PDA

View Full Version : Stuck behind a bike

Arpit
September 4th 03, 12:49 PM
WHat do you poepl do if you are on a road where there isnt enough room
for a car to safely pass you, but is stuck behind you and driver is
getting ****ed?

hippy
September 4th 03, 01:15 PM
"Arpit" > wrote in message
> WHat do you poepl do if you are on a road where there isnt enough room
> for a car to safely pass you, but is stuck behind you and driver is
> getting ****ed?

Well you could just stick it out - you DO have a
right to be there.

Or, you could pull your bike off the road and
let them pass.

Or you could ride really fast so they are no longer
stuck behind a 'slow' bike.

I do all of the above to differing degrees depending
on how long they are likely to be stuck behind me
and if they were nice about getting stuck or not.

hippy

hippy
September 4th 03, 01:15 PM
"Arpit" > wrote in message
> WHat do you poepl do if you are on a road where there isnt enough room
> for a car to safely pass you, but is stuck behind you and driver is
> getting ****ed?

Well you could just stick it out - you DO have a
right to be there.

Or, you could pull your bike off the road and
let them pass.

Or you could ride really fast so they are no longer
stuck behind a 'slow' bike.

I do all of the above to differing degrees depending
on how long they are likely to be stuck behind me
and if they were nice about getting stuck or not.

hippy

Suzy Jackson
September 4th 03, 01:50 PM
"Arpit" > wrote in message
> WHat do you poepl do if you are on a road where there isnt enough room
> for a car to safely pass you, but is stuck behind you and driver is
> getting ****ed?

What I hate more is when there _is_ enough room to pass, but not a hell of a
lot, and the f^&wit won't go round, but instead sits two inches off your
back wheel. You just know that their frustration level's going to rise to
the point where they'll do something stupid. West end of Mowbray road is a
typical example.

When that happens, I deliberately slow to a snails pace. Once or twice I've
actually stopped, and then they suddenly realise there's a whole road there
and take off.

Regards,

Suzy

Suzy Jackson
September 4th 03, 01:50 PM
"Arpit" > wrote in message
> WHat do you poepl do if you are on a road where there isnt enough room
> for a car to safely pass you, but is stuck behind you and driver is
> getting ****ed?

What I hate more is when there _is_ enough room to pass, but not a hell of a
lot, and the f^&wit won't go round, but instead sits two inches off your
back wheel. You just know that their frustration level's going to rise to
the point where they'll do something stupid. West end of Mowbray road is a
typical example.

When that happens, I deliberately slow to a snails pace. Once or twice I've
actually stopped, and then they suddenly realise there's a whole road there
and take off.

Regards,

Suzy

Spider1977
September 4th 03, 01:52 PM
Arpit wrote:
> WHat do you poepl do if you are on a road where there isnt enough room
> for a car to safely pass you, but is stuck behind you and driver is
> getting ****ed?

Tell him not to drink and drive, bloody idiot!

Spider1977
September 4th 03, 01:52 PM
Arpit wrote:
> WHat do you poepl do if you are on a road where there isnt enough room
> for a car to safely pass you, but is stuck behind you and driver is
> getting ****ed?

Tell him not to drink and drive, bloody idiot!

Alan Erskine
September 4th 03, 04:21 PM
"Suzy Jackson" > wrote in message
> "Arpit" > wrote in message
> > WHat do you poepl do if you are on a road where there isnt enough room
> > for a car to safely pass you, but is stuck behind you and driver is
> > getting ****ed?
>
> What I hate more is when there _is_ enough room to pass, but not a hell of
> lot, and the f^&wit won't go round, but instead sits two inches off your
> back wheel. You just know that their frustration level's going to rise to
> the point where they'll do something stupid. West end of Mowbray road is
> typical example.
>
> When that happens, I deliberately slow to a snails pace. Once or twice
I've
> actually stopped, and then they suddenly realise there's a whole road
there
> and take off.
>
> Regards,
>
> Suzy

What I love (?) is being in a car and stuck behind a bike - the driver gets
'heated' and says things like f&%$#ing cyclist and I remind them that _I_
normally ride a bike. Shuts them up really fast!
--
Alan Erskine
alanerskine(at)optusnet.com.au

