PDA

View Full Version : Hand signals

Arpit
August 19th 03, 02:31 PM
I can't do hand signals. I just cant balance that well, or bring
myslef to be waving my hands. I want to mount some indicator lights on
my bike, any ideas about how to trigger them?

Lindsay Rowlands
August 19th 03, 04:34 PM
Arpit > wrote:
: I can't do hand signals. I just cant balance that well, or bring
: myslef to be waving my hands. I want to mount some indicator lights on
: my bike, any ideas about how to trigger them?

I hesitate to be facetious, but it would be far easier to ride more
to develop confidence and skill in a safe situation such as an
empty car park, than it would be to fit blinkers. Remember, the
only thing stopping you from making a hand signal is 90% fear
and 10% skill.

Try this: walk beside your bike while pushing it, hold on to the
rear of the seat, let go of the handlebars. Notice how the bike
has an inherent stability while moving.

Hope this helps, cheerz,
Lynzz

Lindsay Rowlands
August 19th 03, 04:34 PM
Arpit > wrote:
: I can't do hand signals. I just cant balance that well, or bring
: myslef to be waving my hands. I want to mount some indicator lights on
: my bike, any ideas about how to trigger them?

I hesitate to be facetious, but it would be far easier to ride more
to develop confidence and skill in a safe situation such as an
empty car park, than it would be to fit blinkers. Remember, the
only thing stopping you from making a hand signal is 90% fear
and 10% skill.

Try this: walk beside your bike while pushing it, hold on to the
rear of the seat, let go of the handlebars. Notice how the bike
has an inherent stability while moving.

Hope this helps, cheerz,
Lynzz

Jack Russell
August 19th 03, 10:31 PM
You can buy them in the UK, triggered by pressing the thumb and one finger.

Arpit wrote:

>I can't do hand signals. I just cant balance that well, or bring
>myslef to be waving my hands. I want to mount some indicator lights on
>my bike, any ideas about how to trigger them?

Megan Webb
August 19th 03, 10:50 PM
Notice what the motor vehicle drivers do and forget about using
signals. Signals are 'nice' but not essential or necessary and in same
cases down right dangerous.

What is essential is to improve your balance, so that if you want to
be 'nice' you can signal. Balance needs practice. So find a safe open
space and start practicing. Try riding very slowly - as slow as you
can. Try riding one handed again as slow as you can. I found that
about 15 minutes at a time was enough - after that you get too tired.

Megan

Arpit > wrote in message >...
> I can't do hand signals. I just cant balance that well, or bring
> myslef to be waving my hands. I want to mount some indicator lights on
> my bike, any ideas about how to trigger them?

hippy
August 20th 03, 12:25 AM
"Megan Webb" > wrote in message
om...
> What is essential is to improve your balance, so that if you want to
> be 'nice' you can signal. Balance needs practice. So find a safe open
> space and start practicing. Try riding very slowly - as slow as you
> can. Try riding one handed again as slow as you can. I found that
> about 15 minutes at a time was enough - after that you get too tired.

I'll just add that, riding on grass might help remove some of the fear
of falling off. It is also a little trickier to balance on uneven grass
so
may speed up your one-armed skills.
hippy

hippy
August 20th 03, 12:25 AM
"Megan Webb" > wrote in message
om...
> What is essential is to improve your balance, so that if you want to
> be 'nice' you can signal. Balance needs practice. So find a safe open
> space and start practicing. Try riding very slowly - as slow as you
> can. Try riding one handed again as slow as you can. I found that
> about 15 minutes at a time was enough - after that you get too tired.

I'll just add that, riding on grass might help remove some of the fear
of falling off. It is also a little trickier to balance on uneven grass
so
may speed up your one-armed skills.
hippy

Dave@fnq
August 20th 03, 02:59 AM
wrote:

> >I can't do hand signals. I just cant balance that well, or bring
> >myslef to be waving my hands. I want to mount some indicator lights on
> >my bike, any ideas about how to trigger them?
>
> I'm not sure if they'd be legal, and motorists aren't in the habit of
looking for them.

> AndreS.au ===> I ride therefore I am

Have to agree with this, I think most drivers wont beware of the indicators.
Try changing to longer handlebars, you will have more control of your bike
compared to narrow bars.

Dave

Dave@fnq
August 20th 03, 02:59 AM
wrote:

> >I can't do hand signals. I just cant balance that well, or bring
> >myslef to be waving my hands. I want to mount some indicator lights on
> >my bike, any ideas about how to trigger them?
>
> I'm not sure if they'd be legal, and motorists aren't in the habit of
looking for them.

