PDA

View Full Version : Shoes

Andy Laycock
September 27th 03, 07:57 PM
I have got back in to going out on my mountain bike recently and have
decided I need a new pair of shoes. My bike has toe clips and not these
clipless pedal affairs. All the shoes I have looked at on wiggle etc. say
they are compatible with these systems but can I just use them with standard
toe clips.

Any recommendations for a cheap pair of shoes (special offers etc. £35 is
about my max (poor student!!).

Cheers

Andy

Richard Bates
September 27th 03, 08:07 PM
On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 19:57:06 +0100, "Andy Laycock"
> in
> wrote:
>Any recommendations for a cheap pair of shoes (special offers etc. £35 is
>about my max (poor student!!).

If you sold your bike you could buy a more expensive pair of shoes.
The planet Magrathea often have end of line stuff.

In all seriousness tho, try mike dyason. There are often shoe bargains
available in restricted sizes, although they may not be MTB style.

Love and laces from Rich x

--
"Netiquette" states that
a signature should be

Richard Bates
September 27th 03, 08:07 PM
On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 19:57:06 +0100, "Andy Laycock"
> in
> wrote:
>Any recommendations for a cheap pair of shoes (special offers etc. £35 is
>about my max (poor student!!).

If you sold your bike you could buy a more expensive pair of shoes.
The planet Magrathea often have end of line stuff.

In all seriousness tho, try mike dyason. There are often shoe bargains
available in restricted sizes, although they may not be MTB style.

Love and laces from Rich x

--
"Netiquette" states that
a signature should be
no more than
four lines
long.

Stan Cox
September 27th 03, 08:35 PM
Andy Laycock wrote:
> I have got back in to going out on my mountain bike recently and have
> decided I need a new pair of shoes. My bike has toe clips and not these
> clipless pedal affairs. All the shoes I have looked at on wiggle etc. say
> they are compatible with these systems but can I just use them with standard
> toe clips.
>
> Any recommendations for a cheap pair of shoes (special offers etc. £35 is
> about my max (poor student!!).
>
> Cheers
>
> Andy

Andy.

I cant see why not. Have a look in your LBS and see if you think some
would work with toe clips. This is a good time for special offers so
good luck. Also someone else mentioned Mike Dyason. He's at
http://www.mwdyason.ltd.uk also Geoffrey Butlers in Croydon are worth a
look. If you could stretch to £40 they have some nice looking Shimano
shoes. They are at http://www.gbcycles.co.uk All the best.

Stan Cox

Stan Cox
September 27th 03, 08:35 PM
Andy Laycock wrote:
> I have got back in to going out on my mountain bike recently and have
> decided I need a new pair of shoes. My bike has toe clips and not these
> clipless pedal affairs. All the shoes I have looked at on wiggle etc. say
> they are compatible with these systems but can I just use them with standard
> toe clips.
>
> Any recommendations for a cheap pair of shoes (special offers etc. £35 is
> about my max (poor student!!).
>
> Cheers
>
> Andy

Andy.

I cant see why not. Have a look in your LBS and see if you think some
would work with toe clips. This is a good time for special offers so
good luck. Also someone else mentioned Mike Dyason. He's at
http://www.mwdyason.ltd.uk also Geoffrey Butlers in Croydon are worth a
look. If you could stretch to £40 they have some nice looking Shimano
shoes. They are at http://www.gbcycles.co.uk All the best.

Stan Cox

Simon Brooke
September 27th 03, 09:35 PM
"Andy Laycock" > writes:

> I have got back in to going out on my mountain bike recently and have
> decided I need a new pair of shoes. My bike has toe clips and not these
> clipless pedal affairs. All the shoes I have looked at on wiggle etc. say
> they are compatible with these systems but can I just use them with standard
> toe clips.

Yes, you can. You can use more or less anything including hiking boots
(which is what I used to use for mountain biking). The point about
special shoes is not that they rule anything out, but that they allow
something you couldn't otherwise use. It's worth trying spuds: you are
very likely to find you like them.

