PDA

View Full Version : Chain Problems

Gags
September 10th 03, 10:50 AM
On the weekend, I had my mountain bike serviced (first one after 1800km of
commuting to and from work on the Yarra Trail). I rode to work on Monday and
it was great.......smooth shifts.......brakes that actually pulled me up in
a hurry (although they are noisy as all hell.......think I need to give them
a bit of "toe in").

Anyway, I was on my way home tonight, accelerating out of a corner, and the
next thing I know I am spinning the pedals and nothing is happening. One of
the links had come undone and my chain was sitting on the bike path!!!!!!!

Should I blame the bike shop for not joining the chain properly after the
service given that I had only done 78km since the service??? Or is it
possible that one of the other links (ie. not the one that they broke to get
the chain off) spontaneously decided to give way?? I did have a link start
to peel apart on my road bike last year in Canberra (chain was replaced
under warranty) so I am wondering if it is a common occurence for bigger
guys (I am 195cm and 97 or so kg - easily over 100kg with loaded backpack).
Has anyone ever heard of this being a problem for heavier people??

Gags

John Doe
September 10th 03, 11:24 AM
to peel apart on my road bike last year in Canberra (chain was replaced
: under warranty) so I am wondering if it is a common occurence for bigger
: guys (I am 195cm and 97 or so kg - easily over 100kg with loaded
backpack).
: Has anyone ever heard of this being a problem for heavier people??
:

I am 105kg and I have had it happen but I doubt it had anything to do with
my weight. I ride 42km's a day on commute with hills. I had it happen when
I must not have put it back on properly after a chain clean. I found that
it happened about 60 or so k's after I did it. I actually ended up buying
one of those cool links that you can do up and undo easily. I also keep one
in my tool kit... just in case.

John Doe
September 10th 03, 11:24 AM
to peel apart on my road bike last year in Canberra (chain was replaced
: under warranty) so I am wondering if it is a common occurence for bigger
: guys (I am 195cm and 97 or so kg - easily over 100kg with loaded
backpack).
: Has anyone ever heard of this being a problem for heavier people??
:

I am 105kg and I have had it happen but I doubt it had anything to do with
my weight. I ride 42km's a day on commute with hills. I had it happen when
I must not have put it back on properly after a chain clean. I found that
it happened about 60 or so k's after I did it. I actually ended up buying
one of those cool links that you can do up and undo easily. I also keep one
in my tool kit... just in case.

NickZX6R
September 10th 03, 11:27 AM
Gags > wrote:
> On the weekend, I had my mountain bike serviced (first one after 1800km of
> commuting to and from work on the Yarra Trail). I rode to work on Monday and
> it was great.......smooth shifts.......brakes that actually pulled me up in
> a hurry (although they are noisy as all hell.......think I need to give them
> a bit of "toe in").

> Anyway, I was on my way home tonight, accelerating out of a corner, and the
> next thing I know I am spinning the pedals and nothing is happening. One of
> the links had come undone and my chain was sitting on the bike path!!!!!!!

> Should I blame the bike shop for not joining the chain properly after the
> service given that I had only done 78km since the service??? Or is it
> possible that one of the other links (ie. not the one that they broke to get
> the chain off) spontaneously decided to give way?? I did have a link start
> to peel apart on my road bike last year in Canberra (chain was replaced
> under warranty) so I am wondering if it is a common occurence for bigger
> guys (I am 195cm and 97 or so kg - easily over 100kg with loaded backpack).
> Has anyone ever heard of this being a problem for heavier people??

> Gags

Dunno whether this is a common thing or not - I've never known anyone who's
broken a chain (except in a crash).

But I doubt that the servicing had anything to do with it. Unless there
was a specific reason, I don't think they'd take the chain off for a
service. Especially since after 1800kms it's probably only cable adjustments
that are needed.

Maybe you've just got _really_ strong legs :)

Cheers
-Nick

NickZX6R
September 10th 03, 11:27 AM
Gags > wrote:
> On the weekend, I had my mountain bike serviced (first one after 1800km of
> commuting to and from work on the Yarra Trail). I rode to work on Monday and
> it was great.......smooth shifts.......brakes that actually pulled me up in
> a hurry (although they are noisy as all hell.......think I need to give them
> a bit of "toe in").

> Anyway, I was on my way home tonight, accelerating out of a corner, and the
> next thing I know I am spinning the pedals and nothing is happening. One of
> the links had come undone and my chain was sitting on the bike path!!!!!!!

> Should I blame the bike shop for not joining the chain properly after the
> service given that I had only done 78km since the service??? Or is it
> possible that one of the other links (ie. not the one that they broke to get
> the chain off) spontaneously decided to give way?? I did have a link start
> to peel apart on my road bike last year in Canberra (chain was replaced
> under warranty) so I am wondering if it is a common occurence for bigger
> guys (I am 195cm and 97 or so kg - easily over 100kg with loaded backpack).
> Has anyone ever heard of this being a problem for heavier people??

> Gags

Dunno whether this is a common thing or not - I've never known anyone who's
broken a chain (except in a crash).

But I doubt that the servicing had anything to do with it. Unless there
was a specific reason, I don't think they'd take the chain off for a
service. Especially since after 1800kms it's probably only cable adjustments
that are needed.

Maybe you've just got _really_ strong legs :)

Cheers
-Nick

Nicholas & Domino
September 10th 03, 01:09 PM
"Gags" > wrote in message
[...]

no offence but it's a little unlikely that it's your legs or weight -
imagine the power Baden Cooke is unleashing in a sprint....
I've seen a buddy snap a chain - he missed a shift and obviously the chain
recieved more sideward loading than it could cope with. In his instance it
happened all at once, but I'd imagine it'd be possible that you may have
done the same while ago but the chain held together until something, or just
time, caused it to let go.
Of course no product is perfect - maybe you got a dud chain?

nick

Nicholas & Domino
September 10th 03, 01:09 PM
"Gags" > wrote in message
[...]

Deep Flayed Mares
September 10th 03, 01:41 PM
Gags > wrote in message
> On the weekend, I had my mountain bike serviced (first one after 1800km of
> commuting to and from work on the Yarra Trail). I rode to work on Monday
and
> it was great.......smooth shifts.......brakes that actually pulled me up
in
> a hurry (although they are noisy as all hell.......think I need to give
them
> a bit of "toe in").
>
> Anyway, I was on my way home tonight, accelerating out of a corner, and
the
> next thing I know I am spinning the pedals and nothing is happening. One
of
> the links had come undone and my chain was sitting on the bike path!!!!!!!
>
> Should I blame the bike shop for not joining the chain properly after the
> service given that I had only done 78km since the service??? Or is it
> possible that one of the other links (ie. not the one that they broke to
get
> the chain off) spontaneously decided to give way?? I did have a link
start
> to peel apart on my road bike last year in Canberra (chain was replaced
> under warranty) so I am wondering if it is a common occurence for bigger
> guys (I am 195cm and 97 or so kg - easily over 100kg with loaded
backpack).
> Has anyone ever heard of this being a problem for heavier people??

I am around 90 kgs, and had broken the chain on my shogun about 3 times.
Bought a new one, and have had no probs since.

I wouldn't mess around if I were you. For about $25 you can get a good chain
that should not break. Anything cheaper than that is probably junk. You have
done 1800 km? That might mean your rear gear cluster will have to be
replaced too. My bike had done about 1000 km, and didn't need a new cluster
with the new chain.

Whether you can pin it on the bike shop is a bit doubtful. Did they need to
break the chain for any particular reason? I avoid ever taking a chain off
unless it is really necessary. The process of pushing the pins in and out
can often result in a damaged link, as may have happened in your case.
---
DFM

Deep Flayed Mares
September 10th 03, 01:41 PM
Gags > wrote in message
> On the weekend, I had my mountain bike serviced (first one after 1800km of
> commuting to and from work on the Yarra Trail). I rode to work on Monday
and
> it was great.......smooth shifts.......brakes that actually pulled me up
in
> a hurry (although they are noisy as all hell.......think I need to give
them
> a bit of "toe in").
>
> Anyway, I was on my way home tonight, accelerating out of a corner, and
the
> next thing I know I am spinning the pedals and nothing is happening. One
of
> the links had come undone and my chain was sitting on the bike path!!!!!!!
>
> Should I blame the bike shop for not joining the chain properly after the
> service given that I had only done 78km since the service??? Or is it
> possible that one of the other links (ie. not the one that they broke to
get
> the chain off) spontaneously decided to give way?? I did have a link
start
> to peel apart on my road bike last year in Canberra (chain was replaced
> under warranty) so I am wondering if it is a common occurence for bigger
> guys (I am 195cm and 97 or so kg - easily over 100kg with loaded
backpack).
> Has anyone ever heard of this being a problem for heavier people??

I am around 90 kgs, and had broken the chain on my shogun about 3 times.
Bought a new one, and have had no probs since.

I wouldn't mess around if I were you. For about $25 you can get a good chain
that should not break. Anything cheaper than that is probably junk. You have
done 1800 km? That might mean your rear gear cluster will have to be
replaced too. My bike had done about 1000 km, and didn't need a new cluster
with the new chain.

Whether you can pin it on the bike shop is a bit doubtful. Did they need to
break the chain for any particular reason? I avoid ever taking a chain off
unless it is really necessary. The process of pushing the pins in and out
can often result in a damaged link, as may have happened in your case.
---
DFM

Gary K
September 10th 03, 03:58 PM
Its not a common occurence, chains that are joined properly never break.
You're weight isnt an issue. I haven't had a chain breakage in 80,000km
(not same chain), because I'm the only one who joins them and make sure
the job is done properly, with the right amount of pin protrusion on
both plates. ( I've had a few breakages before 10 years ago, when I was
careless). I'd say your chain broke at where the dufus joined it, as
there's no reason to break elsewhere.