> AndreS.au ===> I ride therefore I am

Have to agree with this, I think most drivers wont beware of the indicators.
Try changing to longer handlebars, you will have more control of your bike
compared to narrow bars.

Dave

hippy
August 20th 03, 03:13 AM
"Dave@fnq" > wrote in message
> Try changing to longer handlebars, you will have more control of your
bike
> compared to narrow bars.

But any wobbles he/she has will be magnified unless
they are holding near the stem.

hip

hippy
August 20th 03, 03:13 AM
"Dave@fnq" > wrote in message
> Try changing to longer handlebars, you will have more control of your
bike
> compared to narrow bars.

But any wobbles he/she has will be magnified unless
they are holding near the stem.

hip

Dave@fnq
August 20th 03, 04:32 AM
"hippy" > wrote in message
> "Dave@fnq" > wrote in message
> > Try changing to longer handlebars, you will have more control of your
> bike
> > compared to narrow bars.
>
> But any wobbles he/she has will be magnified unless
> they are holding near the stem.
>
> hip

In fact it is the opposite, you have to move you hands much further to get
the wheel to turn, a narrow bar is more 'twitchy'.
With a longer bar you also have more leverage, so if you hit something, it
is easier to keep the wheel going the direction yo want it to, this is why
wider bars are favoured on DH bikes.

Dave

Dave@fnq
August 20th 03, 04:32 AM
"hippy" > wrote in message
> "Dave@fnq" > wrote in message
> > Try changing to longer handlebars, you will have more control of your
> bike
> > compared to narrow bars.
>
> But any wobbles he/she has will be magnified unless
> they are holding near the stem.
>
> hip

In fact it is the opposite, you have to move you hands much further to get
the wheel to turn, a narrow bar is more 'twitchy'.
With a longer bar you also have more leverage, so if you hit something, it
is easier to keep the wheel going the direction yo want it to, this is why
wider bars are favoured on DH bikes.

Dave

Dave@fnq
August 20th 03, 05:19 AM
"hippy" > wrote in message
> "Dave@fnq" > wrote in message
> > In fact it is the opposite, you have to move you hands much further to
> get
> > the wheel to turn, a narrow bar is more 'twitchy'.
>
> But isn't it easier to move the bars, albiet not as far?
> I'm just recalling what I felt after swapping bars on
> a few bikes.. like going from 22" to 27" bars!
> It might've had more to do with the frame and
> fork than the bars though so you are probably
> right. I feel way more stable though on a road
> bike than I do a mtb. Hmm?
>
> hip

This is just from personal experience, but I find it is easier to control
larger movements of the body compared to smaller detailed movements.
This is especially true when cold or tired (easier to control raising your
arm than to pick up a key and open a door- if you follow what I mean).
With wider bars I am more confident turning tighter corners than with narrow
bars, I can control to a finer degree, and find wide bars are more
forgiving, if I turn too sharp, I have the extra leverage to straighten up.
When I go from my dually with wide bars back to the narrow bars on the HT,
it almost feels as if I'm on a tight-rope (again this might be because of
different head angle + the seat on my HT is set a lot higher).

Must be horses for courses I guess - or whatever the bike equivalent is :-)

Dave

Dave@fnq
August 20th 03, 05:19 AM
"hippy" > wrote in message
> "Dave@fnq" > wrote in message
> > In fact it is the opposite, you have to move you hands much further to
> get
> > the wheel to turn, a narrow bar is more 'twitchy'.
>
> But isn't it easier to move the bars, albiet not as far?
> I'm just recalling what I felt after swapping bars on
> a few bikes.. like going from 22" to 27" bars!
> It might've had more to do with the frame and
> fork than the bars though so you are probably
> right. I feel way more stable though on a road
> bike than I do a mtb. Hmm?
>
> hip

This is just from personal experience, but I find it is easier to control
larger movements of the body compared to smaller detailed movements.
This is especially true when cold or tired (easier to control raising your
arm than to pick up a key and open a door- if you follow what I mean).
With wider bars I am more confident turning tighter corners than with narrow
bars, I can control to a finer degree, and find wide bars are more
forgiving, if I turn too sharp, I have the extra leverage to straighten up.
When I go from my dually with wide bars back to the narrow bars on the HT,
it almost feels as if I'm on a tight-rope (again this might be because of
different head angle + the seat on my HT is set a lot higher).