> Any recommendations for a cheap pair of shoes (special offers etc. £35 is
> about my max (poor student!!).

If you've got toe clips, the ones you have on your feet right now will
do fine, although something with a shank will do better. But FWIW
quite a lot of cycle shops have some amazing bargains just now - my
partner has just picked up a pair of perfectly nice NIKE mountain bike
shoes for £20 the pair from here:
<URL:http://www.wheel2wheel4bikes.com/offers.php>, and an even nicer
pair of Shimano boots - waterproof, strong, nice grippy sole *and* SPD
cleats - for not much more.

SJS have similar Shimano boots for thirty quid:
<URL:http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm?cat297.htm>

Settle Cycles have Shimano shoes from £35
<URL:http://www.settlecycles.co.uk/shop/list.asp?tid=45>

A word of warning, though, if mail-ordering - Shimano shoes are
amazingly narrow. I don't think I would be that keen to mail-order
shoes for fear they don't fit comfortably (although I'm currently
being seduced by a pair of purple, black and green Sidi boots which so
far I've only seen on websites).

I'm fed up with Life 1.0. I never liked it much and now it's getting
me down. I think I'll upgrade to MSLife 97 -- you know, the one that
comes in a flash new box and within weeks you're crawling with bugs.

Simon Brooke
September 27th 03, 09:35 PM
"Andy Laycock" > writes:

> I have got back in to going out on my mountain bike recently and have
> decided I need a new pair of shoes. My bike has toe clips and not these
> clipless pedal affairs. All the shoes I have looked at on wiggle etc. say
> they are compatible with these systems but can I just use them with standard
> toe clips.

Yes, you can. You can use more or less anything including hiking boots
(which is what I used to use for mountain biking). The point about
special shoes is not that they rule anything out, but that they allow
something you couldn't otherwise use. It's worth trying spuds: you are
very likely to find you like them.

> Any recommendations for a cheap pair of shoes (special offers etc. £35 is
> about my max (poor student!!).

If you've got toe clips, the ones you have on your feet right now will
do fine, although something with a shank will do better. But FWIW
quite a lot of cycle shops have some amazing bargains just now - my
partner has just picked up a pair of perfectly nice NIKE mountain bike
shoes for £20 the pair from here:
<URL:http://www.wheel2wheel4bikes.com/offers.php>, and an even nicer
pair of Shimano boots - waterproof, strong, nice grippy sole *and* SPD
cleats - for not much more.

SJS have similar Shimano boots for thirty quid:
<URL:http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm?cat297.htm>

Settle Cycles have Shimano shoes from £35
<URL:http://www.settlecycles.co.uk/shop/list.asp?tid=45>

A word of warning, though, if mail-ordering - Shimano shoes are
amazingly narrow. I don't think I would be that keen to mail-order
shoes for fear they don't fit comfortably (although I'm currently
being seduced by a pair of purple, black and green Sidi boots which so
far I've only seen on websites).

I'm fed up with Life 1.0. I never liked it much and now it's getting
me down. I think I'll upgrade to MSLife 97 -- you know, the one that
comes in a flash new box and within weeks you're crawling with bugs.

Andy Laycock
September 27th 03, 09:57 PM
> Settle Cycles have Shimano shoes from £35
> <URL:http://www.settlecycles.co.uk/shop/list.asp?tid=45>

Simon,

Thank you very much for that. I'm only 15 mins from Settle so I'll go and
have a look tomorrow.

Cheers

Andy

Andy Laycock
September 27th 03, 09:57 PM
> Settle Cycles have Shimano shoes from £35
> <URL:http://www.settlecycles.co.uk/shop/list.asp?tid=45>

Simon,

Thank you very much for that. I'm only 15 mins from Settle so I'll go and
have a look tomorrow.

Cheers

Andy

Google