PDA

View Full Version : Re: Bike advice.

Peter Clinch
September 17th 03, 03:51 PM
Colin Blackburn wrote:
> In addition to building a recumbent and converting some of the bits left
> over to a fixed I've decide I can justify one more wedgie, at least to
> myself if not my partner or the bank balance.

[1-3 snipped]

> Is there a single sensible (type of) bike that would have the potential,
> with switching of tyres or whatever, to fulfill all three roles?

The closest you'd get would be a 'cross bike, I'd think, but I'd be
inclined to get a bike for what you *know* you'll do. "Well I'm bound
to get around to it one day" is all very well, but if it's 3 or 4 years
before you get round to it then something better may well be available
and/or for less, or they might have changed the rules or whatever. Or
you might have changed your other parameters.

> would I be more sensible just taking the rack and guards off my tourer
> and saving my money for something else?

You clearly want to go and spend some money on something... why not get
really upright for not too much money and get a Muni? Not the most
practical machine in the world it's true, but very good fun, and a real
sense of achievement riding it half a km without a break!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital

Arthur Clune
September 17th 03, 05:21 PM
Peter Clinch > wrote:

: The closest you'd get would be a 'cross bike, I'd think, but I'd be
: inclined to get a bike for what you *know* you'll do.

So sayeth a wise man.

A cross bike is your only option for something that will do it all,
but if you want something for tri/duo why not get a proper race bike?
If you've got a MTB then a MTB with slicks makes a better cross bike
than a cross bike with slicks makes a race bike if you see what I mean.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
"Techolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"

Colin Nelson
September 17th 03, 08:21 PM
"Colin Blackburn" > wrote in message
> In article >, says...
> > Peter Clinch > wrote:
> >
> > : The closest you'd get would be a 'cross bike, I'd think, but I'd be
> > : inclined to get a bike for what you *know* you'll do.
> >
> > So sayeth a wise man.
>
> Yeah, but!

Colin, check October issue of Cycling +, page 62 (and other articles) you
might find "inspiration" in there.
Colin N.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home