Must be horses for courses I guess - or whatever the bike equivalent is :-)

Dave

Gemma Kernich
August 20th 03, 07:21 AM
"Dave@fnq" > wrote in message

> "hippy" > wrote in message
> > "Dave@fnq" > wrote in message
> > > Try changing to longer handlebars, you will have more control of your
> > bike
> > > compared to narrow bars.
> >
> > But any wobbles he/she has will be magnified unless
> > they are holding near the stem.
> >
> > hip
> >

> In fact it is the opposite, you have to move you hands much further to get
> the wheel to turn, a narrow bar is more 'twitchy'.
> With a longer bar you also have more leverage, so if you hit something, it
> is easier to keep the wheel going the direction yo want it to, this is why
> wider bars are favoured on DH bikes.

Rubbish - get someone to ride rollers for the firts time and see what's
easier, gripping wide or close - it's far easier to stay upright holding
close to the stem. We are talking trying to ride in a straight line
here....
Gemma

Gemma Kernich
August 20th 03, 07:21 AM
"Dave@fnq" > wrote in message

> "hippy" > wrote in message
> > "Dave@fnq" > wrote in message
> > > Try changing to longer handlebars, you will have more control of your
> > bike
> > > compared to narrow bars.
> >
> > But any wobbles he/she has will be magnified unless
> > they are holding near the stem.
> >
> > hip
> >

> In fact it is the opposite, you have to move you hands much further to get
> the wheel to turn, a narrow bar is more 'twitchy'.
> With a longer bar you also have more leverage, so if you hit something, it
> is easier to keep the wheel going the direction yo want it to, this is why
> wider bars are favoured on DH bikes.

Rubbish - get someone to ride rollers for the firts time and see what's
easier, gripping wide or close - it's far easier to stay upright holding
close to the stem. We are talking trying to ride in a straight line
here....
Gemma

John Staines
August 20th 03, 07:47 AM
I agree with Ms Gemma. Having just got a set of rollers myself :o)

Gemma Kernich wrote:

> "Dave@fnq" > wrote in message

> > > bike
> > >
> > > But any wobbles he/she has will be magnified unless
> > > they are holding near the stem.
> > >
> > > hip
> > >

> > In fact it is the opposite, you have to move you hands much further to get
> > the wheel to turn, a narrow bar is more 'twitchy'.
> > With a longer bar you also have more leverage, so if you hit something, it
> > is easier to keep the wheel going the direction yo want it to, this is why
> > wider bars are favoured on DH bikes.
>
> Rubbish - get someone to ride rollers for the firts time and see what's
> easier, gripping wide or close - it's far easier to stay upright holding
> close to the stem. We are talking trying to ride in a straight line
> here....
> Gemma

Andrew Swan
August 20th 03, 10:06 AM
Arpit wrote:
> I can't do hand signals. I just cant balance that well, or bring
> myslef to be waving my hands. I want to mount some indicator lights on
> my bike, any ideas about how to trigger them?

I know you asked about indicating when turning, not when stopping, but
did you know the Aust Road Rules exempt cyclists from making stop signals:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregulations/downloads/p5.pdf

This link is to the NSW RTA web site, but the rules are Aus-wide.

By the way, in response to the debate about whether narrower or wider
bars are more stable, when riding with one hand (e.g. when signalling,
which is what you asked about) you're definitely more stable with your
hand as close to the stem as possible. With your hand out wide, the
extra leverage tends to magnify any inadvertent steering movements,
whereas near the stem, this isn't a problem. Try it for yourself and see
which feels more comfortable. In reality, many of the times that you
need to signal a turn, you also need to brake, so you don't get much
choice of where your non-signalling hand goes, unless of course you have
those old-style "panic bars" that you sometimes saw on road bikes.

HTH,

&roo

Andrew Swan
August 20th 03, 10:06 AM
Arpit wrote:
> I can't do hand signals. I just cant balance that well, or bring
> myslef to be waving my hands. I want to mount some indicator lights on
> my bike, any ideas about how to trigger them?

I know you asked about indicating when turning, not when stopping, but
did you know the Aust Road Rules exempt cyclists from making stop signals:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregulations/downloads/p5.pdf

This link is to the NSW RTA web site, but the rules are Aus-wide.

By the way, in response to the debate about whether narrower or wider
bars are more stable, when riding with one hand (e.g. when signalling,
which is what you asked about) you're definitely more stable with your
hand as close to the stem as possible. With your hand out wide, the
extra leverage tends to magnify any inadvertent steering movements,
whereas near the stem, this isn't a problem. Try it for yourself and see
which feels more comfortable. In reality, many of the times that you
need to signal a turn, you also need to brake, so you don't get much
choice of where your non-signalling hand goes, unless of course you have
those old-style "panic bars" that you sometimes saw on road bikes.

HTH,

&roo

Mark Sullivan
August 20th 03, 03:14 PM
You can do all of those things but honestly, if you are going to ride on the
road, you have to feel conident enough to be able to take one hand off the
handlebars. If not, then you should probably practice on a bike track for a
little while.

"John Staines" > wrote in message
> I agree with Ms Gemma. Having just got a set of rollers myself :o)
>
> Gemma Kernich wrote:

> > > In fact it is the opposite, you have to move you hands much further to
get
> > > the wheel to turn, a narrow bar is more 'twitchy'.
> > > With a longer bar you also have more leverage, so if you hit
something, it
> > > is easier to keep the wheel going the direction yo want it to, this is
why
> > > wider bars are favoured on DH bikes.
> >
> > Rubbish - get someone to ride rollers for the firts time and see what's
> > easier, gripping wide or close - it's far easier to stay upright holding
> > close to the stem. We are talking trying to ride in a straight line
> > here....
> > Gemma

Mark Sullivan
August 20th 03, 03:14 PM
You can do all of those things but honestly, if you are going to ride on the
road, you have to feel conident enough to be able to take one hand off the
handlebars. If not, then you should probably practice on a bike track for a
little while.

"John Staines" > wrote in message
> I agree with Ms Gemma. Having just got a set of rollers myself :o)
>
> Gemma Kernich wrote:

> > > In fact it is the opposite, you have to move you hands much further to
get
> > > the wheel to turn, a narrow bar is more 'twitchy'.
> > > With a longer bar you also have more leverage, so if you hit
something, it
> > > is easier to keep the wheel going the direction yo want it to, this is
why
> > > wider bars are favoured on DH bikes.
> >
> > Rubbish - get someone to ride rollers for the firts time and see what's
> > easier, gripping wide or close - it's far easier to stay upright holding
> > close to the stem. We are talking trying to ride in a straight line
> > here....
> > Gemma

Dave@fnq
August 21st 03, 08:18 AM
> > In fact it is the opposite, you have to move you hands much further to
get
> > the wheel to turn, a narrow bar is more 'twitchy'.
> > With a longer bar you also have more leverage, so if you hit something,
it
> > is easier to keep the wheel going the direction yo want it to, this is
why
> > wider bars are favoured on DH bikes.
>
> Rubbish - get someone to ride rollers for the firts time and see what's
> easier, gripping wide or close - it's far easier to stay upright holding
> close to the stem. We are talking trying to ride in a straight line
> here....
> Gemma

But if you are using hand signals, you are usually going to turn.
I've never used rollers, but I imagine they are like riding on a perfectly
smoth surface going in a straight line.

Dave

Dave@fnq
August 21st 03, 08:18 AM
> > In fact it is the opposite, you have to move you hands much further to
get
> > the wheel to turn, a narrow bar is more 'twitchy'.
> > With a longer bar you also have more leverage, so if you hit something,
it
> > is easier to keep the wheel going the direction yo want it to, this is
why
> > wider bars are favoured on DH bikes.
>
> Rubbish - get someone to ride rollers for the firts time and see what's
> easier, gripping wide or close - it's far easier to stay upright holding
> close to the stem. We are talking trying to ride in a straight line
> here....
> Gemma

But if you are using hand signals, you are usually going to turn.
I've never used rollers, but I imagine they are like riding on a perfectly
smoth surface going in a straight line.

Dave

Andrew Swan
August 21st 03, 09:43 AM
Andre S. wrote:
> vehicles without indicators are not required to signal for roundabouts and when turning left.
> and cyclists are specifically exempted when stopping.
> ie you only have to signal when turning right - unless you get indicators!
>
> AndreS.au ===> I ride therefore I am

And that's why the back brake is on the left of the handlebars and the
front brake is on the right - because it's deemed safe to use the back
brake by itself but not the front brake. But I suspect everyone here
knew that was the thinking already (now agreeing with it is a different
thing altogether)... :-)

&roo

Andrew Swan
August 21st 03, 09:43 AM
Andre S. wrote:
> vehicles without indicators are not required to signal for roundabouts and when turning left.
> and cyclists are specifically exempted when stopping.
> ie you only have to signal when turning right - unless you get indicators!
>
> AndreS.au ===> I ride therefore I am

And that's why the back brake is on the left of the handlebars and the
front brake is on the right - because it's deemed safe to use the back
brake by itself but not the front brake. But I suspect everyone here
knew that was the thinking already (now agreeing with it is a different
thing altogether)... :-)

&roo

Gags
August 21st 03, 12:11 PM
Here's a thought for the budding handypeople amongst us........