Gags > wrote:

> On the weekend, I had my mountain bike serviced (first one after 1800km of
> commuting to and from work on the Yarra Trail). I rode to work on Monday and
> it was great.......smooth shifts.......brakes that actually pulled me up in
> a hurry (although they are noisy as all hell.......think I need to give them
> a bit of "toe in").
>
> Anyway, I was on my way home tonight, accelerating out of a corner, and the
> next thing I know I am spinning the pedals and nothing is happening. One of
> the links had come undone and my chain was sitting on the bike path!!!!!!!
>
> Should I blame the bike shop for not joining the chain properly after the
> service given that I had only done 78km since the service??? Or is it
> possible that one of the other links (ie. not the one that they broke to get
> the chain off) spontaneously decided to give way?? I did have a link start
> to peel apart on my road bike last year in Canberra (chain was replaced
> under warranty) so I am wondering if it is a common occurence for bigger
> guys (I am 195cm and 97 or so kg - easily over 100kg with loaded backpack).
> Has anyone ever heard of this being a problem for heavier people??
>
> Gags

amirm
September 10th 03, 11:52 PM
Gags wrote:
> On the weekend, I had my mountain bike serviced (first one after 1800km
> of commuting to and from work on the Yarra Trail). I rode to work on
> Monday and it was great.......smooth shifts.......brakes that actually
> pulled me up in a hurry (although they are noisy as all hell.......think
> I need to give them a bit of "toe in").
> Anyway, I was on my way home tonight, accelerating out of a corner, and
> the next thing I know I am spinning the pedals and nothing is happening.
> One of the links had come undone and my chain was sitting on the bike
> path!!!!!!!
> Should I blame the bike shop for not joining the chain properly after
> the service given that I had only done 78km since the service??? Or is
> it possible that one of the other links (ie. not the one that they broke
> to get the chain off) spontaneously decided to give way?? I did have a
> link start to peel apart on my road bike last year in Canberra (chain
> was replaced under warranty) so I am wondering if it is a common
> occurence for bigger guys (I am 195cm and 97 or so kg - easily over
> 100kg with loaded backpack). Has anyone ever heard of this being a
> problem for heavier people??
> Gags

A few things that I can throw in:

1. My previous commuting bike came stock with a Shimano IG30 chain.
After about 200 km, one day on my way back home I was waiting at the
traffic light. Upon starting to push, I heard a clunk noise, and
when I had a look, the joining pin had escaped one of the link
plates, and because of the pressure, the othe link involved in that
point was bent. The bike shop changed it under warranty, but notebly
they said that certain Shimano joining pins were notorious for doing
that, and they put some aftermarket (reliable) pin. Never had that
problem again.

2. I doubt that they removed the chain for cleaning. Usually they do it
on the bike. But you can still take the bike back. One way or other
the repair should be covered under warranty (given that for most of
brands they give 1 year warranty, and I hope you have got one).

3. If the pin on your broken chain (the pin at the broken link) is not
lost, you may be able to see whether it is the one like all other
pins in the chain, or is the one that they used to close the chain.
All pins on the chain links will look identical except the one that
is used by the mechanic/owner. It looks different. It's hard to
describe, but if you see it, you can tell. That could help to see
whether there was a fault with the chain, or with the way the put
the chain together.

amirm
September 10th 03, 11:52 PM
Gags wrote:
> On the weekend, I had my mountain bike serviced (first one after 1800km
> of commuting to and from work on the Yarra Trail). I rode to work on
> Monday and it was great.......smooth shifts.......brakes that actually
> pulled me up in a hurry (although they are noisy as all hell.......think
> I need to give them a bit of "toe in").
> Anyway, I was on my way home tonight, accelerating out of a corner, and
> the next thing I know I am spinning the pedals and nothing is happening.
> One of the links had come undone and my chain was sitting on the bike
> path!!!!!!!
> Should I blame the bike shop for not joining the chain properly after
> the service given that I had only done 78km since the service??? Or is
> it possible that one of the other links (ie. not the one that they broke
> to get the chain off) spontaneously decided to give way?? I did have a
> link start to peel apart on my road bike last year in Canberra (chain
> was replaced under warranty) so I am wondering if it is a common
> occurence for bigger guys (I am 195cm and 97 or so kg - easily over
> 100kg with loaded backpack). Has anyone ever heard of this being a
> problem for heavier people??
> Gags

A few things that I can throw in:

1. My previous commuting bike came stock with a Shimano IG30 chain.
After about 200 km, one day on my way back home I was waiting at the
traffic light. Upon starting to push, I heard a clunk noise, and
when I had a look, the joining pin had escaped one of the link
plates, and because of the pressure, the othe link involved in that
point was bent. The bike shop changed it under warranty, but notebly
they said that certain Shimano joining pins were notorious for doing
that, and they put some aftermarket (reliable) pin. Never had that
problem again.

2. I doubt that they removed the chain for cleaning. Usually they do it
on the bike. But you can still take the bike back. One way or other
the repair should be covered under warranty (given that for most of
brands they give 1 year warranty, and I hope you have got one).

