September 8th 03, 12:59 PM
http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/TRANSPORT/motorwhl/motorwhl.htm

David

hippy
September 8th 03, 01:59 PM
"David S. Maddison" > wrote in
message ...

> http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/TRANSPORT/motorwhl/motorwhl.htm

Scroll down near the end to the V8 one.. there's a 1.5mb video clip
of it in action.

hippy

hippy
September 8th 03, 01:59 PM
"David S. Maddison" > wrote in
message ...

> http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/TRANSPORT/motorwhl/motorwhl.htm

Scroll down near the end to the V8 one.. there's a 1.5mb video clip
of it in action.

hippy

Deep Flayed Mares
September 9th 03, 01:46 AM
hippy > wrote in message
> "David S. Maddison" > wrote in
> message ...
> >
> > http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/TRANSPORT/motorwhl/motorwhl.htm
>
> Scroll down near the end to the V8 one.. there's a 1.5mb video clip
> of it in action.

The idea is interesting, but just a few too many flaws for it to ever be
workable! I be he never truly opens up the V8. It might as well be a
lawnmower engine! Plus how the hell do you stop in a hurry?
---
DFM

Deep Flayed Mares
September 9th 03, 01:46 AM
hippy > wrote in message
> "David S. Maddison" > wrote in
> message ...
> >
> > http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/TRANSPORT/motorwhl/motorwhl.htm
>
> Scroll down near the end to the V8 one.. there's a 1.5mb video clip
> of it in action.

The idea is interesting, but just a few too many flaws for it to ever be
workable! I be he never truly opens up the V8. It might as well be a
lawnmower engine! Plus how the hell do you stop in a hurry?
---
DFM

hippy
September 9th 03, 02:15 AM
"Deep Flayed Mares" > wrote in
message news:0A97b.2642
> The idea is interesting, but just a few too many flaws for it to ever
be
> workable! I be he never truly opens up the V8. It might as well be a
> lawnmower engine! Plus how the hell do you stop in a hurry?

Hit the brakes at speed without sufficient weight down
the bottom and watch it roll over and over... :-)
Could be painful, but looks cool!

hippy

hippy
September 9th 03, 02:15 AM
"Deep Flayed Mares" > wrote in
message news:0A97b.2642
> The idea is interesting, but just a few too many flaws for it to ever
be
> workable! I be he never truly opens up the V8. It might as well be a
> lawnmower engine! Plus how the hell do you stop in a hurry?

Hit the brakes at speed without sufficient weight down
the bottom and watch it roll over and over... :-)
Could be painful, but looks cool!

hippy

Gary K
September 9th 03, 02:58 AM
Deep Flayed Mares > wrote:

> hippy > wrote in message
> > "David S. Maddison" > wrote in
> > message ...
> > >
> > > http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/TRANSPORT/motorwhl/motorwhl.htm
> >
> > Scroll down near the end to the V8 one.. there's a 1.5mb video clip
> > of it in action.
>
> The idea is interesting, but just a few too many flaws for it to ever be
> workable! I be he never truly opens up the V8. It might as well be a
> lawnmower engine! Plus how the hell do you stop in a hurry?

Put on the brakes then lay it down, like a penny. (My guess)
It would look hillarious if he ever did open up the V8 ;)
I think the design needs an outrigger that swings out to the front that
stops gerbilling under heavy braking. (er.. gerbilling, where the inside
and outside lockup and the whole thing barrels along). But then it
wouldn't be a "mono" wheel.
A couple of years ago during the Tour de France telecast they showed
some of the pre race show. There was a bicycle monowheel, the guy was
inducing gerbilling deliberately, looks great fun.

Gary K
September 9th 03, 02:58 AM
Deep Flayed Mares > wrote:

> hippy > wrote in message
> > "David S. Maddison" > wrote in
> > message ...
> > >
> > > http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/TRANSPORT/motorwhl/motorwhl.htm
> >
> > Scroll down near the end to the V8 one.. there's a 1.5mb video clip
> > of it in action.
>
> The idea is interesting, but just a few too many flaws for it to ever be
> workable! I be he never truly opens up the V8. It might as well be a
> lawnmower engine! Plus how the hell do you stop in a hurry?

Put on the brakes then lay it down, like a penny. (My guess)
It would look hillarious if he ever did open up the V8 ;)
I think the design needs an outrigger that swings out to the front that
stops gerbilling under heavy braking. (er.. gerbilling, where the inside
and outside lockup and the whole thing barrels along). But then it
wouldn't be a "mono" wheel.
A couple of years ago during the Tour de France telecast they showed
some of the pre race show. There was a bicycle monowheel, the guy was
inducing gerbilling deliberately, looks great fun.

