PDA

View Full Version : Buying a mountain bike

Arpit
September 16th 03, 07:36 AM
Hi, I'm looking to buy a mountain bike with suspension. My budget is
about 500 dollars.
I've been told to look for an aluminium frame, 8 or 9 speed rear
deraillers, and a cassette hub.

Can anyone offer any reccomendations as to a bike? I don't ride for
very long distances, and might only do 20 km a week or so.

gaza
September 16th 03, 11:31 AM
Read the thread on 6/9/03..New Bike...I got it
I just went through the same process and don't fall for 2003 sellouts...the
2004 models are cheaper with better components

"Arpit" > wrote in message
> Hi, I'm looking to buy a mountain bike with suspension. My budget is
> about 500 dollars.
> I've been told to look for an aluminium frame, 8 or 9 speed rear
> deraillers, and a cassette hub.
>
> Can anyone offer any reccomendations as to a bike? I don't ride for
> very long distances, and might only do 20 km a week or so.

Tim Jones
September 16th 03, 12:01 PM
"Arpit" > wrote in message
> Hi, I'm looking to buy a mountain bike with suspension. My budget is
> about 500 dollars.
> I've been told to look for an aluminium frame, 8 or 9 speed rear
> deraillers, and a cassette hub.
>
> Can anyone offer any reccomendations as to a bike? I don't ride for
> very long distances, and might only do 20 km a week or so.

The 2004 Giant Boulder SE sounds like a good option for you (what Gaza
mentioned).

You may be able to get the Rincon for about $500 as well (as
http://members.iinet.net.au/~ideal/giant2004.html). If you can get that one,
there is a decent shift in the specs of the bike.

I have the Yukon 2004, which has the same frame - I am very happy with it so
far.

Boulder SE 2004 Specifications
Frame: 6061 ALUXX aluminium
Forks: RST Capa CL 63mm Travel
Headset: 1 1/8" MH-501
Front Derailleur: Shimano C102
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Altus 8 Speed
Crankset: Shimano TY33 28x38x48
Shifters: Shimano EF-29 24 speed
B Bracket: Semi Cartridge
Hubs: Alloy, Joytech, 36H Q/Release
Rear: Shimano Altus 8 speed
Rims: Alloy
Tyres: Kenda
Brakes: Tektro Alloy V-Brake
H/Bar: Steel Riser
Seat Post: Alloy 30.8
Saddle: Giant comfort
Grips: Velo Kraton

Rincon SE 2004 Specifications
Frame: 6061 ALUXX aluminium Fluid Form
Fork: RST CapaT4 76mm Travel
Headset: CaneCreek 1 1/8 Integrated
Front Derailleur: Shimano Altus
Rear derailleur: Shimano Alivio 8 speed
Crankset: Shimano Altus 24x34x42
Shifters: EF 29 24 Speed
B Bracket: Sealed Cartridge
Hubs: Fromula Front; Shimano Altus Rear
Rims: Alloy
Tyres: Kenda
Brakes: Tektro Alloy V-Brakes
Stem: Alloy Riser 15 degree
Seatpost: Alloy
Saddle: WTB Giant
Grips: Velo

Tim Jones
September 16th 03, 12:01 PM
"Arpit" > wrote in message
> Hi, I'm looking to buy a mountain bike with suspension. My budget is
> about 500 dollars.
> I've been told to look for an aluminium frame, 8 or 9 speed rear
> deraillers, and a cassette hub.
>
> Can anyone offer any reccomendations as to a bike? I don't ride for
> very long distances, and might only do 20 km a week or so.

The 2004 Giant Boulder SE sounds like a good option for you (what Gaza
mentioned).

You may be able to get the Rincon for about $500 as well (as
http://members.iinet.net.au/~ideal/giant2004.html). If you can get that one,
there is a decent shift in the specs of the bike.

I have the Yukon 2004, which has the same frame - I am very happy with it so
far.

