PDA

View Full Version : Re: Strange fatigue again...? (long)

hippy
August 24th 03, 11:50 PM
"Dodo" > wrote in message
> 2. Human vitality and energy is not linear you may be able to do a
thousand
> klms in a week in one part of the year and not be able to get out of
bed in
> another , get your self a biorythm calculator they can be very handy

What is a biorythm calculator? Any brand name you can suggest so I
can google for them?

> 3. You may be developing chronic fatigue ( hyopoglycimea low blood
sugar )
> and if you are do something about it NOW look at your eating habits if
you
> eat a lot of "energy foods" with a lot of refined sugar you are in
real
> danger of getting into a viscious circle of blood sugar fluctuations.
Which
> won't kill you they will just make you wish you were dead trust me I
just
> had all my teeth out because of this condition.

That's what the doc suggested it might've been. I do eat lots of high
sugar
foods so maybe I need to look at changing that.

cheers,
hip

D. Advocate
August 25th 03, 06:53 AM
"hippy" > wrote in message >...
> That's what the doc suggested it might've been. I do eat lots of high
> sugar foods so maybe I need to look at changing that.

Oh dear, that is a surefire way to experience big blood sugar
fluctuations. You need to eat more low glycemic index foods (esp
complex carbs) to regulate your blood sugar levels so they are
consistent without peaking and troughing. High glycemic stuff is OK
while you are training/racing or immediately after.

D. Advocate
August 25th 03, 06:53 AM
"hippy" > wrote in message >...
> That's what the doc suggested it might've been. I do eat lots of high
> sugar foods so maybe I need to look at changing that.

Oh dear, that is a surefire way to experience big blood sugar
fluctuations. You need to eat more low glycemic index foods (esp
complex carbs) to regulate your blood sugar levels so they are
consistent without peaking and troughing. High glycemic stuff is OK
while you are training/racing or immediately after.

hippy
August 25th 03, 11:59 PM
"D. Advocate" > wrote in message
om...
> > That's what the doc suggested it might've been. I do eat lots of
high
> > sugar foods so maybe I need to look at changing that.
>
> Oh dear, that is a surefire way to experience big blood sugar
> fluctuations. You need to eat more low glycemic index foods (esp
> complex carbs) to regulate your blood sugar levels so they are
> consistent without peaking and troughing. High glycemic stuff is OK
> while you are training/racing or immediately after.

Okay, so do most people get hold of one of those big
charts of food GI or is it just a matter of eating 'mostly'
complex carbs and not sugary foods?
This could be problematic with some 'healthy' foods
like breakfast cereals used by the AIS contain
20-30% sugar!
Any suggestions for how I should go about eating
low GI stuff - or just ditch the high sugar?
Gee.. my sugar rushing was the only thing keeping
me awake at work :-S

hippy

hippy
August 25th 03, 11:59 PM
"D. Advocate" > wrote in message
om...
> > That's what the doc suggested it might've been. I do eat lots of
high
> > sugar foods so maybe I need to look at changing that.
>
> Oh dear, that is a surefire way to experience big blood sugar
> fluctuations. You need to eat more low glycemic index foods (esp
> complex carbs) to regulate your blood sugar levels so they are
> consistent without peaking and troughing. High glycemic stuff is OK
> while you are training/racing or immediately after.

Okay, so do most people get hold of one of those big
charts of food GI or is it just a matter of eating 'mostly'
complex carbs and not sugary foods?
This could be problematic with some 'healthy' foods
like breakfast cereals used by the AIS contain
20-30% sugar!
Any suggestions for how I should go about eating
low GI stuff - or just ditch the high sugar?
Gee.. my sugar rushing was the only thing keeping
me awake at work :-S

hippy

Tim Jones
August 26th 03, 02:58 AM
"hippy" > wrote in message
> "D. Advocate" > wrote in message
> om...
> > > That's what the doc suggested it might've been. I do eat lots of
> high
> > > sugar foods so maybe I need to look at changing that.
> >
> > Oh dear, that is a surefire way to experience big blood sugar
> > fluctuations. You need to eat more low glycemic index foods (esp
> > complex carbs) to regulate your blood sugar levels so they are
> > consistent without peaking and troughing. High glycemic stuff is OK
> > while you are training/racing or immediately after.
>
> Okay, so do most people get hold of one of those big
> charts of food GI or is it just a matter of eating 'mostly'
> complex carbs and not sugary foods?
> This could be problematic with some 'healthy' foods
> like breakfast cereals used by the AIS contain
> 20-30% sugar!
> Any suggestions for how I should go about eating
> low GI stuff - or just ditch the high sugar?
> Gee.. my sugar rushing was the only thing keeping
> me awake at work :-S

I would suggest stuff like pasta and rice make great foods to eat - they
have plenty of carbs for energy, but you also have other stuff with them
(veggies, meat) so you are getting a better nutritionally balanced diet.