Andrew Swan
September 9th 03, 09:20 AM
David S. Maddison wrote:
> http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/TRANSPORT/motorwhl/motorwhl.htm
>
> David

These things remind me of that thing Mr Garrison invented in an episode
of South Park - although these ones look more comfortable to ride than
his version (if you've seen the episode, you'll know what I mean). ;-)

&roo

Andrew Swan
September 9th 03, 09:20 AM
David S. Maddison wrote:
> http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/TRANSPORT/motorwhl/motorwhl.htm
>
> David

These things remind me of that thing Mr Garrison invented in an episode
of South Park - although these ones look more comfortable to ride than
his version (if you've seen the episode, you'll know what I mean). ;-)

&roo

John Doe
September 9th 03, 11:58 PM
: These things remind me of that thing Mr Garrison invented in an episode
: of South Park - although these ones look more comfortable to ride than
: his version (if you've seen the episode, you'll know what I mean). ;-)
:

Heheh. Yeah. I have seen that one.

John Doe
September 9th 03, 11:58 PM
: These things remind me of that thing Mr Garrison invented in an episode
: of South Park - although these ones look more comfortable to ride than
: his version (if you've seen the episode, you'll know what I mean). ;-)
:

Heheh. Yeah. I have seen that one.

Tim Jones
September 13th 03, 03:22 AM
"Andrew Swan" > wrote in message
> David S. Maddison wrote:
> > http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/TRANSPORT/motorwhl/motorwhl.htm
> >
> > David
>
> These things remind me of that thing Mr Garrison invented in an episode
> of South Park - although these ones look more comfortable to ride than
> his version (if you've seen the episode, you'll know what I mean). ;-)
>
> &roo

Yes, that's right, it was a monowheel!

It was a **** take on the Segway hype.

Which brings me to another point, why would you want a Segway? Aren't there
enough lard arses around already? Doesn't a bike or motor bike (even an
electric one) fit most of the requirements for the Segway market? Can't be
that safe if the leader of western civilisation can't balance on the thing
;-)

Tim

Tim Jones
September 13th 03, 03:22 AM
"Andrew Swan" > wrote in message
> David S. Maddison wrote:
> > http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/TRANSPORT/motorwhl/motorwhl.htm
> >
> > David
>
> These things remind me of that thing Mr Garrison invented in an episode
> of South Park - although these ones look more comfortable to ride than
> his version (if you've seen the episode, you'll know what I mean). ;-)
>
> &roo

Yes, that's right, it was a monowheel!

It was a **** take on the Segway hype.

Which brings me to another point, why would you want a Segway? Aren't there
enough lard arses around already? Doesn't a bike or motor bike (even an
electric one) fit most of the requirements for the Segway market? Can't be
that safe if the leader of western civilisation can't balance on the thing
;-)

Tim

Al User
September 13th 03, 04:50 AM
Tim Jones wrote:

> "Andrew Swan" > wrote in message
>
>>David S. Maddison wrote:
>>
>>>http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/TRANSPORT/motorwhl/motorwhl.htm
>>>
>>>David
>>
>>These things remind me of that thing Mr Garrison invented in an episode
>>of South Park - although these ones look more comfortable to ride than
>>his version (if you've seen the episode, you'll know what I mean). ;-)
>>
>>&roo
>>
> Yes, that's right, it was a monowheel!
>
> It was a **** take on the Segway hype.
>
> Which brings me to another point, why would you want a Segway? Aren't there
> enough lard arses around already? Doesn't a bike or motor bike (even an
> electric one) fit most of the requirements for the Segway market? Can't be
> that safe if the leader of western civilisation can't balance on the thing
> ;-)
>
> Tim

THe Segway was the mass market offshoot of a brilliant wheelchair project.
They wanted a "stairwalker" wheelchair, so started with what looked like a
chair balanced on fridge trolley axle set and some gyros & smarts to maintain
the centre of gravity of the chair (and user). (See bad ascii art)

|__
o o
They soon realised that the third wheel was not needed as long as the wheel
diameters were at least the hight of a step. (More ascii art)
| | | |
| |__ |__ |__ |__ O | O | O |
|__ O | O | O | \ __ | __ /____O--O__
| __ \ __ | __ /____O--O_____O| O| O|
O--O| O| O| O|

When playing around during testing they found that by leaning side to side or
forward-backward with the wheels in vertical setting, they could make the
chair move without needing the controls. That led to the Segway.
Don't know what happened to the wheelchair project....

