PDA

View Full Version : Melb police on bikes!

Earhole Gringo [not his real name]
August 18th 03, 08:35 PM
Just started a new job, doing many deliveries (in a car) starting
early evening. Surprised at the number of police on bicycles -- I
can tell their police because they wear dark blue clothing, have
a flashing blue light on front, and flashing red on back.

As much as I like cycling, I wish cyclists would spend some time
driving in a car -- then they would realise how hard they are to
see -- and when they behave oddly, zigzagging across roads and
going through red lights, would understand why car drivers get
upset.

hippy
August 18th 03, 11:15 PM
"Earhole Gringo [not his real name]" > wrote in
message ...
> As much as I like cycling, I wish cyclists would spend some time
> driving in a car -- then they would realise how hard they are to
> see -- and when they behave oddly, zigzagging across roads and
> going through red lights, would understand why car drivers get
> upset.

Didn't you know? Drivers are attracted to flashing lights like
moths to a flame - all black clothing and no lights is cycling
camo! ;-)

pre-caffeine hippy

hippy
August 18th 03, 11:15 PM
"Earhole Gringo [not his real name]" > wrote in
message ...
> As much as I like cycling, I wish cyclists would spend some time
> driving in a car -- then they would realise how hard they are to
> see -- and when they behave oddly, zigzagging across roads and
> going through red lights, would understand why car drivers get
> upset.

Didn't you know? Drivers are attracted to flashing lights like
moths to a flame - all black clothing and no lights is cycling
camo! ;-)

pre-caffeine hippy

NickZX6R
August 18th 03, 11:59 PM
Earhole Gringo [not his real name] > wrote:
> Just started a new job, doing many deliveries (in a car) starting
> early evening. Surprised at the number of police on bicycles -- I
> can tell their police because they wear dark blue clothing, have
> a flashing blue light on front, and flashing red on back.

> As much as I like cycling, I wish cyclists would spend some time
> driving in a car -- then they would realise how hard they are to
> see -- and when they behave oddly, zigzagging across roads and
> going through red lights, would understand why car drivers get
> upset.

*sigh*
Trolls aren't what they used to be.

--
Nick

NickZX6R
August 18th 03, 11:59 PM
Earhole Gringo [not his real name] > wrote:
> Just started a new job, doing many deliveries (in a car) starting
> early evening. Surprised at the number of police on bicycles -- I
> can tell their police because they wear dark blue clothing, have
> a flashing blue light on front, and flashing red on back.

> As much as I like cycling, I wish cyclists would spend some time
> driving in a car -- then they would realise how hard they are to
> see -- and when they behave oddly, zigzagging across roads and
> going through red lights, would understand why car drivers get
> upset.

*sigh*
Trolls aren't what they used to be.

--
Nick

Andy G
August 19th 03, 03:45 AM
i dont live in a city and dont drive there much but my observations as a
cyclis and a driver are

that as a cyclist you have a great deal more awareness or your surroundings
thn a car driver
you have a great deal more control over your vehicle than a car driver
that drivers mostly are polite that idiots are few but Do exist.

as a driver i have been frightened by the antics of riders.
but at the same time i realised that they themselves were safe.
they knew what was happening, it just looked bad from the car.

my conclusion is that the perceptions of somone driving are rigid and bound
by the vehicle that is driven.
when i was on motorbikes, i followed cars far more closely than i ever would
in a car becase i could see every nch of the road.
i still thought i was safe.

a car naturally travels in a smooth path, a bike is different.
and therefore it 'line ' is harder to pick.

as for visibility, i beleive firmly in light , bright clothing.
and rear facing reflectors on clothes, helmets everywhere so that they can
see you.
bike lights for the main part are a waste of time to the cyclist.

a bike is a different vehicle type altogether
i dont condone breaking road rules but at slow speeds, a bike becomes like a
pedestrian.
I pesonally would get off and walk over red traffic lights but in racing
cleats this becomes dangerous.

