PDA

View Full Version : Your advice on the Norco- Rage

its_stuart
September 18th 03, 04:38 AM
Hi everyone, I have an opportunity to pickup a Norca- Rage
http://www.beasleycycles.com.au/images/rage.jpg (last years model) for
$1000. I know the owner and he bought the bike and had 2 rides and then
blew up his knee playing soccer. He hasn't ridden since despite being
advised to get back on it. The bike is in as new condition. Do you think
a grand is to much?

Thanks, Stu

Tim Jones
September 18th 03, 01:04 PM
"its_stuart" > wrote in message
> Hi everyone, I have an opportunity to pickup a Norca- Rage
> http://www.beasleycycles.com.au/images/rage.jpg (last years model) for
> $1000. I know the owner and he bought the bike and had 2 rides and then
> blew up his knee playing soccer. He hasn't ridden since despite being
> advised to get back on it. The bike is in as new condition. Do you think
> a grand is to much?

See:

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/2002_Full_Suspension/product_85428.shtml

Sounds like a great bike. The Australian reviews all got the bike for around
$2000 new.

If it is pretty schpicky, the bike sounds like a great buy. Good specs - are
you sure you want a full suspension bike however?

What will you be using it for road/trail/offroad? 40/40/20? A hardtail may
be a better buy for those sort of circumstances. You can get a similary
specced hardtail for a little more from the current runout sales because of
the 2004 models coming in.

All the best,

Tim

Tim Jones
September 18th 03, 01:04 PM
"its_stuart" > wrote in message
> Hi everyone, I have an opportunity to pickup a Norca- Rage
> http://www.beasleycycles.com.au/images/rage.jpg (last years model) for
> $1000. I know the owner and he bought the bike and had 2 rides and then
> blew up his knee playing soccer. He hasn't ridden since despite being
> advised to get back on it. The bike is in as new condition. Do you think
> a grand is to much?

See:

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/2002_Full_Suspension/product_85428.shtml

Sounds like a great bike. The Australian reviews all got the bike for around
$2000 new.

If it is pretty schpicky, the bike sounds like a great buy. Good specs - are
you sure you want a full suspension bike however?

What will you be using it for road/trail/offroad? 40/40/20? A hardtail may
be a better buy for those sort of circumstances. You can get a similary
specced hardtail for a little more from the current runout sales because of
the 2004 models coming in.

All the best,

Tim

hippy
September 18th 03, 02:44 PM
"Tim Jones" > wrote in message
> "its_stuart" > wrote in message
> > Hi everyone, I have an opportunity to pickup a Norca- Rage
> > http://www.beasleycycles.com.au/images/rage.jpg (last years model) for
> > $1000. I know the owner and he bought the bike and had 2 rides and then
> > blew up his knee playing soccer. He hasn't ridden since despite being
> > advised to get back on it. The bike is in as new condition. Do you think
> > a grand is to much?
>
> http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/2002_Full_Suspension/product_85428.shtml
>
> Sounds like a great bike. The Australian reviews all got the bike for
around
> $2000 new.

Actually there seems to be two aussie reviewers (both from the same place
though - bit sus) and they say they paid $1000, so $1000 second-hand is
possibly too much.

> What will you be using it for road/trail/offroad? 40/40/20? A hardtail may
> be a better buy for those sort of circumstances. You can get a similary
> specced hardtail for a little more from the current runout sales because
of
> the 2004 models coming in.

Yep, if you _need_ a full susser, I'd save up some more because this wont
cut it. If you don't _need_ full suspension (that's most people) then I'd be
looking for a nicer specced hardtail.
It might look flash but the spec isn't _that_ good - mix of Deore and
Acera with Formula hubs (I've heard bad things about their brakes).

Just a side note: BEWARE of these reviews! They are notoriously dodgy
and even if the person is not full of BS, they tend to be much too kind
when describing something they just shelled out wads of cash on...

Anyway, what sort of riding will you be doing?

hippy

hippy
September 18th 03, 02:44 PM
"Tim Jones" > wrote in message
> "its_stuart" > wrote in message
> > Hi everyone, I have an opportunity to pickup a Norca- Rage
> > http://www.beasleycycles.com.au/images/rage.jpg (last years model) for
> > $1000. I know the owner and he bought the bike and had 2 rides and then
> > blew up his knee playing soccer. He hasn't ridden since despite being
> > advised to get back on it. The bike is in as new condition. Do you think
> > a grand is to much?
>
> http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/2002_Full_Suspension/product_85428.shtml
>
> Sounds like a great bike. The Australian reviews all got the bike for
around
> $2000 new.