Al

Al User
September 13th 03, 04:50 AM
Tim Jones wrote:

> "Andrew Swan" > wrote in message
>
>>David S. Maddison wrote:
>>
>>>http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/TRANSPORT/motorwhl/motorwhl.htm
>>>
>>>David
>>
>>These things remind me of that thing Mr Garrison invented in an episode
>>of South Park - although these ones look more comfortable to ride than
>>his version (if you've seen the episode, you'll know what I mean). ;-)
>>
>>&roo
>>
> Yes, that's right, it was a monowheel!
>
> It was a **** take on the Segway hype.
>
> Which brings me to another point, why would you want a Segway? Aren't there
> enough lard arses around already? Doesn't a bike or motor bike (even an
> electric one) fit most of the requirements for the Segway market? Can't be
> that safe if the leader of western civilisation can't balance on the thing
> ;-)
>
> Tim

THe Segway was the mass market offshoot of a brilliant wheelchair project.
They wanted a "stairwalker" wheelchair, so started with what looked like a
chair balanced on fridge trolley axle set and some gyros & smarts to maintain
the centre of gravity of the chair (and user). (See bad ascii art)

|__
o o
They soon realised that the third wheel was not needed as long as the wheel
diameters were at least the hight of a step. (More ascii art)
| | | |
| |__ |__ |__ |__ O | O | O |
|__ O | O | O | \ __ | __ /____O--O__
| __ \ __ | __ /____O--O_____O| O| O|
O--O| O| O| O|

When playing around during testing they found that by leaning side to side or
forward-backward with the wheels in vertical setting, they could make the
chair move without needing the controls. That led to the Segway.
Don't know what happened to the wheelchair project....

Al

Liz
September 13th 03, 11:02 AM
Would this be the wheelchair?
http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/08/14/stair.climbing.wheelchair.ap/
Liz

"Al User" > wrote in message
> THe Segway was the mass market offshoot of a brilliant wheelchair project.
> They wanted a "stairwalker" wheelchair, so started with what looked like a
> chair balanced on fridge trolley axle set and some gyros & smarts to
maintain
> the centre of gravity of the chair (and user). (See bad ascii art)
> |
> |__
> o o
> They soon realised that the third wheel was not needed as long as the
wheel
> diameters were at least the hight of a step. (More ascii art)
> | | | |
> | |__ |__ |__ |__ O | O | O |
> |__ O | O | O | \ __ | __ /____O--O__
> | __ \ __ | __ /____O--O_____O| O| O|
> O--O| O| O| O|
>
> When playing around during testing they found that by leaning side to side
or
> forward-backward with the wheels in vertical setting, they could make the
> chair move without needing the controls. That led to the Segway.
> Don't know what happened to the wheelchair project....
>
> Al

Al User
September 13th 03, 04:16 PM
Liz wrote:

> "Al User" > wrote in message
>
>>THe Segway was the mass market offshoot of a brilliant wheelchair project.
>>They wanted a "stairwalker" wheelchair, so started with what looked like a
>>chair balanced on fridge trolley axle set and some gyros & smarts .....
<snipped>
>>Don't know what happened to the wheelchair project....
>>
>>Al
>
> Would this be the wheelchair?
> http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/08/14/stair.climbing.wheelchair.ap
> Liz

Yup Liz, that's the one. Dean Kamen! Doh! I had that on the tip...
I should have googled but had too much fun trying to do the ascii art;-)

I'm surprised to see that it has taken Kamen this long to get it approved.
I remember hearing about the original project a few years ago.

Al.

Al User
September 13th 03, 04:16 PM
Liz wrote:

> "Al User" > wrote in message
>
>>THe Segway was the mass market offshoot of a brilliant wheelchair project.
>>They wanted a "stairwalker" wheelchair, so started with what looked like a
>>chair balanced on fridge trolley axle set and some gyros & smarts .....
<snipped>
>>Don't know what happened to the wheelchair project....
>>
>>Al
>
> Would this be the wheelchair?
> http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/08/14/stair.climbing.wheelchair.ap
> Liz

Yup Liz, that's the one. Dean Kamen! Doh! I had that on the tip...
I should have googled but had too much fun trying to do the ascii art;-)

I'm surprised to see that it has taken Kamen this long to get it approved.
I remember hearing about the original project a few years ago.

Al.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home