Boulder SE 2004 Specifications
Frame: 6061 ALUXX aluminium
Forks: RST Capa CL 63mm Travel
Headset: 1 1/8" MH-501
Front Derailleur: Shimano C102
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Altus 8 Speed
Crankset: Shimano TY33 28x38x48
Shifters: Shimano EF-29 24 speed
B Bracket: Semi Cartridge
Hubs: Alloy, Joytech, 36H Q/Release
Rear: Shimano Altus 8 speed
Rims: Alloy
Tyres: Kenda
Brakes: Tektro Alloy V-Brake
H/Bar: Steel Riser
Seat Post: Alloy 30.8
Saddle: Giant comfort
Grips: Velo Kraton

Rincon SE 2004 Specifications
Frame: 6061 ALUXX aluminium Fluid Form
Fork: RST CapaT4 76mm Travel
Headset: CaneCreek 1 1/8 Integrated
Front Derailleur: Shimano Altus
Rear derailleur: Shimano Alivio 8 speed
Crankset: Shimano Altus 24x34x42
Shifters: EF 29 24 Speed
B Bracket: Sealed Cartridge
Hubs: Fromula Front; Shimano Altus Rear
Rims: Alloy
Tyres: Kenda
Brakes: Tektro Alloy V-Brakes
Stem: Alloy Riser 15 degree
Seatpost: Alloy
Saddle: WTB Giant
Grips: Velo

gaza
September 16th 03, 12:22 PM
If you are only going to do 20k per week it may also pay you to (as I did)
to order your bike with more bitumen friendly tyres.
I just did a 65k ride (the first serious workout for the bike) on a
combination of hills/dirt/gravel/bitumen and it went great.

"Tim Jones" > wrote in message
. au...
> "Arpit" > wrote in message
> > Hi, I'm looking to buy a mountain bike with suspension. My budget is
> > about 500 dollars.
> > I've been told to look for an aluminium frame, 8 or 9 speed rear
> > deraillers, and a cassette hub.
> >
> > Can anyone offer any reccomendations as to a bike? I don't ride for
> > very long distances, and might only do 20 km a week or so.
>
> The 2004 Giant Boulder SE sounds like a good option for you (what Gaza
> mentioned).
>
> You may be able to get the Rincon for about $500 as well (as
> http://members.iinet.net.au/~ideal/giant2004.html). If you can get that
one,
> there is a decent shift in the specs of the bike.
>
> I have the Yukon 2004, which has the same frame - I am very happy with it
so
> far.
>
> Boulder SE 2004 Specifications
> Frame: 6061 ALUXX aluminium
> Forks: RST Capa CL 63mm Travel
> Headset: 1 1/8" MH-501
> Front Derailleur: Shimano C102
> Rear Derailleur: Shimano Altus 8 Speed
> Crankset: Shimano TY33 28x38x48
> Shifters: Shimano EF-29 24 speed
> B Bracket: Semi Cartridge
> Hubs: Alloy, Joytech, 36H Q/Release
> Rear: Shimano Altus 8 speed
> Rims: Alloy
> Tyres: Kenda
> Brakes: Tektro Alloy V-Brake
> H/Bar: Steel Riser
> Seat Post: Alloy 30.8
> Saddle: Giant comfort
> Grips: Velo Kraton
>
> Rincon SE 2004 Specifications
> Frame: 6061 ALUXX aluminium Fluid Form
> Fork: RST CapaT4 76mm Travel
> Headset: CaneCreek 1 1/8 Integrated
> Front Derailleur: Shimano Altus
> Rear derailleur: Shimano Alivio 8 speed
> Crankset: Shimano Altus 24x34x42
> Shifters: EF 29 24 Speed
> B Bracket: Sealed Cartridge
> Hubs: Fromula Front; Shimano Altus Rear
> Rims: Alloy
> Tyres: Kenda
> Brakes: Tektro Alloy V-Brakes
> Stem: Alloy Riser 15 degree
> Seatpost: Alloy
> Saddle: WTB Giant
> Grips: Velo

gaza
September 16th 03, 12:22 PM
If you are only going to do 20k per week it may also pay you to (as I did)
to order your bike with more bitumen friendly tyres.
I just did a 65k ride (the first serious workout for the bike) on a
combination of hills/dirt/gravel/bitumen and it went great.

