PDA

View Full Version : Swooping magpies

amirm
September 10th 03, 11:52 PM
Yesterday, the confounded birds got me three times.

I took a spin to catch up with my weekly kms. On the route that I
normally take for this purpose, I have been being swooped on two
locations regularly. Yesterday, I took an extended version of the route
and the third bird got me, too.

After encountering these birds I can see that their swooping behaviour
varies. One of them only comes close so I can hear him/her approaching,
but never makes any contact. The second bird (different spot) always
makes only one contact. It feels as if he/she kind of grabs on my jersy
for a short time. No contacts with helmet. Since I do about 50-60 kmh on
that part of the route, I guess one swoop is enough, and by then I have
already left the territory!

The bloody third one yesterday got me when I was doing like 30 kmh. This
one kept bashing on my helmet. At least 6-7 times! It wouldn't let me
go. Kept coming back for a good 300 meters. I got so angry I thought I
would grab the bloody neck of the bird and snap the dumb head off, but I
could only wish!

John Doe
September 11th 03, 12:23 AM
: The bloody third one yesterday got me when I was doing like 30 kmh. This
: one kept bashing on my helmet. At least 6-7 times! It wouldn't let me
: go. Kept coming back for a good 300 meters. I got so angry I thought I
: would grab the bloody neck of the bird and snap the dumb head off, but I
: could only wish!
:

Yes you do feel like that at times but its not really their fault. Its
their job and they didnt choose it. :-)

Pete

John Doe
September 11th 03, 12:23 AM
: The bloody third one yesterday got me when I was doing like 30 kmh. This
: one kept bashing on my helmet. At least 6-7 times! It wouldn't let me
: go. Kept coming back for a good 300 meters. I got so angry I thought I
: would grab the bloody neck of the bird and snap the dumb head off, but I
: could only wish!
:

Yes you do feel like that at times but its not really their fault. Its
their job and they didnt choose it. :-)

Pete

AndyŠ
September 11th 03, 01:28 AM
On 11 Sep 2003 08:42:09 +0950, amirm >
wrote:

>Yesterday, the confounded birds got me three times.

If you can manage to look at them, you`ll find they wont attack.
They`ll only attack if youre not facing them.
If it becomes really troublesome try sticking some paper cut eyes on
the back of your helmet to simulate that youre looking at them.
Regs Andy

wrote:

>Yesterday, the confounded birds got me three times.

If you can manage to look at them, you`ll find they wont attack.
They`ll only attack if youre not facing them.
If it becomes really troublesome try sticking some paper cut eyes on
the back of your helmet to simulate that youre looking at them.
Regs Andy

Jock
September 11th 03, 05:53 AM
Think how you would be feeling if your nuts had just grown 20 times larger.
I reckon I'd be a little touchy as well and lash out here & there.
The hat with eyes on the back is the go. They are cowards & won't attack
you if they think you can see them.
Jock

"amirm" > wrote in message
> Yesterday, the confounded birds got me three times.
>
> I took a spin to catch up with my weekly kms. On the route that I
> normally take for this purpose, I have been being swooped on two
> locations regularly. Yesterday, I took an extended version of the route
> and the third bird got me, too.
>
> After encountering these birds I can see that their swooping behaviour
> varies. One of them only comes close so I can hear him/her approaching,
> but never makes any contact. The second bird (different spot) always
> makes only one contact. It feels as if he/she kind of grabs on my jersy
> for a short time. No contacts with helmet. Since I do about 50-60 kmh on
> that part of the route, I guess one swoop is enough, and by then I have
> already left the territory!
>
> The bloody third one yesterday got me when I was doing like 30 kmh. This
> one kept bashing on my helmet. At least 6-7 times! It wouldn't let me
> go. Kept coming back for a good 300 meters. I got so angry I thought I
> would grab the bloody neck of the bird and snap the dumb head off, but I
> could only wish!
>

> --

Mitch Pollard
September 11th 03, 03:26 PM
I dont want to come across as cruel or evil, but ever since i saw my best
mate get smashed hard in the head when we were 9 years old. from a dirty
maggie. Ive had a chip on my shoulder. I always play baseball with them.
remember, evolution with only happen if you change things. and by me, owning
maggies when they swoop. they will evolve into non swooping bitches..

"Jock" > wrote in message
> Think how you would be feeling if your nuts had just grown 20 times
larger.
> I reckon I'd be a little touchy as well and lash out here & there.
> The hat with eyes on the back is the go. They are cowards & won't attack
> you if they think you can see them.
> Jock
> "amirm" > wrote in message
> > Yesterday, the confounded birds got me three times.
> >
> > I took a spin to catch up with my weekly kms. On the route that I
> > normally take for this purpose, I have been being swooped on two
> > locations regularly. Yesterday, I took an extended version of the route
> > and the third bird got me, too.
> >
> > After encountering these birds I can see that their swooping behaviour
> > varies. One of them only comes close so I can hear him/her approaching,
> > but never makes any contact. The second bird (different spot) always
> > makes only one contact. It feels as if he/she kind of grabs on my jersy
> > for a short time. No contacts with helmet. Since I do about 50-60 kmh on
> > that part of the route, I guess one swoop is enough, and by then I have
> > already left the territory!
> >
> > The bloody third one yesterday got me when I was doing like 30 kmh. This
> > one kept bashing on my helmet. At least 6-7 times! It wouldn't let me
> > go. Kept coming back for a good 300 meters. I got so angry I thought I
> > would grab the bloody neck of the bird and snap the dumb head off, but I
> > could only wish!
> >

> > --

Nick Payne
September 11th 03, 10:03 PM
"AndyŠ" > wrote in message

> If you can manage to look at them, you`ll find they wont attack.
> They`ll only attack if youre not facing them.
> If it becomes really troublesome try sticking some paper cut eyes on
> the back of your helmet to simulate that youre looking at them.

That can be dangerous. I've seen a rider with a large scratch above his
eyebrow done by a magpie. He explained that he'd done what you've suggested,
putting fake eyes on the back of his helmet. This caused the bird to attack
the front of his head under the impression it was the back.

Nick

Nick Payne
September 11th 03, 10:03 PM
"AndyŠ" > wrote in message

> If you can manage to look at them, you`ll find they wont attack.
> They`ll only attack if youre not facing them.
> If it becomes really troublesome try sticking some paper cut eyes on
> the back of your helmet to simulate that youre looking at them.

That can be dangerous. I've seen a rider with a large scratch above his
eyebrow done by a magpie. He explained that he'd done what you've suggested,
putting fake eyes on the back of his helmet. This caused the bird to attack
the front of his head under the impression it was the back.

Nick

Jeff
September 12th 03, 12:50 AM

> > > I took a spin to catch up with my weekly kms. On the route that I
> > > normally take for this purpose, I have been being swooped on two
> > > locations regularly. Yesterday, I took an extended version of the route
> > > and the third bird got me, too.
> > >
> > > After encountering these birds I can see that their swooping behaviour
> > > varies. One of them only comes close so I can hear him/her approaching,
> > > but never makes any contact. The second bird (different spot) always
> > > makes only one contact. It feels as if he/she kind of grabs on my jersy
> > > for a short time. No contacts with helmet. Since I do about 50-60 kmh on
> > > that part of the route, I guess one swoop is enough, and by then I have
> > > already left the territory!
> > >
> > > The bloody third one yesterday got me when I was doing like 30 kmh. This
> > > one kept bashing on my helmet. At least 6-7 times! It wouldn't let me
> > > go. Kept coming back for a good 300 meters. I got so angry I thought I
> > > would grab the bloody neck of the bird and snap the dumb head off, but I
> > > could only wish!
> > >

> > > --
> >
>Last Saturday I was the victim of a swooping. We parked under the
maggies tree, so can't complain when we got swooped. So I thought that
by leaving its area it would leave me alone. I was wrong when I jumped
on my bike and took off I was hit about 5 times on the helmet. On
approach for the sixth time I took my eyes of the road to see it
approach, hit a rock and came off spectacularly. My mates thought it
was hilarious! Whilst on the grounded winded the bloody bird kept
swooping me (not making contact though). I was now a good 100 meters
from its tree!

Don't know why but there were a group of people under the tree when we
arrived and they were not getting attacked and as we drove off it sat
in the tree and still didn't swoop them.

Jeff
September 12th 03, 12:50 AM

> > > I took a spin to catch up with my weekly kms. On the route that I
> > > normally take for this purpose, I have been being swooped on two
> > > locations regularly. Yesterday, I took an extended version of the route
> > > and the third bird got me, too.
> > >
> > > After encountering these birds I can see that their swooping behaviour
> > > varies. One of them only comes close so I can hear him/her approaching,
> > > but never makes any contact. The second bird (different spot) always
> > > makes only one contact. It feels as if he/she kind of grabs on my jersy
> > > for a short time. No contacts with helmet. Since I do about 50-60 kmh on
> > > that part of the route, I guess one swoop is enough, and by then I have
> > > already left the territory!
> > >
> > > The bloody third one yesterday got me when I was doing like 30 kmh. This
> > > one kept bashing on my helmet. At least 6-7 times! It wouldn't let me
> > > go. Kept coming back for a good 300 meters. I got so angry I thought I
> > > would grab the bloody neck of the bird and snap the dumb head off, but I
> > > could only wish!
> > >

> > > --
> >
>Last Saturday I was the victim of a swooping. We parked under the
maggies tree, so can't complain when we got swooped. So I thought that
by leaving its area it would leave me alone. I was wrong when I jumped
on my bike and took off I was hit about 5 times on the helmet. On
approach for the sixth time I took my eyes of the road to see it
approach, hit a rock and came off spectacularly. My mates thought it
was hilarious! Whilst on the grounded winded the bloody bird kept
swooping me (not making contact though). I was now a good 100 meters
from its tree!

