PDA

View Full Version : Cork Tape or Foam Tubes?

Jon Rogers
September 30th 03, 06:50 PM
Hi,

I'm new to this dropped bar biz, and I want to fit a different stem.

Is tape or foam better (tape at the moment of course)?

And how difficult are they to fit? I've had a look at the Park Tools
pages, and it looks straightforward to apply tape.

Also, I'm not sure about routing brake and bar-end shifter cables under
foam tubes.

Any thoughts or experiences gratefully received.
--
Jon
jondotrogersatntlworlddotcom

M Series
September 30th 03, 07:28 PM
Jon Rogers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to this dropped bar biz, and I want to fit a different stem.
>
> Is tape or foam better (tape at the moment of course)?
>
> And how difficult are they to fit? I've had a look at the Park Tools
> pages, and it looks straightforward to apply tape.
>
> Also, I'm not sure about routing brake and bar-end shifter cables
> under foam tubes.
>
> Any thoughts or experiences gratefully received.

I'd be surprised if you could route cables under foam tape.

M Series
September 30th 03, 07:28 PM
Jon Rogers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to this dropped bar biz, and I want to fit a different stem.
>
> Is tape or foam better (tape at the moment of course)?
>
> And how difficult are they to fit? I've had a look at the Park Tools
> pages, and it looks straightforward to apply tape.
>
> Also, I'm not sure about routing brake and bar-end shifter cables
> under foam tubes.
>
> Any thoughts or experiences gratefully received.

I'd be surprised if you could route cables under foam tape.

Pete Biggs
September 30th 03, 07:53 PM
Jon Rogers wrote:

> Is tape or foam better (tape at the moment of course)?

Cork tape offers minimal padding but good grip. Foam can be too squashy
(I didn't like the foam tubing I tried years ago* but I suppose there are
different types now). There are other options, including using two layers
of tape; spongy plastic tape; foam strips to be added underneath ordinary
tape; gel mitts.

* in the days before cables went under the bars.

~PB

Pete Biggs
September 30th 03, 07:53 PM
Jon Rogers wrote:

> Is tape or foam better (tape at the moment of course)?

Cork tape offers minimal padding but good grip. Foam can be too squashy
(I didn't like the foam tubing I tried years ago* but I suppose there are
different types now). There are other options, including using two layers
of tape; spongy plastic tape; foam strips to be added underneath ordinary
tape; gel mitts.

* in the days before cables went under the bars.

~PB

Simon Brooke
September 30th 03, 10:05 PM
Jon Rogers > writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to this dropped bar biz, and I want to fit a different stem.
>
> Is tape or foam better (tape at the moment of course)?
>
> And how difficult are they to fit? I've had a look at the Park Tools
> pages, and it looks straightforward to apply tape.

Tape's easy, foam is much more difficult. Use lots of aerosol shaving
foam (seriously).

> Also, I'm not sure about routing brake and bar-end shifter cables under
> foam tubes.

Not especially difficult.

> Any thoughts or experiences gratefully received.

This is all a matter of preference and road shock. Fifteen years ago
when commuting about 24 miles a day round trip every day and doing a
lot of on-road longer trips I had a passion for 'grab-on' foam and
would not have anything else on my bike. I found it reduced
tingly-hands enormously. Ten years ago when I was commuting 42 miles a
day round trip but only when it wasn't raining I used handlebar
tape. It was on a different bike and on better roads, and I was doing
my 'recreational' cycling on my hill bike, but nevertheless I was
doing more miles and not suffering so badly with tingly hands.

So, in summary, both can be good. If you're suffering a lot from road
shock, and getting problems in your hands, foam will help (provided
it's good quality - the cheap foam is not worth having. But probably
different front forks would make just as much difference, and so might
a change of stem which rebalanced the proportion of weight going on
your hands.

;; I'd rather live in sybar-space

Simon Brooke
September 30th 03, 10:05 PM
Jon Rogers > writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to this dropped bar biz, and I want to fit a different stem.
>
> Is tape or foam better (tape at the moment of course)?
>
> And how difficult are they to fit? I've had a look at the Park Tools
> pages, and it looks straightforward to apply tape.

Tape's easy, foam is much more difficult. Use lots of aerosol shaving
foam (seriously).

> Also, I'm not sure about routing brake and bar-end shifter cables under
> foam tubes.

Not especially difficult.

> Any thoughts or experiences gratefully received.

