PDA

View Full Version : OT? Pub etiquette.

Simon Mason
October 2nd 03, 01:04 PM
Handy tips for foreign cyclists visiting the UK.

http://www.sirc.org/publik/ptpchap1.html

Simon

Peter B
October 2nd 03, 07:46 PM
"Simon Mason" > wrote in message
> Handy tips for foreign cyclists visiting the UK.
>
> http://www.sirc.org/publik/ptpchap1.html

Haven't read it all but I liked the section on ordering ettique. It's funny
how you take this for granted as a native and are unaware of the subleties
of the ritual until seeing it in print, must be totally baffling to a
foreigner but that's perhaps the beauty of it as it ensures the natives get
served first ;-)

Pete

Peter B
October 2nd 03, 07:46 PM
"Simon Mason" > wrote in message
> Handy tips for foreign cyclists visiting the UK.
>
> http://www.sirc.org/publik/ptpchap1.html

Haven't read it all but I liked the section on ordering ettique. It's funny
how you take this for granted as a native and are unaware of the subleties
of the ritual until seeing it in print, must be totally baffling to a
foreigner but that's perhaps the beauty of it as it ensures the natives get
served first ;-)

Pete

ouch
October 2nd 03, 08:19 PM
>Haven't read it all but I liked the section on ordering ettique. It's funny
>how you take this for granted as a native and are unaware of the subleties
>of the ritual until seeing it in print, must be totally baffling to a
>foreigner but that's perhaps the beauty of it as it ensures the natives get
>served first ;-)

I was mtb'ing with a CTC group a few weekends ago at the bar calmly
waiting to be served when along comes a guy, raises a tenner and
orders before me from behind.

What did I do wrong?

Normally if I was in London I might make a fuss but that day I was
enjoying the ride and couldn't be bothered.

ouch
October 2nd 03, 08:19 PM
>Haven't read it all but I liked the section on ordering ettique. It's funny
>how you take this for granted as a native and are unaware of the subleties
>of the ritual until seeing it in print, must be totally baffling to a
>foreigner but that's perhaps the beauty of it as it ensures the natives get
>served first ;-)

I was mtb'ing with a CTC group a few weekends ago at the bar calmly
waiting to be served when along comes a guy, raises a tenner and
orders before me from behind.

What did I do wrong?

Normally if I was in London I might make a fuss but that day I was
enjoying the ride and couldn't be bothered.

Hedgehog & Markarina
October 2nd 03, 10:17 PM
well until I lived in Germany, I'd have just mumbled gently to myself....but
18 months in a country where the concept of a queue is unknown taught me to
stand up for myself. So now I'd say clearly "I think I was next" and give
my order.....it generally works!

Cheers, Hedgehog

<ouch> wrote in message ...
> >Haven't read it all but I liked the section on ordering ettique. It's
funny
> >how you take this for granted as a native and are unaware of the
subleties
> >of the ritual until seeing it in print, must be totally baffling to a
> >foreigner but that's perhaps the beauty of it as it ensures the natives
get
> >served first ;-)
>
> I was mtb'ing with a CTC group a few weekends ago at the bar calmly
> waiting to be served when along comes a guy, raises a tenner and
> orders before me from behind.
>
> What did I do wrong?
>
> Normally if I was in London I might make a fuss but that day I was
> enjoying the ride and couldn't be bothered.

Sue
October 2nd 03, 10:32 PM
In message >, ouch
> writes
>
>I was mtb'ing with a CTC group a few weekends ago at the bar calmly
>waiting to be served when along comes a guy, raises a tenner and
>orders before me from behind.
>
>What did I do wrong?

Probably he knew the barperson, and would've got served before you in
almost any case.
You were right not to worry about it, the cyclists are only there now
and then, it's the regulars who keep the pubs in business for us. And
why spoil your day for a two-minute advantage?
--
Sue ]:(:)p

If the beer isn't well kept, then I make a fuss!

Sue
October 2nd 03, 10:32 PM
In message >, ouch
> writes
>
>I was mtb'ing with a CTC group a few weekends ago at the bar calmly
>waiting to be served when along comes a guy, raises a tenner and
>orders before me from behind.
>
>What did I do wrong?

Probably he knew the barperson, and would've got served before you in
almost any case.
You were right not to worry about it, the cyclists are only there now
and then, it's the regulars who keep the pubs in business for us. And
why spoil your day for a two-minute advantage?
--
Sue ]:(:)p

If the beer isn't well kept, then I make a fuss!

Tony W
October 3rd 03, 08:16 AM
<ouch> wrote in message ...

> I was mtb'ing with a CTC group a few weekends ago at the bar calmly
> waiting to be served when along comes a guy, raises a tenner and
> orders before me from behind.