Alan Erskine
September 4th 03, 04:21 PM
"Suzy Jackson" > wrote in message
> "Arpit" > wrote in message
> > WHat do you poepl do if you are on a road where there isnt enough room
> > for a car to safely pass you, but is stuck behind you and driver is
> > getting ****ed?
>
> What I hate more is when there _is_ enough room to pass, but not a hell of
> lot, and the f^&wit won't go round, but instead sits two inches off your
> back wheel. You just know that their frustration level's going to rise to
> the point where they'll do something stupid. West end of Mowbray road is
> typical example.
>
> When that happens, I deliberately slow to a snails pace. Once or twice
I've
> actually stopped, and then they suddenly realise there's a whole road
there
> and take off.
>
> Regards,
>
> Suzy

What I love (?) is being in a car and stuck behind a bike - the driver gets
'heated' and says things like f&%$#ing cyclist and I remind them that _I_
normally ride a bike. Shuts them up really fast!
--
Alan Erskine
alanerskine(at)optusnet.com.au
Where are the Weapons of Mass
Destruction, Mr Bush?

SM
September 4th 03, 05:18 PM
"Arpit" > wrote in message
> WHat do you poepl do if you are on a road where there isnt enough room
> for a car to safely pass you, but is stuck behind you and driver is
> getting ****ed?

I just try and gesture to them to move past if there is enough room or
otherwise duck up onto the path for a couple of metres so they can get past.
If there isnt enough room then ride on but if it looks like they are going
to get stupid then just pull off and let them past... it aint worth being
hit from behind or having something thrown at you as they go past.

My fav was the couple in the beat up POS that changed to the outside lane
(yes this was on a hwy with little other traffic) then Ferrel Sherral yells
"GET ON THE FOOTPATH AND OFF THE F**KING ROAD!" whilst her delightful buck
toothed husband points to footpath using his middle finger and then hoon off
leaving a ploom of black smoke... only to end up at the next set of lights
where she is half the way out the window still yelling at us as my mate
rides past and gives her half a bottle of Powerade in the face... We then
took her advice and hiked it onto the path and down onto the cycleway (where
we were headed anyway).

SM
September 4th 03, 05:18 PM
"Arpit" > wrote in message
> WHat do you poepl do if you are on a road where there isnt enough room
> for a car to safely pass you, but is stuck behind you and driver is
> getting ****ed?

I just try and gesture to them to move past if there is enough room or
otherwise duck up onto the path for a couple of metres so they can get past.
If there isnt enough room then ride on but if it looks like they are going
to get stupid then just pull off and let them past... it aint worth being
hit from behind or having something thrown at you as they go past.

My fav was the couple in the beat up POS that changed to the outside lane
(yes this was on a hwy with little other traffic) then Ferrel Sherral yells
"GET ON THE FOOTPATH AND OFF THE F**KING ROAD!" whilst her delightful buck
toothed husband points to footpath using his middle finger and then hoon off
leaving a ploom of black smoke... only to end up at the next set of lights
where she is half the way out the window still yelling at us as my mate
rides past and gives her half a bottle of Powerade in the face... We then
took her advice and hiked it onto the path and down onto the cycleway (where
we were headed anyway).

Tim Jones
September 4th 03, 10:50 PM
"SM" > wrote in message

<...>
> I just try and gesture to them to move past if there is enough room or
> otherwise duck up onto the path for a couple of metres so they can get
past.
> If there isnt enough room then ride on but if it looks like they are going
> to get stupid then just pull off and let them past... it aint worth being
> hit from behind or having something thrown at you as they go past.
>
> My fav was the couple in the beat up POS that changed to the outside lane
> (yes this was on a hwy with little other traffic) then Ferrel Sherral
yells
> "GET ON THE FOOTPATH AND OFF THE F**KING ROAD!" whilst her delightful buck
> toothed husband points to footpath using his middle finger and then hoon
off
> leaving a ploom of black smoke... only to end up at the next set of lights
> where she is half the way out the window still yelling at us as my mate
> rides past and gives her half a bottle of Powerade in the face... We then
> took her advice and hiked it onto the path and down onto the cycleway
(where
> we were headed anyway).