"Earhole Gringo [not his real name]" > wrote in message
> Just started a new job, doing many deliveries (in a car) starting
> early evening. Surprised at the number of police on bicycles -- I
> can tell their police because they wear dark blue clothing, have
> a flashing blue light on front, and flashing red on back.
>
> As much as I like cycling, I wish cyclists would spend some time
> driving in a car -- then they would realise how hard they are to
> see -- and when they behave oddly, zigzagging across roads and
> going through red lights, would understand why car drivers get
> upset.

Andy G
August 19th 03, 03:45 AM
i dont live in a city and dont drive there much but my observations as a
cyclis and a driver are

that as a cyclist you have a great deal more awareness or your surroundings
thn a car driver
you have a great deal more control over your vehicle than a car driver
that drivers mostly are polite that idiots are few but Do exist.

as a driver i have been frightened by the antics of riders.
but at the same time i realised that they themselves were safe.
they knew what was happening, it just looked bad from the car.

my conclusion is that the perceptions of somone driving are rigid and bound
by the vehicle that is driven.
when i was on motorbikes, i followed cars far more closely than i ever would
in a car becase i could see every nch of the road.
i still thought i was safe.

a car naturally travels in a smooth path, a bike is different.
and therefore it 'line ' is harder to pick.

as for visibility, i beleive firmly in light , bright clothing.
and rear facing reflectors on clothes, helmets everywhere so that they can
see you.
bike lights for the main part are a waste of time to the cyclist.

a bike is a different vehicle type altogether
i dont condone breaking road rules but at slow speeds, a bike becomes like a
pedestrian.
I pesonally would get off and walk over red traffic lights but in racing
cleats this becomes dangerous.

"Earhole Gringo [not his real name]" > wrote in message
> Just started a new job, doing many deliveries (in a car) starting
> early evening. Surprised at the number of police on bicycles -- I
> can tell their police because they wear dark blue clothing, have
> a flashing blue light on front, and flashing red on back.
>
> As much as I like cycling, I wish cyclists would spend some time
> driving in a car -- then they would realise how hard they are to
> see -- and when they behave oddly, zigzagging across roads and
> going through red lights, would understand why car drivers get
> upset.

tony f
August 19th 03, 04:46 AM
On 18 Aug 2003 19:35:27 GMT, (Earhole Gringo [not
his real name]) wrote:

>As much as I like cycling, I wish cyclists would spend some time
>driving in a car -- then they would realise how hard they are to
>see --

Not especially, provided you're looking... Are pedestrians hard to
see? Parents pusing prams? Motorcycles?

Alll are about the same size or smaller than a treadly, but should be
easily visible to anybody that can pass the licence eyesight test.

Unexpected? Perhaps, but if you're a good driver, you should still be
aware and ready for the unexpected. (not flaming, just making a
general statement)

>and when they behave oddly, zigzagging across roads and
>going through red lights, would understand why car drivers get
>upset.

Zigzagging across roads? Or just crossing diagonally? Sometimes it's
the only way, when other vehicles refuse to leave a space. Gap one
side, gap coming the other side, a bit of diagonal work and you're
home safe.

Red light runners are always upsetting - whether you're on a bike or
in a car.

tony f
www.thefathippy.com

his real name]) wrote:

>As much as I like cycling, I wish cyclists would spend some time
>driving in a car -- then they would realise how hard they are to
>see --

Not especially, provided you're looking... Are pedestrians hard to
see? Parents pusing prams? Motorcycles?

Alll are about the same size or smaller than a treadly, but should be
easily visible to anybody that can pass the licence eyesight test.

Unexpected? Perhaps, but if you're a good driver, you should still be
aware and ready for the unexpected. (not flaming, just making a
general statement)

>and when they behave oddly, zigzagging across roads and
>going through red lights, would understand why car drivers get
>upset.

Zigzagging across roads? Or just crossing diagonally? Sometimes it's
the only way, when other vehicles refuse to leave a space. Gap one
side, gap coming the other side, a bit of diagonal work and you're
home safe.

Red light runners are always upsetting - whether you're on a bike or
in a car.

tony f
www.thefathippy.com

22rev
August 19th 03, 01:53 PM
Earhole Gringo wrote:
> Just started a new job, doing many deliveries (in a car) starting early
> evening. Surprised at the number of police on bicycles -- I can tell
> their police because they wear dark blue clothing, have a flashing blue
> light on front, and flashing red on back.
> As much as I like cycling, I wish cyclists would spend some time driving
> in a car -- then they would realise how hard they are to see -- and when
> they behave oddly, zigzagging across roads and going through red lights,
> would understand why car drivers get upset.

