserts are too small for my oversized notebook
> and the other standard panniers are mostly too small or not
> solid/padded enough for a notebook.
>
> Ideally I'd want a jumbo pannier to stuff the entire Targus bag into
> or a way to securely (and quickly) strap the Targus to the top of the
> rack. Regardless, I'll probably need a second standard pannier for
> clothes etc.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas or direct experience with this?
>
> Will a modern notebook survive repeated bicycle transit if well
> cushioned?
>
> I'm really enjoying riding so I don't want to go back to car or public
> transport if I don't have to.

Hi Brian,

Just thought I would share my thoughts...

I have been carrying laptops for years adhoc home on my bike, only in a
standard backpack, or more recently slinging a toshiba leather carry bag
over my shoulders. Never had a problem with the laptop (although my palm
IIIx died after jogging to work with it in my bum bag).

As far as suits etc go, I have always kept stuff at work and dry cleaned
there as required. Saves on having to bring stuff in from home.

I would think that the computer will be under a fair bit more stress on a
pannier than strapped to the back however...

Tim

Tim Jones
August 16th 03, 10:47 AM
"Brian Hay" > wrote in message
> I'm new to commuting via bicycle. My work is 30-40mins away by bike
> but I need to transport a large notebook (and other gear) regularly.
>
> The notebook alone is 36cm x 4cm x 27cm (W x H x D) and the existing
> Targus notebook case is 46cm x 17cm x 38cm (approx). Weight is under
> 7-10kg.
>
> I've looked at many online pannier manufacturers (Ortlieb,
> Bushwhacker, Arkel etc). The specialty "office" or "briefcase"
> panniers with notebook inserts are too small for my oversized notebook
> and the other standard panniers are mostly too small or not
> solid/padded enough for a notebook.
>
> Ideally I'd want a jumbo pannier to stuff the entire Targus bag into
> or a way to securely (and quickly) strap the Targus to the top of the
> rack. Regardless, I'll probably need a second standard pannier for
> clothes etc.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas or direct experience with this?
>
> Will a modern notebook survive repeated bicycle transit if well
> cushioned?
>
> I'm really enjoying riding so I don't want to go back to car or public
> transport if I don't have to.

Hi Brian,

Just thought I would share my thoughts...

I have been carrying laptops for years adhoc home on my bike, only in a
standard backpack, or more recently slinging a toshiba leather carry bag
over my shoulders. Never had a problem with the laptop (although my palm
IIIx died after jogging to work with it in my bum bag).

As far as suits etc go, I have always kept stuff at work and dry cleaned
there as required. Saves on having to bring stuff in from home.

I would think that the computer will be under a fair bit more stress on a
pannier than strapped to the back however...

Tim

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home