Don't know why but there were a group of people under the tree when we
arrived and they were not getting attacked and as we drove off it sat
in the tree and still didn't swoop them.

Laurence Dodd
September 12th 03, 02:17 AM
"Jock" > wrote in message
> Think how you would be feeling if your nuts had just grown 20 times
larger.
> I reckon I'd be a little touchy as well and lash out here & there.
> The hat with eyes on the back is the go. They are cowards & won't attack
> you if they think you can see them.
> Jock

I rode through a new housing estate at Edens Landing about four years ago in
September (or nesting season anyway) and there were several swooping magpies
that got me cornered on an uphill. I got off my bike and they were
confronting me. I recall at least one was landing on the ground and kept
trying to fly up behind me, so I had to spin around and keep it in front of
me. After a minute or so I just had to ride away waving my one arm in the
air.

Laurence Dodd
September 12th 03, 02:17 AM
"Jock" > wrote in message
> Think how you would be feeling if your nuts had just grown 20 times
larger.
> I reckon I'd be a little touchy as well and lash out here & there.
> The hat with eyes on the back is the go. They are cowards & won't attack
> you if they think you can see them.
> Jock

I rode through a new housing estate at Edens Landing about four years ago in
September (or nesting season anyway) and there were several swooping magpies
that got me cornered on an uphill. I got off my bike and they were
confronting me. I recall at least one was landing on the ground and kept
trying to fly up behind me, so I had to spin around and keep it in front of
me. After a minute or so I just had to ride away waving my one arm in the
air.

Paul J
September 12th 03, 04:44 AM
I thought Magpies would be a pretty good training aid. You have to
sprint to get through the attack zone and possibly if you're going fast
enough the bird won't keep up.

But honestly, magpies a menace and a dangerous threat to all cyclists.
Cyclists are the most vulnerable when it comes to magpies and none of
the old wives remedies appear to have any effect. I think magpies
actually target cyclists over any other group as they do appear very odd
and vulnerable and therefore weaker.

I pity those poor souls who actually have no choice but to ride on their
own through magpie territory. I personally have decided only to go on
bunch rides until the season is over. Safety in numbers right? But even
this does not seem to deter these birds.

One thing I do believe is that these birds are approaching plague
proportions in our suburbs. I believe it is because generation after
generation are being hand fed around the clock by well meaning
suburbanites instead of the population being cut back by environmental
factors during leaner times. With more and more birds reaching maturity,
their individual territories are beginning get crowded and they're
becoming more aggressive

[...]

Sigi Goode
September 12th 03, 06:28 AM
On 12 Sep 2003 13:34:08 +0950, Paul J >
wrote:

>But honestly, magpies a menace and a dangerous threat to all cyclists.
>Cyclists are the most vulnerable when it comes to magpies

What, more vulnerable than pedestrians? If so, why not just get off
the bike and walk? Are you thinking about this, Paul?

> and none of
>the old wives remedies appear to have any effect.

The eyes I painted on the back of my helmet would disagree with
this...

>I think magpies
>actually target cyclists over any other group as they do appear very odd
>and vulnerable and therefore weaker.

Oh Paul, why in blazes would a magpie only seek to attack things which
are WEAK? These birds are trying to defend their nest and their young.
Weak foes would pose no threat to their young. You are in their
territory, pure and simple.

As much as I dislike being swooped, I admire their courage!

Sg.

wrote:

>But honestly, magpies a menace and a dangerous threat to all cyclists.
>Cyclists are the most vulnerable when it comes to magpies

What, more vulnerable than pedestrians? If so, why not just get off
the bike and walk? Are you thinking about this, Paul?

> and none of
>the old wives remedies appear to have any effect.

The eyes I painted on the back of my helmet would disagree with
this...

>I think magpies
>actually target cyclists over any other group as they do appear very odd
>and vulnerable and therefore weaker.

Oh Paul, why in blazes would a magpie only seek to attack things which
are WEAK? These birds are trying to defend their nest and their young.
Weak foes would pose no threat to their young. You are in their
territory, pure and simple.

As much as I dislike being swooped, I admire their courage!

Sg.

DJ
September 12th 03, 07:38 AM
Maybe there is some kind of conspiracy going on between the magpies and
aus.car..they all hate cyclists lol

"Jeff" > wrote in message
om...

This

> >Last Saturday I was the victim of a swooping. We parked under the
> maggies tree, so can't complain when we got swooped. So I thought that
> by leaving its area it would leave me alone. I was wrong when I jumped
> on my bike and took off I was hit about 5 times on the helmet. On
> approach for the sixth time I took my eyes of the road to see it
> approach, hit a rock and came off spectacularly. My mates thought it
> was hilarious! Whilst on the grounded winded the bloody bird kept
> swooping me (not making contact though). I was now a good 100 meters
> from its tree!
>
> Don't know why but there were a group of people under the tree when we
> arrived and they were not getting attacked and as we drove off it sat
> in the tree and still didn't swoop them.

DJ
September 12th 03, 07:38 AM
Maybe there is some kind of conspiracy going on between the magpies and
aus.car..they all hate cyclists lol

"Jeff" > wrote in message
om...

This

> >Last Saturday I was the victim of a swooping. We parked under the
> maggies tree, so can't complain when we got swooped. So I thought that
> by leaving its area it would leave me alone. I was wrong when I jumped
> on my bike and took off I was hit about 5 times on the helmet. On
> approach for the sixth time I took my eyes of the road to see it
> approach, hit a rock and came off spectacularly. My mates thought it
> was hilarious! Whilst on the grounded winded the bloody bird kept
> swooping me (not making contact though). I was now a good 100 meters
> from its tree!
>
> Don't know why but there were a group of people under the tree when we
> arrived and they were not getting attacked and as we drove off it sat
> in the tree and still didn't swoop them.

Andrew Swan
September 12th 03, 09:28 AM
Laurence Dodd wrote:

> I rode through a new housing estate at Edens Landing about four years ago in
> September (or nesting season anyway) and there were several swooping magpies
> that got me cornered on an uphill. I got off my bike and they were
> confronting me. I recall at least one was landing on the ground and kept
> trying to fly up behind me, so I had to spin around and keep it in front of
> me. After a minute or so I just had to ride away waving my one arm in the
> air.

You only have one arm?

&roo

Andrew Swan
September 12th 03, 09:28 AM
Laurence Dodd wrote:

> I rode through a new housing estate at Edens Landing about four years ago in
> September (or nesting season anyway) and there were several swooping magpies
> that got me cornered on an uphill. I got off my bike and they were
> confronting me. I recall at least one was landing on the ground and kept
> trying to fly up behind me, so I had to spin around and keep it in front of
> me. After a minute or so I just had to ride away waving my one arm in the
> air.

You only have one arm?

&roo

Laurence Dodd
September 14th 03, 09:43 AM
No, I have two arms. The last sentence in my previous post should not have
included the word "my".

LD.

"Andrew Swan" > wrote in message
> Laurence Dodd wrote:
> >
> > I rode through a new housing estate at Edens Landing about four years
ago in
> > September (or nesting season anyway) and there were several swooping
magpies
> > that got me cornered on an uphill. I got off my bike and they were
> > confronting me. I recall at least one was landing on the ground and
kept
> > trying to fly up behind me, so I had to spin around and keep it in front
of
> > me. After a minute or so I just had to ride away waving my one arm in
the
> > air.
> >

> You only have one arm?
>
> &roo

Laurence Dodd
September 14th 03, 09:43 AM
No, I have two arms. The last sentence in my previous post should not have
included the word "my".

LD.

"Andrew Swan" > wrote in message
> Laurence Dodd wrote:
> >
> > I rode through a new housing estate at Edens Landing about four years
ago in
> > September (or nesting season anyway) and there were several swooping
magpies
> > that got me cornered on an uphill. I got off my bike and they were
> > confronting me. I recall at least one was landing on the ground and
kept
> > trying to fly up behind me, so I had to spin around and keep it in front
of
> > me. After a minute or so I just had to ride away waving my one arm in
the
> > air.
> >

> You only have one arm?
>
> &roo

cfsmtb
September 15th 03, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Dj Maybe there is some kind of conspiracy going on
between the magpies and aus.car..they all hate cyclists lol

Yes, there is another conspiracy.

Dr Hugh Wirth, the ever tactful leader of the RSPCA, got stuck into a
ABC radio talkback caller on the 6/9, who had the sheer nerve to mention
he was a cyclist & had probs with magpies.

Dr Hugh responded that he disliked cyclists & sided with the birds.
Sounds very shifty to me. Draw you own conclusions.

BTW, anyone ever encountered problems with plovers? nasty little sods
too.