In my previous local -- a pub 50 yards from home in a tiny village -- the
true regulars would often find their drink presented to them as they arrived
through the door. They (we) took precedence over passing trade.

Not an asked for privilege or even one that I was always comfortable with --
but the landlord knew where his regular income came from.

Tony W
October 3rd 03, 08:16 AM
<ouch> wrote in message ...

> I was mtb'ing with a CTC group a few weekends ago at the bar calmly
> waiting to be served when along comes a guy, raises a tenner and
> orders before me from behind.

In my previous local -- a pub 50 yards from home in a tiny village -- the
true regulars would often find their drink presented to them as they arrived
through the door. They (we) took precedence over passing trade.

Not an asked for privilege or even one that I was always comfortable with --
but the landlord knew where his regular income came from.

marc
October 3rd 03, 09:41 AM
Sue > wrote:

> You were right not to worry about it, the cyclists are only there now
> and then, it's the regulars who keep the pubs in business for us.

Actually in many pubs it's the visitors ( they might only be there once
individually but there's lots of them) that keep the pubs in business
for the regulars , there's not much profit in the wet trade and a few
cyclists drinking profitable pop and orange eating profitable lunch
more than makes up for lots of low profit beer.

--
Marc. Please note the above address is a spam trap, use marcc to reply
Printing for clubs of all types http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk

marc
October 3rd 03, 09:41 AM
Sue > wrote:

> You were right not to worry about it, the cyclists are only there now
> and then, it's the regulars who keep the pubs in business for us.

Actually in many pubs it's the visitors ( they might only be there once
individually but there's lots of them) that keep the pubs in business
for the regulars , there's not much profit in the wet trade and a few
cyclists drinking profitable pop and orange eating profitable lunch
more than makes up for lots of low profit beer.

--
Marc. Please note the above address is a spam trap, use marcc to reply
Printing for clubs of all types http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk
Stickers, banners & clothing, for clubs,teams, magazines and dealers.

Peter B
October 3rd 03, 05:00 PM
<ouch> wrote in message ...

> I was mtb'ing with a CTC group a few weekends ago at the bar calmly
> waiting to be served when along comes a guy, raises a tenner and
> orders before me from behind.
>
> What did I do wrong?

If you re-read "ordering ettique" you'll note that regulars can get away
with that behaviour.

Pete

Peter B
October 3rd 03, 05:00 PM
<ouch> wrote in message ...

> I was mtb'ing with a CTC group a few weekends ago at the bar calmly
> waiting to be served when along comes a guy, raises a tenner and
> orders before me from behind.
>
> What did I do wrong?

If you re-read "ordering ettique" you'll note that regulars can get away
with that behaviour.

Pete

ouch
October 3rd 03, 05:48 PM
><ouch> wrote in message ...
>>
>> I was mtb'ing with a CTC group a few weekends ago at the bar calmly
>> waiting to be served when along comes a guy, raises a tenner and
>> orders before me from behind.
>>
>> What did I do wrong?
>
>If you re-read "ordering ettique" you'll note that regulars can get away
>with that behaviour.
>
>Pete

Fair enough but if he wasn't a regular then that would be cheeky,
wouldn't it? ;-)

ouch
October 3rd 03, 05:48 PM
><ouch> wrote in message ...
>>
>> I was mtb'ing with a CTC group a few weekends ago at the bar calmly
>> waiting to be served when along comes a guy, raises a tenner and
>> orders before me from behind.
>>
>> What did I do wrong?
>
>If you re-read "ordering ettique" you'll note that regulars can get away
>with that behaviour.
>
>Pete

Fair enough but if he wasn't a regular then that would be cheeky,
wouldn't it? ;-)

Peter B
October 3rd 03, 06:10 PM
<ouch>:
> >> I was mtb'ing with a CTC group a few weekends ago at the bar calmly
> >> waiting to be served when along comes a guy, raises a tenner and
> >> orders before me from behind.
> >>
> >> What did I do wrong?

me:
> >If you re-read "ordering ettique" you'll note that regulars can get away
> >with that behaviour.

ouch:
> Fair enough but if he wasn't a regular then that would be cheeky,
> wouldn't it? ;-)

Me:
Bang out of order! :-)

Pete

Peter B
October 3rd 03, 06:10 PM
<ouch>:
> >> I was mtb'ing with a CTC group a few weekends ago at the bar calmly
> >> waiting to be served when along comes a guy, raises a tenner and
> >> orders before me from behind.
> >>
> >> What did I do wrong?

me:
> >If you re-read "ordering ettique" you'll note that regulars can get away
> >with that behaviour.

ouch:
> Fair enough but if he wasn't a regular then that would be cheeky,
> wouldn't it? ;-)

Me:
Bang out of order! :-)

Pete