LOL

Love it...

Tim

Tim Jones
September 4th 03, 10:50 PM
"SM" > wrote in message

<...>
> I just try and gesture to them to move past if there is enough room or
> otherwise duck up onto the path for a couple of metres so they can get
past.
> If there isnt enough room then ride on but if it looks like they are going
> to get stupid then just pull off and let them past... it aint worth being
> hit from behind or having something thrown at you as they go past.
>
> My fav was the couple in the beat up POS that changed to the outside lane
> (yes this was on a hwy with little other traffic) then Ferrel Sherral
yells
> "GET ON THE FOOTPATH AND OFF THE F**KING ROAD!" whilst her delightful buck
> toothed husband points to footpath using his middle finger and then hoon
off
> leaving a ploom of black smoke... only to end up at the next set of lights
> where she is half the way out the window still yelling at us as my mate
> rides past and gives her half a bottle of Powerade in the face... We then
> took her advice and hiked it onto the path and down onto the cycleway
(where
> we were headed anyway).

LOL

Love it...

Tim

Peter Cremasco
September 4th 03, 11:17 PM
On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 11:49:17 GMT, Arpit
> wrote:

>WHat do you poepl do if you are on a road where there isnt enough room
>for a car to safely pass you, but is stuck behind you and driver is
>getting ****ed?

What do YOU do if you are driving a vehicle on the road, where there
isn't enough room for a car to safely pass you, but is stuck behind you
and the driver is getting ****ed?

---
Cheers

PeterC

[Rushing headlong: out of control - and there ain't no stopping]
[and there's nothing you can do about it at all]

Peter Cremasco
September 4th 03, 11:17 PM
On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 11:49:17 GMT, Arpit
> wrote:

>WHat do you poepl do if you are on a road where there isnt enough room
>for a car to safely pass you, but is stuck behind you and driver is
>getting ****ed?

What do YOU do if you are driving a vehicle on the road, where there
isn't enough room for a car to safely pass you, but is stuck behind you
and the driver is getting ****ed?

---
Cheers

PeterC

[Rushing headlong: out of control - and there ain't no stopping]
[and there's nothing you can do about it at all]

Andrew Lighten
September 5th 03, 01:49 AM
> What do YOU do if you are driving a vehicle on the road, where there
> isn't enough room for a car to safely pass you, but is stuck behind you
> and the driver is getting ****ed?

Two words: "BRAKE TEST"

Andrew Lighten
September 5th 03, 01:49 AM
> What do YOU do if you are driving a vehicle on the road, where there
> isn't enough room for a car to safely pass you, but is stuck behind you
> and the driver is getting ****ed?

Two words: "BRAKE TEST"

amirm
September 5th 03, 01:52 AM
Suzy Jackson wrote:
> "Arpit" > wrote in message news:lj9elvs-
> :lj9elvsb85 g6l90ff7ig7vhtfqu7ldo-
> > WHat do you poepl do if you are on a road where there isnt enough room
> > for a car to safely pass you, but is stuck behind you and driver is
> > getting ****ed?
> What I hate more is when there _is_ enough room to pass, but not a hell
> of a lot, and the f^&wit won't go round, but instead sits two inches off
> your back wheel. You just know that their frustration level's going to
> rise to the point where they'll do something stupid. West end of Mowbray
> road is a typical example.
> When that happens, I deliberately slow to a snails pace. Once or twice
> I've actually stopped, and then they suddenly realise there's a whole
> road there and take off.
> Regards,
> Suzy

I take your point. But do you think some drivers would have different
attitude depending whether the rider is a male or a female?

amirm
September 5th 03, 01:52 AM
Suzy Jackson wrote:
> "Arpit" > wrote in message news:lj9elvs-
> :lj9elvsb85 g6l90ff7ig7vhtfqu7ldo-
> > WHat do you poepl do if you are on a road where there isnt enough room
> > for a car to safely pass you, but is stuck behind you and driver is
> > getting ****ed?
> What I hate more is when there _is_ enough room to pass, but not a hell
> of a lot, and the f^&wit won't go round, but instead sits two inches off
> your back wheel. You just know that their frustration level's going to
> rise to the point where they'll do something stupid. West end of Mowbray
> road is a typical example.
> When that happens, I deliberately slow to a snails pace. Once or twice
> I've actually stopped, and then they suddenly realise there's a whole
> road there and take off.
> Regards,
> Suzy

I take your point. But do you think some drivers would have different
attitude depending whether the rider is a male or a female?