"Tim Jones" > wrote in message
. au...
> "Arpit" > wrote in message
> > Hi, I'm looking to buy a mountain bike with suspension. My budget is
> > about 500 dollars.
> > I've been told to look for an aluminium frame, 8 or 9 speed rear
> > deraillers, and a cassette hub.
> >
> > Can anyone offer any reccomendations as to a bike? I don't ride for
> > very long distances, and might only do 20 km a week or so.
>
> The 2004 Giant Boulder SE sounds like a good option for you (what Gaza
> mentioned).
>
> You may be able to get the Rincon for about $500 as well (as
> http://members.iinet.net.au/~ideal/giant2004.html). If you can get that
one,
> there is a decent shift in the specs of the bike.
>
> I have the Yukon 2004, which has the same frame - I am very happy with it
so
> far.
>
> Boulder SE 2004 Specifications
> Frame: 6061 ALUXX aluminium
> Forks: RST Capa CL 63mm Travel
> Headset: 1 1/8" MH-501
> Front Derailleur: Shimano C102
> Rear Derailleur: Shimano Altus 8 Speed
> Crankset: Shimano TY33 28x38x48
> Shifters: Shimano EF-29 24 speed
> B Bracket: Semi Cartridge
> Hubs: Alloy, Joytech, 36H Q/Release
> Rear: Shimano Altus 8 speed
> Rims: Alloy
> Tyres: Kenda
> Brakes: Tektro Alloy V-Brake
> H/Bar: Steel Riser
> Seat Post: Alloy 30.8
> Saddle: Giant comfort
> Grips: Velo Kraton
>
> Rincon SE 2004 Specifications
> Frame: 6061 ALUXX aluminium Fluid Form
> Fork: RST CapaT4 76mm Travel
> Headset: CaneCreek 1 1/8 Integrated
> Front Derailleur: Shimano Altus
> Rear derailleur: Shimano Alivio 8 speed
> Crankset: Shimano Altus 24x34x42
> Shifters: EF 29 24 Speed
> B Bracket: Sealed Cartridge
> Hubs: Fromula Front; Shimano Altus Rear
> Rims: Alloy
> Tyres: Kenda
> Brakes: Tektro Alloy V-Brakes
> Stem: Alloy Riser 15 degree
> Seatpost: Alloy
> Saddle: WTB Giant
> Grips: Velo

Arpit
September 16th 03, 12:53 PM
Except 10-15 of those kilometers are offroad :) Maybe if I get good
i'll be able to still keep the amount of offroad riding constant, but
increase the amount of on road riding to 50km a week or soemthing.

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 21:22:14 +1000, "gaza"
> wrote:

>If you are only going to do 20k per week it may also pay you to (as I did)
>to order your bike with more bitumen friendly tyres.
>I just did a 65k ride (the first serious workout for the bike) on a
>combination of hills/dirt/gravel/bitumen and it went great.
>
>"Tim Jones" > wrote in message
. au...
>> "Arpit" > wrote in message
>> > Hi, I'm looking to buy a mountain bike with suspension. My budget is
>> > about 500 dollars.
>> > I've been told to look for an aluminium frame, 8 or 9 speed rear
>> > deraillers, and a cassette hub.
>> >
>> > Can anyone offer any reccomendations as to a bike? I don't ride for
>> > very long distances, and might only do 20 km a week or so.
>>
>> The 2004 Giant Boulder SE sounds like a good option for you (what Gaza
>> mentioned).
>>
>> You may be able to get the Rincon for about $500 as well (as
>> http://members.iinet.net.au/~ideal/giant2004.html). If you can get that
>one,
>> there is a decent shift in the specs of the bike.
>>
>> I have the Yukon 2004, which has the same frame - I am very happy with it
>so
>> far.
>>
>> Boulder SE 2004 Specifications
>> Frame: 6061 ALUXX aluminium
>> Forks: RST Capa CL 63mm Travel
>> Headset: 1 1/8" MH-501
>> Front Derailleur: Shimano C102
>> Rear Derailleur: Shimano Altus 8 Speed
>> Crankset: Shimano TY33 28x38x48
>> Shifters: Shimano EF-29 24 speed
>> B Bracket: Semi Cartridge
>> Hubs: Alloy, Joytech, 36H Q/Release
>> Rear: Shimano Altus 8 speed
>> Rims: Alloy
>> Tyres: Kenda
>> Brakes: Tektro Alloy V-Brake
>> H/Bar: Steel Riser
>> Seat Post: Alloy 30.8
>> Saddle: Giant comfort
>> Grips: Velo Kraton
>>
>> Rincon SE 2004 Specifications
>> Frame: 6061 ALUXX aluminium Fluid Form
>> Fork: RST CapaT4 76mm Travel
>> Headset: CaneCreek 1 1/8 Integrated
>> Front Derailleur: Shimano Altus
>> Rear derailleur: Shimano Alivio 8 speed
>> Crankset: Shimano Altus 24x34x42
>> Shifters: EF 29 24 Speed
>> B Bracket: Sealed Cartridge
>> Hubs: Fromula Front; Shimano Altus Rear
>> Rims: Alloy
>> Tyres: Kenda
>> Brakes: Tektro Alloy V-Brakes
>> Stem: Alloy Riser 15 degree
>> Seatpost: Alloy
>> Saddle: WTB Giant
>> Grips: Velo

Arpit
September 16th 03, 12:53 PM
Except 10-15 of those kilometers are offroad :) Maybe if I get good
i'll be able to still keep the amount of offroad riding constant, but
increase the amount of on road riding to 50km a week or soemthing.

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 21:22:14 +1000, "gaza"
> wrote:

>If you are only going to do 20k per week it may also pay you to (as I did)
>to order your bike with more bitumen friendly tyres.
>I just did a 65k ride (the first serious workout for the bike) on a
>combination of hills/dirt/gravel/bitumen and it went great.
>
>"Tim Jones" > wrote in message
. au...
>> "Arpit" > wrote in message
>> > Hi, I'm looking to buy a mountain bike with suspension. My budget is
>> > about 500 dollars.
>> > I've been told to look for an aluminium frame, 8 or 9 speed rear
>> > deraillers, and a cassette hub.
>> >
>> > Can anyone offer any reccomendations as to a bike? I don't ride for
>> > very long distances, and might only do 20 km a week or so.
>>
>> The 2004 Giant Boulder SE sounds like a good option for you (what Gaza
>> mentioned).
>>
>> You may be able to get the Rincon for about $500 as well (as
>> http://members.iinet.net.au/~ideal/giant2004.html). If you can get that
>one,
>> there is a decent shift in the specs of the bike.
>>
>> I have the Yukon 2004, which has the same frame - I am very happy with it
>so
>> far.
>>
>> Boulder SE 2004 Specifications
>> Frame: 6061 ALUXX aluminium
>> Forks: RST Capa CL 63mm Travel
>> Headset: 1 1/8" MH-501
>> Front Derailleur: Shimano C102
>> Rear Derailleur: Shimano Altus 8 Speed
>> Crankset: Shimano TY33 28x38x48
>> Shifters: Shimano EF-29 24 speed
>> B Bracket: Semi Cartridge
>> Hubs: Alloy, Joytech, 36H Q/Release
>> Rear: Shimano Altus 8 speed
>> Rims: Alloy
>> Tyres: Kenda
>> Brakes: Tektro Alloy V-Brake
>> H/Bar: Steel Riser
>> Seat Post: Alloy 30.8
>> Saddle: Giant comfort
>> Grips: Velo Kraton
>>
>> Rincon SE 2004 Specifications
>> Frame: 6061 ALUXX aluminium Fluid Form
>> Fork: RST CapaT4 76mm Travel
>> Headset: CaneCreek 1 1/8 Integrated
>> Front Derailleur: Shimano Altus
>> Rear derailleur: Shimano Alivio 8 speed
>> Crankset: Shimano Altus 24x34x42
>> Shifters: EF 29 24 Speed
>> B Bracket: Sealed Cartridge
>> Hubs: Fromula Front; Shimano Altus Rear
>> Rims: Alloy
>> Tyres: Kenda
>> Brakes: Tektro Alloy V-Brakes
>> Stem: Alloy Riser 15 degree
>> Seatpost: Alloy
>> Saddle: WTB Giant
>> Grips: Velo