3. If the pin on your broken chain (the pin at the broken link) is not
lost, you may be able to see whether it is the one like all other
pins in the chain, or is the one that they used to close the chain.
All pins on the chain links will look identical except the one that
is used by the mechanic/owner. It looks different. It's hard to
describe, but if you see it, you can tell. That could help to see
whether there was a fault with the chain, or with the way the put
the chain together.

John Doe
September 11th 03, 12:27 AM
probably junk. You have
: done 1800 km? That might mean your rear gear cluster will have to be
: replaced too. My bike had done about 1000 km, and didn't need a new
cluster
: with the new chain.

You should not need a new cluster at 1800km unless you have been constantly
riding through dirt and mud with no cleaning. Anyway as I said if the pin
is not replaced correctly then it can come out as I have experienced.

:
: Whether you can pin it on the bike shop is a bit doubtful. Did they need
: break the chain for any particular reason? I avoid ever taking a chain off
: unless it is really necessary. The process of pushing the pins in and out
: can often result in a damaged link, as may have happened in your case.

I personally find it necessary to remove to clean it. I bought a removable
link and keep one in my tool bag for good measure. You can use this link to
remove the chain and they are strong. I am 105kg and have some steep kinks
in the road that require me to really stand on it and I have never broken
the removable link. Constantly removing pins and putting them back in is
probably asking for trouble hence the link.

Pete

[...]

September 11th 03, 12:29 AM
: Yes, I have had similar problems on a tandem. The
: simplest solution is called a chain-breaker, costs about $10 for a bike
: shop, then you can do it yourself, anywhere, anytime.
: Regards,
: Ray.

Agree. A chain breaker is a must on your carry on tools. You can get them
very compact and I have found it useful not just for me but others who I
have come across with the problem.

Pete

John Doe
September 11th 03, 12:29 AM
: Yes, I have had similar problems on a tandem. The
: simplest solution is called a chain-breaker, costs about $10 for a bike
: shop, then you can do it yourself, anywhere, anytime.
: Regards,
: Ray.

Agree. A chain breaker is a must on your carry on tools. You can get them
very compact and I have found it useful not just for me but others who I
have come across with the problem.

Pete

Deep Flayed Mares
September 11th 03, 02:44 AM
John Doe > wrote in message
> probably junk. You have
> : done 1800 km? That might mean your rear gear cluster will have to be
> : replaced too. My bike had done about 1000 km, and didn't need a new
> cluster
> : with the new chain.
>
> You should not need a new cluster at 1800km unless you have been
constantly
> riding through dirt and mud with no cleaning. Anyway as I said if the pin
> is not replaced correctly then it can come out as I have experienced.
>
> :
> : Whether you can pin it on the bike shop is a bit doubtful. Did they need
> : break the chain for any particular reason? I avoid ever taking a chain
off
> : unless it is really necessary. The process of pushing the pins in and
out
> : can often result in a damaged link, as may have happened in your case.
>

> I personally find it necessary to remove to clean it.

I have been using the olive oil technique for cleaning, which does not
require removal of the chain. I simply apply plenty of olive oil to the
chain (doesn't matter if you spill it everywhere), lay it down in a shed
somewhere overnight, and let the rats clean it up. It works brilliantly, and
it very easy to do. Sure beats using chemicals which you inevitably come in
contact with.
---
DFM

Deep Flayed Mares
September 11th 03, 02:44 AM
John Doe > wrote in message
> probably junk. You have
> : done 1800 km? That might mean your rear gear cluster will have to be
> : replaced too. My bike had done about 1000 km, and didn't need a new
> cluster
> : with the new chain.
>
> You should not need a new cluster at 1800km unless you have been
constantly
> riding through dirt and mud with no cleaning. Anyway as I said if the pin
> is not replaced correctly then it can come out as I have experienced.
>
> :
> : Whether you can pin it on the bike shop is a bit doubtful. Did they need
> : break the chain for any particular reason? I avoid ever taking a chain
off
> : unless it is really necessary. The process of pushing the pins in and
out
> : can often result in a damaged link, as may have happened in your case.
>

> I personally find it necessary to remove to clean it.

I have been using the olive oil technique for cleaning, which does not
require removal of the chain. I simply apply plenty of olive oil to the
chain (doesn't matter if you spill it everywhere), lay it down in a shed
somewhere overnight, and let the rats clean it up. It works brilliantly, and
it very easy to do. Sure beats using chemicals which you inevitably come in
contact with.
---
DFM

hippy
September 11th 03, 04:31 AM
"Deep Flayed Mares" > wrote in
message news:3BQ7b.2788
> I have been using the olive oil technique for cleaning, which does not
> require removal of the chain. I simply apply plenty of olive oil to
the
> chain (doesn't matter if you spill it everywhere), lay it down in a
shed
> somewhere overnight, and let the rats clean it up. It works
brilliantly, and
> it very easy to do. Sure beats using chemicals which you inevitably
come in
> contact with.