Tim Jones
September 5th 03, 03:17 AM
"Peter Cremasco" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 11:49:17 GMT, Arpit
> > wrote:
>
> >WHat do you poepl do if you are on a road where there isnt enough room
> >for a car to safely pass you, but is stuck behind you and driver is
> >getting ****ed?
>
> What do YOU do if you are driving a vehicle on the road, where there
> isn't enough room for a car to safely pass you, but is stuck behind you
> and the driver is getting ****ed?

If I'm in a car, going the speed limit and someone starts tailgating me,
I'll usually slow down. On a freeway, getting tailgated, I'll flash my brake
lights - that usually works in getting them to back off.

I can't remember ever being in a situation long enough to warrant conscious
thought on the matter for being on the bike and someone not being able to
get past. What sort of area are people riding on to have this for an
extended period? I cycle only Melbourne bike tracks and roads.

Tim

Tim Jones
September 5th 03, 03:17 AM
"Peter Cremasco" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 11:49:17 GMT, Arpit
> > wrote:
>
> >WHat do you poepl do if you are on a road where there isnt enough room
> >for a car to safely pass you, but is stuck behind you and driver is
> >getting ****ed?
>
> What do YOU do if you are driving a vehicle on the road, where there
> isn't enough room for a car to safely pass you, but is stuck behind you
> and the driver is getting ****ed?

If I'm in a car, going the speed limit and someone starts tailgating me,
I'll usually slow down. On a freeway, getting tailgated, I'll flash my brake
lights - that usually works in getting them to back off.

I can't remember ever being in a situation long enough to warrant conscious
thought on the matter for being on the bike and someone not being able to
get past. What sort of area are people riding on to have this for an
extended period? I cycle only Melbourne bike tracks and roads.

Tim

hippy
September 5th 03, 03:29 AM
"amirm" > wrote in message
> I take your point. But do you think some drivers would have different
> attitude depending whether the rider is a male or a female?

Definately. As well as whether or not you are wearing lycra
and on a road bike or an mtb. Or if you are a kid on a bmx.
Or if you are wearing no helmet or have no lights at night.
Or if they've had a bad day.
Every driver can reacte differently depending on millions
of circumstances.
Why do you ask? Somone wrong you?

I often think to myself "well I have a right to be here so
get stuffed car driver" which most of the time changes to:
"okay i'll let you through because if i do, you might not
hate me so much next time we meet and if I intentionally
hold you up, i'm just causing you to waste MORE fuel
anyway!"
If the person in the car gives me grief though, and i'm
doing nothing wrong, well, lets just say it suddenly looks
like the hippy has taken some bad acid :-)

hippy

hippy
September 5th 03, 03:29 AM
"amirm" > wrote in message
> I take your point. But do you think some drivers would have different
> attitude depending whether the rider is a male or a female?

Definately. As well as whether or not you are wearing lycra
and on a road bike or an mtb. Or if you are a kid on a bmx.
Or if you are wearing no helmet or have no lights at night.
Or if they've had a bad day.
Every driver can reacte differently depending on millions
of circumstances.
Why do you ask? Somone wrong you?

I often think to myself "well I have a right to be here so
get stuffed car driver" which most of the time changes to:
"okay i'll let you through because if i do, you might not
hate me so much next time we meet and if I intentionally
hold you up, i'm just causing you to waste MORE fuel
anyway!"
If the person in the car gives me grief though, and i'm
doing nothing wrong, well, lets just say it suddenly looks
like the hippy has taken some bad acid :-)

hippy

hippy
September 5th 03, 03:33 AM
"Tim Jones" > wrote in message
. au...
> I can't remember ever being in a situation long enough to warrant
conscious
> thought on the matter for being on the bike and someone not being able
> get past. What sort of area are people riding on to have this for an
> extended period? I cycle only Melbourne bike tracks and roads.