--
it's all a creeping beige conspiracy

cfsmtb
September 15th 03, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Dj Maybe there is some kind of conspiracy going on
between the magpies and aus.car..they all hate cyclists lol

Yes, there is another conspiracy.

Dr Hugh Wirth, the ever tactful leader of the RSPCA, got stuck into a
ABC radio talkback caller on the 6/9, who had the sheer nerve to mention
he was a cyclist & had probs with magpies.

Dr Hugh responded that he disliked cyclists & sided with the birds.
Sounds very shifty to me. Draw you own conclusions.

BTW, anyone ever encountered problems with plovers? nasty little sods
too.

--
it's all a creeping beige conspiracy

John Henderson
September 15th 03, 06:01 PM
"cfsmtb" wrote:

> BTW, anyone ever encountered problems with plovers? nasty
> little sods too.

Absolutely - great little divebombers. I knew them as "spurwing
plovers" when I was a kid in Brisbane. They seem to be known as
"lapwings" these days.

They have sharp spurs on the leading edges of the wings. But at
least they're vocal, and let you know they're upset - unlike
magpies, which are into stealth attacks.

All these birds are protected, and noone would ever think of
harming them! So when you get off your bike and stand with a
stick in one hand and the sun behind you (watching your shadow),
you must be careful not to raise the stick quickly at the wrong
time. Otherwise you might accidentally connect with one of the
precious little darlings.

John

John Henderson
September 15th 03, 06:01 PM
"cfsmtb" wrote:

> BTW, anyone ever encountered problems with plovers? nasty
> little sods too.

Absolutely - great little divebombers. I knew them as "spurwing
plovers" when I was a kid in Brisbane. They seem to be known as
"lapwings" these days.

They have sharp spurs on the leading edges of the wings. But at
least they're vocal, and let you know they're upset - unlike
magpies, which are into stealth attacks.

All these birds are protected, and noone would ever think of
harming them! So when you get off your bike and stand with a
stick in one hand and the sun behind you (watching your shadow),
you must be careful not to raise the stick quickly at the wrong
time. Otherwise you might accidentally connect with one of the
precious little darlings.

John

Paul J
September 16th 03, 04:43 AM
>Yes, there is another conspiracy.

>Dr Hugh Wirth, the ever tactful leader of the RSPCA, got stuck >into a
>ABC radio talkback caller on the 6/9, who had the sheer >nerve to
>mention he was a cyclist & had probs with magpies.

>Dr Hugh responded that he disliked cyclists & sided with the >birds.
>Sounds very shifty to me. Draw you own conclusions.

>BTW, anyone ever encountered problems with plovers? nasty >little
>sods too.

I've never heard of cyclists being attacked by plovers and I've
regularly riden through plover territory without problems but yes
these birds are worse than magpies. Even though I've been attacked by
magpies I still have more respect for them because plovers are just so
damn stupid.

However, I wonder how long it will be before someone turns around
and sues National Parks and Wildlife and the RSPCA after losing an
eye to a magpie.

Paul J
September 16th 03, 04:43 AM
>Yes, there is another conspiracy.

>Dr Hugh Wirth, the ever tactful leader of the RSPCA, got stuck >into a
>ABC radio talkback caller on the 6/9, who had the sheer >nerve to
>mention he was a cyclist & had probs with magpies.

>Dr Hugh responded that he disliked cyclists & sided with the >birds.
>Sounds very shifty to me. Draw you own conclusions.

>BTW, anyone ever encountered problems with plovers? nasty >little
>sods too.

I've never heard of cyclists being attacked by plovers and I've
regularly riden through plover territory without problems but yes
these birds are worse than magpies. Even though I've been attacked by
magpies I still have more respect for them because plovers are just so
damn stupid.

However, I wonder how long it will be before someone turns around
and sues National Parks and Wildlife and the RSPCA after losing an
eye to a magpie.

Paul Jones
September 16th 03, 09:28 AM
I remember refereeing a game of touch footy in plover territory.

This little bird spent the whole game divebombing everyone - he just didnt
give up!

One of the funniest things I have seen on a footy field

Paul

Paul J wrote:

> >Yes, there is another conspiracy.
>
> >Dr Hugh Wirth, the ever tactful leader of the RSPCA, got stuck >into a
> >ABC radio talkback caller on the 6/9, who had the sheer >nerve to
> >mention he was a cyclist & had probs with magpies.
>
> >Dr Hugh responded that he disliked cyclists & sided with the >birds.
> >Sounds very shifty to me. Draw you own conclusions.
>
> >BTW, anyone ever encountered problems with plovers? nasty >little
> >sods too.
>
> I've never heard of cyclists being attacked by plovers and I've
> regularly riden through plover territory without problems but yes
> these birds are worse than magpies. Even though I've been attacked by
> magpies I still have more respect for them because plovers are just so
> damn stupid.
>
> However, I wonder how long it will be before someone turns around
> and sues National Parks and Wildlife and the RSPCA after losing an
> eye to a magpie.
>
> --

Tom N
September 16th 03, 03:22 PM
A guy was killed recently by a magpie striking his eye.

See e.g. http://tinyurl.com/njf1 which is
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,7171577%255E2862,00.html

What techniques work depends on the individual magpie. In the case of the
above magpie, a shotgun is appropriate.

I try to give magpies plenty of space at all times, hopefully that helps
them stay calm and be human-friendly in the future.

http://tinyurl.com/njg2 (which is
http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,7238628%255E3102,00.html
) says...
Bird expert Dr Peter Mather, from Queensland University of Technology,
said the traditional view of why magpies attacked was they had past problems
with humans and long memories.
Dr Mather said the birds lived 20 to 25 years and might brand all humans
as threats, like goannas, after a single act of aggression.
"While it hasn't been 100 per cent demonstrated, there is certainly
evidence that magpies are not usually aggressive until someone interferes
with their young," Dr Mather said.

I am thinking of putting my little dog (7kg) on the bike rack - but I am not
sure if that would entice them more or less.

Anyone tried one of those legionairres hats (cloth flapping around behind
your head) under your helmet, or a bike flag?

"amirm" > wrote in message
> Yesterday, the confounded birds got me three times.
>
> I took a spin to catch up with my weekly kms. On the route that I
> normally take for this purpose, I have been being swooped on two
> locations regularly. Yesterday, I took an extended version of the route
> and the third bird got me, too.
>
> After encountering these birds I can see that their swooping behaviour
> varies. One of them only comes close so I can hear him/her approaching,
> but never makes any contact. The second bird (different spot) always
> makes only one contact. It feels as if he/she kind of grabs on my jersy
> for a short time. No contacts with helmet. Since I do about 50-60 kmh on
> that part of the route, I guess one swoop is enough, and by then I have
> already left the territory!
>
> The bloody third one yesterday got me when I was doing like 30 kmh. This
> one kept bashing on my helmet. At least 6-7 times! It wouldn't let me
> go. Kept coming back for a good 300 meters. I got so angry I thought I
> would grab the bloody neck of the bird and snap the dumb head off, but I
> could only wish!

hippy
September 17th 03, 04:28 AM
"amirm" > wrote in message
> By the way, the day after I posted the original message, a fourth
maggie
> got me in the ear! No damage was done though. That was the day I tried

I think they've picked up on this thread, those maggies,
because I got tapped on the helmet this morning, riding
along Dandenong Rd. First one for the season...

I don't really see what the fuss is about though, I've only
ever had them tap my helmet - some of the horror stories
posted though make it seem like I'm a lucky survivor or
something! :-)

hippy

hippy
September 17th 03, 04:28 AM
"amirm" > wrote in message
> By the way, the day after I posted the original message, a fourth
maggie
> got me in the ear! No damage was done though. That was the day I tried

I think they've picked up on this thread, those maggies,
because I got tapped on the helmet this morning, riding
along Dandenong Rd. First one for the season...

I don't really see what the fuss is about though, I've only
ever had them tap my helmet - some of the horror stories
posted though make it seem like I'm a lucky survivor or
something! :-)

hippy

Tom N
September 17th 03, 04:31 AM
"amirm" > wrote in message
> So the fact that government removes nests of aggressive magpies from
> public places is going to make them worse.
>
> By the way, the day after I posted the original message, a fourth maggie
> got me in the ear! No damage was done though. That was the day I tried
> an entirely new route to avoid other menacing magpies and had to lap 7
> times to get my daily kms. The same maggie swooped on me (got my ear
> only on the first attempt which almost gave me a heart attack!) twice
> per lap. After 5 laps (10 swoops) I gave up. Went somewhere else and did
> the rest of training. Damn, it's so hard not to find a peaceful place to
> do our harmless business. It's either drivers, pedestrians, dogs or
> magpies. Huh! Got it out of my system finally ;)

Last year I think a poster suggested a clear plastic shield attached to your
helmet and covering the back of your head and ears.

But it sounds like you need to cover your face as well - at least eyes, with
eyeglasses, sunglasses or builder's eye protectors from the hardware store
(NB some of the latter are pretty stylish and well priced these days -
basically they look like low-tint sunglasses with good coverage).

