PDA

View Full Version : Vistalite in the rain

spcjb001
August 20th 03, 04:53 AM
I have started commuting to work (day 2). Yesterday on the way home my
brand new vistalite nightstick system konked out (after about 2+ hours
riding). It was ****ing down rain, despite a beautiful morning, so I
figured I had somehow shorted the light or battery. When I dried the
battery it seemed to work, but it konked out again this morning on the
way to work. Probably my stupidity for not recharging after 2 hours use,
but I was wondering if anyone knows how useful is the vistalite night
stick system in the wet???

Any help much appreciated.

hippy
August 20th 03, 05:44 AM
"spcjb001" > wrote in message
> I have started commuting to work (day 2). Yesterday on the way home my
> brand new vistalite nightstick system konked out (after about 2+ hours
> riding). It was ****ing down rain, despite a beautiful morning, so I
> figured I had somehow shorted the light or battery. When I dried the
> battery it seemed to work, but it konked out again this morning on the
> way to work. Probably my stupidity for not recharging after 2 hours
use,
> but I was wondering if anyone knows how useful is the vistalite night
> stick system in the wet???

I've not had any trouble with mine (except a worn out socket in
a battery). I've used them wet and dry with nothing untoward
happening. I think they might just've run out of juice. I run a
2nd-hand 15w VistaLite and NiMH battery pack and get
a bit over an hour out of it.

hth
hippy

hippy
August 20th 03, 05:44 AM
"spcjb001" > wrote in message
> I have started commuting to work (day 2). Yesterday on the way home my
> brand new vistalite nightstick system konked out (after about 2+ hours
> riding). It was ****ing down rain, despite a beautiful morning, so I
> figured I had somehow shorted the light or battery. When I dried the
> battery it seemed to work, but it konked out again this morning on the
> way to work. Probably my stupidity for not recharging after 2 hours
use,
> but I was wondering if anyone knows how useful is the vistalite night
> stick system in the wet???

I've not had any trouble with mine (except a worn out socket in
a battery). I've used them wet and dry with nothing untoward
happening. I think they might just've run out of juice. I run a
2nd-hand 15w VistaLite and NiMH battery pack and get
a bit over an hour out of it.

hth
hippy

Craig
August 20th 03, 07:36 AM
"spcjb001" > wrote in message
> I have started commuting to work (day 2). Yesterday on the way home my
> brand new vistalite nightstick system konked out (after about 2+ hours
> riding). It was ****ing down rain, despite a beautiful morning, so I
> figured I had somehow shorted the light or battery. When I dried the
> battery it seemed to work, but it konked out again this morning on the
> way to work. Probably my stupidity for not recharging after 2 hours use,
> but I was wondering if anyone knows how useful is the vistalite night
> stick system in the wet???
>
> Any help much appreciated.

I used one (sigle-light, NiCad system) for 2 winters in Britain without any
problems and if they can handle British winters then they must be reasonably
reliable! I've gone back to LED-style lights now because I'm now living in
London and all the roads are lit so only need lights to be seen rather than
to light up the road. You don't need to remember to recharge the LED lights
all the time.

Craig.

Craig
August 20th 03, 07:36 AM
"spcjb001" > wrote in message
> I have started commuting to work (day 2). Yesterday on the way home my
> brand new vistalite nightstick system konked out (after about 2+ hours
> riding). It was ****ing down rain, despite a beautiful morning, so I
> figured I had somehow shorted the light or battery. When I dried the
> battery it seemed to work, but it konked out again this morning on the
> way to work. Probably my stupidity for not recharging after 2 hours use,
> but I was wondering if anyone knows how useful is the vistalite night
> stick system in the wet???
>
> Any help much appreciated.

I used one (sigle-light, NiCad system) for 2 winters in Britain without any
problems and if they can handle British winters then they must be reasonably
reliable! I've gone back to LED-style lights now because I'm now living in
London and all the roads are lit so only need lights to be seen rather than
to light up the road. You don't need to remember to recharge the LED lights
all the time.

Craig.