Sometimes the traffic flow is just right to stick you in this situation.
e.g. Trams can cause it. You catch up to a tram and then the person
behind you doesn't have the judgment/skill to pass between you and
the tram so insteads starts beeping at you to, what, levitate the bike
sideways over the gutter?!
f%$ off b%^ch! (venting, sorry, can still remember this one incident..)

hippy

hippy
September 5th 03, 03:33 AM
"Tim Jones" > wrote in message
. au...
> I can't remember ever being in a situation long enough to warrant
conscious
> thought on the matter for being on the bike and someone not being able
> get past. What sort of area are people riding on to have this for an
> extended period? I cycle only Melbourne bike tracks and roads.

Sometimes the traffic flow is just right to stick you in this situation.
e.g. Trams can cause it. You catch up to a tram and then the person
behind you doesn't have the judgment/skill to pass between you and
the tram so insteads starts beeping at you to, what, levitate the bike
sideways over the gutter?!
f%$ off b%^ch! (venting, sorry, can still remember this one incident..)

hippy

Paul J
September 5th 03, 04:10 AM
Keep in mind people that we're on a bike with no protection and no power
to get quickly out of a trap situation. Our options as cyclists are very
limited. So although it's nice to imagine that we're in control when
someone is struck behind us it's better to always assume that they are
not cycle-friendly and be prepared for the worst.

An associate of mine (anti-cyclist) once described a situation to me. An
inconsiderate cyclist was riding in the inside lane approaching the
intersection at which he needed to turn left. Five metres out of the
intersection he decides not to wait and cuts off the bike because.....he
didn't want to hold up anyone who might be coming along behind him. He
honestly felt that the cyclist was interfering with his rights and that
he was acting in a socially responsible manner towards other drivers
behind him.

This indicates the mentality of a few drivers out there. Slowing down
for just a few moments for another road user is utterly unimaginable.
The more "insignificant" the other vehicle the more frustrated they
become. It's just few moments but to them it must feel like a lifetime.
And all they're doing is going down to the pub.

[...]

SteveDel
September 5th 03, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by Paul J Keep in mind people that we're on a bike
with no protection and no power to get quickly out of a trap situation.
Our options as cyclists are very limited. So although it's nice to
imagine that we're in control when someone is struck behind us it's
better to always assume that they are not cycle-friendly and be prepared
for the worst.

Oh so true. Commuting daily in Sydney is a good way of coming across all
the reminders that this fact. I have found that the Bus lane / Transit
lane in the South Eastern burbs is the safest place to be. The Bus
drivers have all been great, in fact I've had some good runs with them
going up Anzac Pde, as they stop to pick up the plebs at 0630 and then
again in rush-hour on the way home. They always go wide on the straight
runs and come up slow with no pressure into a stop.

But watch the cabs and the idiots with no peripheral vision and
pudding-basin haircuts, and no sense of distance. (you know, the one's
who pull up 10 metres from a traffic light, and who are always driving
the car at the front of a line of nose to tailers!) Both these will pull
up and have been known to cut in at no-notice to get round that next
corner only metres in front of you at 30+ KM/HR. The bar-end rear view
mirror gets a good workout, and I have to replace the brake pads every
1000k's, but I wouldn't miss the daily buzz for quids. Something about
the return to the primeval and the need for adrenalin.

But you always have to remember, only two wheels, reflexes, and
alertness to keep you upright and a brain bucket to save you if you
can't beat the odds.

Good luck and safe rolling. :cool:

[...]

September 5th 03, 06:10 AM
>If I'm in a car, going the speed limit and someone starts >tailgating
>me, I'll usually slow down. On a freeway, getting tailgated, I'll flash
>my brake lights - that >usually works in getting them to back off.

That's reactionary. Not good. If they're travelling too close and no
idea of the speed limit then let that be they're problem. They WILL have
an accident and probably already have at some point. They may even be
doing it purely to get a reaction from you in which case you've given
them something. Be aware of them remembering that ignorance is bliss and
that in your doing nothing at all they're only getting more and more
frustrated, all the while being completely in the wrong. Being ignored
can be soooo frustrating.

Paul J
September 5th 03, 06:10 AM
>If I'm in a car, going the speed limit and someone starts >tailgating
>me, I'll usually slow down. On a freeway, getting tailgated, I'll flash
>my brake lights - that >usually works in getting them to back off.

