PDA

View Full Version : New bike - I got it!

Tim Jones
September 6th 03, 05:48 AM
Hello all,

I received my new bike this week - a Giant Yukon 2004. I have had fun
already with it just being able to jump with it and go over obstacles with
ease.

See it here: http://members.iinet.net.au/~catwoman/public_html

Good points about the bike:
* The mechanical disc brakes work wonderfully

* I have cleats and shoes for the first time and they make a huge
difference

* Gear shifting works really nice

* Comes in large sizes (up to 25" frame) - I have the 23" frame (I'm
194cm)

Not so good points:
* Chain whacks the frame when jumping (loud clack noise)

* Forks are adjustable but adjustments don't seem to do much - seem quite
soft all the time. With 100+kgs, the bike bouces a lot if I stand up to
peddal.

Thanks for everyone who gave advice! (esp. Hippy)

Cheers,

Tim

hippy
September 6th 03, 12:46 PM
"Tim Jones" > wrote in message
> I received my new bike this week - a Giant Yukon 2004. I have had fun
> already with it just being able to jump with it and go over obstacles with
> ease.

What? You didn't do that on the Wheeler? :-)

> * The mechanical disc brakes work wonderfully

and look nice... (mmm...me jealous)

> * I have cleats and shoes for the first time and they make a huge
> difference

Yep they do..even though I've gone back to flats for technical
off-road stuff, clipless are great for on the road and general
hacking about.

I scored some Look clipless pedals with the track bike I just
bought, so I might finally fit some non-mtb pedals to my road
bike.. depends on cost though.. and I thought running shoes
were expensive! Nike factory outlet.. here I come! ;-)

> * Gear shifting works really nice

You will need to adjust this after a few weeks to a few months
of riding (depends how often you ride) due to cable stretch.
You will noticed shifts that aren't as sharp as when you first
got the bike - this is almost always due to cable stretch, so don't
let a bike shop try and tell you you need new parts.

> Not so good points:
> * Chain whacks the frame when jumping (loud clack noise)

haha! You need a chainstay protector!
You can buy a sexy looking Lizard Skin one but for maximum
street cred: take an old tube, cut a section out long enough to
cover the chainstay, cut along its length so you have a rectangle
of rubber, wrap this around the chainstay and use zipties to
secure it. This should eliminate most of the chainslap noise.
It'll look better on your bike too being black - mine's red.

> * Forks are adjustable but adjustments don't seem to do much - seem
quite
> soft all the time. With 100+kgs, the bike bouces a lot if I stand up to
> peddal.

My RST forks were the same although yours seem much better.
I'd live with it until you are ready to spend big $$ on schweet forks.
Adjustment is probably pre-load which for road and flat trail use
does bugger all - at least on my RSTs.

You might want to lift up that front light a bit. LEDs are very
directional and are at their brightest when looked at straight
on.

What's the brand of that rear mud-guard? I wouldn't mind
getting one of those...

> Thanks for everyone who gave advice! (esp. Hippy)

Hey that's me! Woo hoo! ;-)

I just hope everything I say helps.. remember it's just my
opinion though and I can be wrong... just don't tell anyone
I said that! :-)

hippy

hippy
September 6th 03, 12:46 PM
"Tim Jones" > wrote in message
> I received my new bike this week - a Giant Yukon 2004. I have had fun
> already with it just being able to jump with it and go over obstacles with
> ease.

What? You didn't do that on the Wheeler? :-)

> * The mechanical disc brakes work wonderfully

and look nice... (mmm...me jealous)

> * I have cleats and shoes for the first time and they make a huge
> difference

Yep they do..even though I've gone back to flats for technical
off-road stuff, clipless are great for on the road and general
hacking about.

I scored some Look clipless pedals with the track bike I just
bought, so I might finally fit some non-mtb pedals to my road
bike.. depends on cost though.. and I thought running shoes
were expensive! Nike factory outlet.. here I come! ;-)

> * Gear shifting works really nice

You will need to adjust this after a few weeks to a few months
of riding (depends how often you ride) due to cable stretch.
You will noticed shifts that aren't as sharp as when you first
got the bike - this is almost always due to cable stretch, so don't
let a bike shop try and tell you you need new parts.

> Not so good points:
> * Chain whacks the frame when jumping (loud clack noise)

haha! You need a chainstay protector!
You can buy a sexy looking Lizard Skin one but for maximum
street cred: take an old tube, cut a section out long enough to
cover the chainstay, cut along its length so you have a rectangle
of rubber, wrap this around the chainstay and use zipties to
secure it. This should eliminate most of the chainslap noise.
It'll look better on your bike too being black - mine's red.

> * Forks are adjustable but adjustments don't seem to do much - seem
quite
> soft all the time. With 100+kgs, the bike bouces a lot if I stand up to
> peddal.

My RST forks were the same although yours seem much better.
I'd live with it until you are ready to spend big $$ on schweet forks.
Adjustment is probably pre-load which for road and flat trail use
does bugger all - at least on my RSTs.

You might want to lift up that front light a bit. LEDs are very
directional and are at their brightest when looked at straight
on.