Actually there seems to be two aussie reviewers (both from the same place
though - bit sus) and they say they paid $1000, so $1000 second-hand is
possibly too much.

> What will you be using it for road/trail/offroad? 40/40/20? A hardtail may
> be a better buy for those sort of circumstances. You can get a similary
> specced hardtail for a little more from the current runout sales because
of
> the 2004 models coming in.

Yep, if you _need_ a full susser, I'd save up some more because this wont
cut it. If you don't _need_ full suspension (that's most people) then I'd be
looking for a nicer specced hardtail.
It might look flash but the spec isn't _that_ good - mix of Deore and
Acera with Formula hubs (I've heard bad things about their brakes).

Just a side note: BEWARE of these reviews! They are notoriously dodgy
and even if the person is not full of BS, they tend to be much too kind
when describing something they just shelled out wads of cash on...

Anyway, what sort of riding will you be doing?

hippy

Tim Jones
September 18th 03, 02:57 PM
"hippy" > wrote in message
> "Tim Jones" > wrote in message
> > "its_stuart" > wrote in message
> > > Hi everyone, I have an opportunity to pickup a Norca- Rage
> > > http://www.beasleycycles.com.au/images/rage.jpg (last years model) for
> > > $1000. I know the owner and he bought the bike and had 2 rides and
then
> > > blew up his knee playing soccer. He hasn't ridden since despite being
> > > advised to get back on it. The bike is in as new condition. Do you
think
> > > a grand is to much?
> >
> > http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/2002_Full_Suspension/product_85428.shtml
> >
> > Sounds like a great bike. The Australian reviews all got the bike for
> around
> > $2000 new.
>
> Actually there seems to be two aussie reviewers (both from the same place
> though - bit sus) and they say they paid $1000, so $1000 second-hand is
> possibly too much.

They were trying to convert through to US$. Down in the review area, three
said they paid about AUS$2000.

> > What will you be using it for road/trail/offroad? 40/40/20? A hardtail
may
> > be a better buy for those sort of circumstances. You can get a similary
> > specced hardtail for a little more from the current runout sales because
> of
> > the 2004 models coming in.
>
> Yep, if you _need_ a full susser, I'd save up some more because this wont
> cut it. If you don't _need_ full suspension (that's most people) then I'd
be
> looking for a nicer specced hardtail.
> It might look flash but the spec isn't _that_ good - mix of Deore and
> Acera with Formula hubs (I've heard bad things about their brakes).
>
> Just a side note: BEWARE of these reviews! They are notoriously dodgy
> and even if the person is not full of BS, they tend to be much too kind
> when describing something they just shelled out wads of cash on...

Yeah - I'd agree there - something has to be majorly wrong to prompt a
scathing review from someone who has just purposely paid money for it -
often aftersales service.

> Anyway, what sort of riding will you be doing?
>
> hippy

Tim Jones
September 18th 03, 02:57 PM
"hippy" > wrote in message
> "Tim Jones" > wrote in message
> > "its_stuart" > wrote in message
> > > Hi everyone, I have an opportunity to pickup a Norca- Rage
> > > http://www.beasleycycles.com.au/images/rage.jpg (last years model) for
> > > $1000. I know the owner and he bought the bike and had 2 rides and
then
> > > blew up his knee playing soccer. He hasn't ridden since despite being
> > > advised to get back on it. The bike is in as new condition. Do you
think
> > > a grand is to much?
> >
> > http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/2002_Full_Suspension/product_85428.shtml
> >
> > Sounds like a great bike. The Australian reviews all got the bike for
> around
> > $2000 new.
>
> Actually there seems to be two aussie reviewers (both from the same place
> though - bit sus) and they say they paid $1000, so $1000 second-hand is
> possibly too much.

They were trying to convert through to US$. Down in the review area, three
said they paid about AUS$2000.

> > What will you be using it for road/trail/offroad? 40/40/20? A hardtail
may
> > be a better buy for those sort of circumstances. You can get a similary
> > specced hardtail for a little more from the current runout sales because
> of
> > the 2004 models coming in.
>
> Yep, if you _need_ a full susser, I'd save up some more because this wont
> cut it. If you don't _need_ full suspension (that's most people) then I'd
be
> looking for a nicer specced hardtail.
> It might look flash but the spec isn't _that_ good - mix of Deore and
> Acera with Formula hubs (I've heard bad things about their brakes).
>
> Just a side note: BEWARE of these reviews! They are notoriously dodgy
> and even if the person is not full of BS, they tend to be much too kind
> when describing something they just shelled out wads of cash on...