What if you don't have rats?
Can you suggest an alternative?
What about pouring VB all over the chain so the local
bogans will lick it clean? Should I use stubby or can?

hippy
- Before you all get offended.. I drink VB...
- but only when under the influence with impaired judgement :-P

hippy
September 11th 03, 04:31 AM
"Deep Flayed Mares" > wrote in
message news:3BQ7b.2788
> I have been using the olive oil technique for cleaning, which does not
> require removal of the chain. I simply apply plenty of olive oil to
the
> chain (doesn't matter if you spill it everywhere), lay it down in a
shed
> somewhere overnight, and let the rats clean it up. It works
brilliantly, and
> it very easy to do. Sure beats using chemicals which you inevitably
come in
> contact with.

What if you don't have rats?
Can you suggest an alternative?
What about pouring VB all over the chain so the local
bogans will lick it clean? Should I use stubby or can?

hippy
- Before you all get offended.. I drink VB...
- but only when under the influence with impaired judgement :-P

John Doe
September 11th 03, 05:04 AM
: What if you don't have rats?
: Can you suggest an alternative?
: What about pouring VB all over the chain so the local
: bogans will lick it clean? Should I use stubby or can?
:

LOL. Yes well I have been through all the different methods before and we
have covered them at length in the NG before and I find that removal is my
personal preferred method. Its just what suits you the best I guess.

Pete

John Doe
September 11th 03, 05:04 AM
: What if you don't have rats?
: Can you suggest an alternative?
: What about pouring VB all over the chain so the local
: bogans will lick it clean? Should I use stubby or can?
:

LOL. Yes well I have been through all the different methods before and we
have covered them at length in the NG before and I find that removal is my
personal preferred method. Its just what suits you the best I guess.

Pete

hippy
September 11th 03, 05:40 AM
> LOL. Yes well I have been through all the different methods before
and we
> have covered them at length in the NG before and I find that removal
is my
> personal preferred method. Its just what suits you the best I guess.

With a chain breaker, chain removal is a non-event.. too easy.
Removing the chain also means you don't get any cleaner on
your bike frame, rear wheel or cranks.

hippy
I would clean my chains more often if I wasn't so lazy :)
I like the grinding noise anyway.. helps me calculate cadence ;-)

hippy
September 11th 03, 05:40 AM
> LOL. Yes well I have been through all the different methods before
and we
> have covered them at length in the NG before and I find that removal
is my
> personal preferred method. Its just what suits you the best I guess.

With a chain breaker, chain removal is a non-event.. too easy.
Removing the chain also means you don't get any cleaner on
your bike frame, rear wheel or cranks.

hippy
I would clean my chains more often if I wasn't so lazy :)
I like the grinding noise anyway.. helps me calculate cadence ;-)

Glen F
September 11th 03, 06:19 AM
Where were all you guys who know about Shimano joiner pins breaking
when I asked ( http://tinyurl.com/mym0 ) a few months back?

Glen F
September 11th 03, 06:19 AM
Where were all you guys who know about Shimano joiner pins breaking
when I asked ( http://tinyurl.com/mym0 ) a few months back?

hippy
September 11th 03, 06:31 AM
"Glen F" > wrote in message
> Where were all you guys who know about Shimano joiner pins breaking
> when I asked ( http://tinyurl.com/mym0 ) a few months back?

I've never heard of the pins breaking and I've never had it
happen personally. I've also re-used pins to join chains
also with no problems.
I've recently fitted an SRAM joiner link to my singlespeed
chain and haven't had any issues with it yet (not a even a
month old though).

hippy
- maybe I'm not powerful enough to break 'em?

hippy
September 11th 03, 06:31 AM
"Glen F" > wrote in message
> Where were all you guys who know about Shimano joiner pins breaking
> when I asked ( http://tinyurl.com/mym0 ) a few months back?

I've never heard of the pins breaking and I've never had it
happen personally. I've also re-used pins to join chains
also with no problems.
I've recently fitted an SRAM joiner link to my singlespeed
chain and haven't had any issues with it yet (not a even a
month old though).

hippy
- maybe I'm not powerful enough to break 'em?

Arpit
September 11th 03, 09:25 AM
On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 22:09:10 +1000, "Nicholas & Domino"
> wrote:

>"Gags" > wrote in message
>On the weekend, I had my mountain bike serviced (first one after 1800km of
>commuting to and from work on the Yarra Trail). I rode to work on Monday and
>it was great.......smooth shifts.......brakes that actually pulled me up in
>a hurry (although they are noisy as all hell.......think I need to give them
>a bit of "toe in").
>
>Anyway, I was on my way home tonight, accelerating out of a corner, and the
>next thing I know I am spinning the pedals and nothing is happening. One of
>the links had come undone and my chain was sitting on the bike path!!!!!!!
>
>Should I blame the bike shop for not joining the chain properly after the
>service given that I had only done 78km since the service??? Or is it
>possible that one of the other links (ie. not the one that they broke to get
>the chain off) spontaneously decided to give way?? I did have a link start
>to peel apart on my road bike last year in Canberra (chain was replaced
>under warranty) so I am wondering if it is a common occurence for bigger
>guys (I am 195cm and 97 or so kg - easily over 100kg with loaded backpack).
>Has anyone ever heard of this being a problem for heavier people??
>
>Gags
>