They won't keep you awake however - the coffee might be a good idea ;-)

Also what David said - don't go cold turkey.

Tim

Tim Jones
August 26th 03, 02:58 AM
"hippy" > wrote in message
> "D. Advocate" > wrote in message
> om...
> > > That's what the doc suggested it might've been. I do eat lots of
> high
> > > sugar foods so maybe I need to look at changing that.
> >
> > Oh dear, that is a surefire way to experience big blood sugar
> > fluctuations. You need to eat more low glycemic index foods (esp
> > complex carbs) to regulate your blood sugar levels so they are
> > consistent without peaking and troughing. High glycemic stuff is OK
> > while you are training/racing or immediately after.
>
> Okay, so do most people get hold of one of those big
> charts of food GI or is it just a matter of eating 'mostly'
> complex carbs and not sugary foods?
> This could be problematic with some 'healthy' foods
> like breakfast cereals used by the AIS contain
> 20-30% sugar!
> Any suggestions for how I should go about eating
> low GI stuff - or just ditch the high sugar?
> Gee.. my sugar rushing was the only thing keeping
> me awake at work :-S

I would suggest stuff like pasta and rice make great foods to eat - they
have plenty of carbs for energy, but you also have other stuff with them
(veggies, meat) so you are getting a better nutritionally balanced diet.

They won't keep you awake however - the coffee might be a good idea ;-)

Also what David said - don't go cold turkey.

Tim

hippy
August 26th 03, 03:27 AM
"Tim Jones" > wrote in message
. au...
> I would suggest stuff like pasta and rice make great foods to eat -
they
> have plenty of carbs for energy, but you also have other stuff with
them
> (veggies, meat) so you are getting a better nutritionally balanced
diet.

My problem isn't my main meals. I have a pretty good diet.. if you don't
include all the mid-meal junk food snacking.

Breakfast:
Burgen Low-GI Honey/Oat bread with low fat cottage cheese
sometimes porridge, normal toast or other cereal no sugar.

Lunch:
Stirfry, curry, dahl, mixed vegies and rice, etc. It's mostly
vegetarian and usually white rice, sometimes wholegrain.
Sometimes 'normal' pasta as well.

Dinner:
Anything from a couple of cheddarmite scrolls to curry, pasta,
rice and stirfry, (taco bills, fish & chips, sometimes).

The problem, I think, lies in between these meals...
Iced coffee, choc wheatens, lollies, chocolate, milo?
ice cream for dessert, maybe more chocolate later.
The actual day I had the wierdness, I was scoffing
those new Milo cereal things straight from the box
because they were so damn 'moreish'!!
I'm not buying them again for that reason. Licorice
allsorts and "hedgehog" from Brumbies were big on
the menu recently , especially around 3pm.

> They won't keep you awake however - the coffee might be a good idea
;-)

I stopped drinking cappucinos because I was cramping
and ended up moving to Coke (which I don't drink
any more) and then onto Iced Coffee - which I buy
a lot of now. Well, until now!

> Also what David said - don't go cold turkey.

What is the harm in going cold turkey?

What about like another poster said and only
eat high sugar stuff during and after riding?

Thanks everyone,
hippy

hippy
August 26th 03, 03:27 AM
"Tim Jones" > wrote in message
. au...
> I would suggest stuff like pasta and rice make great foods to eat -
they
> have plenty of carbs for energy, but you also have other stuff with
them
> (veggies, meat) so you are getting a better nutritionally balanced
diet.

My problem isn't my main meals. I have a pretty good diet.. if you don't
include all the mid-meal junk food snacking.

Breakfast:
Burgen Low-GI Honey/Oat bread with low fat cottage cheese
sometimes porridge, normal toast or other cereal no sugar.