Arpit
September 16th 03, 12:54 PM
hmm, yes, the 2004 Giant Boulder SE does look good. thanks :))

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 21:01:50 +1000, "Tim Jones"
> [...]

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 21:01:50 +1000, "Tim Jones"
> wrote:

>"Arpit" > wrote in message
>> Hi, I'm looking to buy a mountain bike with suspension. My budget is
>> about 500 dollars.
>> I've been told to look for an aluminium frame, 8 or 9 speed rear
>> deraillers, and a cassette hub.
>>
>> Can anyone offer any reccomendations as to a bike? I don't ride for
>> very long distances, and might only do 20 km a week or so.
>
>The 2004 Giant Boulder SE sounds like a good option for you (what Gaza
>mentioned).
>
>You may be able to get the Rincon for about $500 as well (as
>http://members.iinet.net.au/~ideal/giant2004.html). If you can get that one,
>there is a decent shift in the specs of the bike.
>
>I have the Yukon 2004, which has the same frame - I am very happy with it so

Arpit
September 16th 03, 12:55 PM
Thanks :) Also, btw, I take it i'll need to buy other things. these
would be a puncture repair kit, a horn, and a lock, and thats it,
right? Also, how much will a bike like the 2004 Giant Boulder SE need
maintenance? will I need to clean it everytime i come back from riding
?

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 20:31:26 +1000, "gaza"
> wrote:

>Read the thread on 6/9/03..New Bike...I got it
>I just went through the same process and don't fall for 2003 sellouts...the
>2004 models are cheaper with better components
>
>"Arpit" > wrote in message
>> Hi, I'm looking to buy a mountain bike with suspension. My budget is
>> about 500 dollars.
>> I've been told to look for an aluminium frame, 8 or 9 speed rear
>> deraillers, and a cassette hub.
>>
>> Can anyone offer any reccomendations as to a bike? I don't ride for
>> very long distances, and might only do 20 km a week or so.

Arpit
September 16th 03, 12:55 PM
Thanks :) Also, btw, I take it i'll need to buy other things. these
would be a puncture repair kit, a horn, and a lock, and thats it,
right? Also, how much will a bike like the 2004 Giant Boulder SE need
maintenance? will I need to clean it everytime i come back from riding
?

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 20:31:26 +1000, "gaza"
> wrote:

>Read the thread on 6/9/03..New Bike...I got it
>I just went through the same process and don't fall for 2003 sellouts...the
>2004 models are cheaper with better components
>
>"Arpit" > wrote in message
>> Hi, I'm looking to buy a mountain bike with suspension. My budget is
>> about 500 dollars.
>> I've been told to look for an aluminium frame, 8 or 9 speed rear
>> deraillers, and a cassette hub.
>>
>> Can anyone offer any reccomendations as to a bike? I don't ride for
>> very long distances, and might only do 20 km a week or so.

Tim Jones
September 16th 03, 03:00 PM
"Arpit" > wrote in message
> Thanks :) Also, btw, I take it i'll need to buy other things. these
> would be a puncture repair kit, a horn, and a lock, and thats it,
> right? Also, how much will a bike like the 2004 Giant Boulder SE need
> maintenance? will I need to clean it everytime i come back from riding
> ?

My LBS gives one year maintenance on a new bike - not sure if it standard.

I tend to get a service every 6 months or so (about 2000km).