>no offence but it's a little unlikely that it's your legs or weight -
>imagine the power Baden Cooke is unleashing in a sprint....
>I've seen a buddy snap a chain - he missed a shift and obviously the chain
>recieved more sideward loading than it could cope with. In his instance it
>happened all at once, but I'd imagine it'd be possible that you may have
>done the same while ago but the chain held together until something, or just
>time, caused it to let go.
*shrug* it happens, ive broken chains on bmx bikes, and they are
supposed to be pretty stong.
>Of course no product is perfect - maybe you got a dud chain?
>
>nick

Arpit
September 11th 03, 09:25 AM
On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 22:09:10 +1000, "Nicholas & Domino"
> wrote:

>"Gags" > wrote in message
>On the weekend, I had my mountain bike serviced (first one after 1800km of
>commuting to and from work on the Yarra Trail). I rode to work on Monday and
>it was great.......smooth shifts.......brakes that actually pulled me up in
>a hurry (although they are noisy as all hell.......think I need to give them
>a bit of "toe in").
>
>Anyway, I was on my way home tonight, accelerating out of a corner, and the
>next thing I know I am spinning the pedals and nothing is happening. One of
>the links had come undone and my chain was sitting on the bike path!!!!!!!
>
>Should I blame the bike shop for not joining the chain properly after the
>service given that I had only done 78km since the service??? Or is it
>possible that one of the other links (ie. not the one that they broke to get
>the chain off) spontaneously decided to give way?? I did have a link start
>to peel apart on my road bike last year in Canberra (chain was replaced
>under warranty) so I am wondering if it is a common occurence for bigger
>guys (I am 195cm and 97 or so kg - easily over 100kg with loaded backpack).
>Has anyone ever heard of this being a problem for heavier people??
>
>Gags
>

>no offence but it's a little unlikely that it's your legs or weight -
>imagine the power Baden Cooke is unleashing in a sprint....
>I've seen a buddy snap a chain - he missed a shift and obviously the chain
>recieved more sideward loading than it could cope with. In his instance it
>happened all at once, but I'd imagine it'd be possible that you may have
>done the same while ago but the chain held together until something, or just
>time, caused it to let go.
*shrug* it happens, ive broken chains on bmx bikes, and they are
supposed to be pretty stong.
>Of course no product is perfect - maybe you got a dud chain?
>
>nick

Gags
September 11th 03, 11:34 AM
Thanks for all the comments......I tried ringing the bike store tonight and
they musta shut shop 10 min early cos I got no answer......will ring again
tomorrow. I used to carry a chain breaker with me on my old mountain bike
as I pretty well only used it for off-road and didn't want to get stuck in
the middle of nowhere, but as I am now just riding on the Yarra trail to and
from work, I put the chain breaker back in the toolbox. A guy at work today
said that he always carries a couple of zip ties and a blade to trim them
with.........reckons that they will get you home in an emergency......sounds
like a good idea, but I dunno about shifting gears??

On my old bike (with Shimano 7 spd cluster), I had the same chain for 7
years and I used the chain breaker to take it off heaps of times for
cleaning, re-using the same pin each time when I put it back on. I have
since been told that this is not a good idea and that there are special pins
that are slightly over-diameter and have a snap-off bit on the end??? (I
have never seen one). The chain I lost yesterday is a Shimano 9
spd.......it is only a guess, but perhaps they are a weaker chain and more
susceptible to lateral flex due to them being narrower????

Anyone got any recomendations for a new 9 spd chain???

Gags

"Gags" > wrote in message
> On the weekend, I had my mountain bike serviced (first one after 1800km of
> commuting to and from work on the Yarra Trail). I rode to work on Monday
and
> it was great.......smooth shifts.......brakes that actually pulled me up
in
> a hurry (although they are noisy as all hell.......think I need to give
them
> a bit of "toe in").
>
> Anyway, I was on my way home tonight, accelerating out of a corner, and
the
> next thing I know I am spinning the pedals and nothing is happening. One
of
> the links had come undone and my chain was sitting on the bike path!!!!!!!
>
> Should I blame the bike shop for not joining the chain properly after the
> service given that I had only done 78km since the service??? Or is it
> possible that one of the other links (ie. not the one that they broke to
get
> the chain off) spontaneously decided to give way?? I did have a link
start
> to peel apart on my road bike last year in Canberra (chain was replaced
> under warranty) so I am wondering if it is a common occurence for bigger
> guys (I am 195cm and 97 or so kg - easily over 100kg with loaded
backpack).
> Has anyone ever heard of this being a problem for heavier people??
>
> Gags

Jonas
September 11th 03, 11:38 AM
i'm with gary here... i've only seen chains snap when people are cranking
through a gear change.
jonas

> Its not a common occurence, chains that are joined properly never break.
> You're weight isnt an issue. I haven't had a chain breakage in 80,000km
> (not same chain), because I'm the only one who joins them and make sure
> the job is done properly, with the right amount of pin protrusion on
> both plates. ( I've had a few breakages before 10 years ago, when I was
> careless). I'd say your chain broke at where the dufus joined it, as
> there's no reason to break elsewhere.
>
> "Gary K"

