PDA

View Full Version : Kids on the Sydney to Gong

joemax
September 17th 03, 11:41 AM
It seems that children under 12 have been banned from the Sydney to Gong
ride this year, or at least the web site refuses to accept their
registrations.

Does anyone know anything about this? My kids (then aged 8 and 10)
completed the 58km last year and, after quite a bit of training, the
older one was keen to do the full 90km this year. I'm confident he can
do the distance but I can't register him without lying about his age.

There must be a few hundred kids under 12 who complete the short course
each year. Is this another rule fropm our cycle friendly NSW police?

Col Jones
September 17th 03, 03:58 PM
Why don't you ring MS Outdoor events and ask (02) 9413 4166. Give
them a false name. Then make a judgement based on the MS risk
assesment and your assement of your kids cababilities. And then lie
(and be self insured).

It may well be that kids under 12 are free. If you read the fine
print you will notice that kids under 16 are to be accompanied by an
adult but no lower limit was set.

It may be the fuzz, it might also be our mates from the insurance
racket.

Cheers

wrote:

>It seems that children under 12 have been banned from the Sydney to Gong
>ride this year, or at least the web site refuses to accept their
>registrations.
>
>Does anyone know anything about this? My kids (then aged 8 and 10)
>completed the 58km last year and, after quite a bit of training, the
>older one was keen to do the full 90km this year. I'm confident he can
>do the distance but I can't register him without lying about his age.
>
>There must be a few hundred kids under 12 who complete the short course
>each year. Is this another rule fropm our cycle friendly NSW police?

Suzy Jackson
October 6th 03, 09:37 AM
I did the 'Gong ride in 2000 and 2002.

2000 was pretty wet, which was a good thing because it deterred many of the
slower riders. Even more were deterred when they cancelled the ride half
way through. Luckily though, I snuck through the roadblock with a bunch of
other determined riders (after promising to remove our numbers) and had a
really enjoyable ride, despite being totally soaked.

I did it again in 2002, and didn't have nearly as good a time. I was
frustrated continually by inexperienced cyclists riding three or four
abreast at walking pace (often weaving all over the place), and police
abusing anyone who dared ride more than a couple of feet from the gutter.

Sheldon Brown has a good writeup about charity rides, at
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/thons.html which I've really come to appreciate
after riding the 'Gong ride (and moreso after riding part of RTA cycle
Sydney with my partner). I really don't think these rides do the cause any
good at all, as all they do is reinforce the idea that cycling is a painful
activity that should only be done under close police supervision.

Yesterday, I revisited some of the 'Gong route, on a weekend social ride
with Muggaccinos (http://www.muggaccinos.com). I had a real blast; the
company was good, the pies at Otford were particularly tasty after 60km in
the saddle, and there were no huge crowds to deal with.

I've decided I'm not going to bother with the 'Gong ride any more, as I can
do without the frustration. Perhaps you and your kids would be well served
by just getting out and riding with like minded people, like the muggs, or
bikenorth, or any of a multitude of other groups that have fun on the
weekends on their bikes, rather than a huge number of people who see it as a
huge sacrifice.

Regards,

Suzy

[...]

Cody
October 6th 03, 10:12 AM
"Suzy Jackson" > wrote in message
> I did the 'Gong ride in 2000 and 2002.
>
>I did it again in 2002, and didn't have nearly as good a time. I was
> rustrated continually by inexperienced cyclists riding three or four
> abreast at walking pace (often weaving all over the place), and police
> abusing anyone who dared ride more than a couple of feet from the gutter.

What exactly did you expect from a ride which advertises that 10000 people
will be taking part? A bunch sprint?

Cody
October 6th 03, 10:12 AM
"Suzy Jackson" > wrote in message
> I did the 'Gong ride in 2000 and 2002.
>
>I did it again in 2002, and didn't have nearly as good a time. I was
> rustrated continually by inexperienced cyclists riding three or four
> abreast at walking pace (often weaving all over the place), and police
> abusing anyone who dared ride more than a couple of feet from the gutter.

What exactly did you expect from a ride which advertises that 10000 people
will be taking part? A bunch sprint?

John Doe
October 6th 03, 10:34 AM
: I did it again in 2002, and didn't have nearly as good a time. I was
: frustrated continually by inexperienced cyclists riding three or four
: abreast at walking pace (often weaving all over the place), and police
: abusing anyone who dared ride more than a couple of feet from the gutter.

yes. You forgot about the riders who cannot manage a hill and just stop in
front of you while you are cruising. Very dangerous. I had a fair few
people do that. I also had someone as I was riding up a straight hill and a
few people were riding along on the left. Then as I was just about to pass
one of them without looking just weaved straight out. Oh well I do expect
it on those big social rides. There are some that are first timers that
continue to ride after that.

Pete

John Doe
October 6th 03, 10:34 AM
: I did it again in 2002, and didn't have nearly as good a time. I was
: frustrated continually by inexperienced cyclists riding three or four
: abreast at walking pace (often weaving all over the place), and police
: abusing anyone who dared ride more than a couple of feet from the gutter.

yes. You forgot about the riders who cannot manage a hill and just stop in
front of you while you are cruising. Very dangerous. I had a fair few
people do that. I also had someone as I was riding up a straight hill and a
few people were riding along on the left. Then as I was just about to pass
one of them without looking just weaved straight out. Oh well I do expect
it on those big social rides. There are some that are first timers that
continue to ride after that.

Pete

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home