That's reactionary. Not good. If they're travelling too close and no
idea of the speed limit then let that be they're problem. They WILL have
an accident and probably already have at some point. They may even be
doing it purely to get a reaction from you in which case you've given
them something. Be aware of them remembering that ignorance is bliss and
that in your doing nothing at all they're only getting more and more
frustrated, all the while being completely in the wrong. Being ignored
can be soooo frustrating.

Arpit
September 5th 03, 07:28 AM
On 5 Sep 2003 10:42:27 +0950, amirm >
wrote:

>Suzy Jackson wrote:
> > "Arpit" > wrote in message news:lj9elvs-
> > :lj9elvsb85 g6l90ff7ig7vhtfqu7ldo-
> > > WHat do you poepl do if you are on a road where there isnt enough room
> > > for a car to safely pass you, but is stuck behind you and driver is
> > > getting ****ed?
> > What I hate more is when there _is_ enough room to pass, but not a hell
> > of a lot, and the f^&wit won't go round, but instead sits two inches off
> > your back wheel. You just know that their frustration level's going to
> > rise to the point where they'll do something stupid. West end of Mowbray
> > road is a typical example.
> > When that happens, I deliberately slow to a snails pace. Once or twice
> > I've actually stopped, and then they suddenly realise there's a whole
> > road there and take off.
> > Regards,
> > Suzy
>
>I take your point. But do you think some drivers would have different
>attitude depending whether the rider is a male or a female?
Oh I dunno, thats pretty much what I do, even if there isnt enough
room to pass me, but if they are honking at me. I just do that untill
they stop honking

wrote:

>Suzy Jackson wrote:
> > "Arpit" > wrote in message news:lj9elvs-
> > :lj9elvsb85 g6l90ff7ig7vhtfqu7ldo-
> > > WHat do you poepl do if you are on a road where there isnt enough room
> > > for a car to safely pass you, but is stuck behind you and driver is
> > > getting ****ed?
> > What I hate more is when there _is_ enough room to pass, but not a hell
> > of a lot, and the f^&wit won't go round, but instead sits two inches off
> > your back wheel. You just know that their frustration level's going to
> > rise to the point where they'll do something stupid. West end of Mowbray
> > road is a typical example.
> > When that happens, I deliberately slow to a snails pace. Once or twice
> > I've actually stopped, and then they suddenly realise there's a whole
> > road there and take off.
> > Regards,
> > Suzy
>
>I take your point. But do you think some drivers would have different
>attitude depending whether the rider is a male or a female?
Oh I dunno, thats pretty much what I do, even if there isnt enough
room to pass me, but if they are honking at me. I just do that untill
they stop honking

Arpit
September 5th 03, 08:03 AM
On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 06:28:28 GMT, Arpit
> wrote:

>On 5 Sep 2003 10:42:27 +0950, amirm >
>wrote:
>
>>Suzy Jackson wrote:
>> > "Arpit" > wrote in message news:lj9elvs-
>> > :lj9elvsb85 g6l90ff7ig7vhtfqu7ldo-
>> > What I hate more is when there _is_ enough room to pass, but not a hell
>> > of a lot, and the f^&wit won't go round, but instead sits two inches off
>> > your back wheel. You just know that their frustration level's going to
>> > rise to the point where they'll do something stupid. West end of Mowbray
>> > road is a typical example.
>> > When that happens, I deliberately slow to a snails pace. Once or twice
>> > I've actually stopped, and then they suddenly realise there's a whole
>> > road there and take off.
>> > Regards,
>> > Suzy
>>
>>I take your point. But do you think some drivers would have different
>>attitude depending whether the rider is a male or a female?
>Oh I dunno, thats pretty much what I do, even if there isnt enough
>room to pass me, but if they are honking at me. I just do that untill
>they stop honking

Heheh, i didnt read the drivers bit :p

Arpit
September 5th 03, 08:03 AM
On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 06:28:28 GMT, Arpit
> wrote:

>On 5 Sep 2003 10:42:27 +0950, amirm >
>wrote:
>
>>Suzy Jackson wrote:
>> > "Arpit" > wrote in message news:lj9elvs-
>> > :lj9elvsb85 g6l90ff7ig7vhtfqu7ldo-
>> > What I hate more is when there _is_ enough room to pass, but not a hell
>> > of a lot, and the f^&wit won't go round, but instead sits two inches off
>> > your back wheel. You just know that their frustration level's going to
>> > rise to the point where they'll do something stupid. West end of Mowbray
>> > road is a typical example.
>> > When that happens, I deliberately slow to a snails pace. Once or twice
>> > I've actually stopped, and then they suddenly realise there's a whole
>> > road there and take off.
>> > Regards,
>> > Suzy
>>
>>I take your point. But do you think some drivers would have different
>>attitude depending whether the rider is a male or a female?
>Oh I dunno, thats pretty much what I do, even if there isnt enough
>room to pass me, but if they are honking at me. I just do that untill
>they stop honking

Heheh, i didnt read the drivers bit :p

22rev
September 5th 03, 11:34 AM
Arpit wrote:
> WHat do you poepl do if you are on a road where there isnt enough room
> for a car to safely pass you, but is stuck behind you and driver is
> getting ****ed?

Well, this happens to me all the time. I am peddling my way into work
and for around 10 kms of the 17km trip I am stuck behind cars that are
hardly moving. They do not generally move out of the way! In fact many
of them intentionally block the cycling lane.

If the boot was on the other foot of course I would move over!

The interesting thing about this is that car drivers tend to get upset
with a slow moving cyclist yet put up with a slow truck or bus.

Kevin

22rev
September 5th 03, 11:34 AM
Arpit wrote:
> WHat do you poepl do if you are on a road where there isnt enough room
> for a car to safely pass you, but is stuck behind you and driver is
> getting ****ed?

Well, this happens to me all the time. I am peddling my way into work
and for around 10 kms of the 17km trip I am stuck behind cars that are
hardly moving. They do not generally move out of the way! In fact many
of them intentionally block the cycling lane.

If the boot was on the other foot of course I would move over!

The interesting thing about this is that car drivers tend to get upset
with a slow moving cyclist yet put up with a slow truck or bus.

Kevin

Alan Erskine
September 5th 03, 04:32 PM
Maybe a more pointed question would be "How do bike riders feel being stuck
in _front_ of a car?"

I know that it scares the living *%$ out of me considering how some drivers
treat other drivers!
--
Alan Erskine
alanerskine(at)optusnet.com.au
Where are the Weapons of Mass
Destruction, Mr Bush?

Alan Erskine
September 5th 03, 04:32 PM
Maybe a more pointed question would be "How do bike riders feel being stuck
in _front_ of a car?"

I know that it scares the living *%$ out of me considering how some drivers
treat other drivers!
--
Alan Erskine
alanerskine(at)optusnet.com.au
Where are the Weapons of Mass
Destruction, Mr Bush?

Arpit
September 6th 03, 01:16 AM
Well yeah, that was really the question, what with it being posted to
a bicycle newsgroup and all ;)

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 01:32:18 +1000, "Alan Erskine"
> wrote:

>Maybe a more pointed question would be "How do bike riders feel being stuck
>in _front_ of a car?"
>
>I know that it scares the living *%$ out of me considering how some drivers
>treat other drivers!

Arpit
September 6th 03, 01:16 AM
Well yeah, that was really the question, what with it being posted to
a bicycle newsgroup and all ;)

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 01:32:18 +1000, "Alan Erskine"
> wrote:

>Maybe a more pointed question would be "How do bike riders feel being stuck
>in _front_ of a car?"
>
>I know that it scares the living *%$ out of me considering how some drivers
>treat other drivers!

John L
September 6th 03, 01:20 PM
And also (wait for it Jose) if she has a nice bum :-)

John L.
>"amirm" > wrote in message
>> I take your point. But do you think some drivers would have different
>> attitude depending whether the rider is a male or a female?

John L
September 6th 03, 01:20 PM
And also (wait for it Jose) if she has a nice bum :-)

John L.
>"amirm" > wrote in message
>> I take your point. But do you think some drivers would have different
>> attitude depending whether the rider is a male or a female?

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home