Now that explains why on my recent bunch ride (75kms) that on 5 separate
ocassions cars approached the bunch blasting the horn and yelling abuse
out the window. Yep, those "P'" platers love to poke their ugly square
heads oiut those windows. I guess all these kind folk were just
celebrating the high degree of visibility of the bunch! Derhhh!

I reckon the 4WD who accelerated hard toward a couple of riders blasting
the horn was just trying to get close enough to confirm that yes they
really are cyclists. You gotta pull your head outta yer $%&* and have a
look at the number of cars without 2 functioning headlights, and the
number that run the red lights. If you spend some time in inner city
Melb you will see up to half a dozen run the red at a time!

Kevin

22rev
August 19th 03, 01:53 PM
Earhole Gringo wrote:
> Just started a new job, doing many deliveries (in a car) starting early
> evening. Surprised at the number of police on bicycles -- I can tell
> their police because they wear dark blue clothing, have a flashing blue
> light on front, and flashing red on back.
> As much as I like cycling, I wish cyclists would spend some time driving
> in a car -- then they would realise how hard they are to see -- and when
> they behave oddly, zigzagging across roads and going through red lights,
> would understand why car drivers get upset.

Now that explains why on my recent bunch ride (75kms) that on 5 separate
ocassions cars approached the bunch blasting the horn and yelling abuse
out the window. Yep, those "P'" platers love to poke their ugly square
heads oiut those windows. I guess all these kind folk were just
celebrating the high degree of visibility of the bunch! Derhhh!

I reckon the 4WD who accelerated hard toward a couple of riders blasting
the horn was just trying to get close enough to confirm that yes they
really are cyclists. You gotta pull your head outta yer $%&* and have a
look at the number of cars without 2 functioning headlights, and the
number that run the red lights. If you spend some time in inner city
Melb you will see up to half a dozen run the red at a time!

Kevin

Gary K
August 21st 03, 02:48 AM
Dear troll,

99% of cyclists I know are car drivers.

Earhole Gringo [not his real name] > wrote:

> Just started a new job, doing many deliveries (in a car) starting
> early evening. Surprised at the number of police on bicycles -- I
> can tell their police because they wear dark blue clothing, have
> a flashing blue light on front, and flashing red on back.
>
> As much as I like cycling, I wish cyclists would spend some time
> driving in a car -- then they would realise how hard they are to
> see -- and when they behave oddly, zigzagging across roads and
> going through red lights, would understand why car drivers get
> upset.

Gary K
August 21st 03, 02:48 AM
Dear troll,

99% of cyclists I know are car drivers.

Earhole Gringo [not his real name] > wrote:

> Just started a new job, doing many deliveries (in a car) starting
> early evening. Surprised at the number of police on bicycles -- I
> can tell their police because they wear dark blue clothing, have
> a flashing blue light on front, and flashing red on back.
>
> As much as I like cycling, I wish cyclists would spend some time
> driving in a car -- then they would realise how hard they are to
> see -- and when they behave oddly, zigzagging across roads and
> going through red lights, would understand why car drivers get
> upset.

cfsmtb
August 21st 03, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by Gary K Dear troll,

99% of cyclists I know are car drivers.

True.

Matter of fact, I can only think of one other individual in my age group
who is a committed cyclist & DOESN'T have a car, besides myself. And we
probably are both complete freaks. :p But I do have older siblings who
are petrol heads, makes up for the stats:mad:

--
it's all a creeping beige conspiracy

cfsmtb
August 21st 03, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by Gary K Dear troll,

99% of cyclists I know are car drivers.

True.

Matter of fact, I can only think of one other individual in my age group
who is a committed cyclist & DOESN'T have a car, besides myself. And we
probably are both complete freaks. :p But I do have older siblings who
are petrol heads, makes up for the stats:mad:

--
it's all a creeping beige conspiracy

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home