Yeah - I'd agree there - something has to be majorly wrong to prompt a
scathing review from someone who has just purposely paid money for it -
often aftersales service.

> Anyway, what sort of riding will you be doing?
>
> hippy

hippy
September 18th 03, 03:09 PM
"Tim Jones" > wrote in message
> > Actually there seems to be two aussie reviewers (both from the same
place
> > though - bit sus) and they say they paid $1000, so $1000 second-hand is
> > possibly too much.
> >

> They were trying to convert through to US$. Down in the review area, three
> said they paid about AUS$2000.

Sorry... should've gone to bed hours ago! :-)

> > Just a side note: BEWARE of these reviews! They are notoriously dodgy
> > and even if the person is not full of BS, they tend to be much too kind
> > when describing something they just shelled out wads of cash on...
>
> Yeah - I'd agree there - something has to be majorly wrong to prompt a
> scathing review from someone who has just purposely paid money for it -
> often aftersales service.

One of the reviewers was talking about hydraulic brakes.. when it has
mechanical i.e. cable-operated disc brakes! :-)

hippy
- who doesn't own a duallie... yet.

hippy
September 18th 03, 03:09 PM
"Tim Jones" > wrote in message
> > Actually there seems to be two aussie reviewers (both from the same
place
> > though - bit sus) and they say they paid $1000, so $1000 second-hand is
> > possibly too much.
> >

> They were trying to convert through to US$. Down in the review area, three
> said they paid about AUS$2000.

Sorry... should've gone to bed hours ago! :-)

> > Just a side note: BEWARE of these reviews! They are notoriously dodgy
> > and even if the person is not full of BS, they tend to be much too kind
> > when describing something they just shelled out wads of cash on...
>
> Yeah - I'd agree there - something has to be majorly wrong to prompt a
> scathing review from someone who has just purposely paid money for it -
> often aftersales service.

One of the reviewers was talking about hydraulic brakes.. when it has
mechanical i.e. cable-operated disc brakes! :-)

hippy
- who doesn't own a duallie... yet.

its_stuart
September 20th 03, 04:23 PM
Sorry guys I had some computer issues that have kept me offline for a
couple of days.

-What will you be using it for road/trail/offroad? 40/40/20? A hardtail
may be a better buy for those sort of circumstances. You can get a
similary specced hardtail for a little more from the current runout
sales because of the 2004 models coming in.

-Anyway, what sort of riding will you be doing?

I'm being greedy I've already got a GT Avalanche with a hard tail (98
model) It's very nice (6060 aluminium XT/ LX) and I've been doing some
road riding and am starting to do more dirt. I have a mountain nearby
that has some nice tracks. The bike is holding up well but the rear
derailer is getting a bit dodgy. The Norco just happens to be an option.
The son of a workmate has it and I like new toys:)

Hey hippy is that your webpage up in the blue mountains??

http://www.thefathippy.com/

Regards,

Stu

[...]

September 22nd 03, 03:28 AM
"its_stuart" > wrote in message
> I'm being greedy I've already got a GT Avalanche with a hard tail (98
> model) It's very nice (6060 aluminium XT/ LX) and I've been doing some
> road riding and am starting to do more dirt. I have a mountain nearby
> that has some nice tracks. The bike is holding up well but the rear
> derailer is getting a bit dodgy. The Norco just happens to be an
option.
> The son of a workmate has it and I like new toys:)

Personally, I'd look elsewhere for a duallie, oh, and fix your
rear derr. on the hardtail ;-)

> Hey hippy is that your webpage up in the blue mountains??
> http://www.thefathippy.com/

Nope, that's "the fat hippy". I am merely _a_ fat hippy. ;-)

hippy

hippy
September 22nd 03, 03:28 AM
"its_stuart" > wrote in message
> I'm being greedy I've already got a GT Avalanche with a hard tail (98
> model) It's very nice (6060 aluminium XT/ LX) and I've been doing some
> road riding and am starting to do more dirt. I have a mountain nearby
> that has some nice tracks. The bike is holding up well but the rear
> derailer is getting a bit dodgy. The Norco just happens to be an
option.
> The son of a workmate has it and I like new toys:)

Personally, I'd look elsewhere for a duallie, oh, and fix your
rear derr. on the hardtail ;-)

> Hey hippy is that your webpage up in the blue mountains??
> http://www.thefathippy.com/

Nope, that's "the fat hippy". I am merely _a_ fat hippy. ;-)

hippy

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home