David Bailey
August 20th 03, 11:26 AM
Probably the switch, plug just the light into the charger socket and see if
it turns on and off.

spcjb001 > wrote in message
> I have started commuting to work (day 2). Yesterday on the way home my
> brand new vistalite nightstick system konked out (after about 2+ hours
> riding). It was ****ing down rain, despite a beautiful morning, so I
> figured I had somehow shorted the light or battery. When I dried the
> battery it seemed to work, but it konked out again this morning on the
> way to work. Probably my stupidity for not recharging after 2 hours use,
> but I was wondering if anyone knows how useful is the vistalite night
> stick system in the wet???
>
> Any help much appreciated.
>

> --

Megan Webb
August 20th 03, 10:20 PM
You didn't say what wattage lights you were running. I'm thinking
that if your running 15W then 2hours+ sounds really good..

I have never had problems with it in the rain - though I ride with the
socket in the battery facing downwards..

spcjb001 > wrote in message >...
> I have started commuting to work (day 2). Yesterday on the way home my
> brand new vistalite nightstick system konked out (after about 2+ hours
> riding). It was ****ing down rain, despite a beautiful morning, so I
> figured I had somehow shorted the light or battery. When I dried the
> battery it seemed to work, but it konked out again this morning on the
> way to work. Probably my stupidity for not recharging after 2 hours use,
> but I was wondering if anyone knows how useful is the vistalite night
> stick system in the wet???
>
> Any help much appreciated.

troyq
August 21st 03, 04:03 AM
spcjb001 wrote:
> I have started commuting to work (day 2). Yesterday on the way home my
> brand new vistalite nightstick system konked out (after about 2+ hours
> riding). It was ****ing down rain, despite a beautiful morning, so I
> figured I had somehow shorted the light or battery. When I dried the
> battery it seemed to work, but it konked out again this morning on the
> way to work. Probably my stupidity for not recharging after 2 hours use,
> but I was wondering if anyone knows how useful is the vistalite night
> stick system in the wet???
> Any help much appreciated.

I get about 2 hours with mine (5w)... i think anything around 2 hours is
pretty standard per charge (for niMh anyway).

I have not yet had any issues in the wet, although once I was sure that
water somehow made it into the (what i thought it was) sealed unit...
dried up pretty quickly though and havent had a problem since.

Also remember not to run the battery completely out (if it's niMh)...
once you see the light go from white to orange, time to recharge.

troyq
August 21st 03, 04:03 AM
spcjb001 wrote:
> I have started commuting to work (day 2). Yesterday on the way home my
> brand new vistalite nightstick system konked out (after about 2+ hours
> riding). It was ****ing down rain, despite a beautiful morning, so I
> figured I had somehow shorted the light or battery. When I dried the
> battery it seemed to work, but it konked out again this morning on the
> way to work. Probably my stupidity for not recharging after 2 hours use,
> but I was wondering if anyone knows how useful is the vistalite night
> stick system in the wet???
> Any help much appreciated.

I get about 2 hours with mine (5w)... i think anything around 2 hours is
pretty standard per charge (for niMh anyway).

I have not yet had any issues in the wet, although once I was sure that
water somehow made it into the (what i thought it was) sealed unit...
dried up pretty quickly though and havent had a problem since.

Also remember not to run the battery completely out (if it's niMh)...
once you see the light go from white to orange, time to recharge.

Sting
August 24th 03, 11:24 AM
I've had my Vistalites for a couple of years now and commute 60K's daily
with them - rain, hail or shine. My set-up has the battery plugs facing up,
and although I have never had any problems with them in the lovely Melbourne
winter, I do smear some petroleum jelly (vasoline) on to the connectors to
keep out the water.

This may have no positive effect, but it certainly doesn't hurt. It
definitely worked on my Cateye Speedo, where the rain would get between the
mounting bracket and the unit - shorting the wheel sensor and causing a unit
to read 0Km/hr.

Hope this helps.

Sting.

"spcjb001" > wrote in message
> I have started commuting to work (day 2). Yesterday on the way home my
> brand new vistalite nightstick system konked out (after about 2+ hours
> riding). It was ****ing down rain, despite a beautiful morning, so I
> figured I had somehow shorted the light or battery. When I dried the
> battery it seemed to work, but it konked out again this morning on the
> way to work. Probably my stupidity for not recharging after 2 hours use,
> but I was wondering if anyone knows how useful is the vistalite night
> stick system in the wet???
>
> Any help much appreciated.
>

> --

Google