Lunch:
Stirfry, curry, dahl, mixed vegies and rice, etc. It's mostly
vegetarian and usually white rice, sometimes wholegrain.
Sometimes 'normal' pasta as well.

Dinner:
Anything from a couple of cheddarmite scrolls to curry, pasta,
rice and stirfry, (taco bills, fish & chips, sometimes).

The problem, I think, lies in between these meals...
Iced coffee, choc wheatens, lollies, chocolate, milo?
ice cream for dessert, maybe more chocolate later.
The actual day I had the wierdness, I was scoffing
those new Milo cereal things straight from the box
because they were so damn 'moreish'!!
I'm not buying them again for that reason. Licorice
allsorts and "hedgehog" from Brumbies were big on
the menu recently , especially around 3pm.

> They won't keep you awake however - the coffee might be a good idea
;-)

I stopped drinking cappucinos because I was cramping
and ended up moving to Coke (which I don't drink
any more) and then onto Iced Coffee - which I buy
a lot of now. Well, until now!

> Also what David said - don't go cold turkey.

What is the harm in going cold turkey?

What about like another poster said and only
eat high sugar stuff during and after riding?

Thanks everyone,
hippy

Luther Blissett
August 26th 03, 03:40 AM
hippy wrote:
*snip*
> What is the harm in going cold turkey?

Going cold turkey can be quite stressful. It's also too easy to fall off
the wagon if you go compelety cold turkey (too many cliches!), and quite
demoralising if you keep doing it.

I nominated Friday as my crap food day, and every other day I am a good
boy. I was struggling to give up my coca-cola addiction (min 2 bottles a
day), but then I found if I switched to Pepsi it was easier to kick the
habit.

- LB

Luther Blissett
August 26th 03, 03:40 AM
hippy wrote:
*snip*
> What is the harm in going cold turkey?

Going cold turkey can be quite stressful. It's also too easy to fall off
the wagon if you go compelety cold turkey (too many cliches!), and quite
demoralising if you keep doing it.

I nominated Friday as my crap food day, and every other day I am a good
boy. I was struggling to give up my coca-cola addiction (min 2 bottles a
day), but then I found if I switched to Pepsi it was easier to kick the
habit.

- LB

John Staines
August 26th 03, 06:07 AM
Hi Hippy,

There's a pretty good website for you to check out if your interested.

http://diabetes.about.com/library/mendosagi/nmendosagi.htm

Hope you find the above beneficial.

Cheers

John

hippy wrote:

> "D. Advocate" > wrote in message
> om...
> > > That's what the doc suggested it might've been. I do eat lots of
> high
> > > sugar foods so maybe I need to look at changing that.
> >
> > Oh dear, that is a surefire way to experience big blood sugar
> > fluctuations. You need to eat more low glycemic index foods (esp
> > complex carbs) to regulate your blood sugar levels so they are
> > consistent without peaking and troughing. High glycemic stuff is OK
> > while you are training/racing or immediately after.
>
> Okay, so do most people get hold of one of those big
> charts of food GI or is it just a matter of eating 'mostly'
> complex carbs and not sugary foods?
> This could be problematic with some 'healthy' foods
> like breakfast cereals used by the AIS contain
> 20-30% sugar!
> Any suggestions for how I should go about eating
> low GI stuff - or just ditch the high sugar?
> Gee.. my sugar rushing was the only thing keeping
> me awake at work :-S
>
> hippy

hippy
August 26th 03, 12:50 PM
"Peter Signorini" > wrote in message
> > I would suggest stuff like pasta and rice make great foods to eat - they
> > have plenty of carbs for energy, but you also have other stuff with them
> > (veggies, meat) so you are getting a better nutritionally balanced diet.
>
> Believe it or not, pasta is apparently a high GI food, which surprised me
> when I was lookingat a preformance food site a while ago.

