PDA

View Full Version : First Bike

Budgie
October 1st 03, 05:47 PM
Tempted by a Giant Cypress FS Gents 700c Comfort as a hybrid bike - my first
for 30 years!!

Specification is aluminium frame, RST suspension fork, 18 speed SRAM
shifters, Shimano derailleurs, Suspension seatpost, V brakes. Cost is £199
new from local shop.

Any good? I date from the days when everything was Campag - whatever
happened to large-flange wheel hubs, anyway?

Budgie

---

Simon Brooke
October 1st 03, 09:05 PM
"Budgie" > writes:

> Tempted by a Giant Cypress FS Gents 700c Comfort as a hybrid bike - my first
> for 30 years!!
>
> Specification is aluminium frame, RST suspension fork, 18 speed SRAM
> shifters, Shimano derailleurs, Suspension seatpost, V brakes. Cost is £199
> new from local shop.

Where are you going to ride it? All that suspension costs weight
(especially on a cheap bike), and that's weight you have to lug up
every hill. If you're riding on tarmac, it isn't worth it - the same
money would buy a lighter rigid bike which would be more comfortable
to ride in the long run, because lighter, and because you won't get
suspension bob on hills.

Obviously if you plan to ride on unpaved tracks to any significant
degree that's different. When the going gets rough, suspension really
makes a difference and is worth it.

But remember, less weight is what people pay for in bikes; get the
lightest bike you can of the style you want for the money you can
afford.

;; this is not a .sig

Simon Brooke
October 1st 03, 09:05 PM
"Budgie" > writes:

> Tempted by a Giant Cypress FS Gents 700c Comfort as a hybrid bike - my first
> for 30 years!!
>
> Specification is aluminium frame, RST suspension fork, 18 speed SRAM
> shifters, Shimano derailleurs, Suspension seatpost, V brakes. Cost is £199
> new from local shop.

Where are you going to ride it? All that suspension costs weight
(especially on a cheap bike), and that's weight you have to lug up
every hill. If you're riding on tarmac, it isn't worth it - the same
money would buy a lighter rigid bike which would be more comfortable
to ride in the long run, because lighter, and because you won't get
suspension bob on hills.

Obviously if you plan to ride on unpaved tracks to any significant
degree that's different. When the going gets rough, suspension really
makes a difference and is worth it.

But remember, less weight is what people pay for in bikes; get the
lightest bike you can of the style you want for the money you can
afford.

;; this is not a .sig

Budgie
October 1st 03, 10:19 PM
"Simon Brooke" > wrote in message
. uk...

| But remember, less weight is what people pay for in bikes; get the
| lightest bike you can of the style you want for the money you can
| afford.

Point taken. Any suggestions for similar money (or preferably less!).

Proposed use is mostly tarmac - maybe the odd potholed track or two, but not
many.

Budgie

---

Budgie
October 1st 03, 10:19 PM
"Simon Brooke" > wrote in message
. uk...

| But remember, less weight is what people pay for in bikes; get the
| lightest bike you can of the style you want for the money you can
| afford.

Point taken. Any suggestions for similar money (or preferably less!).

Proposed use is mostly tarmac - maybe the odd potholed track or two, but not
many.

Budgie

---

Simon Brooke
October 2nd 03, 11:35 AM
"Budgie" > writes:

> "Simon Brooke" > wrote in message
> . uk...
> |
> | But remember, less weight is what people pay for in bikes; get the
> | lightest bike you can of the style you want for the money you can
> | afford.
> |

> Point taken. Any suggestions for similar money (or preferably less!).

The Dawes Discovery 201, list price £200, quoted weight 28lbs, has
been well reviewed in the magazines. I think 28lbs is a lot for a
bike, but I expect you'll find the Giant is about 35lbs.

Do not sail on uphill water.
- Bill Lee

Simon Brooke
October 2nd 03, 11:35 AM
"Budgie" > writes:

> "Simon Brooke" > wrote in message
> . uk...
> |
> | But remember, less weight is what people pay for in bikes; get the
> | lightest bike you can of the style you want for the money you can
> | afford.
> |

> Point taken. Any suggestions for similar money (or preferably less!).

The Dawes Discovery 201, list price £200, quoted weight 28lbs, has
been well reviewed in the magazines. I think 28lbs is a lot for a
bike, but I expect you'll find the Giant is about 35lbs.

Do not sail on uphill water.
- Bill Lee

Budgie
October 2nd 03, 03:13 PM
"Simon Brooke" > wrote in message
. uk...
| The Dawes Discovery 201, list price £200, quoted weight 28lbs, has
| been well reviewed in the magazines. I think 28lbs is a lot for a
| bike, but I expect you'll find the Giant is about 35lbs.

Cheers - I'll have a look

Budgie

---

Budgie
October 2nd 03, 03:13 PM
"Simon Brooke" > wrote in message
. uk...
| The Dawes Discovery 201, list price £200, quoted weight 28lbs, has
| been well reviewed in the magazines. I think 28lbs is a lot for a
| bike, but I expect you'll find the Giant is about 35lbs.

Cheers - I'll have a look

Budgie

---

NIGEL
October 2nd 03, 05:45 PM
Have a look at www.falconcycles.co.uk, they make a wide range of
affordable bikes, even bikes at £260, with carbon forks

"Budgie" > wrote in message >...
> Tempted by a Giant Cypress FS Gents 700c Comfort as a hybrid bike - my first
> for 30 years!!
>
> Specification is aluminium frame, RST suspension fork, 18 speed SRAM
> shifters, Shimano derailleurs, Suspension seatpost, V brakes. Cost is £199
> new from local shop.
>
> Any good? I date from the days when everything was Campag - whatever
> happened to large-flange wheel hubs, anyway?
>
> Budgie
>

> ---

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home