PDA

View Full Version : Re: Newspaper Campaigns Against Cyclists?

Just zis Guy, you know?
September 18th 03, 09:41 AM
"zzapper" > wrote in message
m...

> Such was HIS moral indignation, however, that I was set to thinking
> that he must have recently read an article which my fanciful
> imagination would see entitled "Cyclists all degenerates and/or asylum
> seekers".

He is driving under the influence of Tony Parsons, a serious offence for
which the standard penalty is removal of the goolies using a blunt saw.

The idea that rights are somehow there by right of purchase is a poisonous
one which was correctly identified as a potential weakness of motoring taxes
by Winston Churchill, arguing aganst the introduction of the Road Fund.

The truth is that we are on the road by right of way, whereas the drivers
are there under licence - a licence which can be revoked for behaviour of
the type you witnessed. I would report him, if I had a note of the number -
otherwise a nicely satirical letter to the local paper might help.

--
Guy
===

http://www.chapmancentral.com

zzapper
September 18th 03, 02:34 PM
>The truth is that we are on the road by right of way, whereas the drivers
>are there under licence - a licence which can be revoked for behaviour of
>the type you witnessed. I would report him, if I had a note of the number -
>otherwise a nicely satirical letter to the local paper might help.

I can't believe I didn't get his number, but as a warning to other
cyclists, when this kind of thing happens, it happens so fast, you
need to have pre-programmed yourself to react correctly.

zzapper
--

vim -c ":%s/^/WhfgTNabgureRIvzSUnpxre/|:%s/[R-T]/ /Ig|:normal ggVGg?"

http://www.vim.org/tips/tip.php?tip_id=305 Best of Vim Tips

wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX
September 18th 03, 07:15 PM
>He is driving under the influence of Tony Parsons, a serious offence for
>which the standard penalty is removal of the goolies using a blunt saw.

Oh now, rusty, blunt and bacteria riddled scalpel at the very least, Guy.
Followed by a slabbing.

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
This is sent from a redundant email
Mail sent to it is dumped
My correct one can be gleaned from
h*$el***$$n*$d$ot$**s**i$$m*$m$**on**$s$@*$$a**$*o l*$*.*$$c$om*$
by getting rid of the overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~

manana
September 19th 03, 04:07 AM
Zzapper wrote:
> Hi, I'm a 50 year old owner of two cars, but usually pop into town on my
> bike, liberating thus roadspace and a parking space for others, and
> gaining a bit of fitness for me.
> The other day on an inner-town cul-de-sac little used by vehicles, I was
> forced onto the pavement by a car with a wide trailor. I must have
> shouted out , but have no memory of this. The car stopped and a
> middle-aged man, far from commiserating, shouted off a load of
> obscenities at me. Taken a back I timidly suggested that he should watch
> out for cyclists, he then turned purple and shouted he paid tax and had
> rights . I called him a w**ker, and that was the end of it.
> Such was HIS moral indignation, however, that I was set to thinking that
> he must have recently read an article which my fanciful imagination
> would see entitled "Cyclists all degenerates and/or asylum seekers".
> I don't buy a newspaper but could easily image the ever loathsome Daily
> Mail writing such stuff.
> Can anyone confirm/deny?

The problem I see is that you assume that he can read!

Then I was thinking that you can always run the line that cars and
trucks are heavily subsidised forms of transport but I guess from your
description that he may not have understood that either

Gawnsoft
September 19th 03, 04:34 AM
On 17 Sep 2003 01:58:56 -0700, (zzapper) wrote (more
or less):

>Hi,
>I'm a 50 year old owner of two cars, but usually pop into town on my
>bike, liberating thus roadspace and a parking space for others, and
>gaining a bit of fitness for me.
>
>The other day on an inner-town cul-de-sac little used by vehicles, I
>was forced onto the pavement by a car with a wide trailor. I must have
>shouted out , but have no memory of this. The car stopped and a
>middle-aged man, far from commiserating, shouted off a load of
>obscenities at me. Taken a back I timidly suggested that he should
>watch out for cyclists, he then turned purple and shouted he paid tax
>and had rights .

And with every right there comes corresponding responsibility.

Cheers,
Euan
Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr

One Step Beyond
September 20th 03, 01:13 PM
I have had exactly this problem - a **** of a motorist cutting me up and
then saying he paid tax and I should get out of his way. I told him that I
pay ****ing tax on £65000 and tax on a BMW 535. He went worse and went for
me. I dropped the ****. I told this group this exactly the same story
three months ago and I got shouted down.
OSB

"zzapper" > wrote in message
m...
> Hi,
> I'm a 50 year old owner of two cars, but usually pop into town on my
> bike, liberating thus roadspace and a parking space for others, and
> gaining a bit of fitness for me.
>
> The other day on an inner-town cul-de-sac little used by vehicles, I
> was forced onto the pavement by a car with a wide trailor. I must have
> shouted out , but have no memory of this. The car stopped and a
> middle-aged man, far from commiserating, shouted off a load of
> obscenities at me. Taken a back I timidly suggested that he should
> watch out for cyclists, he then turned purple and shouted he paid tax
> and had rights . I called him a w**ker, and that was the end of it.
>
> Such was HIS moral indignation, however, that I was set to thinking
> that he must have recently read an article which my fanciful
> imagination would see entitled "Cyclists all degenerates and/or asylum
> seekers".
>
> I don't buy a newspaper but could easily image the ever loathsome
> Daily Mail writing such stuff.
>
> Can anyone confirm/deny?

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home