What's the brand of that rear mud-guard? I wouldn't mind
getting one of those...

> Thanks for everyone who gave advice! (esp. Hippy)

Hey that's me! Woo hoo! ;-)

I just hope everything I say helps.. remember it's just my
opinion though and I can be wrong... just don't tell anyone
I said that! :-)

hippy

gaza
September 7th 03, 01:30 AM
"hippy" > wrote in message
> "Tim Jones" > wrote in message
> > I received my new bike this week - a Giant Yukon 2004.

Interesting that I just got a new bike also this week a Giant Boulder SE.

Settled on a mid range bike. The Giant Boulder SE.
The **** bike shop had it at RRP of $499 (2003 model, 2004 model coming out
soon for Xmas)
&&&&&& had it for RRP$499, on special at $469 (2003)....end of model sale
price.
@@@@@ at #### had none in stock but quoted $425, less 10% discount for
members of my bushwalking club
Qouted it would be the 2004 model and importers had it in stock.
The Boulder SE is a 21 speed. Because it was so cheap at @@@@@ I asked the
price for next model up that had a 24 speed...it was The Rincon at $599. I
ordered the Boulder and when they looked up the availabilty they said the
2004 model was 24 speed anyway with superior components.
Giants website still had all the 2003 specifications so I couldn't tell what
I was getting.

Anyway I picked it up yesterday and it is a 2004 model, it is 24 speed and
it has upgraded components...all for $385.
A better bike and $114 cheaper than the first one I looked at.
I'm a happy little biker.....off on the club ride next weekend around Mt
Warning.

It even has a neat hole in the seat to accomodate my "extras"

gaza
September 7th 03, 01:30 AM
"hippy" > wrote in message
> "Tim Jones" > wrote in message
> > I received my new bike this week - a Giant Yukon 2004.

Interesting that I just got a new bike also this week a Giant Boulder SE.

Settled on a mid range bike. The Giant Boulder SE.
The **** bike shop had it at RRP of $499 (2003 model, 2004 model coming out
soon for Xmas)
&&&&&& had it for RRP$499, on special at $469 (2003)....end of model sale
price.
@@@@@ at #### had none in stock but quoted $425, less 10% discount for
members of my bushwalking club
Qouted it would be the 2004 model and importers had it in stock.
The Boulder SE is a 21 speed. Because it was so cheap at @@@@@ I asked the
price for next model up that had a 24 speed...it was The Rincon at $599. I
ordered the Boulder and when they looked up the availabilty they said the
2004 model was 24 speed anyway with superior components.
Giants website still had all the 2003 specifications so I couldn't tell what
I was getting.

Anyway I picked it up yesterday and it is a 2004 model, it is 24 speed and
it has upgraded components...all for $385.
A better bike and $114 cheaper than the first one I looked at.
I'm a happy little biker.....off on the club ride next weekend around Mt
Warning.

It even has a neat hole in the seat to accomodate my "extras"

Tim Jones
September 7th 03, 01:59 AM
"hippy" > wrote in message
> "Tim Jones" > wrote in message
> > I received my new bike this week - a Giant Yukon 2004. I have had fun
> > already with it just being able to jump with it and go over obstacles
with
> > ease.
>
> What? You didn't do that on the Wheeler? :-)
>
> > * The mechanical disc brakes work wonderfully
>
> and look nice... (mmm...me jealous)
>
> > * I have cleats and shoes for the first time and they make a huge
> > difference
>
> Yep they do..even though I've gone back to flats for technical
> off-road stuff, clipless are great for on the road and general
> hacking about.
>
> I scored some Look clipless pedals with the track bike I just
> bought, so I might finally fit some non-mtb pedals to my road
> bike.. depends on cost though.. and I thought running shoes
> were expensive! Nike factory outlet.. here I come! ;-)
>
> > * Gear shifting works really nice
>
> You will need to adjust this after a few weeks to a few months
> of riding (depends how often you ride) due to cable stretch.
> You will noticed shifts that aren't as sharp as when you first
> got the bike - this is almost always due to cable stretch, so don't
> let a bike shop try and tell you you need new parts.

Yeah, I get one year free service from the LBS, and they suggested bringing
it back in after 2-3 decent rides for just this.

> > Not so good points:
> > * Chain whacks the frame when jumping (loud clack noise)
>
> haha! You need a chainstay protector!
> You can buy a sexy looking Lizard Skin one but for maximum
> street cred: take an old tube, cut a section out long enough to
> cover the chainstay, cut along its length so you have a rectangle
> of rubber, wrap this around the chainstay and use zipties to
> secure it. This should eliminate most of the chainslap noise.
> It'll look better on your bike too being black - mine's red.

Will do. Unfortunately, I turfed my collection of about 8 holed road tubes
once I got this bike.

> > * Forks are adjustable but adjustments don't seem to do much - seem
> quite
> > soft all the time. With 100+kgs, the bike bouces a lot if I stand up to
> > peddal.
>
> My RST forks were the same although yours seem much better.
> I'd live with it until you are ready to spend big $$ on schweet forks.
> Adjustment is probably pre-load which for road and flat trail use
> does bugger all - at least on my RSTs.