Hows about a system attached to a backpack that is activated via a switch on
each hand and uses a couple of servos to raise an "arm" made out of plywood
or similar to the appropriate side??

The arms (one each side) could be painted in suitable reflective paint and
you could even connect up some orange LEDs for better visibility at night.

Could even make it so that if you press both buttons, both arms come out and
red LEDs come on (act as wind brakes as well as indicating a stop ;) ).

Could also have a "third arm" with middle digit raised to allow for
appropriate and safe (both hands still on bars) signalling to inconsiderate
motorists.

I coulda stumbled onto a gold mine here..........ehehehhehe

Gags
"What's the point of having an electrical engineering degree if you don't
come up with hair-brained schemes once in a while?"

"Andrew Swan" > wrote in message
> Andre S. wrote:
> > vehicles without indicators are not required to signal for roundabouts
and when turning left.
> > and cyclists are specifically exempted when stopping.
> > ie you only have to signal when turning right - unless you get
indicators!

> > AndreS.au ===> I ride therefore I am
>
> And that's why the back brake is on the left of the handlebars and the
> front brake is on the right - because it's deemed safe to use the back
> brake by itself but not the front brake. But I suspect everyone here
> knew that was the thinking already (now agreeing with it is a different
> thing altogether)... :-)
>
> &roo

Gags
August 21st 03, 12:11 PM
Here's a thought for the budding handypeople amongst us........

Hows about a system attached to a backpack that is activated via a switch on
each hand and uses a couple of servos to raise an "arm" made out of plywood
or similar to the appropriate side??

The arms (one each side) could be painted in suitable reflective paint and
you could even connect up some orange LEDs for better visibility at night.

Could even make it so that if you press both buttons, both arms come out and
red LEDs come on (act as wind brakes as well as indicating a stop ;) ).

Could also have a "third arm" with middle digit raised to allow for
appropriate and safe (both hands still on bars) signalling to inconsiderate
motorists.

I coulda stumbled onto a gold mine here..........ehehehhehe

Gags
"What's the point of having an electrical engineering degree if you don't
come up with hair-brained schemes once in a while?"

"Andrew Swan" > wrote in message
> Andre S. wrote:
> > vehicles without indicators are not required to signal for roundabouts
and when turning left.
> > and cyclists are specifically exempted when stopping.
> > ie you only have to signal when turning right - unless you get
indicators!

> > AndreS.au ===> I ride therefore I am
>
> And that's why the back brake is on the left of the handlebars and the
> front brake is on the right - because it's deemed safe to use the back
> brake by itself but not the front brake. But I suspect everyone here
> knew that was the thinking already (now agreeing with it is a different
> thing altogether)... :-)
>
> &roo

hippy
August 21st 03, 02:39 PM
"Gags" > wrote in message news:UJ11b.273
> "What's the point of having an electrical engineering degree if you don't
> come up with hair-brained schemes once in a while?"

Ahhh another university degree put to full use... ;-)
Nice one Gags! :-D

Rather than the middle finger function, can I have one
that does the, um.. male, self-pleasuring gesture?
What's it called again..?? ;-)

hip
"you need to lay off the cough syrup man, seriously!"

hippy
August 21st 03, 02:39 PM
"Gags" > wrote in message news:UJ11b.273
> "What's the point of having an electrical engineering degree if you don't
> come up with hair-brained schemes once in a while?"

Ahhh another university degree put to full use... ;-)
Nice one Gags! :-D

Rather than the middle finger function, can I have one
that does the, um.. male, self-pleasuring gesture?
What's it called again..?? ;-)

hip
"you need to lay off the cough syrup man, seriously!"

Gemma Kernich
August 22nd 03, 02:18 AM
The Goodies had an old jalopy car in one of their episodes, with the exact
description you describe, "turning left, turning right, turning nasty!"
:)
Gemma

"Gags" > wrote in message
> Here's a thought for the budding handypeople amongst us........
>
> Hows about a system attached to a backpack that is activated via a switch
on
> each hand and uses a couple of servos to raise an "arm" made out of
plywood
> or similar to the appropriate side??
>
> The arms (one each side) could be painted in suitable reflective paint and
> you could even connect up some orange LEDs for better visibility at night.
>
> Could even make it so that if you press both buttons, both arms come out
and
> red LEDs come on (act as wind brakes as well as indicating a stop ;) ).
>
> Could also have a "third arm" with middle digit raised to allow for
> appropriate and safe (both hands still on bars) signalling to
inconsiderate
> motorists.
>
> I coulda stumbled onto a gold mine here..........ehehehhehe
>
> Gags
> "What's the point of having an electrical engineering degree if you don't
> come up with hair-brained schemes once in a while?"
>
> "Andrew Swan" > wrote in message
> > Andre S. wrote:
> > > vehicles without indicators are not required to signal for roundabouts
> and when turning left.
> > > and cyclists are specifically exempted when stopping.
> > > ie you only have to signal when turning right - unless you get
> indicators!
> > >
> > > AndreS.au ===> I ride therefore I am
> >
> > And that's why the back brake is on the left of the handlebars and the
> > front brake is on the right - because it's deemed safe to use the back
> > brake by itself but not the front brake. But I suspect everyone here
> > knew that was the thinking already (now agreeing with it is a different
> > thing altogether)... :-)
> >
> > &roo

Shabby
August 22nd 03, 07:42 AM
Dave@Fnq wrote:
> I've never used rollers, but I imagine they are like riding on a
> perfectly smoth surface going in a straight line.

Ha ha! More like the cycling equivalent of running on ice.

As for the debate on whether to grab wider on the handlebars, it's
irrelevant where you grab the bars, it's how smooth you are that
matters. The bike goes side to side based on the angle compared to the
horizontal angle that your frame is on, steering just corrects that.
Hence, if you keep the frame vertical you'll stay on course. If you're
down on the drops, you're in a less stable position, and hence the bike
can start zig-zagging if you aren't stable.

Given time, no hands are required. (My favorite rollers session now
involves no hands and 10 second periods of having my eyes shut, but it's
not for anyone new to rollers).

Shabby
August 22nd 03, 07:42 AM
Dave@Fnq wrote:
> I've never used rollers, but I imagine they are like riding on a
> perfectly smoth surface going in a straight line.

Ha ha! More like the cycling equivalent of running on ice.

As for the debate on whether to grab wider on the handlebars, it's
irrelevant where you grab the bars, it's how smooth you are that
matters. The bike goes side to side based on the angle compared to the
horizontal angle that your frame is on, steering just corrects that.
Hence, if you keep the frame vertical you'll stay on course. If you're
down on the drops, you're in a less stable position, and hence the bike
can start zig-zagging if you aren't stable.

Given time, no hands are required. (My favorite rollers session now
involves no hands and 10 second periods of having my eyes shut, but it's
not for anyone new to rollers).

troyq
August 22nd 03, 07:42 AM
katem wrote:
> Hmm - so am I correct in understanding that the only hand signal we are
> required to make is a right turn signal??
> Kate.
> I know you asked about indicating when turning, not when stopping,
> but did you know the Aust Road Rules exempt cyclists from making
> stop signals:

You are correct. You can signal left if you want to... as I
sometimes do if I know there is a cyclist behind me but you are not
required to by law.

troyq
August 22nd 03, 07:42 AM
katem wrote:
> Hmm - so am I correct in understanding that the only hand signal we are
> required to make is a right turn signal??
> Kate.
> I know you asked about indicating when turning, not when stopping,
> but did you know the Aust Road Rules exempt cyclists from making
> stop signals:

You are correct. You can signal left if you want to... as I
sometimes do if I know there is a cyclist behind me but you are not
required to by law.

cfsmtb
August 22nd 03, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Gags Here's a thought for the budding handypeople
amongst us........

>Hows about a system attached to a backpack that is activated via a
>switch on each hand and uses a couple of servos to raise an "arm" made
>out of plywood or >similar to the appropriate side??

Teehee, a friend recently gave me a 70's styled bike safety device. I'll
do my best to describe it.

- 3" wide white vinyl double buckled belt.
- Switch on right side,
- Four amber "indicator" reflector arrows (two left, two right) with
very dim bulbs enclosed within.