"most of us tend to eat a lot of rice and potatoes and because they can
have a high glycemic index. Professor Brand-Miller reports the results of
49 studies of rice and 24 studies of potatoes. The results for rice ranged
all the way from 54 to 132 and for potatoes from 67 to 158."
http://diabetes.about.com/library/mendosagi/nmendosagi.htm

hippy
all is not as it seems...

hippy
August 26th 03, 12:50 PM
"Peter Signorini" > wrote in message
> > I would suggest stuff like pasta and rice make great foods to eat - they
> > have plenty of carbs for energy, but you also have other stuff with them
> > (veggies, meat) so you are getting a better nutritionally balanced diet.
>
> Believe it or not, pasta is apparently a high GI food, which surprised me
> when I was lookingat a preformance food site a while ago.

"most of us tend to eat a lot of rice and potatoes and because they can
have a high glycemic index. Professor Brand-Miller reports the results of
49 studies of rice and 24 studies of potatoes. The results for rice ranged
all the way from 54 to 132 and for potatoes from 67 to 158."
http://diabetes.about.com/library/mendosagi/nmendosagi.htm

hippy
all is not as it seems...

David Kerber
August 26th 03, 01:20 PM
In article >,
says...
> "Tim Jones" > wrote in message
> . au...
> > I would suggest stuff like pasta and rice make great foods to eat -
> they
> > have plenty of carbs for energy, but you also have other stuff with
> them
> > (veggies, meat) so you are getting a better nutritionally balanced
> diet.
>
> My problem isn't my main meals. I have a pretty good diet.. if you don't
> include all the mid-meal junk food snacking.
>
> Breakfast:
> Burgen Low-GI Honey/Oat bread with low fat cottage cheese
> sometimes porridge, normal toast or other cereal no sugar.
>
> Lunch:
> Stirfry, curry, dahl, mixed vegies and rice, etc. It's mostly
> vegetarian and usually white rice, sometimes wholegrain.
> Sometimes 'normal' pasta as well.
>
> Dinner:
> Anything from a couple of cheddarmite scrolls to curry, pasta,
> rice and stirfry, (taco bills, fish & chips, sometimes).
>
> The problem, I think, lies in between these meals...
> Iced coffee, choc wheatens, lollies, chocolate, milo?
> ice cream for dessert, maybe more chocolate later.
> The actual day I had the wierdness, I was scoffing
> those new Milo cereal things straight from the box
> because they were so damn 'moreish'!!
> I'm not buying them again for that reason. Licorice
> allsorts and "hedgehog" from Brumbies were big on
> the menu recently , especially around 3pm.
>
> > They won't keep you awake however - the coffee might be a good idea
> ;-)
>
> I stopped drinking cappucinos because I was cramping
> and ended up moving to Coke (which I don't drink
> any more) and then onto Iced Coffee - which I buy
> a lot of now. Well, until now!
>
> > Also what David said - don't go cold turkey.
>
> What is the harm in going cold turkey?

No harm; it's just extremely hard to summon the willpower to completely
cut yourself off from stuff you love to eat. IME, it's easier to limit
yourself than to stop entirely. Maybe say that if you make it through
the day not eating any sugary stuff, you will reward yourself with some
after supper.

> What about like another poster said and only
> eat high sugar stuff during and after riding?

If you have the discipline, that's possible too.

--

"Where was the ka-boom? There was supposed to be an Earth-shattering ka-
boom!"

David Kerber
August 26th 03, 01:20 PM
In article >,
says...
> "Tim Jones" > wrote in message
> . au...
> > I would suggest stuff like pasta and rice make great foods to eat -
> they
> > have plenty of carbs for energy, but you also have other stuff with
> them
> > (veggies, meat) so you are getting a better nutritionally balanced
> diet.
>
> My problem isn't my main meals. I have a pretty good diet.. if you don't
> include all the mid-meal junk food snacking.
>
> Breakfast:
> Burgen Low-GI Honey/Oat bread with low fat cottage cheese
> sometimes porridge, normal toast or other cereal no sugar.
>
> Lunch:
> Stirfry, curry, dahl, mixed vegies and rice, etc. It's mostly
> vegetarian and usually white rice, sometimes wholegrain.
> Sometimes 'normal' pasta as well.
>
> Dinner:
> Anything from a couple of cheddarmite scrolls to curry, pasta,
> rice and stirfry, (taco bills, fish & chips, sometimes).
>
> The problem, I think, lies in between these meals...
> Iced coffee, choc wheatens, lollies, chocolate, milo?
> ice cream for dessert, maybe more chocolate later.
> The actual day I had the wierdness, I was scoffing
> those new Milo cereal things straight from the box
> because they were so damn 'moreish'!!
> I'm not buying them again for that reason. Licorice
> allsorts and "hedgehog" from Brumbies were big on
> the menu recently , especially around 3pm.
>
> > They won't keep you awake however - the coffee might be a good idea
> ;-)
>
> I stopped drinking cappucinos because I was cramping
> and ended up moving to Coke (which I don't drink
> any more) and then onto Iced Coffee - which I buy
> a lot of now. Well, until now!
>
> > Also what David said - don't go cold turkey.
>
> What is the harm in going cold turkey?