Yeah, this is what I figured. It's very comfortable off road however.

> You might want to lift up that front light a bit. LEDs are very
> directional and are at their brightest when looked at straight
> on.
>
> What's the brand of that rear mud-guard? I wouldn't mind
> getting one of those...

It's a Zefal Flamingo - it has worked very well for about 6 years.

> > Thanks for everyone who gave advice! (esp. Hippy)
>
> Hey that's me! Woo hoo! ;-)
>
> I just hope everything I say helps.. remember it's just my
> opinion though and I can be wrong... just don't tell anyone
> I said that! :-)

You secret is safe with me ;-)

Tim

Tim Jones
September 7th 03, 01:59 AM
"hippy" > wrote in message
> [...]

> > peddal.
>
> My RST forks were the same although yours seem much better.
> I'd live with it until you are ready to spend big $$ on schweet forks.
> Adjustment is probably pre-load which for road and flat trail use
> does bugger all - at least on my RSTs.

Yeah, this is what I figured. It's very comfortable off road however.

> You might want to lift up that front light a bit. LEDs are very
> directional and are at their brightest when looked at straight
> on.
>
> What's the brand of that rear mud-guard? I wouldn't mind
> getting one of those...

It's a Zefal Flamingo - it has worked very well for about 6 years.

> > Thanks for everyone who gave advice! (esp. Hippy)
>
> Hey that's me! Woo hoo! ;-)
>
> I just hope everything I say helps.. remember it's just my
> opinion though and I can be wrong... just don't tell anyone

You secret is safe with me ;-)

Tim

Tim Jones
September 7th 03, 02:02 AM
"gaza" > wrote in message

> "hippy" > wrote in message
> > "Tim Jones" > wrote in message
> > > I received my new bike this week - a Giant Yukon 2004.
>
> Interesting that I just got a new bike also this week a Giant Boulder SE.
>
> Settled on a mid range bike. The Giant Boulder SE.
> The **** bike shop had it at RRP of $499 (2003 model, 2004 model coming
out
> soon for Xmas)
> &&&&&& had it for RRP$499, on special at $469 (2003)....end of model sale
> price.
> @@@@@ at #### had none in stock but quoted $425, less 10% discount for
> members of my bushwalking club
> Qouted it would be the 2004 model and importers had it in stock.
> The Boulder SE is a 21 speed. Because it was so cheap at @@@@@ I asked the
> price for next model up that had a 24 speed...it was The Rincon at $599. I
> ordered the Boulder and when they looked up the availabilty they said the
> 2004 model was 24 speed anyway with superior components.
> Giants website still had all the 2003 specifications so I couldn't tell
what
> I was getting.
>
> Anyway I picked it up yesterday and it is a 2004 model, it is 24 speed and
> it has upgraded components...all for $385.
> A better bike and $114 cheaper than the first one I looked at.
> I'm a happy little biker.....off on the club ride next weekend around Mt
> Warning.

Similar sort of thing here - I saw a 2003 Giant Yukon on special for $799 -
the rec retail for the 2004 Yukon is $769.

Ended up getting the bike with decent MTB shoes, pedals and bar ends for
$900.

"gaza" > wrote in message

> "hippy" > wrote in message
> > "Tim Jones" > wrote in message
> > > I received my new bike this week - a Giant Yukon 2004.
>
> Interesting that I just got a new bike also this week a Giant Boulder SE.
>
> Settled on a mid range bike. The Giant Boulder SE.
> The **** bike shop had it at RRP of $499 (2003 model, 2004 model coming
out
> soon for Xmas)
> &&&&&& had it for RRP$499, on special at $469 (2003)....end of model sale
> price.
> @@@@@ at #### had none in stock but quoted $425, less 10% discount for
> members of my bushwalking club
> Qouted it would be the 2004 model and importers had it in stock.
> The Boulder SE is a 21 speed. Because it was so cheap at @@@@@ I asked the
> price for next model up that had a 24 speed...it was The Rincon at $599. I
> ordered the Boulder and when they looked up the availabilty they said the
> 2004 model was 24 speed anyway with superior components.
> Giants website still had all the 2003 specifications so I couldn't tell
what
> I was getting.
>
> Anyway I picked it up yesterday and it is a 2004 model, it is 24 speed and
> it has upgraded components...all for $385.
> A better bike and $114 cheaper than the first one I looked at.
> I'm a happy little biker.....off on the club ride next weekend around Mt
> Warning.

Similar sort of thing here - I saw a 2003 Giant Yukon on special for $799 -
the rec retail for the 2004 Yukon is $769.

Ended up getting the bike with decent MTB shoes, pedals and bar ends for
$900.

> It even has a neat hole in the seat to accomodate my "extras"

Tim

its_stuart
September 16th 03, 04:43 AM
Nice bike for the bucks Tim well done :)

its_stuart
September 16th 03, 04:43 AM
Nice bike for the bucks Tim well done :)

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home