PDA

View Full Version : Nearly knocked off by the plod.

Simon Mason
September 24th 03, 12:27 PM
On my way home last night at 2230, I went down a narrow city street in a
rough area. There had been some sort of incident as there were about half a
dozen cop cars dotted around the road. As I was about to pass a parked cop
car, it suddenly started to move off with no warning and then proceeded to
turn right into a side street as I was passing it on its outside.

I went into full front brake screeching mode and shouted a few choice words
at it, much to the amusement of their colleagues in the street. I wonder if
I had been knocked off if they would have closed ranks and fitted me up as
the cause of the accident as it was my word against 20 coppers. They
wouldn't do something like that , would they? They would have reported their
mate for "due care", surely. ;-)

--
Simon Mason
Anlaby

Tony Raven
September 24th 03, 12:34 PM
Simon Mason wrote:
> On my way home last night at 2230, I went down a narrow city street
> in a rough area. There had been some sort of incident as there were
> about half a dozen cop cars dotted around the road. As I was about to
> pass a parked cop car, it suddenly started to move off with no
> warning and then proceeded to turn right into a side street as I was
> passing it on its outside.
>
> I went into full front brake screeching mode and shouted a few
> choice words at it, much to the amusement of their colleagues in the
> street. I wonder if I had been knocked off if they would have closed
> ranks and fitted me up as the cause of the accident as it was my word
> against 20 coppers. They wouldn't do something like that , would
> they? They would have reported their mate for "due care", surely. ;-)

May be maybe not. Depends on their view of their colleagues and these days
they never know when someone might be hanging around with a video camera
running.....

Tony

--
"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything."
Mark Twain

Tony Raven
September 24th 03, 12:34 PM
Simon Mason wrote:
> On my way home last night at 2230, I went down a narrow city street
> in a rough area. There had been some sort of incident as there were
> about half a dozen cop cars dotted around the road. As I was about to
> pass a parked cop car, it suddenly started to move off with no
> warning and then proceeded to turn right into a side street as I was
> passing it on its outside.
>
> I went into full front brake screeching mode and shouted a few
> choice words at it, much to the amusement of their colleagues in the
> street. I wonder if I had been knocked off if they would have closed
> ranks and fitted me up as the cause of the accident as it was my word
> against 20 coppers. They wouldn't do something like that , would
> they? They would have reported their mate for "due care", surely. ;-)

May be maybe not. Depends on their view of their colleagues and these days
they never know when someone might be hanging around with a video camera
running.....

Tony

--
"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything."
Mark Twain

Sue
September 25th 03, 10:03 PM
In message >, Simon Mason
> writes
>On my way home last night at 2230, I went down a narrow city street in a
>rough area. There had been some sort of incident as there were about half a
>dozen cop cars dotted around the road. As I was about to pass a parked cop
>car, it suddenly started to move off with no warning and then proceeded to
>turn right into a side street as I was passing it on its outside.
>
> I went into full front brake screeching mode and shouted a few choice words
>at it, much to the amusement of their colleagues in the street. I wonder if
>I had been knocked off if they would have closed ranks and fitted me up as
>the cause of the accident as it was my word against 20 coppers. They
>wouldn't do something like that , would they? They would have reported their
>mate for "due care", surely. ;-)

It depends whether the other police were were from the same branch or a
different one. If they had boots and helmets, or plain clothes, they
might well say they hadn't seen the incident.

A local woman whose front wall was partly demolished by a cop car needed
her MP and all sorts to get them to pay for the damage.
The driver's story was that he'd swerved to avoid another car coming out
of a side road, and (as he wasn't on an emergency call) that he was
doing 30mph before the incident. An expert witness said "30mph sideways
when he hit the wall, and that's a conservative estimate." Fortunately
for other road users the driver lost his thumb in the crash, and
consequently his job.
I'm not siding with the householder because I knew her - she was always
moaning and I didn't like her - but I don't suppose her wall jumped out
in front of the police car.
--
Sue ]:(:)

Sue
September 25th 03, 10:03 PM
In message >, Simon Mason
> writes
>On my way home last night at 2230, I went down a narrow city street in a
>rough area. There had been some sort of incident as there were about half a
>dozen cop cars dotted around the road. As I was about to pass a parked cop
>car, it suddenly started to move off with no warning and then proceeded to
>turn right into a side street as I was passing it on its outside.
>
> I went into full front brake screeching mode and shouted a few choice words
>at it, much to the amusement of their colleagues in the street. I wonder if
>I had been knocked off if they would have closed ranks and fitted me up as
>the cause of the accident as it was my word against 20 coppers. They
>wouldn't do something like that , would they? They would have reported their
>mate for "due care", surely. ;-)

It depends whether the other police were were from the same branch or a
different one. If they had boots and helmets, or plain clothes, they
might well say they hadn't seen the incident.

A local woman whose front wall was partly demolished by a cop car needed
her MP and all sorts to get them to pay for the damage.
The driver's story was that he'd swerved to avoid another car coming out
of a side road, and (as he wasn't on an emergency call) that he was
doing 30mph before the incident. An expert witness said "30mph sideways
when he hit the wall, and that's a conservative estimate." Fortunately
for other road users the driver lost his thumb in the crash, and
consequently his job.
I'm not siding with the householder because I knew her - she was always
moaning and I didn't like her - but I don't suppose her wall jumped out
in front of the police car.
--
Sue ]:(:)

AndyMorris
September 25th 03, 11:24 PM
Simon Mason wrote:
> On my way home last night at 2230, I went down a narrow city street
> in a rough area. There had been some sort of incident as there were
> about half a dozen cop cars dotted around the road. As I was about to
> pass a parked cop car, it suddenly started to move off with no
> warning and then proceeded to turn right into a side street as I was
> passing it on its outside.
>
> I went into full front brake screeching mode and shouted a few
> choice words at it, much to the amusement of their colleagues in the
> street. I wonder if I had been knocked off if they would have closed
> ranks and fitted me up as the cause of the accident as it was my word
> against 20 coppers. They wouldn't do something like that , would
> they? They would have reported their mate for "due care", surely. ;-)

A long time ago they did it to my brother on his FS1E moped....

He was overtaking a stream of slow moving traffic when a car came out of a
side turning and hit him.

He started a claim against the driver, then the plods turn up at out house
at 6 in the morning to take him to the station for a chat.

Dad told them to bugger off or arrest him (my brother).

They buggered off but charged him with the lowest charge, "without due
consideration", or something. But the insurers threw the towel in.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this:

AndyMorris
September 25th 03, 11:24 PM
Simon Mason wrote:
> On my way home last night at 2230, I went down a narrow city street
> in a rough area. There had been some sort of incident as there were
> about half a dozen cop cars dotted around the road. As I was about to
> pass a parked cop car, it suddenly started to move off with no
> warning and then proceeded to turn right into a side street as I was
> passing it on its outside.
>
> I went into full front brake screeching mode and shouted a few
> choice words at it, much to the amusement of their colleagues in the
> street. I wonder if I had been knocked off if they would have closed
> ranks and fitted me up as the cause of the accident as it was my word
> against 20 coppers. They wouldn't do something like that , would
> they? They would have reported their mate for "due care", surely. ;-)

A long time ago they did it to my brother on his FS1E moped....

He was overtaking a stream of slow moving traffic when a car came out of a
side turning and hit him.

He started a claim against the driver, then the plods turn up at out house
at 6 in the morning to take him to the station for a chat.

Dad told them to bugger off or arrest him (my brother).

They buggered off but charged him with the lowest charge, "without due
consideration", or something. But the insurers threw the towel in.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this: