PDA

View Full Version : Strange stone wall on The Chevin nr. Belper?

Peter Lander
October 2nd 03, 12:34 AM
On the east side of The Chevin is a large stone wall about 20 feet
high and maybe 30 feet wide set at an angle (facing south west approx
near the main path along the top). Anyone any idea of what this is /
was or why it was built?
I wondered if it was some war-time practice target or something?

Pete
(Looking north towards the Crooked Spire)
http://www.mountainactivitysection.org.uk

Peter Connolly
October 3rd 03, 01:01 AM
> I wondered if it was some war-time practice target or something?

Part of a rifle range, according to a web site I found. Have a look at
http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/areas_i_o/milford.htm and see if it sounds like
the same place.

Regards,

Pete.

--
Derby
UK

Peter Connolly
October 3rd 03, 01:01 AM
> I wondered if it was some war-time practice target or something?

Part of a rifle range, according to a web site I found. Have a look at
http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/areas_i_o/milford.htm and see if it sounds like
the same place.

Regards,

Pete.

--
Derby
UK

Tizer
October 3rd 03, 02:30 AM
Peter Lander wrote:
> On the east side of The Chevin is a large stone wall about 20 feet high
> and maybe 30 feet wide set at an angle (facing south west approx near
> the main path along the top). Anyone any idea of what this is / was or
> why it was built? I wondered if it was some war-time practice target or
> something?
> Pete (Looking north towards the Crooked Spire) http://www.mountain-
> activitysection.org.uk/http://www.mountainactivitysection.org.uk
> --

Peter, the only Chevin I know of is in Yorkshire (between Otley and
Guiseley) but I don't think you mean this one, do you?

Tizer
October 3rd 03, 02:30 AM
Peter Lander wrote:
> On the east side of The Chevin is a large stone wall about 20 feet high
> and maybe 30 feet wide set at an angle (facing south west approx near
> the main path along the top). Anyone any idea of what this is / was or
> why it was built? I wondered if it was some war-time practice target or
> something?
> Pete (Looking north towards the Crooked Spire) http://www.mountain-
> activitysection.org.uk/http://www.mountainactivitysection.org.uk
> --

Peter, the only Chevin I know of is in Yorkshire (between Otley and
Guiseley) but I don't think you mean this one, do you?

RJ Webb
October 3rd 03, 10:36 AM
On 3 Oct 2003 11:20:55 +0950, Tizer >
wrote:

>Peter Lander wrote:
> > On the east side of The Chevin is a large stone wall about 20 feet high
> > and maybe 30 feet wide set at an angle (facing south west approx near
> > the main path along the top). Anyone any idea of what this is / was or
> > why it was built? I wondered if it was some war-time practice target or
> > something?
> > Pete (Looking north towards the Crooked Spire) http://www.mountain-
> > activitysection.org.uk/http://www.mountainactivitysection.org.uk
> > --
>

>Peter, the only Chevin I know of is in Yorkshire (between Otley and
>Guiseley) but I don't think you mean this one, do you?

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=433710&Y=346450&A=Y&Z=3

Richard Webb

wrote:

>Peter Lander wrote:
> > On the east side of The Chevin is a large stone wall about 20 feet high
> > and maybe 30 feet wide set at an angle (facing south west approx near
> > the main path along the top). Anyone any idea of what this is / was or
> > why it was built? I wondered if it was some war-time practice target or
> > something?
> > Pete (Looking north towards the Crooked Spire) http://www.mountain-
> > activitysection.org.uk/http://www.mountainactivitysection.org.uk
> > --
>

>Peter, the only Chevin I know of is in Yorkshire (between Otley and
>Guiseley) but I don't think you mean this one, do you?

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=433710&Y=346450&A=Y&Z=3

Richard Webb

David D Miller
October 4th 03, 05:32 PM
"RJ Webb" > wrote in message
> >Peter Lander wrote:
> > > On the east side of The Chevin is a large stone wall about 20 feet
high
> > > and maybe 30 feet wide set at an angle (facing south west approx near
> > > the main path along the top). Anyone any idea of what this is / was
or
> > > why it was built? I wondered if it was some war-time practice target
or
> > > something?
>
> http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=433710&Y=346450&A=Y&Z=3

The OS 1:10,000 map shows "Butts (dis)" at SK338460 - close to the junction
of footpath and bridleway to the east of the 190 trig point. Go to:
http://www.magic.gov.uk/website/magic/viewer.htm?startTopic=magadminareas&sqgridref=SK338460
(http://tinyurl.com/ppmc) - and set scale to 1:3000.

David D Miller
Edinburgh

David D Miller
October 4th 03, 05:32 PM
"RJ Webb" > wrote in message
> >Peter Lander wrote:
> > > On the east side of The Chevin is a large stone wall about 20 feet
high
> > > and maybe 30 feet wide set at an angle (facing south west approx near
> > > the main path along the top). Anyone any idea of what this is / was
or
> > > why it was built? I wondered if it was some war-time practice target
or
> > > something?
>
> http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=433710&Y=346450&A=Y&Z=3

The OS 1:10,000 map shows "Butts (dis)" at SK338460 - close to the junction
of footpath and bridleway to the east of the 190 trig point. Go to:
http://www.magic.gov.uk/website/magic/viewer.htm?startTopic=magadminareas&sqgridref=SK338460
(http://tinyurl.com/ppmc) - and set scale to 1:3000.

David D Miller
Edinburgh