Yes, you should clean your bike after a ride, but I never do, and end up
paying more for maintenance.

I mainly ride on bitumen - offroad it would be more important.

Tim

Tim Jones
September 16th 03, 03:00 PM
"Arpit" > wrote in message
> Thanks :) Also, btw, I take it i'll need to buy other things. these
> would be a puncture repair kit, a horn, and a lock, and thats it,
> right? Also, how much will a bike like the 2004 Giant Boulder SE need
> maintenance? will I need to clean it everytime i come back from riding
> ?

My LBS gives one year maintenance on a new bike - not sure if it standard.

I tend to get a service every 6 months or so (about 2000km).

Yes, you should clean your bike after a ride, but I never do, and end up
paying more for maintenance.

I mainly ride on bitumen - offroad it would be more important.

Tim

Al User
September 16th 03, 04:26 PM
Arpit wrote:

> Thanks :) Also, btw, I take it i'll need to buy other things. these
> would be a puncture repair kit, a horn, and a lock, and thats it,
> right? Also, how much will a bike like the 2004 Giant Boulder SE need
> maintenance? will I need to clean it everytime i come back from riding
> ?

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT buy a "cable" style bike lock.
They may look thick enough to stop any cutters, but the theives take about
20 seconds to cut through them.
I've seen three shots captured from a security camera at 30 sec intervals.
Shot 1, 2 guys standing near bike at bike racks.
Shot 2, 1 guy on lookout and the other crouched at bike.
Shot 3 No guys, No bike!
1 minute to disappear.
The shots were obtained by the police following the reported theft so
they know how the bike was secured. 1x16mm Dia. cable lock.
The recommendation is to buy a quality case hardened D-shackle or "U-lock"
Follow the manufacturers recommensdations to mount it as high as possible
and leave minimum gap between the bike, wheel & post you are locking it to.

Al

Al User
September 16th 03, 04:26 PM
Arpit wrote:

> Thanks :) Also, btw, I take it i'll need to buy other things. these
> would be a puncture repair kit, a horn, and a lock, and thats it,
> right? Also, how much will a bike like the 2004 Giant Boulder SE need
> maintenance? will I need to clean it everytime i come back from riding
> ?

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT buy a "cable" style bike lock.
They may look thick enough to stop any cutters, but the theives take about
20 seconds to cut through them.
I've seen three shots captured from a security camera at 30 sec intervals.
Shot 1, 2 guys standing near bike at bike racks.
Shot 2, 1 guy on lookout and the other crouched at bike.
Shot 3 No guys, No bike!
1 minute to disappear.
The shots were obtained by the police following the reported theft so
they know how the bike was secured. 1x16mm Dia. cable lock.
The recommendation is to buy a quality case hardened D-shackle or "U-lock"
Follow the manufacturers recommensdations to mount it as high as possible
and leave minimum gap between the bike, wheel & post you are locking it to.

Al

Deep Freud Moors
September 17th 03, 12:52 AM
Al User > wrote in message
> Arpit wrote:
>
> > Thanks :) Also, btw, I take it i'll need to buy other things. these
> > would be a puncture repair kit, a horn, and a lock, and thats it,
> > right? Also, how much will a bike like the 2004 Giant Boulder SE need
> > maintenance? will I need to clean it everytime i come back from riding
> > ?
>
> Do not, I repeat, DO NOT buy a "cable" style bike lock.
> They may look thick enough to stop any cutters, but the theives take about
> 20 seconds to cut through them.
> I've seen three shots captured from a security camera at 30 sec intervals.
> Shot 1, 2 guys standing near bike at bike racks.
> Shot 2, 1 guy on lookout and the other crouched at bike.
> Shot 3 No guys, No bike!
> 1 minute to disappear.
> The shots were obtained by the police following the reported theft so
> they know how the bike was secured. 1x16mm Dia. cable lock.
> The recommendation is to buy a quality case hardened D-shackle or "U-lock"
> Follow the manufacturers recommensdations to mount it as high as possible
> and leave minimum gap between the bike, wheel & post you are locking it
to.