I've got the ultimate solution - a Triton Powered Respirator! :-) Basically
a construction (builder's) helmet with a full face shield attached, ear
protectors, a cloth shroud over your neck and back of head plus a
battery-powered fan blowing filtered air into the whole thing. Not only
protects you from magpies, but also verbal abuse from old ladies (when
riding on footpaths) and car drivers, and pollution. Helmet probably not
approved for cycling though :-( And you look like a cross between Bob the
Builder and a cyborg? from Dr Who.

Tom N
September 17th 03, 04:31 AM
"amirm" > wrote in message
> So the fact that government removes nests of aggressive magpies from
> public places is going to make them worse.
>
> By the way, the day after I posted the original message, a fourth maggie
> got me in the ear! No damage was done though. That was the day I tried
> an entirely new route to avoid other menacing magpies and had to lap 7
> times to get my daily kms. The same maggie swooped on me (got my ear
> only on the first attempt which almost gave me a heart attack!) twice
> per lap. After 5 laps (10 swoops) I gave up. Went somewhere else and did
> the rest of training. Damn, it's so hard not to find a peaceful place to
> do our harmless business. It's either drivers, pedestrians, dogs or
> magpies. Huh! Got it out of my system finally ;)

Last year I think a poster suggested a clear plastic shield attached to your
helmet and covering the back of your head and ears.

But it sounds like you need to cover your face as well - at least eyes, with
eyeglasses, sunglasses or builder's eye protectors from the hardware store
(NB some of the latter are pretty stylish and well priced these days -
basically they look like low-tint sunglasses with good coverage).

I've got the ultimate solution - a Triton Powered Respirator! :-) Basically
a construction (builder's) helmet with a full face shield attached, ear
protectors, a cloth shroud over your neck and back of head plus a
battery-powered fan blowing filtered air into the whole thing. Not only
protects you from magpies, but also verbal abuse from old ladies (when
riding on footpaths) and car drivers, and pollution. Helmet probably not
approved for cycling though :-( And you look like a cross between Bob the
Builder and a cyborg? from Dr Who.

Justin Turner
September 17th 03, 04:53 AM
Apologies to those who don't know the area in Sydney I'm talking about. It's
about 15km southwest of the city itself. Also, apologies about the length -
it's fresh in the mind.

Along the M5 East (freeway) in Sydney part of the cycleway is closed for
work on the Metrogrid project (new underground power mains into the city).
It's the southern side between Kingsgrove & Bexley Rd's. This sent me via
the northern side of the M5 last week. It's partially back streets with some
cycleway through a park.

I got into the park & bingo! The first swoop stunned me, fortunately I
immediately realised what has happening & dropped the hammer. This seemed to
inspire the magpie as it could swoop me 3 or 4 times in a single pass. I had
about 500m to Kingsgrove road & I was moving (I'm a sprinter). The bird kept
coming. About 150m from the road, I started to worry, as it's a big
intersection with an exit/entry to the motorway. I thought 'what the f*** am
I going to do if I hit the intersection at 50-60k's with this bird still
attacking me?'. Fortunately, it gave up about 75m from the road & swung up
on to a light pole to stare at me for a while. I stopped at the lights &
composed myself. A rough count would have put the number of passes at about
25, with contact being made 3 or 4 times. Understandably, I took an
alternate route back to Bexley Rd on the way home (via Kingsgrove Ave).

Today, I headed to Roselands shopping centre (on another note, anyone know
if there are any proper bike racks there?). I travelled the northern side of
the M5 east again, this time I stuck to the streets up until just before
Kingsgrove Rd (avoiding the pathway). No attack. I got to King Georges Rd &
waited at the lights (opposite a school). A magpie arrive & looked down at
me from up on the lights. I started to worry & after a while, I stupidly
broke eye contact. Whoosh! I managed to lock back on to it until the lights
changed. Then it chased me down King Georges Rd for a bit & buggered off.
Another location to avoid.

On my way home, I took a slightly different route & managed to race through
the intersection before any 'incidents'. Now all I had to do was retrace my
route home & I'd be safe, right? Wrong! Back in the Kingsgrove Rd to Bexley
Rd stretch I was cruising through the 'safe' back streets when I got the tap
on the helmet. The chase was on again. I raced through most of the way to
Bexley Rd & was "only" swooped 7 or 8 times with no contact, but I'm pretty
sure it was the same mongrel from last week. They say they remember. Either
it was venturing a street across from the pathway, or it spotted me across
the way.

Anyway, great timing on the Metrogrid closure Transgid! A nice barren piece
of bike path with no trees between a freeway & a canal. Perfect for riding
at this time of the year. No, lets send the pedestrians & cyclists through
the trees in September.

When are they meant to stop swooping anyway?

Cheers,

Justin

..htmlhttp://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,7171577%-

mlhttp://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,723862-

> > riot.net.au...
> > > Yesterday, the confounded birds got me three times.
> > >
> > > I took a spin to catch up with my weekly kms. On the route that I
> > > normally take for this purpose, I have been being swooped on two
> > > locations regularly. Yesterday, I took an extended version of the
> > > route and the third bird got me, too.
> > >
> > > After encountering these birds I can see that their swooping
behaviour
> > > varies. One of them only comes close so I can hear him/her
> > > approaching, but never makes any contact. The second bird (different
> > > spot) always makes only one contact. It feels as if he/she kind of
> > > grabs on my jersy for a short time. No contacts with helmet. Since I
> > > do about 50-60 kmh on that part of the route, I guess one swoop is
> > > enough, and by then I have already left the territory!
> > >
> > > The bloody third one yesterday got me when I was doing like 30 kmh.
> > > This one kept bashing on my helmet. At least 6-7 times! It wouldn't
> > > let me go. Kept coming back for a good 300 meters. I got so angry I
> > > thought I would grab the bloody neck of the bird and snap the dumb
> > > head off, but I could only wish!
>
> So the fact that government removes nests of aggressive magpies from
> public places is going to make them worse.
>
> By the way, the day after I posted the original message, a fourth maggie
> got me in the ear! No damage was done though. That was the day I tried
> an entirely new route to avoid other menacing magpies and had to lap 7
> times to get my daily kms. The same maggie swooped on me (got my ear
> only on the first attempt which almost gave me a heart attack!) twice
> per lap. After 5 laps (10 swoops) I gave up. Went somewhere else and did
> the rest of training. Damn, it's so hard not to find a peaceful place to
> do our harmless business. It's either drivers, pedestrians, dogs or
> magpies. Huh! Got it out of my system finally ;)
>

> --

Tom N
September 17th 03, 06:51 AM
"Justin Turner" > wrote
> Along the M5 East (freeway) in Sydney part of the cycleway is closed for
> work on the Metrogrid project (new underground power mains into the city).
> It's the southern side between Kingsgrove & Bexley Rd's. This sent me via
> the northern side of the M5 last week. It's partially back streets with
some
> cycleway through a park.

Dunno about that bike path but I've seen bike paths in Melbourne closed to
be reconcreted. Didn't actually stop me using the path - I was riding on
smooth earth instead of concrete.

Maybe you should investigate how "closed" it really is. But the underground
power mains bit could be a worry.

Tom N
September 17th 03, 06:51 AM
"Justin Turner" > wrote
> Along the M5 East (freeway) in Sydney part of the cycleway is closed for
> work on the Metrogrid project (new underground power mains into the city).
> It's the southern side between Kingsgrove & Bexley Rd's. This sent me via
> the northern side of the M5 last week. It's partially back streets with
some
> cycleway through a park.

Dunno about that bike path but I've seen bike paths in Melbourne closed to
be reconcreted. Didn't actually stop me using the path - I was riding on
smooth earth instead of concrete.

Maybe you should investigate how "closed" it really is. But the underground
power mains bit could be a worry.

Tom N
September 17th 03, 07:03 AM
Maybe they don't see hippies as a threat. Could be the flowers on your
clothes :-) or the long hair or the tie-dye T shirts.

The only real danger is a) your eyes and b) you crash into something/ fall
off/ get hit by a car while worrying about being swooped and pecked.
Otherwise the danger of a magpie is no worse than the danger of a moderate
"off".

Puts me off riding in magpie season. But maybe I am a wuss.

The bike paths near me all seem to have at least one swooping magpie - in
one place the council even put up a "Danger swooping magpie" (Kew - near
Chandler Hwy bridge over Eastern Fwy) so that bugger must be bad (never seen
him myself).

"hippy" > wrote in message
> "amirm" > wrote in message
> > By the way, the day after I posted the original message, a fourth
> maggie
> > got me in the ear! No damage was done though. That was the day I tried
>
> I think they've picked up on this thread, those maggies,
> because I got tapped on the helmet this morning, riding
> along Dandenong Rd. First one for the season...
>
> I don't really see what the fuss is about though, I've only
> ever had them tap my helmet - some of the horror stories
> posted though make it seem like I'm a lucky survivor or
> something! :-)

Andy White
September 17th 03, 09:25 AM
In article >,
says...
> "amirm" > wrote in message
> > By the way, the day after I posted the original message, a fourth
> maggie
> > got me in the ear! No damage was done though. That was the day I tried
>
> I think they've picked up on this thread, those maggies,
> because I got tapped on the helmet this morning, riding
> along Dandenong Rd. First one for the season...
>
> I don't really see what the fuss is about though, I've only
> ever had them tap my helmet - some of the horror stories
> posted though make it seem like I'm a lucky survivor or
> something! :-)
>
> hippy

I'm with you there. I know where they are, so don't get a huge fright
(which could be bad for you) when I get tapped on the helmet several
times. I do make sure that I don't turn around to frighten it away, as
I worry about my eyes. Easy to simply keep riding and ignore the thing.