No harm; it's just extremely hard to summon the willpower to completely
cut yourself off from stuff you love to eat. IME, it's easier to limit
yourself than to stop entirely. Maybe say that if you make it through
the day not eating any sugary stuff, you will reward yourself with some
after supper.

> What about like another poster said and only
> eat high sugar stuff during and after riding?

If you have the discipline, that's possible too.

--

"Where was the ka-boom? There was supposed to be an Earth-shattering ka-
boom!"
- Marvin The Martian

Tim Jones
August 26th 03, 02:28 PM
"hippy" > wrote in message
> "Peter Signorini" > wrote in message
> > > I would suggest stuff like pasta and rice make great foods to eat -
they
> > > have plenty of carbs for energy, but you also have other stuff with
them
> > > (veggies, meat) so you are getting a better nutritionally balanced
diet.

> > Believe it or not, pasta is apparently a high GI food, which surprised
me
> > when I was lookingat a preformance food site a while ago.
>
> "most of us tend to eat a lot of rice and potatoes and because they can
> have a high glycemic index. Professor Brand-Miller reports the results of
> 49 studies of rice and 24 studies of potatoes. The results for rice ranged
> all the way from 54 to 132 and for potatoes from 67 to 158."
> http://diabetes.about.com/library/mendosagi/nmendosagi.htm
>
> hippy
> all is not as it seems...

Oh well. That's what you get for your dollar in asking a cycling newgroup
for diet advice ;-)

Tim

Tim Jones
August 26th 03, 02:28 PM
"hippy" > wrote in message
> "Peter Signorini" > wrote in message
> > > I would suggest stuff like pasta and rice make great foods to eat -
they
> > > have plenty of carbs for energy, but you also have other stuff with
them
> > > (veggies, meat) so you are getting a better nutritionally balanced
diet.

> > Believe it or not, pasta is apparently a high GI food, which surprised
me
> > when I was lookingat a preformance food site a while ago.
>
> "most of us tend to eat a lot of rice and potatoes and because they can
> have a high glycemic index. Professor Brand-Miller reports the results of
> 49 studies of rice and 24 studies of potatoes. The results for rice ranged
> all the way from 54 to 132 and for potatoes from 67 to 158."
> http://diabetes.about.com/library/mendosagi/nmendosagi.htm
>
> hippy
> all is not as it seems...

Oh well. That's what you get for your dollar in asking a cycling newgroup
for diet advice ;-)

Tim

hippy
August 26th 03, 11:55 PM
> > What is the harm in going cold turkey?
>
> No harm; it's just extremely hard to summon the willpower to
completely
> cut yourself off from stuff you love to eat. IME, it's easier to
limit
> yourself than to stop entirely. Maybe say that if you make it through
> the day not eating any sugary stuff, you will reward yourself with
some
> after supper.

I don't think I'd ever tried that. I'll give it a shot.

> > What about like another poster said and only
> > eat high sugar stuff during and after riding?
>
> If you have the discipline, that's possible too.

ha discipline! I can regularly punish my body on
the bike.. but give up lollies and chocolate?
Are you mad!? :-)

Seriously though I'm reading the stuff John
posted and I'm getting a blood test done
today. I'm giving apples a go instead of
biscuits and will attempt to include more
wholegrain stuff rather than white breads
and white rices - though looking through
some of the GI charts, it's not always that
simple.

ta,
hippy

hippy
August 26th 03, 11:55 PM
> > What is the harm in going cold turkey?
>
> No harm; it's just extremely hard to summon the willpower to
completely
> cut yourself off from stuff you love to eat. IME, it's easier to
limit
> yourself than to stop entirely. Maybe say that if you make it through
> the day not eating any sugary stuff, you will reward yourself with
some
> after supper.