Jonas
September 11th 03, 11:38 AM
i'm with gary here... i've only seen chains snap when people are cranking
through a gear change.
jonas

> Its not a common occurence, chains that are joined properly never break.
> You're weight isnt an issue. I haven't had a chain breakage in 80,000km
> (not same chain), because I'm the only one who joins them and make sure
> the job is done properly, with the right amount of pin protrusion on
> both plates. ( I've had a few breakages before 10 years ago, when I was
> careless). I'd say your chain broke at where the dufus joined it, as
> there's no reason to break elsewhere.
>
> "Gary K"

Andrew Swan
September 11th 03, 01:32 PM
Gags wrote:
<snip>

> Anyone got any recomendations for a new 9 spd chain???
>
> Gags
<snip>

One of my LBSes swears by Wippermans and doesn't even sell Shimanos any
more. I've only had my Wipp for a month or two now, but it seems fine
and the little hand-openable link has got to be a bonus when it comes
time for cleaning - no chain-breaker, no inserting a new pin each time,
no tight links, etc.

&roo

Andrew Swan
September 11th 03, 01:32 PM
Gags wrote:
<snip>

> Anyone got any recomendations for a new 9 spd chain???
>
> Gags
<snip>

One of my LBSes swears by Wippermans and doesn't even sell Shimanos any
more. I've only had my Wipp for a month or two now, but it seems fine
and the little hand-openable link has got to be a bonus when it comes
time for cleaning - no chain-breaker, no inserting a new pin each time,
no tight links, etc.

&roo

Gary K
September 12th 03, 05:30 AM
Gags > wrote:

> Thanks for all the comments......I tried ringing the bike store tonight and
> they musta shut shop 10 min early cos I got no answer......will ring again
> tomorrow. I used to carry a chain breaker with me on my old mountain bike
> as I pretty well only used it for off-road and didn't want to get stuck in
> the middle of nowhere, but as I am now just riding on the Yarra trail to and
> from work, I put the chain breaker back in the toolbox. A guy at work today
> said that he always carries a couple of zip ties and a blade to trim them
> with.........reckons that they will get you home in an emergency......sounds
> like a good idea, but I dunno about shifting gears??
>
> On my old bike (with Shimano 7 spd cluster), I had the same chain for 7
> years and I used the chain breaker to take it off heaps of times for
> cleaning, re-using the same pin each time when I put it back on. I have
> since been told that this is not a good idea and that there are special pins
> that are slightly over-diameter and have a snap-off bit on the end??? (I
> have never seen one). The chain I lost yesterday is a Shimano 9
> spd.......it is only a guess, but perhaps they are a weaker chain and more
> susceptible to lateral flex due to them being narrower????
>
> Anyone got any recomendations for a new 9 spd chain???

Sachs are excellent.

GK

Gary K
September 12th 03, 05:30 AM
Gags > wrote:

> Thanks for all the comments......I tried ringing the bike store tonight and
> they musta shut shop 10 min early cos I got no answer......will ring again
> tomorrow. I used to carry a chain breaker with me on my old mountain bike
> as I pretty well only used it for off-road and didn't want to get stuck in
> the middle of nowhere, but as I am now just riding on the Yarra trail to and
> from work, I put the chain breaker back in the toolbox. A guy at work today
> said that he always carries a couple of zip ties and a blade to trim them
> with.........reckons that they will get you home in an emergency......sounds
> like a good idea, but I dunno about shifting gears??
>
> On my old bike (with Shimano 7 spd cluster), I had the same chain for 7
> years and I used the chain breaker to take it off heaps of times for
> cleaning, re-using the same pin each time when I put it back on. I have
> since been told that this is not a good idea and that there are special pins
> that are slightly over-diameter and have a snap-off bit on the end??? (I
> have never seen one). The chain I lost yesterday is a Shimano 9
> spd.......it is only a guess, but perhaps they are a weaker chain and more
> susceptible to lateral flex due to them being narrower????
>
> Anyone got any recomendations for a new 9 spd chain???

Sachs are excellent.

GK

hippy
September 12th 03, 10:35 AM
"Gary K" > wrote in message
> > Anyone got any recomendations for a new 9 spd chain???
>
> Sachs are excellent.

Are these now SRAM?

hippy

hippy
September 12th 03, 10:35 AM
"Gary K" > wrote in message
> > Anyone got any recomendations for a new 9 spd chain???
>
> Sachs are excellent.

Are these now SRAM?

hippy

Suzy Jackson
September 12th 03, 10:46 AM
"hippy" > wrote in message
> "Gary K" > wrote in message
> > > Anyone got any recomendations for a new 9 spd chain???
> >
> > Sachs are excellent.
>
> Are these now SRAM?

Yup.

Still excellent, too.

Regards,

Suzy

Suzy Jackson
September 12th 03, 10:46 AM
"hippy" > wrote in message
> "Gary K" > wrote in message
> > > Anyone got any recomendations for a new 9 spd chain???
> >
> > Sachs are excellent.
>
> Are these now SRAM?