Andy White
September 17th 03, 09:25 AM
In article >,
says...
> "amirm" > wrote in message
> > By the way, the day after I posted the original message, a fourth
> maggie
> > got me in the ear! No damage was done though. That was the day I tried
>
> I think they've picked up on this thread, those maggies,
> because I got tapped on the helmet this morning, riding
> along Dandenong Rd. First one for the season...
>
> I don't really see what the fuss is about though, I've only
> ever had them tap my helmet - some of the horror stories
> posted though make it seem like I'm a lucky survivor or
> something! :-)
>
> hippy

I'm with you there. I know where they are, so don't get a huge fright
(which could be bad for you) when I get tapped on the helmet several
times. I do make sure that I don't turn around to frighten it away, as
I worry about my eyes. Easy to simply keep riding and ignore the thing.

Suzy Jackson
September 17th 03, 09:37 AM
In article >,
says...

> I don't really see what the fuss is about though, I've only
> ever had them tap my helmet - some of the horror stories
> posted though make it seem like I'm a lucky survivor or
> something! :-)
>
> hippy

When I was a little tot, I ended up with a couple of stitches in the top of
my head where one hit me. Scared the bejesus out of me. I did a Superman
into the side of a car a couple of years ago, and obliterated the original
scar, replacing it with a decent fifteen stitch one.

Regards,

Suzy

Suzy Jackson
September 17th 03, 09:37 AM
In article >,
says...

> I don't really see what the fuss is about though, I've only
> ever had them tap my helmet - some of the horror stories
> posted though make it seem like I'm a lucky survivor or
> something! :-)
>
> hippy

When I was a little tot, I ended up with a couple of stitches in the top of
my head where one hit me. Scared the bejesus out of me. I did a Superman
into the side of a car a couple of years ago, and obliterated the original
scar, replacing it with a decent fifteen stitch one.

Regards,

Suzy

hippy
September 17th 03, 02:27 PM
"Tom N" > wrote in message news:MAQ9b.107501$bo1.95787@news-
> But it sounds like you need to cover your face as well - at least eyes,
with
> eyeglasses, sunglasses or builder's eye protectors from the hardware store
> (NB some of the latter are pretty stylish and well priced these days -
> basically they look like low-tint sunglasses with good coverage).

Well it's my opinion that you should always wear glasses of some
sort while riding anyway. Unless I'm just going to the shops, I'll
always have my $15 yellow (for night visibility) safety glasses on.
Before you worry that my socks are pulled to my knees and I've
got trousers clips on (sorry anyone who likes this look).. these
actually look ok. As Tom says, they just look like a standard
pair of Oakley knockoffs, but have clear-yellow lens. I do have
another pair with a dark tint for daytime summer riding and a
pair of Scott, but they give everything a strong red tint.

> I've got the ultimate solution - a Triton Powered Respirator! :-)
Basically
> a construction (builder's) helmet with a full face shield attached, ear
> protectors, a cloth shroud over your neck and back of head plus a
> battery-powered fan blowing filtered air into the whole thing. Not only
> protects you from magpies, but also verbal abuse from old ladies (when

If verbal abuse from old ladies is a problem.. you are riding too slow! :-)

> riding on footpaths) and car drivers, and pollution. Helmet probably not
> approved for cycling though :-( And you look like a cross between Bob
the
> Builder and a cyborg? from Dr Who.

Cool. ;-)
Do they come tie-dyed?

hippy

hippy
September 17th 03, 02:27 PM
"Tom N" > wrote in message news:MAQ9b.107501$bo1.95787@news-
> But it sounds like you need to cover your face as well - at least eyes,
with
> eyeglasses, sunglasses or builder's eye protectors from the hardware store
> (NB some of the latter are pretty stylish and well priced these days -
> basically they look like low-tint sunglasses with good coverage).

Well it's my opinion that you should always wear glasses of some
sort while riding anyway. Unless I'm just going to the shops, I'll
always have my $15 yellow (for night visibility) safety glasses on.
Before you worry that my socks are pulled to my knees and I've
got trousers clips on (sorry anyone who likes this look).. these
actually look ok. As Tom says, they just look like a standard
pair of Oakley knockoffs, but have clear-yellow lens. I do have
another pair with a dark tint for daytime summer riding and a
pair of Scott, but they give everything a strong red tint.

> I've got the ultimate solution - a Triton Powered Respirator! :-)
Basically
> a construction (builder's) helmet with a full face shield attached, ear
> protectors, a cloth shroud over your neck and back of head plus a
> battery-powered fan blowing filtered air into the whole thing. Not only
> protects you from magpies, but also verbal abuse from old ladies (when

If verbal abuse from old ladies is a problem.. you are riding too slow! :-)

> riding on footpaths) and car drivers, and pollution. Helmet probably not
> approved for cycling though :-( And you look like a cross between Bob
the
> Builder and a cyborg? from Dr Who.

Cool. ;-)
Do they come tie-dyed?

hippy

Justin Turner
September 18th 03, 04:38 AM
Unfortunately it's totally fenced off & full of excavators & trucks. It's
part of a 28km trench to the city (which is going to be passing by my street
shortly so I'm told). It's streets or swoops for me until the end of
November.

"Tom N" > wrote in message
> "Justin Turner" > wrote
> > Along the M5 East (freeway) in Sydney part of the cycleway is closed for
> > work on the Metrogrid project (new underground power mains into the
city).
> > It's the southern side between Kingsgrove & Bexley Rd's. This sent me
via
> > the northern side of the M5 last week. It's partially back streets with
> some
> > cycleway through a park.
>
> Dunno about that bike path but I've seen bike paths in Melbourne closed to
> be reconcreted. Didn't actually stop me using the path - I was riding on
> smooth earth instead of concrete.
>
> Maybe you should investigate how "closed" it really is. But the
underground
> power mains bit could be a worry.

hippy
September 18th 03, 01:30 PM
"Justin Turner" > wrote in
message u...
> Unfortunately it's totally fenced off & full of excavators & trucks. It's
> part of a 28km trench to the city (which is going to be passing by my
street
> shortly so I'm told). It's streets or swoops for me until the end of
> November.

They're not that bad.. just look at them as a challenging 'obstacle' ;)
There was one persistant one last year near Heatherdale Rd. I
think on his best day, he tapped my helmet 7 times as I went
past. I used to try and get tricky and sneak up on him
on the service road and then sprint when I saw him - great fun! :)

hippy
- what doesn't peck your eyes out makes you stronger!

hippy
September 18th 03, 01:30 PM
"Justin Turner" > wrote in
message u...
> Unfortunately it's totally fenced off & full of excavators & trucks. It's
> part of a 28km trench to the city (which is going to be passing by my
street
> shortly so I'm told). It's streets or swoops for me until the end of
> November.

They're not that bad.. just look at them as a challenging 'obstacle' ;)
There was one persistant one last year near Heatherdale Rd. I
think on his best day, he tapped my helmet 7 times as I went
past. I used to try and get tricky and sneak up on him
on the service road and then sprint when I saw him - great fun! :)

hippy
- what doesn't peck your eyes out makes you stronger!

agamlen
September 19th 03, 12:04 AM
They won't evolve into non-swooping maggies. You will just select out
the ones who are not to good at it and help to breed super swoopers.

Mitch Pollard wrote:
> I dont want to come across as cruel or evil, but ever since i saw my best
> mate get smashed hard in the head when we were 9 years old. from a dirty
> maggie. Ive had a chip on my shoulder. I always play baseball with them.
> remember, evolution with only happen if you change things. and by me, owning
> maggies when they swoop. they will evolve into non swooping bitches..
>

> "Jock" > wrote in message
>
>>Think how you would be feeling if your nuts had just grown 20 times
>
> larger.
>
>>I reckon I'd be a little touchy as well and lash out here & there.
>>The hat with eyes on the back is the go. They are cowards & won't attack
>>you if they think you can see them.
>>Jock
>>"amirm" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Yesterday, the confounded birds got me three times.
>>>
>>>I took a spin to catch up with my weekly kms. On the route that I
>>>normally take for this purpose, I have been being swooped on two
>>>locations regularly. Yesterday, I took an extended version of the route
>>>and the third bird got me, too.
>>>
>>>After encountering these birds I can see that their swooping behaviour
>>>varies. One of them only comes close so I can hear him/her approaching,
>>>but never makes any contact. The second bird (different spot) always
>>>makes only one contact. It feels as if he/she kind of grabs on my jersy
>>>for a short time. No contacts with helmet. Since I do about 50-60 kmh on
>>>that part of the route, I guess one swoop is enough, and by then I have
>>>already left the territory!
>>>
>>>The bloody third one yesterday got me when I was doing like 30 kmh. This
>>>one kept bashing on my helmet. At least 6-7 times! It wouldn't let me
>>>go. Kept coming back for a good 300 meters. I got so angry I thought I
>>>would grab the bloody neck of the bird and snap the dumb head off, but I
>>>could only wish!
>>>

>>>--

patch70
September 19th 03, 03:43 AM
Yesterday I saw a magpie attacking a flying goose that was about 4 or 5
times its size. The goose looked scared too.

