PDA

View Full Version : LBS discounts?

Tim Jones
August 22nd 03, 05:29 AM
Hello all,

Just wondering what sort of discount you expect or receive from your LBS
when you purchase a new bike. With a bit of wrangling, I had about 12% off
retail offered as the rock bottom discount for a new MTB, cleats, shoes and
bar ends.

A WA shop offers 15% for orders made over the web (although they cannot
actually sell Giant bikes over the web due to their reseller agreement).

What are other people's expectations or experience?

Tim

Gary K
August 22nd 03, 03:19 PM
Andrew Swan > wrote:

> Tim Jones wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Just wondering what sort of discount you expect or receive from your LBS
> > when you purchase a new bike. With a bit of wrangling, I had about 12% off
> > retail offered as the rock bottom discount for a new MTB, cleats, shoes and
> > bar ends.
> >
> > A WA shop offers 15% for orders made over the web (although they cannot
> > actually sell Giant bikes over the web due to their reseller agreement).
> >
> > What are other people's expectations or experience?
> >
> > Tim
> >
> I tend to shop at bike shops that give a discount either for (a) having
> a racing licence or (b) being a Bike NSW member. Many shops in Sydney do
> one or both, and sometimes one is more than the other (e.g. 5% vs 10%)
> at the same shop, so it's worth asking. Make sure you ask for a discount
> BEFORE they ring up your purchases, otherwise if they are feeling surly
> they will knock you back (so far this has only happened in a certain
> large bike shop in Albury).

I tend to shop at shops that give me 10% for just walking in the door,
or maybe because I'm back a 2nd time, cant remember, but 10% off seems
to be standard at some places...

Gary K
August 22nd 03, 03:19 PM
Andrew Swan > wrote:

> Tim Jones wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Just wondering what sort of discount you expect or receive from your LBS
> > when you purchase a new bike. With a bit of wrangling, I had about 12% off
> > retail offered as the rock bottom discount for a new MTB, cleats, shoes and
> > bar ends.
> >
> > A WA shop offers 15% for orders made over the web (although they cannot
> > actually sell Giant bikes over the web due to their reseller agreement).
> >
> > What are other people's expectations or experience?
> >
> > Tim
> >
> I tend to shop at bike shops that give a discount either for (a) having
> a racing licence or (b) being a Bike NSW member. Many shops in Sydney do
> one or both, and sometimes one is more than the other (e.g. 5% vs 10%)
> at the same shop, so it's worth asking. Make sure you ask for a discount
> BEFORE they ring up your purchases, otherwise if they are feeling surly
> they will knock you back (so far this has only happened in a certain
> large bike shop in Albury).

I tend to shop at shops that give me 10% for just walking in the door,
or maybe because I'm back a 2nd time, cant remember, but 10% off seems
to be standard at some places...

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home