Yup.

Still excellent, too.

Regards,

Suzy

Deep Freud Moors
September 12th 03, 12:13 PM
On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 12:30:21 +0800, (Gary K)
wrote:

>Gags > wrote:
>
>> Thanks for all the comments......I tried ringing the bike store tonight and
>> they musta shut shop 10 min early cos I got no answer......will ring again
>> tomorrow. I used to carry a chain breaker with me on my old mountain bike
>> as I pretty well only used it for off-road and didn't want to get stuck in
>> the middle of nowhere, but as I am now just riding on the Yarra trail to and
>> from work, I put the chain breaker back in the toolbox. A guy at work today
>> said that he always carries a couple of zip ties and a blade to trim them
>> with.........reckons that they will get you home in an emergency......sounds
>> like a good idea, but I dunno about shifting gears??
>>
>> On my old bike (with Shimano 7 spd cluster), I had the same chain for 7
>> years and I used the chain breaker to take it off heaps of times for
>> cleaning, re-using the same pin each time when I put it back on. I have
>> since been told that this is not a good idea and that there are special pins
>> that are slightly over-diameter and have a snap-off bit on the end??? (I
>> have never seen one). The chain I lost yesterday is a Shimano 9
>> spd.......it is only a guess, but perhaps they are a weaker chain and more
>> susceptible to lateral flex due to them being narrower????
>>
>> Anyone got any recomendations for a new 9 spd chain???
>>

>Sachs are excellent.

Sachs 3 speed hub, with backpedal brake. A fantastic creation!!!! Oh
yeahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
---
DFM

wrote:

>Gags > wrote:
>
>> Thanks for all the comments......I tried ringing the bike store tonight and
>> they musta shut shop 10 min early cos I got no answer......will ring again
>> tomorrow. I used to carry a chain breaker with me on my old mountain bike
>> as I pretty well only used it for off-road and didn't want to get stuck in
>> the middle of nowhere, but as I am now just riding on the Yarra trail to and
>> from work, I put the chain breaker back in the toolbox. A guy at work today
>> said that he always carries a couple of zip ties and a blade to trim them
>> with.........reckons that they will get you home in an emergency......sounds
>> like a good idea, but I dunno about shifting gears??
>>
>> On my old bike (with Shimano 7 spd cluster), I had the same chain for 7
>> years and I used the chain breaker to take it off heaps of times for
>> cleaning, re-using the same pin each time when I put it back on. I have
>> since been told that this is not a good idea and that there are special pins
>> that are slightly over-diameter and have a snap-off bit on the end??? (I
>> have never seen one). The chain I lost yesterday is a Shimano 9
>> spd.......it is only a guess, but perhaps they are a weaker chain and more
>> susceptible to lateral flex due to them being narrower????
>>
>> Anyone got any recomendations for a new 9 spd chain???
>>

>Sachs are excellent.

Sachs 3 speed hub, with backpedal brake. A fantastic creation!!!! Oh
yeahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
---
DFM

John Henderson
September 12th 03, 12:48 PM
"Deep Freud Moors" wrote:

> Sachs 3 speed hub, with backpedal brake. A fantastic
> creation!!!! Oh yeahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

The SRAM/Sachs S7 internal 7-speed with cable-operated drum brake
is pretty good too. I bought mine mail-order from the UK last
year. Over 5000 km up on it, and it's going like a dream (on its
second chain).

Only trouble is that when I eventually need parts, I'm going to
have to import them myself too. But I've got a manual, and parts
list with part numbers. At least it takes readily-available
generic 3-splined sprockets.

John

John Henderson
September 12th 03, 12:48 PM
"Deep Freud Moors" wrote:

> Sachs 3 speed hub, with backpedal brake. A fantastic
> creation!!!! Oh yeahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

The SRAM/Sachs S7 internal 7-speed with cable-operated drum brake
is pretty good too. I bought mine mail-order from the UK last
year. Over 5000 km up on it, and it's going like a dream (on its
second chain).

Only trouble is that when I eventually need parts, I'm going to
have to import them myself too. But I've got a manual, and parts
list with part numbers. At least it takes readily-available
generic 3-splined sprockets.

John

Gary K
September 12th 03, 12:57 PM
hippy > wrote:

> "Gary K" > wrote in message
> > > Anyone got any recomendations for a new 9 spd chain???
> >
> > Sachs are excellent.
>
> Are these now SRAM?

I'm just behind the times, thats all.
Install the chain, never breaks, stretched only 1/64" in 7,000km. Who
knows when it'll wear out..

GK

Gary K
September 12th 03, 12:57 PM
hippy > wrote:

> "Gary K" > wrote in message
> > > Anyone got any recomendations for a new 9 spd chain???
> >
> > Sachs are excellent.
>
> Are these now SRAM?

I'm just behind the times, thats all.
Install the chain, never breaks, stretched only 1/64" in 7,000km. Who
knows when it'll wear out..

GK

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home