Thus:
(1) cyclists are not the only ones to be attacked by magpies. Geese are
also attacked.
(2) I have seen the occasional cyclist looking like a goose.

Is there a connection???

patch70 wrote:
> Yesterday I saw a magpie attacking a flying goose that was about 4 or 5
> times its size. The goose looked scared too.
> Thus:
> (1) cyclists are not the only ones to be attacked by magpies. Geese are
> also attacked.
> (2) I have seen the occasional cyclist looking like a goose.
> Is there a connection???

Your logic is skewed mate! ;)

amirm
September 19th 03, 03:43 AM
patch70 wrote:
> Yesterday I saw a magpie attacking a flying goose that was about 4 or 5
> times its size. The goose looked scared too.
> Thus:
> (1) cyclists are not the only ones to be attacked by magpies. Geese are
> also attacked.
> (2) I have seen the occasional cyclist looking like a goose.
> Is there a connection???

Your logic is skewed mate! ;)

patch70
September 19th 03, 07:37 AM
amirm wrote:
> Your logic is skewed mate! ;)

Must be all the magpie beaks penetrating my skull over the years...

--

amirm wrote:
> Your logic is skewed mate! ;)

Must be all the magpie beaks penetrating my skull over the years...

--
it's all a creeping beige conspiracy

Dorre
September 25th 03, 05:44 AM
amirm > wrote:
# Tom N wrote:
[...]

Removing nests doesn't prevent aggressive birds breeding in future
years and so passing on their aggressive genes.
But traits like swooping are usually pretty heritable. If there were
a way of preventing the aggressive birds from breeding, I'm sure there'd
be equally many birds in urban area, and much better behaved ones too.
Dorre

Dorre
September 25th 03, 05:44 AM
amirm > wrote:
# Tom N wrote:
[...]

September 25th 03, 09:08 PM
"Dorre" wrote:

> Removing nests doesn't prevent aggressive birds breeding in
> future years and so passing on their aggressive genes.
> But traits like swooping are usually pretty heritable. If
> there were a way of preventing the aggressive birds from
> breeding, I'm sure there'd be equally many birds in urban area,
> and much better behaved ones too.

I think we could have a "nature or nurture" debate about this.
Birds have a remarkable ability to learn, copying the behaviour
of successful parents (imprinting??).

Normally, magpies stop swooping as soon as the young leave the
nest (but different pairs nest at different times through the
spring). But come November/December, you'll see half-hearted
swooping behaviour from dad magpie with junior (nearly
full-sized) watching attentively nearby. I suspect that part of
the training includes which animals to swoop.

Taming suburban birds by feeding them just might be the most
effective strategy - sounds like a PhD topic for someone...

John

John Henderson
September 25th 03, 09:08 PM
"Dorre" wrote:

> Removing nests doesn't prevent aggressive birds breeding in
> future years and so passing on their aggressive genes.
> But traits like swooping are usually pretty heritable. If
> there were a way of preventing the aggressive birds from
> breeding, I'm sure there'd be equally many birds in urban area,
> and much better behaved ones too.

I think we could have a "nature or nurture" debate about this.
Birds have a remarkable ability to learn, copying the behaviour
of successful parents (imprinting??).

Normally, magpies stop swooping as soon as the young leave the
nest (but different pairs nest at different times through the
spring). But come November/December, you'll see half-hearted
swooping behaviour from dad magpie with junior (nearly
full-sized) watching attentively nearby. I suspect that part of
the training includes which animals to swoop.

Taming suburban birds by feeding them just might be the most
effective strategy - sounds like a PhD topic for someone...

John

hippy
September 27th 03, 12:47 AM
"Dorre" > wrote in message
> Removing nests doesn't prevent aggressive birds breeding in future
> years and so passing on their aggressive genes.
> But traits like swooping are usually pretty heritable. If there were
> a way of preventing the aggressive birds from breeding, I'm sure there'd
> be equally many birds in urban area, and much better behaved ones too.

What about traits like dumping the clutch at 6000rpm, impatience,
speeding, accelerating through amber/red lights, throwing stuff
from car windows, road rage, the "need" to take little Emily to
MLC in the biggest car available and the apparently linked
inability to drive this "tank".
I would much prefer these traits to be removed from humans...
the birds can continue do as they please - they present the
least of my concerns on the road.

</rant>
hippy

hippy
September 27th 03, 12:47 AM
"Dorre" > wrote in message
> Removing nests doesn't prevent aggressive birds breeding in future
> years and so passing on their aggressive genes.
> But traits like swooping are usually pretty heritable. If there were
> a way of preventing the aggressive birds from breeding, I'm sure there'd
> be equally many birds in urban area, and much better behaved ones too.

What about traits like dumping the clutch at 6000rpm, impatience,
speeding, accelerating through amber/red lights, throwing stuff
from car windows, road rage, the "need" to take little Emily to
MLC in the biggest car available and the apparently linked
inability to drive this "tank".
I would much prefer these traits to be removed from humans...
the birds can continue do as they please - they present the
least of my concerns on the road.

</rant>
hippy

Chris_L
September 27th 03, 08:33 PM
The real fun starts when you get attacked by two magpies at once, as
happened to me a couple of weeks ago!

I've taken to squirting them with my waterbottle, which will at least
deter an attack for a few seconds, giving you time to get out of their
"zone" (magpies do seem to be pretty territorial). Although right now in
hot, drought-affected Queensland, I think the waste of water might be
worse than anything the magpie might do.

--
Stop the world...
This is where I get off.

Chris_L
September 27th 03, 08:33 PM
The real fun starts when you get attacked by two magpies at once, as
happened to me a couple of weeks ago!

I've taken to squirting them with my waterbottle, which will at least
deter an attack for a few seconds, giving you time to get out of their
"zone" (magpies do seem to be pretty territorial). Although right now in
hot, drought-affected Queensland, I think the waste of water might be
worse than anything the magpie might do.

--
Stop the world...
This is where I get off.

cfsmtb
September 28th 03, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by Chris_L The real fun starts when you get attacked
by two magpies at once, as happened to me a couple of weeks ago!

Did anyone in Melbourne earlier this week see the picture in MX of the
young cyclist from QLD with a ****ed off butcher bird attempting to
climb inside his right nostril? ouccchhhh.

But far greater dangers await us, methinks. Other than a couple of
sore looking Pies fans this morning (I'm a old Fitzroy fan, feeling
VERY smug)

Powerful Owls are starting to move back into the suburbs in search of
prey. These buggers can carry off large possies, so secure all small
dogs, kitties, children and stick to steel framed MTB's, full face
helmets & Dainese body armour.....:eek:

--
[...]

September 28th 03, 07:27 AM
"cfsmtb" wrote:

> Powerful Owls are starting to move back into the suburbs in
> search of prey. These buggers can carry off large possies, so
> secure all small dogs, kitties, children and stick to steel
> framed MTB's, full face helmets & Dainese body armour.....:eek:

Do they like the taste of magpie?

John

John Henderson
September 28th 03, 07:27 AM
"cfsmtb" wrote:

> Powerful Owls are starting to move back into the suburbs in
> search of prey. These buggers can carry off large possies, so
> secure all small dogs, kitties, children and stick to steel
> framed MTB's, full face helmets & Dainese body armour.....:eek:

Do they like the taste of magpie?

John

Dorre
October 2nd 03, 09:29 AM
John Henderson > wrote:
: "Dorre" wrote:
:> Removing nests doesn't prevent aggressive birds breeding in
:> future years and so passing on their aggressive genes.
:> But traits like swooping are usually pretty heritable. If
:> there were a way of preventing the aggressive birds from
:> breeding, I'm sure there'd be equally many birds in urban area,
:> and much better behaved ones too.

: I think we could have a "nature or nurture" debate about this.
: Birds have a remarkable ability to learn, copying the behaviour
: of successful parents (imprinting??).

Few traits are conrolled entirely by genes (nature) and not
many by the environment (nurture) either. Typically about
30% is genetic and the rest environmental, but behavioural
traits (temperament in cattle etc) often have heritabilities
as high as 50%.

: Normally, magpies stop swooping as soon as the young leave the
: nest (but different pairs nest at different times through the
: spring). But come November/December, you'll see half-hearted
: swooping behaviour from dad magpie with junior (nearly
: full-sized) watching attentively nearby. I suspect that part of
: the training includes which animals to swoop.

Undoubtedly magpies develop idiosyncrasies about which
animals to swoop. Some aren't even helpful. One TV program
commented about a magpie observed away from the nest swooping
some poor defenceless animal while a snake crawled up the tree
intent on eating the eggs.

Just because part of the trait is nurture doesn't mean
that preventing the worst offenders from breeding wouldn't
result in a much more harmonious relationship between birds
and humans in the future.

: Taming suburban birds by feeding them just might be the most
: effective strategy - sounds like a PhD topic for someone...

That usually works for the birds in the backyard, at least
for the people who feed them, wearing their normal clothes!
Ours will stand outside on the patio looking hopefully into
the house, even though we don't feed them that often (it
wouldn't be good for them!)

But other human-wildlife interactions are currently being
studied, so perhaps magpies will eventually be looked at
as well. As was noted in this group, several people have
been badly injured and one person apparently killed.

Any volunteers? (I already have a PhD in statistics/genetics :-()

Dorre

: John

Dorre
October 2nd 03, 09:29 AM
John Henderson > wrote:
: "Dorre" wrote:
[...]

Ben Long
October 7th 03, 07:54 AM
I've completely missed this thread. Was there any useful info on how to
avoid being swooped? I have 4 maggies along my route to work that have a go
at me every day. One is particularly nasty and my helmet has taken a few
hits. Little *******! I have been told that eye spots on the back of the
helmet might help. Anyone done this before?

"Dorre" > wrote in message news:blgnl9

Stuff about magpies...

Ben Long
October 7th 03, 07:54 AM
I've completely missed this thread. Was there any useful info on how to
avoid being swooped? I have 4 maggies along my route to work that have a go
at me every day. One is particularly nasty and my helmet has taken a few
hits. Little *******! I have been told that eye spots on the back of the
helmet might help. Anyone done this before?

"Dorre" > wrote in message news:blgnl9

Stuff about magpies...

grobbins(antispam)
October 7th 03, 08:50 AM
Yes Ben, I have tried eyes. Printed out the most venomous looking eyes
you could imagine, and in full colour. Impact? Nil.

Thought of using a couple of spokes strategically attached to helmet.
That is in the consideration stage only. Will advise after I experiment.

Graham R

Ben Long wrote:
> I've completely missed this thread. Was there any useful info on how to
> avoid being swooped? I have 4 maggies along my route to work that have a go
> at me every day. One is particularly nasty and my helmet has taken a few
> hits. Little *******! I have been told that eye spots on the back of the
> helmet might help. Anyone done this before?
>
> "Dorre" > wrote in message news:blgnl9
>
> Stuff about magpies...

Spider1977
October 7th 03, 11:56 AM
cfsmtb [/i]
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by Chris_L wrote:[i]
> The real fun starts when you get attacked by two magpies at once, as
> happened to me a couple of weeks ago!
> Did anyone in Melbourne earlier this week see the picture in MX of the
> young cyclist from QLD with a ****ed off butcher bird attempting to
> climb inside his right nostril? ouccchhhh.
> But far greater dangers await us, methinks. Other than a couple of
> sore looking Pies fans this morning (I'm a old Fitzroy fan, feeling
> VERY smug)
> Powerful Owls are starting to move back into the suburbs in search of
> prey. These buggers can carry off large possies, so secure all small
> dogs, kitties, children and stick to steel framed MTB's, full face
> helmets & Dainese body armour.....:eek:

As an old Fitzroy and now Brisbane fan, I am now convinced that magpies
couldn't swoop on granny if she was sitting on top of the goal post!

Spider1977
October 7th 03, 11:56 AM
cfsmtb [/i]
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by Chris_L wrote:[i]
> The real fun starts when you get attacked by two magpies at once, as
> happened to me a couple of weeks ago!
> Did anyone in Melbourne earlier this week see the picture in MX of the
> young cyclist from QLD with a ****ed off butcher bird attempting to
> climb inside his right nostril? ouccchhhh.
> But far greater dangers await us, methinks. Other than a couple of
> sore looking Pies fans this morning (I'm a old Fitzroy fan, feeling
> VERY smug)
> Powerful Owls are starting to move back into the suburbs in search of
> prey. These buggers can carry off large possies, so secure all small
> dogs, kitties, children and stick to steel framed MTB's, full face
> helmets & Dainese body armour.....:eek:

As an old Fitzroy and now Brisbane fan, I am now convinced that magpies
couldn't swoop on granny if she was sitting on top of the goal post!

cfsmtb
October 8th 03, 01:25 AM
Spider1977 wrote:
> As an old Fitzroy and now Brisbane fan, I am now convinced that magpies
> couldn't swoop on granny if she was sitting on top of the goal post!

Gawd, the CreamPies looked scared & useless during the entire four
quarters. Fans want a evenly matched GAME, not a ruddy turkeyshoot. Time
for the Rugby & Cricket to roll on...

By the way, DUCK ALERT, on Yarra Bike Trail, Burnley, approx 100m south
of Fenix Cafe.

Dad Duck and kids wandering up hill, Mum Duck squawking, flapping wings
and running down towards bemused cyclist on path.

Mum Duck is much smaller than me + heavy steel frame MTB, but she wins
points & ground on sheer pluckiness.:D

--

Spider1977 wrote:
> As an old Fitzroy and now Brisbane fan, I am now convinced that magpies
> couldn't swoop on granny if she was sitting on top of the goal post!

Gawd, the CreamPies looked scared & useless during the entire four
quarters. Fans want a evenly matched GAME, not a ruddy turkeyshoot. Time
for the Rugby & Cricket to roll on...

By the way, DUCK ALERT, on Yarra Bike Trail, Burnley, approx 100m south
of Fenix Cafe.

Dad Duck and kids wandering up hill, Mum Duck squawking, flapping wings
and running down towards bemused cyclist on path.

Mum Duck is much smaller than me + heavy steel frame MTB, but she wins
points & ground on sheer pluckiness.:D

--
it's all a creeping beige conspiracy

hippy
October 8th 03, 03:18 AM
"cfsmtb" > wrote in message
> By the way, DUCK ALERT, on Yarra Bike Trail, Burnley, approx 100m
south
> of Fenix Cafe.

A few weeks ago, on some road that turns off
Beach Rd. up into the city, I watched a motorist
herd ducks across the road to safety...
problem was the ducks wanted to get to the
"other" side of the road :-)
I didn't hang around long but there were two big
ones and a little one that the driver was lifting up
the curb..
<bitter-n-twisted-rider-mode=on>
Puzzled that no motorists stuck behind the ducks
and the herder beeped their horns after a couple
of minutes, when they would be fuming after only
seconds if I held them up...

hippy

hippy
October 8th 03, 03:18 AM
"cfsmtb" > wrote in message
> By the way, DUCK ALERT, on Yarra Bike Trail, Burnley, approx 100m
south
> of Fenix Cafe.

A few weeks ago, on some road that turns off
Beach Rd. up into the city, I watched a motorist
herd ducks across the road to safety...
problem was the ducks wanted to get to the
"other" side of the road :-)
I didn't hang around long but there were two big
ones and a little one that the driver was lifting up
the curb..
<bitter-n-twisted-rider-mode=on>
Puzzled that no motorists stuck behind the ducks
and the herder beeped their horns after a couple
of minutes, when they would be fuming after only
seconds if I held them up...

hippy

Shane Stanley
October 8th 03, 04:46 AM
in article , hippy wrote:

> Puzzled that no motorists stuck behind the ducks
> and the herder beeped their horns after a couple
> of minutes, when they would be fuming after only
> seconds if I held them up...

Perhaps a suitable riding costume might help ;-)

Shane

Shane Stanley
October 8th 03, 04:46 AM
in article , hippy wrote:

> Puzzled that no motorists stuck behind the ducks
> and the herder beeped their horns after a couple
> of minutes, when they would be fuming after only
> seconds if I held them up...

Perhaps a suitable riding costume might help ;-)

Shane

Tim Jones
October 8th 03, 05:01 AM
"cfsmtb" > wrote in message

<...>
> By the way, DUCK ALERT, on Yarra Bike Trail, Burnley, approx 100m south
> of Fenix Cafe.

<...>

Is that a little past Bridge rd away from the city?

Tim

Tim Jones
October 8th 03, 05:01 AM
"cfsmtb" > wrote in message

<...>
> By the way, DUCK ALERT, on Yarra Bike Trail, Burnley, approx 100m south
> of Fenix Cafe.

<...>

Is that a little past Bridge rd away from the city?

Tim

cfsmtb
October 9th 03, 09:31 AM
Shane Stanley wrote:
> Perhaps a suitable riding costume might help ;-) Shane

Yeah, I'll wear my Big Red Fat Cat costume. Should scare off the little
sods. Damn uncomfortable to train in though.:p

--

Shane Stanley wrote:
> Perhaps a suitable riding costume might help ;-) Shane

Yeah, I'll wear my Big Red Fat Cat costume. Should scare off the little
sods. Damn uncomfortable to train in though.:p

--
it's all a creeping beige conspiracy

it's all a creeping beige conspiracy

it's all a creeping beige conspiracy

hippy
October 10th 03, 10:00 AM
"cfsmtb" > wrote in message
> it's all a creeping beige conspiracy
> it's all a creeping beige conspiracy
> it's all a creeping beige conspiracy

> http://www.cyclingforums.com

How come your tagline gets repeated?
Is that for extra emphasis on "creeping"? ;-)

hippy
navy blue more so than beige...

hippy
October 10th 03, 10:00 AM
"cfsmtb" > wrote in message
> it's all a creeping beige conspiracy
> it's all a creeping beige conspiracy
> it's all a creeping beige conspiracy

> http://www.cyclingforums.com

How come your tagline gets repeated?
Is that for extra emphasis on "creeping"? ;-)

hippy
navy blue more so than beige...

cfsmtb
October 13th 03, 01:25 AM
hippy navy blue more so than beige...

dunno, it's only my signature. maybe some weird/dodgy code on the forum?