I don't think I'd ever tried that. I'll give it a shot.

> > What about like another poster said and only
> > eat high sugar stuff during and after riding?
>
> If you have the discipline, that's possible too.

ha discipline! I can regularly punish my body on
the bike.. but give up lollies and chocolate?
Are you mad!? :-)

Seriously though I'm reading the stuff John
posted and I'm getting a blood test done
today. I'm giving apples a go instead of
biscuits and will attempt to include more
wholegrain stuff rather than white breads
and white rices - though looking through
some of the GI charts, it's not always that
simple.

ta,
hippy

John Staines
August 28th 03, 06:16 AM
I think the secret is to give yourself a treat every now and again.
Perhaps pick a day where you reward yourself, not to extravagantly
though. :) This will hopefully keep you on the wagon. As others have
mentioned going cold turkey is often not very beneficial in the long run
and the best intentions often fall away due to the size of the goal you
have set yourself.

Another thing is to try and be aware when your diet is slipping back to
the dark side and to correct it. We all have days when we pig out and
then later regret it. Instead of beating yourself up about it, just get
back to eating the way you should be and write your indulgence off as a
bad day. We are only human after all.

Finally, remember to set small achievable goals which will ultimately
lead to your ultimate goal. You'll be surprised how achievable healthy
eating is once you start to change your habits.

Best of luck

John

Of course I'm assuming that the results of your blood test won't all be
doom and gloom.

hippy wrote:

> "John Staines" > wrote in message
> > There's a pretty good website for you to check out if your interested.
> > http://diabetes.about.com/library/mendosagi/nmendosagi.htm
> > Hope you find the above beneficial.
>
> Indeed! Reading this has cleared a few issues up and
> raised a couple more. I'm still waiting for the results
> of the blood test but regardless I will be altering my
> sugar binges. So much for carbs being so good! :P
>
> On another matter.. how do you guys maintain focus
> on these sort of nutrition issues?
> e.g. in 3 months when all my bad habits have come
> back again.. how would I prevent this happening?
> I guess, just train myself into the new habits?
> I need some big matron-type woman to whack me
> every month and question my discipline! :-)
>
> hippy

DRS
August 28th 03, 06:21 PM
hippy > wrote in message

[...]

> On another matter.. how do you guys maintain focus
> on these sort of nutrition issues?
> e.g. in 3 months when all my bad habits have come
> back again.. how would I prevent this happening?
> I guess, just train myself into the new habits?

Why would they come back? The problem you described was cravings. Most
people only get cravings when their body is desperately screaming out for
something they've been denying it - like sugars or fats! The irony is that
in our crazy society everything is so low-salt, low-sugar and low-fat you
can end up eating very unhealthily (I once got a right telling off by my
doctor because I'd cut my salt intake so low). You need salts, sugars and
fats. The right way to eat isn't to cut them out altogether, it's to eat
the right amounts of the right types at the right times. If you are eating
properly you won't get cravings. Moreover, as you exercise more, increase
your lean muscle mass and decrease your body fat you can actually eat *more*
because your metabolism becomes more efficient.

> I need some big matron-type woman to whack me
> every month and question my discipline! :-)

Only if you really want to.

--

A: Top-posters.

DRS
August 28th 03, 06:21 PM
hippy > wrote in message

[...]

> On another matter.. how do you guys maintain focus
> on these sort of nutrition issues?
> e.g. in 3 months when all my bad habits have come
> back again.. how would I prevent this happening?
> I guess, just train myself into the new habits?

Why would they come back? The problem you described was cravings. Most
people only get cravings when their body is desperately screaming out for
something they've been denying it - like sugars or fats! The irony is that
in our crazy society everything is so low-salt, low-sugar and low-fat you
can end up eating very unhealthily (I once got a right telling off by my
doctor because I'd cut my salt intake so low). You need salts, sugars and
fats. The right way to eat isn't to cut them out altogether, it's to eat
the right amounts of the right types at the right times. If you are eating
properly you won't get cravings. Moreover, as you exercise more, increase
your lean muscle mass and decrease your body fat you can actually eat *more*
because your metabolism becomes more efficient.

> I need some big matron-type woman to whack me
> every month and question my discipline! :-)

Only if you really want to.

--

A: Top-posters.

Google