PDA

View Full Version : Bike roof rack

Turbo Fahel
September 15th 03, 12:49 PM
I have Rola roof racks on my 4wd and am looking for the best value Forkmount
Carrier bike rack. What do you recommend and where to buy from?

Thanks for any assistance.

--
Regards,
Turbo Fahel

---

Jock
September 15th 03, 01:12 PM
ROLA - in Sydney at Rhodes IIRC
Jock

"Turbo Fahel" > wrote in message
> I have Rola roof racks on my 4wd and am looking for the best value
Forkmount
> Carrier bike rack. What do you recommend and where to buy from?
>
> Thanks for any assistance.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Turbo Fahel
> __o
> -\<,
> ( ) / ( )
>

> ---

Jock
September 15th 03, 01:12 PM
ROLA - in Sydney at Rhodes IIRC
Jock

"Turbo Fahel" > wrote in message
> I have Rola roof racks on my 4wd and am looking for the best value
Forkmount
> Carrier bike rack. What do you recommend and where to buy from?
>
> Thanks for any assistance.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Turbo Fahel
> __o
> -\<,
> ( ) / ( )
>

> ---

Col Jones
September 15th 03, 01:19 PM
Check out the Rola website www.rola.com.au and then contact Rola,
Your NRMA (or even BNSW) membership may give you a discount direct or
armed with the product details you can ring around the dealers for a
quote.

Note check out the hight of your SUV first as putting a bike on the
roof can be a bit of a stretch and there is no point spending between
$114 and $158 for a rackmount that is a pain in the butt to use. I
have a Subaru foresster and this is about the max height that I would
want to stretch (in comfort). Other suppliers can provide a range of
towbar, spare wheel and rear hatch mount racks that may better suit
your size (human) and vehicle height Check out the SUV mags or bike
mags for more details

Rola
Unit C1/391 Regents Park Estate, Park Road, Regents Park 2143
PO Box 415 Regents Park 2143
Tel: (02) 9738 7666 Fax: (02) 9738 7844
Email:

cheers

Col

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 21:49:11 +1000, "Turbo Fahel"
> wrote:

>I have Rola roof racks on my 4wd and am looking for the best value Forkmount
>Carrier bike rack. What do you recommend and where to buy from?
>
>Thanks for any assistance.

Col Jones
September 15th 03, 01:19 PM
Check out the Rola website www.rola.com.au and then contact Rola,
Your NRMA (or even BNSW) membership may give you a discount direct or
armed with the product details you can ring around the dealers for a
quote.

Note check out the hight of your SUV first as putting a bike on the
roof can be a bit of a stretch and there is no point spending between
$114 and $158 for a rackmount that is a pain in the butt to use. I
have a Subaru foresster and this is about the max height that I would
want to stretch (in comfort). Other suppliers can provide a range of
towbar, spare wheel and rear hatch mount racks that may better suit
your size (human) and vehicle height Check out the SUV mags or bike
mags for more details

Rola
Unit C1/391 Regents Park Estate, Park Road, Regents Park 2143
PO Box 415 Regents Park 2143
Tel: (02) 9738 7666 Fax: (02) 9738 7844
Email:

cheers

Col

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 21:49:11 +1000, "Turbo Fahel"
> wrote:

>I have Rola roof racks on my 4wd and am looking for the best value Forkmount
>Carrier bike rack. What do you recommend and where to buy from?
>
>Thanks for any assistance.

Andrew Morris
September 15th 03, 01:27 PM
I had Rolas on my Celica, and bought a set of Thule bike carriers, which
mount on the Rola bars without any problems...

Very good carriers.. Bought them from Roof Carrier Systems in Camberwell
(http://www.roofcarriersystems.com.au), who were very thorough in
instructing how to fit the carriers to the bars, etc... Have bought 3 sets
of bars, and about 6 lots of accessories from them, and been totally
satisfied thus far...

"Turbo Fahel" > wrote in message
> I have Rola roof racks on my 4wd and am looking for the best value
Forkmount
> Carrier bike rack. What do you recommend and where to buy from?
>
> Thanks for any assistance.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Turbo Fahel
> __o
> -\<,
> ( ) / ( )
>

> ---

Andrew Morris
September 15th 03, 01:27 PM
I had Rolas on my Celica, and bought a set of Thule bike carriers, which
mount on the Rola bars without any problems...

Very good carriers.. Bought them from Roof Carrier Systems in Camberwell
(http://www.roofcarriersystems.com.au), who were very thorough in
instructing how to fit the carriers to the bars, etc... Have bought 3 sets
of bars, and about 6 lots of accessories from them, and been totally
satisfied thus far...

"Turbo Fahel" > wrote in message
> I have Rola roof racks on my 4wd and am looking for the best value
Forkmount
> Carrier bike rack. What do you recommend and where to buy from?
>
> Thanks for any assistance.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Turbo Fahel
> __o
> -\<,
> ( ) / ( )
>

> ---

Gags
September 15th 03, 01:46 PM
Turbo,

If you are in Melbourne, I have got a ROLA bike attachment that has been
sitting in the shed since I last had ROLA racks on the car (1995 I think).
I have just looked on the ROLA site http://www.rola.com.au/ and the ones
that they are selling look exactly like mine. I have got both the standard
and extended "bits" for the back wheel which allows the mount to be used for
basically any size car.

I am probably unlikely to get roof racks on the car in the near future and
the rack is only taking up space in the shed so if you are in Melbourne and
are interested, we might be able to do a deal. You can email me via my
website: www.ozemail.com.au/~drgagnon

Cheers,

Gags

"Turbo Fahel" > wrote in message
> I have Rola roof racks on my 4wd and am looking for the best value
Forkmount
> Carrier bike rack. What do you recommend and where to buy from?
>
> Thanks for any assistance.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Turbo Fahel
> __o
> -\<,
> ( ) / ( )
>

> ---

Gags
September 15th 03, 01:46 PM
Turbo,

If you are in Melbourne, I have got a ROLA bike attachment that has been
sitting in the shed since I last had ROLA racks on the car (1995 I think).
I have just looked on the ROLA site http://www.rola.com.au/ and the ones
that they are selling look exactly like mine. I have got both the standard
and extended "bits" for the back wheel which allows the mount to be used for
basically any size car.

I am probably unlikely to get roof racks on the car in the near future and
the rack is only taking up space in the shed so if you are in Melbourne and
are interested, we might be able to do a deal. You can email me via my
website: www.ozemail.com.au/~drgagnon

Cheers,

Gags

"Turbo Fahel" > wrote in message
> I have Rola roof racks on my 4wd and am looking for the best value
Forkmount
> Carrier bike rack. What do you recommend and where to buy from?
>
> Thanks for any assistance.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Turbo Fahel
> __o
> -\<,
> ( ) / ( )
>

> ---

mikeg
September 15th 03, 04:12 PM
Turbo Fahel wrote:
> I have Rola roof racks on my 4wd and am looking for the best
> value Forkmount Carrier bike rack. What do you recommend and
> where to buy from?
> Thanks for any assistance.
> --
> Regards, Turbo Fahel __o -\<, ( ) / ( )
> ---
> Virus Database: 316 - Release Date: 11/09/2003

Rhino Rack in Rydalmere Sydney have a fork mount rack, also is disc
brake compatable, which are supposed to be compatable with Rola Racks.
They also have a range of towbar and 2" receiver hitch rear bike racks
fixed and fold down. Their fork mount is priced about the same as short
rail version of the Rola fork mount.

http://www.rhinorack.com.au/

Michael

mikeg
September 15th 03, 04:12 PM
Turbo Fahel wrote:
> I have Rola roof racks on my 4wd and am looking for the best
> value Forkmount Carrier bike rack. What do you recommend and
> where to buy from?
> Thanks for any assistance.
> --
> Regards, Turbo Fahel __o -\<, ( ) / ( )
> ---
> Virus Database: 316 - Release Date: 11/09/2003

Rhino Rack in Rydalmere Sydney have a fork mount rack, also is disc
brake compatable, which are supposed to be compatable with Rola Racks.
They also have a range of towbar and 2" receiver hitch rear bike racks
fixed and fold down. Their fork mount is priced about the same as short
rail version of the Rola fork mount.

http://www.rhinorack.com.au/

Michael

Glen F
September 16th 03, 01:26 AM
> Note check out the hight of your SUV first as putting a bike on the
> roof can be a bit of a stretch and there is no point spending between
> $114 and $158 for a rackmount that is a pain in the butt to use.

Yep, and how long before you forget and drive under that lowish
thing? Much more of an issue on a tall 4WDs.

Also, there seems to be more stress on the bike forks way up there,
even without hitting something. I have twice broken expensive alloy
MTB fork dropouts on the roof, both from "incidents" rather than
actual hits. Then there was that other time that I drove under the
house.....

Suggest look at a Thule spare wheel rack, or one of the towbar systems.

Glen F
September 16th 03, 01:26 AM
> Note check out the hight of your SUV first as putting a bike on the
> roof can be a bit of a stretch and there is no point spending between
> $114 and $158 for a rackmount that is a pain in the butt to use.

Yep, and how long before you forget and drive under that lowish
thing? Much more of an issue on a tall 4WDs.

Also, there seems to be more stress on the bike forks way up there,
even without hitting something. I have twice broken expensive alloy
MTB fork dropouts on the roof, both from "incidents" rather than
actual hits. Then there was that other time that I drove under the
house.....

Suggest look at a Thule spare wheel rack, or one of the towbar systems.

John Doe
September 16th 03, 03:25 AM
: actual hits. Then there was that other time that I drove under the
: house.....

Hehe. Me into a car port. Funny how you forget about these things.

John Doe
September 16th 03, 03:25 AM
: actual hits. Then there was that other time that I drove under the
: house.....

Hehe. Me into a car port. Funny how you forget about these things.

K&C Russell
September 16th 03, 12:36 PM
"Turbo Fahel" > wrote in message
> I have Rola roof racks on my 4wd and am looking for the best value
Forkmount
> Carrier bike rack. What do you recommend and where to buy from?
>
> Thanks for any assistance.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Turbo Fahel
> __o
> -\<,
> ( ) / ( )

Turbo,

Check out www.ebay.com.au I think there are 2 2ndhand ones for sale.

Kevin

K&C Russell
September 16th 03, 12:36 PM
"Turbo Fahel" > wrote in message
> I have Rola roof racks on my 4wd and am looking for the best value
Forkmount
> Carrier bike rack. What do you recommend and where to buy from?
>
> Thanks for any assistance.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Turbo Fahel