--
it's all a creeping beige conspiracy

cfsmtb
October 13th 03, 01:25 AM
hippy navy blue more so than beige...

dunno, it's only my signature. maybe some weird/dodgy code on the forum?

--
it's all a creeping beige conspiracy

hippy
October 13th 03, 03:38 AM
"cfsmtb" > wrote in message
> hippy navy blue more so than beige...
> dunno, it's only my signature. maybe some weird/dodgy code on the
forum?

On another totally unrelated note...
Do you have green or blue barends with
maybe blue and green tape on them?
and perhaps wear a red 'pointy' helmet?

hippy
attempted cross-forum data matcher ;-)

hippy
October 13th 03, 03:38 AM
"cfsmtb" > wrote in message
> hippy navy blue more so than beige...
> dunno, it's only my signature. maybe some weird/dodgy code on the
forum?

On another totally unrelated note...
Do you have green or blue barends with
maybe blue and green tape on them?
and perhaps wear a red 'pointy' helmet?

hippy
attempted cross-forum data matcher ;-)

cfsmtb
October 14th 03, 12:25 AM
On another totally unrelated note... Do you have green or blue barends
with maybe blue and green tape on them? and perhaps wear a red
'pointy' helmet?

hippy attempted cross-forum data matcher ;-)

bar ends sound right, helmet sounds like it belongs to another head.
have common yellow & silver Met helmet covered in stuff, skull light on
back. many different bikes though. you collating marketing info for
telemarketing or something?

--
it's all a creeping beige conspiracy

cfsmtb
October 14th 03, 12:25 AM
On another totally unrelated note... Do you have green or blue barends
with maybe blue and green tape on them? and perhaps wear a red
'pointy' helmet?

hippy attempted cross-forum data matcher ;-)

bar ends sound right, helmet sounds like it belongs to another head.
have common yellow & silver Met helmet covered in stuff, skull light on
back. many different bikes though. you collating marketing info for
telemarketing or something?

--
it's all a creeping beige conspiracy

BAH
October 14th 03, 01:12 AM
On 14 Oct 2003 09:15:26 +0950, cfsmtb > Wrote :
>On another totally unrelated note... Do you have green or blue barends
>with maybe blue and green tape on them? and perhaps wear a red
>'pointy' helmet?
>
>hippy attempted cross-forum data matcher ;-)
>
>bar ends sound right, helmet sounds like it belongs to another head.
>have common yellow & silver Met helmet covered in stuff, skull light on
>back. many different bikes though. you collating marketing info for
>telemarketing or something?

Nah he's been hired by the coalition of Magpies to undertake a
study to ensure that ALL cycling types are included in the
"Swoop 'n Peck" roster. Apparently some groups haven't been getting their
full quota of Swoops 'n Pecks of late.

>--
>it's all a creeping beige conspiracy

BAH Humbug

BAH
October 14th 03, 01:12 AM
On 14 Oct 2003 09:15:26 +0950, cfsmtb > Wrote :
>On another totally unrelated note... Do you have green or blue barends
>with maybe blue and green tape on them? and perhaps wear a red
>'pointy' helmet?
>
>hippy attempted cross-forum data matcher ;-)
>
>bar ends sound right, helmet sounds like it belongs to another head.
>have common yellow & silver Met helmet covered in stuff, skull light on
>back. many different bikes though. you collating marketing info for
>telemarketing or something?

Nah he's been hired by the coalition of Magpies to undertake a
study to ensure that ALL cycling types are included in the
"Swoop 'n Peck" roster. Apparently some groups haven't been getting their
full quota of Swoops 'n Pecks of late.

>--
>it's all a creeping beige conspiracy

BAH Humbug

hippy
October 14th 03, 05:25 AM
"cfsmtb" > wrote in message
> hippy attempted cross-forum data matcher ;-)
>
> bar ends sound right, helmet sounds like it belongs to another head.
> have common yellow & silver Met helmet covered in stuff, skull light
on
> back. many different bikes though. you collating marketing info for
> telemarketing or something?

hehe no.. i saw your name on the cmass forum and
noticed "devil girl" attached to it. This reminded me
of a photo I have from a cmass few years ago with
a chick who was wearing a red, furry, spikey,
very "devil-ish" helmet... hence the data matching
attempt. Just wondered if it was you - I could've
sent you the pic.

hippy

hippy
October 14th 03, 05:25 AM
"cfsmtb" > wrote in message
> hippy attempted cross-forum data matcher ;-)
>
> bar ends sound right, helmet sounds like it belongs to another head.
> have common yellow & silver Met helmet covered in stuff, skull light
on
> back. many different bikes though. you collating marketing info for
> telemarketing or something?

hehe no.. i saw your name on the cmass forum and
noticed "devil girl" attached to it. This reminded me
of a photo I have from a cmass few years ago with
a chick who was wearing a red, furry, spikey,
very "devil-ish" helmet... hence the data matching
attempt. Just wondered if it was you - I could've
sent you the pic.

hippy

hippy
October 14th 03, 05:45 AM
"BAH" > wrote in message
> Nah he's been hired by the coalition of Magpies to undertake a

Who the what the how the.. but but but... I don't
even LIKE football!! ;-)

> study to ensure that ALL cycling types are included in the
> "Swoop 'n Peck" roster. Apparently some groups haven't been getting
their
> full quota of Swoops 'n Pecks of late.

You better believe it! It's only gonna get worse for cyclists
from here on in. Team, we've got to pull our feathers up!
Too many riders are getting away with sticking their arms
up in the air or painting eyes on their helmets. We're maggies
for pity's sake! They are not real eyes! Now, get in their and
scratch some heads!!!

hippy
- magpie informer

hippy
October 14th 03, 05:45 AM
"BAH" > wrote in message
> Nah he's been hired by the coalition of Magpies to undertake a

Who the what the how the.. but but but... I don't
even LIKE football!! ;-)

> study to ensure that ALL cycling types are included in the
> "Swoop 'n Peck" roster. Apparently some groups haven't been getting
their
> full quota of Swoops 'n Pecks of late.

You better believe it! It's only gonna get worse for cyclists
from here on in. Team, we've got to pull our feathers up!
Too many riders are getting away with sticking their arms
up in the air or painting eyes on their helmets. We're maggies
for pity's sake! They are not real eyes! Now, get in their and
scratch some heads!!!

hippy
- magpie informer

cfsmtb
October 15th 03, 12:55 AM
hehe no.. i saw your name on the cmass forum and noticed "devil girl"
attached to it. This reminded me of a photo I have from a cmass few
years ago with a chick who was wearing a red, furry, spikey, very
"devil-ish" helmet... hence the data matching attempt. Just wondered if
it was you - I could've sent you the pic.

arr, we're cleared that up. yes, that's me. send me the photo, please.
have a habit of wearing stoopid stuff to Cm.

Are the magpies settling down out there? Are they still biting?

New one, SMALL INSECT ALERT for the Yarra Trail near Melbourne Park.
Small insects are diving and swooping onto cyclists. Can be easily
brushed away with a gloved hand.

--
[...]

October 18th 03, 02:09 AM
"cfsmtb" > wrote in message news:3f8c91a7
> arr, we're cleared that up. yes, that's me. send me the photo, please.
> have a habit of wearing stoopid stuff to Cm.

I _thought_ the chances of it _not_ being you were slim! :)
Do you have an email address I should use or do you
want it posted on a website?

I've just checked for the photo and it's not actually
one of mine, but my boss wont mind, I'm sure ;-)

> New one, SMALL INSECT ALERT for the Yarra Trail near Melbourne Park.
> Small insects are diving and swooping onto cyclists. Can be easily
> brushed away with a gloved hand.

Our office has been under siege for days now. Held
captive by small, vinegar fly-like insects constantly
dive bombing staff. They can do some serious
damage... especially if you try to belt one and smack
your co-worker in the head...

hippy ;-)

hippy
October 18th 03, 02:09 AM
"cfsmtb" > wrote in message news:3f8c91a7
> arr, we're cleared that up. yes, that's me. send me the photo, please.
> have a habit of wearing stoopid stuff to Cm.

I _thought_ the chances of it _not_ being you were slim! :)
Do you have an email address I should use or do you
want it posted on a website?

I've just checked for the photo and it's not actually
one of mine, but my boss wont mind, I'm sure ;-)

> New one, SMALL INSECT ALERT for the Yarra Trail near Melbourne Park.
> Small insects are diving and swooping onto cyclists. Can be easily
> brushed away with a gloved hand.

Our office has been under siege for days now. Held
captive by small, vinegar fly-like insects constantly
dive bombing staff. They can do some serious
damage... especially if you try to belt one and smack
your co-worker in the head...

hippy ;-)

Paul_MCMLIX
October 23rd 03, 01:20 AM
I've been buzzed a few times on the Fernleigh Track in
Newcastle...there's an old sheila who feeds the damn things and attracts
them from miles away. I've been very tempted to give them a feed
too....if you get the drift.

--
Nil illigitimus carborundum

Google