This is all a matter of preference and road shock. Fifteen years ago
when commuting about 24 miles a day round trip every day and doing a
lot of on-road longer trips I had a passion for 'grab-on' foam and
would not have anything else on my bike. I found it reduced
tingly-hands enormously. Ten years ago when I was commuting 42 miles a
day round trip but only when it wasn't raining I used handlebar
tape. It was on a different bike and on better roads, and I was doing
my 'recreational' cycling on my hill bike, but nevertheless I was
doing more miles and not suffering so badly with tingly hands.

So, in summary, both can be good. If you're suffering a lot from road
shock, and getting problems in your hands, foam will help (provided
it's good quality - the cheap foam is not worth having. But probably
different front forks would make just as much difference, and so might
a change of stem which rebalanced the proportion of weight going on
your hands.

;; I'd rather live in sybar-space

NC
October 1st 03, 07:34 AM
"Jon Rogers" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to this dropped bar biz, and I want to fit a different stem.
>
> Is tape or foam better (tape at the moment of course)?

I think its personal preference. I use "grab-on" style foam tube. Others
prefer tape.

> And how difficult are they to fit? I've had a look at the Park Tools
> pages, and it looks straightforward to apply tape.

Tube is easy. Lubricate the tubes with a little water before applying. To
remove, use some sort of small stick to raise the tube a little, then a
sponge to work in water under the tube. I've tried other lubrication
methods for tubes and water is as good as any.

> Also, I'm not sure about routing brake and bar-end shifter cables under
> foam tubes.

Top tube grip is no problem (I think - my bike is so ancient that the brakes
are "classic" type, but the gear shifters (Suntour) route under the top
grip.). Not sure about bar-ends, suspect they may need a bit more thought,
or the tube to be split at some point (whereupon it will probably tear in
time).

Nigel

NC
October 1st 03, 07:34 AM
"Jon Rogers" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to this dropped bar biz, and I want to fit a different stem.
>
> Is tape or foam better (tape at the moment of course)?

I think its personal preference. I use "grab-on" style foam tube. Others
prefer tape.

> And how difficult are they to fit? I've had a look at the Park Tools
> pages, and it looks straightforward to apply tape.

Tube is easy. Lubricate the tubes with a little water before applying. To
remove, use some sort of small stick to raise the tube a little, then a
sponge to work in water under the tube. I've tried other lubrication
methods for tubes and water is as good as any.

> Also, I'm not sure about routing brake and bar-end shifter cables under
> foam tubes.

Top tube grip is no problem (I think - my bike is so ancient that the brakes
are "classic" type, but the gear shifters (Suntour) route under the top
grip.). Not sure about bar-ends, suspect they may need a bit more thought,
or the tube to be split at some point (whereupon it will probably tear in
time).

Nigel

marc
October 1st 03, 10:47 AM
M Series > wrote:

> I'd be surprised if you could route cables under foam tape.

I have, with non Aero hoods and no groove on the bars, it wasn't that
difficult

--
Marc
Please note this is now a redundant email address.

marc
October 1st 03, 10:47 AM
M Series > wrote:

> I'd be surprised if you could route cables under foam tape.

I have, with non Aero hoods and no groove on the bars, it wasn't that
difficult

--
Marc
Please note this is now a redundant email address.
Add an extra c at the end of marc to email.

David E. Belcher
October 1st 03, 02:10 PM
"Pete Biggs" > wrote in message >...
> Jon Rogers wrote:
>
> > Is tape or foam better (tape at the moment of course)?
>
> Cork tape offers minimal padding but good grip. Foam can be too squashy
> (I didn't like the foam tubing I tried years ago* but I suppose there are
> different types now). There are other options, including using two layers
> of tape; spongy plastic tape; foam strips to be added underneath ordinary
> tape; gel mitts.

Halfords, of all places, does good plastic foam bar tape for a fiver.
It *sounds* cheap and nasty, but from my own experience, it's been
good stuff - similar in appearance to cork tape, but a bit comfier
without losing any grip, and probably a couple of quid cheaper.

David E. Belcher

David E. Belcher
October 1st 03, 02:10 PM
"Pete Biggs" > wrote in message >...
> Jon Rogers wrote:
>
> > Is tape or foam better (tape at the moment of course)?
>
> Cork tape offers minimal padding but good grip. Foam can be too squashy
> (I didn't like the foam tubing I tried years ago* but I suppose there are
> different types now). There are other options, including using two layers
> of tape; spongy plastic tape; foam strips to be added underneath ordinary
> tape; gel mitts.

Halfords, of all places, does good plastic foam bar tape for a fiver.
It *sounds* cheap and nasty, but from my own experience, it's been
good stuff - similar in appearance to cork tape, but a bit comfier
without losing any grip, and probably a couple of quid cheaper.

David E. Belcher

Gary Sinnott
October 1st 03, 05:12 PM
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 19:53:59 +0100, "Pete Biggs"
> wrote:

>Jon Rogers wrote:
>
>> Is tape or foam better (tape at the moment of course)?
>
>Cork tape offers minimal padding but good grip. Foam can be too squashy
>(I didn't like the foam tubing I tried years ago* but I suppose there are
>different types now). There are other options, including using two layers
>of tape; spongy plastic tape; foam strips to be added underneath ordinary
>tape; gel mitts.
>
>* in the days before cables went under the bars.
>
>~PB

Foam, oh ha-ha, funny. Sorry. Just remembering when I got my first
set of foam grips. The fitting notes suggested using some washing up
liquid to help slide 'em on to the bars.

Didn't say anything about (NOT) going out in the rain afterwards.
Hell, it was like holding two very soaped-up sponges for weeks
afterwards.

Took months before I could go out in public if there was any hint of
moisture in the sky.

Gary

Reply to gary at data dot mildenhall dot com

Gary Sinnott
October 1st 03, 05:12 PM
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 19:53:59 +0100, "Pete Biggs"
> wrote:

>Jon Rogers wrote:
>
>> Is tape or foam better (tape at the moment of course)?
>
>Cork tape offers minimal padding but good grip. Foam can be too squashy
>(I didn't like the foam tubing I tried years ago* but I suppose there are
>different types now). There are other options, including using two layers
>of tape; spongy plastic tape; foam strips to be added underneath ordinary
>tape; gel mitts.
>
>* in the days before cables went under the bars.
>
>~PB

Foam, oh ha-ha, funny. Sorry. Just remembering when I got my first
set of foam grips. The fitting notes suggested using some washing up
liquid to help slide 'em on to the bars.

Didn't say anything about (NOT) going out in the rain afterwards.
Hell, it was like holding two very soaped-up sponges for weeks
afterwards.

Took months before I could go out in public if there was any hint of
moisture in the sky.

Gary

Reply to gary at data dot mildenhall dot com

Steph Peters
October 1st 03, 11:58 PM
Gary Sinnott > of BT Openworld wrote:
>Foam, oh ha-ha, funny. Sorry. Just remembering when I got my first
>set of foam grips. The fitting notes suggested using some washing up
>liquid to help slide 'em on to the bars.
>
>Didn't say anything about (NOT) going out in the rain afterwards.
>Hell, it was like holding two very soaped-up sponges for weeks
>afterwards.
>
>Took months before I could go out in public if there was any hint of
>moisture in the sky.

What you need is hair spray. Spray the bars so they are wet, slide the foam
grips on, then it dries all sticky and keeps the grips in position.

Now what do I do with the rest of the can?
--
Someone told me that each equation I included in the book would halve the sales.
Stephen W. Hawking

Steph Peters
October 1st 03, 11:58 PM
Gary Sinnott > of BT Openworld wrote:
>Foam, oh ha-ha, funny. Sorry. Just remembering when I got my first
>set of foam grips. The fitting notes suggested using some washing up
>liquid to help slide 'em on to the bars.
>
>Didn't say anything about (NOT) going out in the rain afterwards.
>Hell, it was like holding two very soaped-up sponges for weeks
>afterwards.
>
>Took months before I could go out in public if there was any hint of
>moisture in the sky.

What you need is hair spray. Spray the bars so they are wet, slide the foam
grips on, then it dries all sticky and keeps the grips in position.

Now what do I do with the rest of the can?
--
Someone told me that each equation I included in the book would halve the sales.
Stephen W. Hawking
Steph Peters delete invalid from
Tatting, lace & stitching page <http://www.sandbenders.demon.co.uk/index.htm>

Clive George
October 2nd 03, 08:49 AM
"NC" > wrote in message

> No, what you need is water. Dampen the bars and the insides of the grips.
> Slide them on. Within a day they will dry out and grip firmly.
>
> Remove by application of a little water from ends of grips and work it
along
> by slightly rotating the grips.

Mine were going nowhere until I injected water under the grips in the middle
(requires a handy hypodermic though!)

cheers,
clive

Clive George
October 2nd 03, 08:49 AM
"NC" > wrote in message

> No, what you need is water. Dampen the bars and the insides of the grips.
> Slide them on. Within a day they will dry out and grip firmly.
>
> Remove by application of a little water from ends of grips and work it
along
> by slightly rotating the grips.

Mine were going nowhere until I injected water under the grips in the middle
(requires a handy hypodermic though!)

cheers,
clive

Google