Choosing the location where you lock your bike up is just as important. If
you lock it up in clear view of a busy restaurant, potential thieves wont
know if you are in there looking on or not. If you can park it in a shopping
mall in a place where there are likely to be security cameras and plenty of
people around, it will deter them too.

I use a cable lock, and have for about 6 years in various locations
(including Amsterdam!!!), never having had a bike stolen yet. I just rely on
putting it in a place that's unlikely to be targetted by thieves. Also,
having a fairly ratty looking bike and having the seat up really high (I am
big) probably helps too. When going into a shop to buy something, I often
just lock the helmet around the wheel. Anyone trying to run off with it will
inevitably not notice this, and wheeling it off will result in the bike
coming to a halt. They then drop the bike and run off (it has happened twice
now). I would not try this with an expensive bike.

If you have an obviously expensive bike, don't leave it out of your sight,
even with a good lock. Someone may feel the need to help themselves to some
of your components! Quick release seats and wheels should be avoided if
possible. They only make a small difference in the time it takes to service
your bike anyway, but make it easy for thieves.
---
DFM

Deep Freud Moors
September 17th 03, 12:52 AM
Al User > wrote in message
> Arpit wrote:
>
> > Thanks :) Also, btw, I take it i'll need to buy other things. these
> > would be a puncture repair kit, a horn, and a lock, and thats it,
> > right? Also, how much will a bike like the 2004 Giant Boulder SE need
> > maintenance? will I need to clean it everytime i come back from riding
> > ?
>
> Do not, I repeat, DO NOT buy a "cable" style bike lock.
> They may look thick enough to stop any cutters, but the theives take about
> 20 seconds to cut through them.
> I've seen three shots captured from a security camera at 30 sec intervals.
> Shot 1, 2 guys standing near bike at bike racks.
> Shot 2, 1 guy on lookout and the other crouched at bike.
> Shot 3 No guys, No bike!
> 1 minute to disappear.
> The shots were obtained by the police following the reported theft so
> they know how the bike was secured. 1x16mm Dia. cable lock.
> The recommendation is to buy a quality case hardened D-shackle or "U-lock"
> Follow the manufacturers recommensdations to mount it as high as possible
> and leave minimum gap between the bike, wheel & post you are locking it
to.

Choosing the location where you lock your bike up is just as important. If
you lock it up in clear view of a busy restaurant, potential thieves wont
know if you are in there looking on or not. If you can park it in a shopping
mall in a place where there are likely to be security cameras and plenty of
people around, it will deter them too.

I use a cable lock, and have for about 6 years in various locations
(including Amsterdam!!!), never having had a bike stolen yet. I just rely on
putting it in a place that's unlikely to be targetted by thieves. Also,
having a fairly ratty looking bike and having the seat up really high (I am
big) probably helps too. When going into a shop to buy something, I often
just lock the helmet around the wheel. Anyone trying to run off with it will
inevitably not notice this, and wheeling it off will result in the bike
coming to a halt. They then drop the bike and run off (it has happened twice
now). I would not try this with an expensive bike.

If you have an obviously expensive bike, don't leave it out of your sight,
even with a good lock. Someone may feel the need to help themselves to some
of your components! Quick release seats and wheels should be avoided if
possible. They only make a small difference in the time it takes to service
your bike anyway, but make it easy for thieves.
---
DFM

its_stuart
September 17th 03, 01:03 AM
Hi Gaza Arpit and Tim :)

I'm really impressed with what 500 dollars will get you these days. the
Giant looks like great bang fer bucks!

If you are going to do alot of road riding I recommend a rear-vision
mirror. You can get them for under $10 from Kmart or whatever but I like
the strap on variety for about $30. It straps onto the end of your
handlebars with velcro so you can take it off easily for off-road riding
or security. The mirror is better qual so you see the *******s sooner.

its_stuart
September 17th 03, 01:03 AM
Hi Gaza Arpit and Tim :)

I'm really impressed with what 500 dollars will get you these days. the
Giant looks like great bang fer bucks!

If you are going to do alot of road riding I recommend a rear-vision
mirror. You can get them for under $10 from Kmart or whatever but I like
the strap on variety for about $30. It straps onto the end of your
handlebars with velcro so you can take it off easily for off-road riding
or security. The mirror is better qual so you see the *******s sooner.

hippy
September 17th 03, 02:16 PM
"Arpit" > wrote in message
> Thanks :) Also, btw, I take it i'll need to buy other things. these
> would be a puncture repair kit, a horn, and a lock, and thats it,
> right? Also, how much will a bike like the 2004 Giant Boulder SE need
> maintenance? will I need to clean it everytime i come back from riding

A horn? :-P
Maybe buy a frame pump?
Water bottle and cage (should get them to include these).
A speedo used to be my favourite toy.
Gloves, helmet any other clothes you might need.

What type of riding will you be doing?
If you are going offroad a camelbak is good and in it
you can put spare chain links, multi-tool (or chain tool,
5/6mm allen keys, spanners, etc), spare tube/s, your
patch kit, heaps of other stuff that you will only realise
you need/want when you.. need or want it! :-)
Mobile phone + loving companion are a great
alternatives to patches and spare tubes.. hehe!

hippy

hippy
September 17th 03, 02:16 PM
"Arpit" > wrote in message
> Thanks :) Also, btw, I take it i'll need to buy other things. these
> would be a puncture repair kit, a horn, and a lock, and thats it,
> right? Also, how much will a bike like the 2004 Giant Boulder SE need
> maintenance? will I need to clean it everytime i come back from riding

A horn? :-P
Maybe buy a frame pump?
Water bottle and cage (should get them to include these).
A speedo used to be my favourite toy.
Gloves, helmet any other clothes you might need.

What type of riding will you be doing?
If you are going offroad a camelbak is good and in it
you can put spare chain links, multi-tool (or chain tool,
5/6mm allen keys, spanners, etc), spare tube/s, your
patch kit, heaps of other stuff that you will only realise
you need/want when you.. need or want it! :-)
Mobile phone + loving companion are a great
alternatives to patches and spare tubes.. hehe!

hippy

hippy
September 17th 03, 02:19 PM
"Deep Freud Moors" > wrote in message
> big) probably helps too. When going into a shop to buy something, I often
> just lock the helmet around the wheel. Anyone trying to run off with it
will
> inevitably not notice this, and wheeling it off will result in the bike
> coming to a halt. They then drop the bike and run off (it has happened
twice
> now). I would not try this with an expensive bike.

Tighten the brakes up using the barrel adjusters on the brake cables so the
bike cannot be rolled away. I like the helmet through the wheel trick.
Basically.. don't leave your bike out of your site, unless it's locked in
your
office or home.

> If you have an obviously expensive bike, don't leave it out of your sight,

Oh, you said that already... ;-)

hth

> big) probably helps too. When going into a shop to buy something, I often
> just lock the helmet around the wheel. Anyone trying to run off with it
will
> inevitably not notice this, and wheeling it off will result in the bike
> coming to a halt. They then drop the bike and run off (it has happened
twice
> now). I would not try this with an expensive bike.

Tighten the brakes up using the barrel adjusters on the brake cables so the
bike cannot be rolled away. I like the helmet through the wheel trick.
Basically.. don't leave your bike out of your site, unless it's locked in
your
office or home.

> If you have an obviously expensive bike, don't leave it out of your sight,

Oh, you said that already... ;-)

hth
hippy

karma_2120
September 18th 03, 09:05 PM
trek i hear are the best...

"Arpit" > wrote in message
> Hi, I'm looking to buy a mountain bike with suspension. My budget is
> about 500 dollars.
> I've been told to look for an aluminium frame, 8 or 9 speed rear
> deraillers, and a cassette hub.
>
> Can anyone offer any reccomendations as to a bike? I don't ride for
> very long distances, and might only do 20 km a week or so.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home